6☆ Date with Charlie - Born with Wings (生而有翼) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/03/2021 05:49:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Charlie Light and Night CG 6*






In the morning of a weekend, I was having breakfast in a café under my apartment. The soft sunlight shines on the open air seating area as I slowly enjoy the toast on my plate.


It should've been a leisure time, but a shade of regret veiled over it from the notification I received minutes ago.


You: "The gallery is closed due to an accident..." Sigh... I actually took out some time for this on purpose... So what should I do today?


I was swiping on my phone with full of boredom, and when I was not aware of my surroundings, suddenly heard some rustling discussion around me.


Diner 1: Look, it's a luxury car!


Diner 2: So trendy!


I curiously looked around, and indeed, there is a avant-garde styled sports car stopped right at entrance of the café. The exterior was too unique, that you can't wipe the image off your mind with merely a single glance.


You: This car... it can't be?!


The car door opened under the fixated views from passerby, an exquisitely-dressed man came down with a huge bouquet of flowers.


You: ... It's really Charlie!


As soon as the low door of the café is pushed open, his figure seem to exude its own highlight, that made the cafe's refreshing interior to look comparatively gloomier. His long legs stepped and walked up the steps, his leather shoes stomping on the wooden floor with a clanging sound. Striding to the center of the open air area, circled the area as if the king has graced himself, avoiding numerous curious gazes, and walked directly towards me.


You: ... Is it too late for me to run now?


Just as I stood up from my seat, he has already stopped right in front of me.



Amidst everyone's surprised gaze and sighs, he handed me that big bouquet of flowers in his arms.


Charlie: Hold this.


I looked at him with full of surprise, not knowing what to do all of a sudden.


Charlie: First time seeing me? Frozen like that because of my handsome looks?


You: ... What brings you here?


Charlie: To visit a lonely person. 


You: It's just because the art gallery I wanted to go temporary stopped exhibiting, that I have yet to decide where to go!


Charlie: Then let's go, date me.


You: What? Date? Have you not asked someone out before?


Charlie: Do I even need to ask someone out? It has always been the others' that approached me.


You: ... This mister right here, let me give you some input of common sense. The so-called 'date' means, you set a date and time with someone, then you meet that someone. You have yet to even set an appointment with me, why should I 'meet' you?


Charlie: Hmph, I knew you wouldn't be agreeing so quickly. That's why I've prepared this.


He took a step closer, and shoved the huge bouquet of bluish-purple flowers into my arms.


Charlie: Is this not enough to show my sincerity? 


I lowered my head to examine the bouquet of flowers, pure white anemone, paired with purple wisteria and pink spray rose, a faint scent lingers on the tip of my nose. Just looking at the bouquet makes one feel happy. But, if I received this bouquet, does that mean I have agreed to his request? Realizing this, I quickly retracted my hand.


You: Tell me first, why do you want to date me all of a sudden?


Charlie: Do I need a reason to date my fiancée?


You: Don't switch the topic! You sound more suspicious now.


Charlie (sigh): ... I'm not too busy recently, and from time to time I'd want to try your so-called mundane methods of getting along between men and women. I'm emphasizing this: you are the first woman that I invite for a date proactively, don't be too touched.


He lightly tilted his head away, although I couldn't see his expression, but from his rolling apple I could surprisingly feel that... he is... a little nervous.


Remembering the "dates" I had with Charlie, or the chance encounters, or the "carefully-planned" meetings, it really seems like it is the first time that he is asking me out for a date so officially like this. 


After thinking for a moment, since the weather is so good today, and adding onto the fact that I have yet to decide on what to do, how about going out with him?


You: Well it isn't that I couldn't promise on that, but I have a condition.


Charlie: Say it.


You: The location and contents of the date must be decided by me, how is that?


Charlie: What kind of condition is this? Of course I am alright with that. Any other concerns?


You: No more.


Charlie: Let's go.


He raised his arm and stuffed the bouquet into my arms. Under the gaze of the diners in the café, I followed behind him and boarded his convertible car.



He actually placed a sun umbrella and a SLR camera, looks like he was really confident that he could ask me out.


You: You're actually quite considerate about this huh.


Charlie: Don't forget that I am a doctor that saves lives.


He turned his head back and lifted my chin.


Charlie: So have you decided on where to go?


My eyes crossed with his light purple eyes, and started to be calculating. Since this is such a rare chance, I must bring him to somewhere that he is not familiar with, and make him see that this world is not a place that centers around him.


You: Zoo, theme park, cinemas, what do you think?


Charlie: What kind of mass entertainment is this? Forget it, cinemas are barely acceptable. As for theme parks... since you are the one in control, and if you really like it, it isn't that I can't accept that either.


You: Alright, then to the zoo it is!


Charlie: What did you say?


You: Guangqi City's Wildlife Zoo, I've sent the pin location to your phone, Driver Zha*, let's go! 


*T/N: You might find out that 查 is read as Chá, but as a surname it is read as Z. (He also pronounced it as Zha when he first introduced himself). 


Charlie: ... for your choice, you will pay for the price.


You (cheekily): Then can I ask for your help in payment?


Charlie: Hmph, dream on. Stubborn. Domineering.


You: Who were you talking about? Ah right, I suddenly remembered that I had some work today...


Charlie (helplessly): I'm talking about myself.


He sadly turned his body back, the looks of him submitting to humiliation was so funny, it took me some real effort to hold back from my laughter.


Charlie, oh Charlie, you really deserved this.


There aren't much vehicles on the morning roads, Charlie drives fast yet stable. I hugged the bouquet of flowers on the soft seat, raising my head a little to allow the refreshing morning breeze to gently blow on my cheeks, feeling the endless coziness.


About half an hour later, we stopped in front of the wildlife zoo in the suburbs. 



Charlie looked at the long queue in front of the ticketing counter, showing a disgusted expression.


Charlie: There is actually no VIP lane here?


You: Have you never queued in your life before? This is also a sense of ceremony. We feel the excitement of what happens in the zoo, and the time for queue is what cultivates the sense of excitement even more. I recommend you to give it a try!


Charlie: You'd better not lie to me.


Although he was fully suspicious of what I've said, Charlie still purchased the tickets responsibly. We entered the zoo together.


The architecture style here is very lively, everywhere are decorated with some cute animal motif, like a world of fairytale with no worries. We walked along the main road for a while, and there is a crossroad ahead of us, with a road sign on the side. We coincidentally stopped our footsteps in front of the sign.


What should we see first?


--- The zoo is too huge, which area should we start walking from? ---



-- Choice: Do nothing --


Not long after we walked around in the zoo, the weather turned hot. The fiery ways from the sun shun on the top of my head, that I am feeling dizzy, and I am feeling lightheaded. 


Charlie: There is an artificial river that passes through the entire zoo, if we are boarding the boat on the river, we can pass by almost all areas of the zoo. Do you want to go?


You: Sounds great, then let's board a boat!


The breeze from the river is so cooling, and the tranquility of the water's flowing sounds are relaxing, that I felt a whole lot better. We each held a cup of iced juice, drinking as we leisurely moved along the river.


On both sides of the river, you can see many strange animals. Birds, beasts, and even beautiful fishes swimming in the river waters. I took many photos with Charlie with our cameras.


After a round trip on the river, it is already afternoon. We returned to the shore and left the zoo.


-- Choice: Call: Deer Park --


As soon as my gaze fell on "deer park", many images of heartwarming scenes filled up my mind.


You: Let's start with the deer park!


Different from the rest of the areas, the deer park allows visitors to interact with the animals freely. You can feed them with some deer crackers.


Very quickly, I found a stall and purchased a stack of deer crackers, preparing to feed the deer. However, as soon as I received the crackers from the stall owner, I am already noticed by the group of deer! 


The deer here are definitely a lot more in numbers that I've imagined, that the fawns all closed up to me. I frantically teared the wrapping of the crackers, and tried to comfort the fawns with words.


You: Hahaha, don't be in such a hurry... I'll give you something to eat!


Before I could even end my sentence, one of the fawns suddenly poked its head over, and in a whoosh, my entire bag of crackers suddenly disappeared!


You: Aiya!!


But this isn't the worst - the worse thing is, even though the entire stack of my deer crackers have been snatched away, these fawns has no intention to let me go, and have surrounded me completely. Although they look tame and adorable, but their behavior is completely opposite. They kept arching and pushing me either with their horns or noses, as if they are planning for an attack on the very next second. 


In a panic, I braced myself to call out Charlie--


[Press the button to yell his name to ask for help]


Update on 6 Aug: I just realized that depending on how you call him, the responses will be different! 




[Say absolutely nothing/ unclear calling]

Not far away from where I am, Charlie is taking pictures seriously, that he did not notice me. The fawns started to get anxious and pushed me with their horns.


I yelled, and ran very far away.


After a while, Charlie caught up.


Charlie: Even a group of fawns could scare you to such an extent.


He mysteriously opened his windbreaker and pulled out a stack of deer crackers. 


Charlie: Don't run anymore, this time I'll feed them with you.


With Charlie's help, we could finally feed the fawns smoothly. Not that we weren't attacked, but I was also able to touch their furs. The journey to the deer park ended successfully.


[Calling him 'fiancé' or 'darling' in Mandarin]


In a panic, I forced myself to call out Charlie--


Charlie: Oh? So proactive?


You: Yeah! Since it's rare for me to be this proactive, don't your conscience feel bad if you don't come over to help me out?




Charlie: Sure. I'll come over right now, darling.


Chin high, he stride past the group of fawns, with a demeanor as if a king has just descended. He walked towards me, but he was not in a hurry to chase the fawns away but to glance around the surroundings.


Charlie: How is it? Doesn't it feel very safe to be under the tall figure of your fiancé? 


You: ... It's alright.


Charlie: Relax, for these annoying pursuers, even if you don't say anything, I'll chase them off one by one. The only one that can stand by your side is me.


You: ...


Charlie: Are you so touched that you can't say a thing anymore? Not a bad reaction.


It must be the way I addressed him that made him feeling so triumphant! I got so angry that I was about to hit him, but just then, one of the fawns elongated its neck, and headbutted Charlie's buttocks!


Charlie quickly turned his body to dodge it.


Charlie (gasped): Ah--


You: What's wrong?


Charlie: ... It's nothing.


You: What's there to be so embarrassed about? It bit your butt, am I right?


Charlie (grunts): ......


Flushes of red and white appeared over his face. I've never seen such an amusing response, and I can't help myself but to laugh out loud as I hold onto my stomach.


You: That means, your tail has curled so high up that even the fawns can't stand it anymore. Oh little fawn, is his butt cheek chewy?


Charlie: You can try that yourself.


You: No thanks!


We dissed each other so fiercely, and all of a sudden, the impatient fawns have already left.



--- Choice: Intimacy: Butterfly House ---


You: I heard that there's a rare Golden Kaiserihind here! Shall we have a look?


Charlie: Let's go.


The butterfly house is a newly opened attraction that has its own ticketing system. Probably because they wanted to gain customers, they are holding a lottery event.


Staff: The first person that could find the one and only Golden Kaiserihind, takes a photo and upload could win a limited butterfly bag! Additionally, every visitor that entered the house can participate in a lottery.


Upon finishing the activity explanations, the staff distributed butterfly-shaped stickers to us.


Staff: In order to facilitate the lottery process, we request everyone to stick the stickers on your bodies, there is a corresponding number on the sticker. If you win, you can redeem the prize with the sticker~


I received my sticker and stick it on my chest. Raising my head, I noticed Charlie handing his sticker to me.


Charlie: I'll give you a chance to perform.


I helplessly stared at him, does he want me to stick it for him?


You: This is what you said!


I took the sticker and tear off the back sticker. After measuring him up from top to bottom, I've decided to stick it at...


[Tap the sticker near his hair/ arms/ legs/ abdomen multiple times!]


 



I used my fastest speed to slap the sticker on his body, then I laughed loudly. Charlie stunned, and saw the weird part where I stick the sticker, his anger changed his voice.


Charlie: I didn't expect you to be this interested in my body. If you're interested you could've just told me, I do not mind to let my fiancée to get used to my body in advance.


Charlie wanted to tear the sticker off, but noticed that the sticker was so tightly stuck that it didn't budge. After a few tugs, he pulled me to his body.


Charlie: The troublemaker should end the trouble, now you've got to help me out.


Feeling awkward, I could only get close to his body, and slowly scratch and pull the sticker off. The entrance of the butterfly house is so crowded, and people are staring at us weirdly from time to time. Filled with regret, I wondered why I wanted to stick this on such a weird place?


After tearing the sticker off, I've been sweating a lot. After daunting for so long, the competition has long begun when we stepped into the house. Although we've tried very hard to look for the butterfly, but someone else has found it first. But at the last stage of the lottery, Charlie's number was drawn...


Not long after, Charlie returned with a colorful butterfly ornament.


You: A rare occurrence in a hundred years, you actually won! Congratulations on your turn of luck! The ornament actually looks good!


Charlie: Is that so? Then I'll gift this to you.


He pulled my backpack, and hung the ornament on it


You: Ah? But this is something to commemorate your first change of luck, is it really alright?


Charlie: What kind of commemoration that is? You're the one (that I should be commemorating for).


You: What kind of argument are you making? ... Alright then, thank you.


The bottom of the bell rings out a pleasant chime. Accompanying with the light rings, we left the butterfly house happily.



[Let's stick the sticker near his chest!]


Well, in such a crowd, maybe it's better not to trouble Charlie.


I stuck the sticker on his chest, and in order to keep the sticker firm, I slapped on it twice -- his chest muscles are pretty firm.


After sticking the sticker, we walked into the butterfly house together.


The house is like a mini botanical garden filled with various floras, the warm and moist air is filled with various scents of flowers. Upon examining carefully, many colorful butterflies are fluttering around.


You: Every butterfly here are so beautiful!


The variety of butterflies here kept my eyes busy, I took Charlie's camera and snapped pictures non-stop.


Charlie: In this case, then we'll not be looking for the so-called Golden Kaiserihind. Since this is a rare chance to come here, of course we should be having fun.


You: You're right!


Charlie: Especially if it's with me, wouldn't such experience have more worth than a bag?


You: ...


Charlie: What are you unhappy of? It's just a bag, if you want it, I can buy it for you.


You: Thanks, but no thanks!


I walked a few steps forward, continuing to enjoy the beauty of the butterflies. while I was fully focused, Charlie picked up a flower somewhere and placed it in my hair near my temples. I was seriously taking pictures, passing through the flora, and had no time to bother about him.


Unsure of how long it took, Charlie suddenly turned over to look at me.


Charlie: The Golden Kaiserihind is now on your hair.


You: What?


Could it be the Golden Kaiserihind has stayed on the flower in my hair? I didn't dare to move, and carefully handed the camera in my hands over.


You: Charlie! I shall pass this glorious mission to you!


Facing me, Charlie pressed the shutter on the camera, recording this precious moment. But on the next second, he waved his hand and chased the butterfly away.


You: What are you doing? I wanted to look at it with a mirror!


Charlie: Nothing, just suddenly finding it unpleasant to my eyes.


You: Are you sick in the mind?


Unwilling to bother about him, I took the camera and wanted to look at the Golden Kaiserihind. But when I swiped across the screen, there was not a single photo that was focusing on the butterfly, but on my face...


You: Charlie, what kind of photos are you taking...? I can't even see the patterns of the butterfly. Your photography skills are so amateur.


Charlie popped his head over to look at the screen, an embarrassed expression flashed past his face.


Charlie: Of course I'm taking a photo of you. My camera only focuses on the most beautiful thing.


Unexpecting the praise, I didn't know what to say, despite knowing he was only making lame excuses, I forgot to refute him.


After a moment, I lowered my head to look at the photo again. With a blurred figure of the butterfly on my hair, yet the excitement on my face, the joy, and a light, unnoticeable blush, is looking extra vivid and adorable. They say that the lenses will reflect the world in the photographer's eyes, so... do I look that way in Charlie's eyes? Thinking of this, a strange throb came from the depths of my chest, my gaze subconsciously moved elsewhere.


You: ... Only knowing clever wordings.


Oh well, I'll take these as photos of me, that isn't too bad either.


--- Choice: Heartthrob: Bird Park ---


You: The bird park seems to be the closest from here, let's start from there?


Charlie: Sure.



Just as soon as we are closing to the bird park, the birdsongs of various tones sings endlessly.


Charlie: Do you know? I have a born talent, that I could command the birds to fly to me. It's also what you people call 'homage to a phoenix'*.


You: Huh?


Charlie: 'Bird's Homage to a Phoenix' is a rare sight in a thousand years, common people do not even have the rights to witness such a sight. But the timing today is great, I shall not be selfish and show it to you.

    

*T/N: The term used was "百鸟朝凤", literally means "a hundred birds paying homage to a phoenix", and the phoenix is a legendary bird commonly appearing in various Chinese lore. 


You: Uh... then... the floor is yours?


Charlie seems to be rather satisfied with my response, smirking, and made a loud whistle. He raised both of his arms in intoxication, closed his eyes, as if all species of birds will be gracing upon him and worship him. However, I patiently waited for a minute, and only a sparrow landed on the top of Charlie's hair, pecked randomly and flew off.


Charlie: Tsk. 


You: Hahahahaha! That was too entertaining!


He glanced at me, and shook his head seriously without actually hearing my sarcasm.


Charlie: Inexperienced indeed. The birds today are too lazy.


As we walked, we've arrived the most crowded area of the bird park - the peacock garden A green peacock is flaunting his tail, the beautiful tail has attracted my footsteps.


You: Whoa, so beautiful! "Southeast Fly of the Peacocks"* write about green peacocks, green peacocks have lived for many years on this land. 


*T/N: "Southeast Fly of the Peacocks" is originally an old poetry, with rich historical contexts, also the earliest long narrative story in Chinese literature. 


You: However, due to the destruction of their habitat, also the cross breeding between green peacocks and blue peacocks... the pure-blooded green peacocks are now extremely rare. It's great to see it here!


Charlie: You are pretty compassionate. However, I am more rare than that. One and only in the world.


I suppressed the twitching of the corners of my mouth, pretending not to understand his hints. The surrounding visitors have lifted up their cameras towards the green peacock, but the green peacock refused to show his beautiful tail towards the crowd. It stubbornly followed a female green peacock, tirelessly adjusting its direction to show its tail towards her. Charlie smiled meaningfully.


Charlie: Oh... looks like it's springtime.


The green peacock stood in front of the female peacock, tilting his giant tail forward, jittering and flaunting continuously. However, the female peacock has been lowering her head to the grass on the grounds to look for food, not even sparing him a single look.


With perseverance, the peacock kept flaunting his tail to the female, and even crossing his claws interchangeably to dance... The more I look at it, the looks of showing off from this peacock is... rather familiar...? It's just like... Just like Charlie!!


Charlie: Hmph, I am placing my bet that the female peacock was only testing his patience. The green peacock is the prettiest and the healthiest among all here, how could she not like him?


There it comes! The narcissist speech from Charlie!


You: If she doesn't like it then she wouldn't like it, not everyone has the free time to test others' patience.


Charlie thoughtfully stared at me, slowly raising his brows.


Charlie: Oh? How about we make a bet? Bet on whether this female peacock would accept Mr Green's pursue.


You: Then, the bet is?


Charlie: The bet will be..,


He measured me from the top to bottom, very carefully.


Charlie: The loser shall do a peacock dance to the winner.


You: Peacock dance...?


I weighed the pros and cons of this bet. At least I'm a girl, so even if I don't have talent in dancing, at least it shouldn't look weird on me. But if it's on Charlie, it'd be rather hard to say!


Hmm, no matter how I look at it, he'll be at disadvantage! Where did he get his confidence anyway?


You: Sure, then it's set! Cross you heart, hope to die. Stick a needle in your eye. Jam a dagger in your thigh. Eat a horse manure pie!* 


Worrying that he'd take his words back, I quickly raised my arm. Charlie reached his pinky over, and tightly hooked onto mine.


Charlie: Sure, cross you heart, hope to die*.


*T/N: They made a pinky promise.


After the promise, our focus returned to the tiny warzone.


You: Female peacock, stay proud until the end! Don't surrender to the narcissist!


Charlie: Look at how anxious you are. I am not even worried at all, because Mr Green's capabilities is there for all to see.


As soon as his triumphant speech lands, the warzone suddenly had a major plot twist! The female peacock seemed to be really annoyed, suddenly straightening her neck, chased Mr Green around to violently peck on his head! Mr Green escapes in embarrassment with his messy 'hairstyle', with a couple of feathers falling onto the ground.


You: Hahaha! Great job!


Charlie unhappily glared at me.


Charlie: The female peacock has such a bad temper, reminds me of someone...


He provocatively grinned towards me, and I instantly understood -- this guy must be talking about me. But the next second, I feel a sense of awkwardness. I was thinking that the male peacock was him, and he thinks that the female peacock resembles me...? Then our relationship would be...


I shook this scary thought right on time, but my cheeks uncontrollably started to blush.


You: Really? I don't think she resembles anyone!


I turned my gaze back to the female peacock in embarrassment, only seeing her fiercely flaunting her feathers, and found a place to lie down for a short rest.


You: Haha, Charlie, I can't wait to see your peacock dance now!


While I was being proud, I didn't notice that there's a blue peacock appearing behind Mr Green. He carefully strides closer to the green peacock, suddenly spreading its wings, and pecked violently towards Mr Green!


You: Eh?? Eh??!


Mr Green didn't want to lose either, he fluttered his wings and pulled off some distance. After a short observation, both male peacocks are now spreading their wings, dragging their long tail, jumping up and down as they fight... For one moment they circled around while facing each other, then for another second they leaped towards each other to scratch each other, it's hard to judge who's winning.


The visitors started to record in excitement, but I am unable to shift my focus, completely immersed in this battle.


You: Can't believe that this blue peacock is putting on an ambush! No sportsmanship at all! Right, our Mr Green is still very strong! The attack earlier didn't affect him much at all!


You: Whoa, Mr Green flew s high! Great job! Go Mr Green Go! You look better than Mr Blue, don't lose!


Charlie: Oh? Are you sure? They are fighting over the mating rights with the female peacock. If Mr Green loses, I will lose the bet too. Isn't that something you wished to see?


My thoughts got pulled back right away. Why was I cheering for Mr Green?


You: I--


Charlie closed up towards me teasingly, I glared him with full of frustration.


You: That's because the female peacock is also a green peacock!


Charlie: That's rather considerate of you.


While we were conversing, the blue peacock's strength has been gradually weakened, and couldn't fly as high as the green peacock anymore. Finally, the blue peacock drooped his head and escaped far away, and I was relieved.


Mr Green now walks towards the female peacock again, flaunting his tail feathers. This round, the female peacock didn't walk off...


They chased each other playfully for a couple rounds, suddenly Mr Green flew up, and accurately landed on the female peacock's back...


I curiously stretched my neck, yet suddenly my vision turned black, it's Charlie blocking my eyes.


You: Hey! what are you doing!



Charlie: Not suitable for children.


You (pouting): But I am an adult!


Charlie (teasingly): I didn't expect your hobby to be this special.


In the darkness, his voice suddenly appeared from an extremely close place, passing by my ears persistently.


Charlie: Oh well, if you wanted to see then have a look, but if you wanted to look, then look seriously. After you're done looking, I wanted to listen to your afterthoughts.


He retracted his hand as he spoke.


I could only see a couple glances, then turned my head aside. It was an embarrassing scene after all, not to mention that I'm now watching this with Charlie... Yet he doesn't seem to be bothered with what's happening, and excitedly observing each and every micro expression that I've made. I am suspecting that my cheeks are so hot right now, that they could probably fry an egg.


Charlie: Dear student, your afterthoughts?


You: ... Ah! The wonders of the nature!


Charlie: No more?


You (pouting): Even if there is, I'm not telling you! Go away! Don't you stare at me!


As I finished my sentence, the female peacock seemed to have some tacit understanding. She turned her head around to peck the male peacock, then the two birds finally separated.


Charlie: Haha, you really do have the same temper as the female peacock.


In this embarrassing atmosphere with the way he compared me earlier, I almost jumped in anger.


You: Shut up!


Charlie: I know what you're embarrassed about. You're thinking that the green peacock resembles me, right? But you need to make it clear, I am not that green peacock. Some green peacocks have multiple wives, but I, Charlie will never be that classless.


He suddenly placed an arm on my back, gently pulling me over.


Charlie: I only play around in this world in certain aspects. When I truly met that one person, I will guard her with my whole life.


The sudden solemn tone closed up to my ear, his deep voice slyly entered my heart. I hurriedly looked away, hiding the blush on my face.


You (in irony): ... then you're very good! 


Charlie: If you know I'm good, then shouldn't you be taking action?


You: Go away!


Charlie: I insist not. Do you need me to remind you? You've lost the bet. Peacock dance, will be performed by you to me.


I stoned right on the spot, unable to refute at all. I regret this. I completely regret this. What was I thinking, that I would be 'cockfighting' with Charlie in a zoo?


You: I know, it must be the contagious childishness! Otherwise why would I always be so childish whenever I'm with you?


Charlie: Then that's more of the reason for you use your mature dance to refresh your image. But...


His hand glides along my neck, and pinching very lightly.


Charlie: For such beautiful thing to do a peacock dance, it's too casual in this place. The graceful dance of my fiancée, I would never want anyone else to have even a peek on it. So, next time... Pick a timing where there's more sense of ceremony. Only you and me.


He again raised the determined smile, as if he has already prepared a net to capture me, yet at this point I no longer have the will to escape, only wanting this smile in front of me to last even longer.


--- Choice: Heartthrob: Watch an Animal Show ---


A staff from the zoo walked towards us with flyers.


Staff: Our zoo has arranged a new animal show, it's very popular and will be starting in 10 minutes!


You: Is the venue far from here?


Staff: No, not far at all! Just go straight and turn left!


You: Alright, Charlie, let's have a look?


Charlie: Sure.


However, it seemed like the staff has overestimated our walking speed. By the time we arrived the venue, they already stopped people from entering.


You: The next performance is an hour later... How about we walk around the parks around here and come back again?


Charlie: Everything's up to you.


I expanded the map and begin studying it.


You: Wow! The tiger's park is so close from here! I wanted to see big kitties! Recently I really liked to watch videos of these big kitties, they are extremely cute!


Charlie: You call those "big kitty"? What exactly about these big-mouthed beasts that you find cute? Also, they are probably napping around this time.


You: It's you that have no understanding on their cuteness! Come, follow me to have a look so you'll know! The soft paws! The tiny, round ears! The sharp eyes! Are you really not moved by them?


Charlie: Not just that my heart wouldn't feel moved, but fall into a myocardial infarction.


You: Then you can sit here, I'll go alone.


Charlie: Wait a bit. I'll go along to see what's so great about these "big kitties", that they could seduce my fiancée. 


Charlie looked unconvinced, and followed me to the tiger park. After walking for a while, though we have yet to see the tigers' figures, a heroic roar echoed here!


Tiger: Roar!!


You: Wow, so majestic! Could it be that our luck is too great, that we made it to a live fighting scene between the big kitties? Charlie, let's go-


I wanted to turned over and hold his arm, but I caught nothing.


You (tilting head): Charlie?


I turned my head backwards, only to find Charlie standing as straight as a pencil, looking serious, but his legs stopped moving. I tried to tug his sleeves again, and only then he returned to his senses.


Charlie: ... Hmm? What's wrong? Oh, let's go.


As we approach, the sight of two majestic tigers in the cage appeared before our eyes. Standing with their lower limbs, only supporting themselves with their smooth yet firm muscles, waving their fat claws while pouncing and biting each other. After a short fight, they landed on their four limbs, making overwhelming roars to scare each other off.


Tiger: ROAR!!


Charlie (surprised gasp): !!!!


At the same time when the tigers roared, I could clearly see Charlie figure trembled a little!


You: ???


You: Haha I know now, you are actually afraid!


Charlie: I do not understand what you are talking about. Hmph, this are the big kitties that you've been thinking about day and night? Are they cool? Tiny eyes, bulky build, with appearance that doesn't have a single bit of beauty. Which part of them could be compared to me?


You: Just the point that they don't sprout nonsense out of nowhere is a whole lot better than you.


There are also many adorable tiger cubs, with their soft, clumsy yet adorable appearance that melts your heart right away, making you to feel like you're going back in time.


At last, we went back to the animals performance venue on time.


At the entrance, the staff distributed some cute cheering hairbands.


You: Charlie, why aren't you wearing them?


Charlie: Not only it destroys my hair style, and it also looks really stupid. What's this, a toad? I'll not wear it.


You (pouting): It's obviously a cute frog alright!


Charlie: Even if it's a cute frog, it doesn't match me.


You: But I'm wearing them now too! Does it not match me? Am I not cute?


Charlie: ... barely.


You: Then that's right! Lower your head, let me wear it for you--


Just when I wanted to drag him, he suddenly bent down and got really close to me, that the tip of our noses almost touched.


His pure violet eyes reflected me clearly, and suddenly my cheeks felt a little hot, and I quickly looked down.


Charlie: Do yo know, that only you would dare to do this to me.


You: Then how about accepting my coronation honestly, frog prince?


The edge of his lips slowly curved up, holding my hand, and allowed me to put the frog hairband on his head.


Charlie: Are you satisfied?


You: It's okay...


He chuckled, held my hand to enter the dim performance hall. He leg me all the way to the front seats, and picked a center space to for us to sit down.


The lights dimmed slowly, and the animal performance begun. Joyful music plays in the hall, with the host's energetic performance, there are four beautiful and smart dolphins that leaped from the water surface. But it's also because I could see it so clearly, as the performance goes on, I slowly noticed some details that are not noticed easily.


One of the dolphins seemed to have a bad eyesight, and there's another dolphin that lost almost all of its teeth. I uncontrollably poked Charlie by my side.


You: Charlie, don't you think the dolphins are looking a bit unenergetic?


Charlie: Yeah.


Suddenly, I remembered an article that I've read somewhere online. Dolphins are mammals that have high IQ, and they are also very social. The dolphins that are now reared in captive, not only will have their hearing impaired due to the noise pollution from the mankind, but also receive emotional torture, that numerous of them fall into depression and committed suicide.


It is only until this very moment, that I noticed these articles I've read are no exaggeration at all. A clear voice sounded, I heard the voice of a child talking to their mother.


Child: Mama! Look at how happily the dolphins are smiling!


Mother: Yeah, dolphins love playing with us.


I uncontrollably sighed, and wanted to tell them that the dolphins weren't smiling, but I couldn't bear to do so. At this moment, I felt my hand was being touched lightly, that I returned to my senses.


Charlie turned over and looked at me quietly, in the darkness, his eyes reflected the light of reassurance and comfort.


Charlie: Don't want to watch anymore? Let's have a walk outside?


You: Okay.


Returning to the outside of the venue, I walked slowly, feeling depressed. I don't know how I could explain these to Charlie, because, it was originally my decision to watch the performances.


Charlie: Are you feeling sad for the dolphins?


You: Yeah... It was only the mankind's wishful thinking to live peacefully with the animals and play with them. If we really love them, we should respect their ways of life. As a consumer, what we could do is to stop watching performances like these. But I didn't do it.


Charlie stopped before me, and gently pat the top of my head.


Charlie (calm, comforting tone): You're right, but, what happened today is not your fault, there's no need for you to be overly pessimistic. I believe the viewers of the performance has no ill intentions, just less aware as you are right now. There will definitely be more people that will be like you, to refuse watching whale and dolphin shows. Things will get better.


You: Get better...


I am surprised that he would say things like this. Like a mighty wind, the dark clouds in my heart is now chased away. I slowly contemplated his words, raised my head and smiled to him.


You: Thank you, Charlie. Charlie, I'm thinking, is it because you were never serious in normal settings, that whenever you are saying something seriously they sound more convincing?


Charlie: Are you really expressing your gratitude right now?


He squinted dangerously, and suddenly reached both arms to me. I thought he's going to hit me, so I subconsciously shut my eyes. But all I felt was something has loosen from my head. When I opened my eyes, I saw another extra frog headband on Charlie's hand.


Charlie: How long more do you plan to wear this stupid thing? I didn't want to remind you and make you to wear this all the way home, but I can't bear to look at this anymore.


You: There's nothing wrong to wear this all the way back, you're with me anyway.


After that, Charlie and I walked around a few parks and left the zoo. Because there are many people around this area, it is quite a distance until we could exit from the main entrance. There are still many stalls here.


Most of the stalls are selling toys to attract children, but there are also some exceptions. As we walked, I was surprised to see one of the stall owners having an eagle standing on his arm. The eagle, although looking strong, but it was drooping its head down with its bleak eyes.


Stall owner: Take a photo with an eagle, only 10 yuan each time!


I can't help myself to close up to the stall, and saw a metal chain chained onto the eagle's claw. Charlie turned over and interrupted me from spacing out, then hanged his camera to my neck.


Charlie: Let's go, take a picture for me.


I followed him, and waited for the stall owner to place the eagle onto his arm, then picked up the camera to take a photo. When my eyes met the viewfinder, the me that was concerned about the eagle, now has all of my focus taken away by the image I saw.


The wind blew Charlie's clothes' corners and hair, as if it has given some strength to the eagle again. Under the blue skies, Charlie and the eagle on his arm are exuding the beauty of wildness. Their figures are proud and straight, like a born hunter. The glow from their sharp-looking eyes, are as if they are telling the world they will not back down no matter what difficulty they face.


Suddenly, Charlie looked at me via the lenses, and smirked to me, and unsure of when, his hand is placed on the chains of the eagle. I realized what he wanted to do, so I widen my eyes.


Right then, he made a special whistle, and the eagle spread its huge wings as if it has understood something! Everything happened so quickly, Charlie shook his arms, and the eagle borrowed the force, spread its wings and started flying, towards the blue skies it has been dreaming of.


Charlie Light and Night CG 6*


The sight of the eagle striking into the skies is so magnificent, that my heart is now touched and overwhelmed with shock. I can't help but to raise my camera and kept shooting, until it disappears over the edge of the skies. 


Charlie too, watched the eagle to fly away, his clear eyes looming behind the sunglasses, but he couldn't hide the smile under it. In a trance, I feel that his figure shines brighter than the sun.


The stall owner too, was stunned, then angrily pounced towards Charlie.


Stall owner: My eagle! How dare you! You released my eagle! That's my property! I'm reporting to the police! You must compensate me!


Charlie: Alright.


Charlie suddenly waved his hand, a bunch of cash started to fall upon the stall owner. The surrounding crowd exclaimed. The stall owner couldn't care about anything anymore as he started to pick up the cash frantically. Charlie looked at him in disdain.


Charlie (scoffs): Huh, "your eagle"? Wake up, it never belonged to you.


After saying so, he pulled my hand, and stride away from that place. We passed through a small park in the middle of the street's center, then sat down on a long bench after making sure that there were no troublesome people tailing us.


The excitement still lingers in my heart, that I can't help but to look into the skies. The rustling sounds of the leaves are like cozy babblings, and the fine sunlight fall onto our shoulders that are now side by side.


You: The eagle that you've released has probably left the city, and is now flying towards its favorite mountain forests.


Charlie: Yeah, it will.


I looked at his eyelashes that are reflecting the rays of the sun, a thought came into my mind.


You: Charlie, I noticed, if you threw your cynicism away, you are actually a pretty kind person. Not only you treat diseases and save lives, you are even willing to give animals a hand. But the part that you didn't do well enough still exist - the way you threw money was to exaggerating! You need to take note of your ways and methods!


Charlie: If we're using your way, we're probably in the police station right now. Relax, do you think I am this free all the time? I just wanted to give my fiancée a perfect date. Right, if you're willing, I can also consider to realize things like shutting down the entire Guangqi City Wildlife Zoo too.


You (surprised): What are you saying? That will induce chaos!


Pretending to be angry, I slapped on his back, but I can't stop the sweetness to quietly spread in my heart.



---


Charlie and I have arrived to a café outside the zoo with plans to rest here. After taking our seats, I turned on the SLR camera, reminiscing the rewarding day. The fighting lion cubs, the amphibians sunbathing on the tree, a waterfowl plunging into the river... the camera is full of various animals.


You: So cute, look at how carefree they are, I feel healed too.


Charlie held his chin with an arm, quietly looking at me from the other end of the table.


You: Sometimes, when I look at them sleeping after a meal, then waking to eat again, I would feel jealous of their leisure ways of life. But I don't know what they really think, do they want to avoid their preys and live comfortably, or do they wish to risk their lives and gallop freely in their own world?


Charlie: Oh? I remembered that when I first met someone, she was debating the meaning of freedom. Who would've thought that she too, would have a time where she is shaken.


I stunned, and glared at him.


You: I was only casually lamenting, either way I will not surrender to you.


Charlie: That means, your answer is still the same as before?


You: I think so, I will choose freedom. How about you, Charlie? If you were an animal, what would you think?


Charlie: The same as yours.


You: Really?


Charlie: Of course. Who on earth would wish to live in a golden cage? Even though we will experience danger or disappointment, but the meaning of life lies in the continuous experience and discovery. At the start when I heard that you wanted to visit here, I almost worried that I made the wrong decision. Since if it weren't because of you, I wouldn't choose a place that is tiring and vulgar like this as a dating spot.


You: Tiring and vulgar...


Charlie: What I didn't expect is that, although the modes of activities are very popularized with many unexpected occurrences, but surprisingly... I actually find this rather interesting. It is as memorable as the mud baths in Vietnam. I have to admit, you really DO bring me experiences that I have never had before. If it's with you, I wouldn't mind to visit more ordinary places like this. Who would've known that the process of wandering around, is where the freedom you mentioned lies.


I originally worried that Charlie wouldn't like today's activities, but when I heard what he said, I secretly felt relieved.


You: Charlie, so you are not so incapable of listening to others after all, huh?


Charlie: It can be seen that you are holding a very deep prejudice against me. So I wanted to tell you that, I've given it a good thought - from now on you wouldn't need to worry that you'll need to give up some fun in life because you've become mine, I will not let that happen. Not just that, I am looking forward for you to let me experience this "freedom". Now, would you reconsider our engagement, my fiancée?


Charlie's burning eyes made me feel like I couldn't escape, I unnaturally raised my arm to put my hair behind my ear.


You: That means, you'll also consider to eat BBQ on the roadside, slurping snail noodles, or drinking bubble tea?


Charlie: Do you mean you wanted to listen to me talking about the cases of gastroenteritis encountered by my colleague?


You: Don't ruin the vibes of this good atmosphere!


His eyes curved, gaze focused on the camera in my hands.


Charlie: Then in such good atmosphere, why don't we take a picture together?


You: Right! We took so many photos today, but we have not taken a picture together.


He moved to my side, set the camera to auto mode and placed it on the table. Until the shutter almost clicks, he suddenly placed his arm across my shoulder, tilted his head to the side of my ear, and softly asked.


Charlie: So, is today a perfect date to you, my fiancée? 


His unique scent quickly lingered here, with an oblique glance at him, yet I don't know why I didn't move away from him. His smile is just full of his usual narcissism, but I could feel that the real him is closing up more and more, almost reachable.


You: 99 points! Deducting a point from your proudness.


At this point, the shutter clicked. The very moment of us smiling knowingly at each other is now captured down.

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.