Main Story Ch. 3-19 (NIGHT END) - The Seawaters and The Flames (海水与火焰) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/31/2021 08:52:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 



Previously on 3-16... (Read it here, or read the LIGHT END here)


Osborn: That's because you have yet to realize how dangerous I am. 


He suddenly leaned a little closer, opened my palm, placed a bunch sweet on it, turned around and suavely walked away.


Osborn: They are all yours.


I look at his figure gradually drifting away, and held onto the lemon-flavored sweets in my palms tightly.




The clouds with the colors of flames are now covered with the half-blue veil of the skies, night is coming.



Wen Wan: Wait for me a little at the entrance, I'll drive the car over.


You: Ok, sorry to bother you.


I took my gaze away from the distant skies, and looked towards the tattered shop, and for one moment I thought it looked like a background screen full of holes on the stage play of destiny. Groups of dragonflies flew past me lowly, and the sky is darkening. 



"Drip."


I can feel a drop of water fell onto my lashes.


You: It's raining?




The thunder sounded, followed by the crashing rain droplets. I quickly hid towards the eaves.


You: Why isn't Wen Wan back yet...


I was hesitating if I should look for him under the rain, but suddenly I noticed something bright-colored lying on the floor not far away from me.


That is an orange paper butterfly, just that the sides have been burnt.



I picked it up. At this moment, great sadness has almost drowned me. A grand parting has happened in my body, as if all of the regrets have turned into eternity at this very moment. I think, I will have this feeling carved into my mind forever.


At this moment, a footstep that is in no hurry could be heard from behind. I thought it's Wen Wan that have returned, but as soon as I turned around, something cold has covered my back.


Click clack, the sound of bullet being loaded could be heard.


You: !


I paused my breath, and when I was feeling at a loss, a familiar voice could be heard.


Evan: Close your eyes.


I'm now dragged into a wide embrace.



Until I'm surrounded with the familiar scent of silvery wormwood*, only by then I've realized that I've been trembling all over.


*T/N: The plant that Evan smells like is 苦艾草, or silvery wormwood. It's of the the Artemisia genus, usually found in east Asia. It has a little tint of spicy smell, and blooms in summer with little yellow flowers. The leaves has a scent of lemon. It's also said that if you place the leaves into the pillows it'll help you to sleep, as well as improve blood circulation.


Evan: Don't be afraid.


My vision is covered by Evan's palm, and everything before me is pitch black. I have no idea what happened, and I could only hear the sounds of metals colliding towards the floor.


After a moment, when the surroundings have turned completely quiet, the expected sounds of gunshots wasn't heard. Only then, Evan let go of me. He held an umbrella up, with a flash of scarlet in his eyes that he didn't manage to keep in time. 


Evan: Sorry, I'm late. Are you alright?


You: ... Why are you here?



Evan: I knew you are in danger, so I came.


You: How did you know?


He doesn't seem like he wanted to continue on this topic, putting on a look of resistance, but I don't know how I should understand this response.


You: No matter what it is, thank you.


Evan smiled, and his gaze fell onto the paper butterfly in my hand.


Evan: Is this yours?


You: No, it belongs to someone I know.


I carefully placed the paper butterfly into my pocket. Perhaps it's my instincts, perhaps it was just my wishful thinking, but I think that there will be a day I can meet Lin Yao again, and pass this to her.



Evan: That person seemed to really treasure this butterfly, the edges looked like it has been rubbed many times.


You: Yes, he treasures it very much. This butterfly... You can say that it gave him the strength to live on.


Evan have been quietly listening to me with a serious expression.


You: Do you not believe it?


He hesitated for a moment, and shook his head.



Evan: No, I believe it.


The rainwaters dripped onto the umbrella, and the sounds are gradually louder.


You: I kept feeling that there's another half of the sentence that you've left unsaid. 


Evan: The other half of the sentence may not be music to your ears.


You: It's alright, I'm just really curious.



Evan: I just think that the strength came more from imagination, rather than real feelings. Let's go, I'll send you home.





Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.