6☆ Date with Charlie - Lingering Game (缠绵游戏) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/04/2021 03:03:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-





In this night during early autumn, the hearty breeze blows across the city lights. At the port in the suburbs stops a cruise ship that is about to depart, and the staff members are making their final admission checks for its attendees.


You: Very soon I could participate in the auction...


I have been anticipating for this charity auction on this cruise for a long time. Reason is, that there will be a haute couture that came from the previous century to be auctioned tonight -- a pair of white cicada gloves.


Recently I've been conceiving a new glove design, so I was searching for a lot of information. And this pair of white cicada gloves has immediately attracted all of my attention. If there is a chance for me to see them with my own eyes, or even touching this pair of gloves, there will definitely be a lot of new inspiration that could be brought into my works!


In order to obtain the entrance ticket to the auction, I requested help from many people. Thankfully, my efforts paid off, and I could finally receive a ticket from Mao Ge's friend.


Just when I was prepared to enter the venue with full of anticipation, the staff blocked my path.


Staff: Lady, your ticket is a media ticket.


You: Eh? What's wrong with a media ticket?


Staff: The activity area for media ticket holders are only limited to the outdoor shooting area, you are not authorized to enter the venue.


Only outdoors? Don't talk about the auction, doesn't that mean I can't even have a look of the pair of gloves?! I was thinking about how reliable Mao Ge was on my way here, who would've thought that it'd turn out like this.


I stood at the media shooting area, looking into the venue from afar, my heart sunk into emptiness.


You: ... could my efforts to visit here really be in vain?


??: How could it be in vain?


A familiar voice rang by my ear, I turned around to glance over weirdly... It's actually Charlie?!



Unsure when he stood beside me, a red suit exudes a high-profile aura from head to toe, attracting the attention from the people around him.


Charlie: You didn't came here in vain, you've managed to meet me now isn't it?


You: ... why are you here?


Unsure if he was doing that to mock me, Charlie lightly waved his black gold entrance ticket.


Charlie: Of course I'm here as a VIP, that I am specially invited to participate in this auction.


As he spoke, he glance fell on the media ticket in my hand.


Charlie: You're actually not minding to stand in the breeze just to watch me from afar?


You: How could it be--


Charlie: Not bad, I'm touched.


Charlie acted as if he didn't hear me at all, and let out a satisfied nod, then walked towards the VIP lane at the side. He gave the ticket to the staff, lazily opened his mouth--


Charlie: My companion is behind there.


Charlie raised his arm and pointed accurately towards my direction.


You: ???


Charlie: What's wrong, not coming in?


You: ... I'll go!


Although I didn't want to owe him a favor, but my desires to see the white cicada gloves have pushed me to follow behind him.


The night falls as the cruise ship sails away from the city port. Slowly moving on the peaceful surface of the seas, the neon lights of the city has slowly blurred from my sight.



In the first floor, I found a seat far from the crowd in a restaurant, pulling my dress together and sat down. Charlie stood by my side, stunned in front of the slightly narrow dining table, then slowly pulls the back of the chair and took a seat.


Charlie: You are such a strange woman. Rather than going to my designated rest area, you had to come all the way to such remote corner.


You: But I didn't recall asking you to come to the restaurant together with me.


Charlie: You're my companion, of course we're moving together.


I wanted to refute, but remembering that I could only enter this place thanks to Charlie, I could only pout sullenly. Now, he is full of smug again.


Charlie: There are much more places that are more comfortable, suitable for both of us to spend time. You can consider where we could spend our time later on.


You: Who on earth wanted to spend time with...


Charlie: Who else other than you would?


You: I am here with an aim, I'm not blindly loitering around with you.


Charlie: Oh? What aim? Tell me, I'll listen. My mood is pretty good right now, I might consider to realize it for you.


I was about to ask Charlie for information of the auction venue, but looking at the stinky face's smug expression, I chose to give up.


You: Thank you, but NO! THANKS!


Charlie: If you aren't telling, I'll make a guess.


He tilted his body slightly, and crossed his legs in this narrow space between the chairs.


Charlie: In this auction, there's something that you wanted to buy? Art piece? Antiques? Or is it jewelry or haute couture? 


I didn't look at him, and instead, I looked sideways pretending I didn't hear him at all. Charlie paused a couple of times, and suddenly raised his hand to support his chin. His gaze turned serious, and looked around me.


You: What now? 


Charlie: Your outfit today isn't bad.


To fulfil the theme of retro of this auction, I purposely purchased a long black evening dress from an antiques shop. But why is Charlie suddenly mentioning this?


Just when I was in confusion, he started speaking.


Charlie: But it looks like it lacked decoration... How about the ruby necklace in auction item number three? I can buy that for you.


You: No need! How many times do I need to tell you...


Charlie: Alright, alright. But then again, you already have red accessories, so you wouldn't be needing those anyway.


I stunned, then looked on my ring, that bit of red on the ring is what I have purposely picked for today.


You: Who would've thought that you have a good sense of fashion coordination.


I uncontrollably let out a silent sigh, but Charlie raised his hand and pointed his red suit that is attracting various kinds of attention.


Charlie: Your red accessory is right here.


You: ... You're such a boring person!


Although I didn't want to admit, but the outfit between the two of us do match pretty well...


Charlie: Then I shall gift you something else. How about auction item number 5, the white cicada gloves?


You: !


I didn't think he would suddenly mention this name, so I was stunned.


Charlie: So your aim today is that pair of gloves.


Oh shoot, I was too surprised that I forgot to control my expressions!


You: No, I wasn't thinking about joining the auction...


Charlie waved his hand with a clear look, and pulled out his phone.


Charlie: Let me see how much these gloves worth.


I immediately leaned forward to stop him, but Charlie easily avoided my 'ambush' just by lifting his arm. Just then, the phone raised so highly in his arm vibrated a couple of times. He scrolled on the screen, lightly glanced on it. 


Charlie (mumbles softly): So annoying.


Charlie slowly stood up from his seat, not forgetting to pat off the dust invisible to the naked eye off his shirt.


Charlie: I'll be meeting an acquaintance to get something settled, will you be walking around here, or wait for me here? 


Charlie: Or how about you could also go with me too? Since it's my acquaintance, soon enough you'd also need to meet them anyways.


You: I'll just walk around on my own!


Surprisingly he wasn't demanding on this, and was only lifting an eyebrow and smirked.


Charlie: After you've finished exploring around, you can go to the top floor to rest. If you can't find your way to the top floor, you can also return to the first floor, to the broadcasting room.


You: Broadcasting room?


Charlie smiled even more, and walked a step closer, pulling our distance closer.


Charlie: You can go to the broadcasting room, and find your husband via broadcast.


My ears heated up so much, that I immediately raised my arms to push him away.


You: It's impossible to look for husband, perhaps possible if it's a broadcast looking for a child!


I immediately ran out of the restaurant with a couple of frantic steps as I heard Charlie's chuckles behind me. As if they brought some warmth, that my cheeks are now burning.


I walked towards the deck, allowing the sea breeze to blow on me for quite a while until the warmth on my cheeks finally disappeared.



You: It's all his fault!


I angrily turned over to glance at the restaurant, Charlie has left the place. But as long as I don't see him I wouldn't get annoyed, so I held onto the thought and hurried elsewhere to look around.


You: Where should I go...


After giving a thought, I have decided to look for the auction venue. Even if I can't place a bid on the gloves, at least I could have a look at the gloves from afar to enjoy its design.


You: But the cruise is so huge, I don't know where the auction venue is at too...


Thinking again and again, I've finally decided to...


---- Choice: Where should I go next? ----


--- Choice: Do nothing ---


Because I didn't know where the auction venue is, I wandered aimlessly on the cruise.


You: I'll somehow find it anyways...


But then, the cruise is a whole lot bigger than I have imagined. After I've finally found the auction venue, the auction is closing to an end.


You: The auction item number 5, the pair of white cicada gloves... it's probably being auctioned off already...


Unable to look at the pair of gloves closely, the feelings of regret filled up my heart. I sighed, wanting to relieve my mood on the deck again. Who would've known that there's a velvet box laying on the table when I walked past the porthole? And within the black box lies the white cicada gloves!


The material of the gloves are as soft as the cicada wings, the obscure lighting in the room made it to look even more light.


You: So beautiful... I wouldn't have the chance to see this again... right?


I uncontrollably let out a sigh. Suddenly, a series of footsteps sounded behind me. I turned over, and immediately saw the Charlie in his red suit. He walked towards my side, that you could see a smug in his smile. 


Charlie: This pair of gloves now belong to me. If you wanted to have a look, come to me anytime.


You: You won the auction for this pair of gloves?


Charlie: Yes.


I was slightly surprised, but then again, I feel that this is indeed something that Charlie would do.


You: Then it'd be even more difficult for me to see it... since you wouldn't let me have a look at it easily.


I could already imagine that Charlie would be using the gloves as a 'bait' to 'threaten' me to agree to our engagement.


Charlie: Not bad, it seems like you know me quite well.


You: Haha, I don't even want to... 


I turned back to the pair of gloves, and decided to treasure my last moments with it.


Charlie: Judging on the fact that you came all the way here just to see me on this cruise, I could let you look at it as much as you want tonight.


You: Really?!


Looking at my eyes beaming in happiness, Charlie nodded in satisfaction.


Charlie: Let's go, I'll let you gain some knowledge.



--- Choice: Intimacy: Go to the deck on 4th floor ---


I've circled around the cruise ship, but I couldn't find the auction site.


You: The only place left is...


I went to the top of the cruise. When I remembered the lingering words by my ear from Charlie that were asking me to wait for him on the top floor, I could feel that my ears are getting a little hot.


You: ... I'm going up not to wait for him, just to ask him where the auction site is!


After giving myself an excuse, I stepped on the staircase with full of determination, walking towards the top floor. The space in the top floor is very quiet, only having a single room at the end of the corridor.



After hesitating for a second, I walked forward, raising an arm and was prepared to knock on the door. At this time, the dark, brown wooden door opened from the inside, and Charlie's face appeared before my eyes.


He seemed to be a little surprised, but quickly returned to his usual face with full of smug.


Charlie: As expected, you're still talking duplicity as always.


Looking at the lips that couldn't wait to curve all the way up to the heavens, I turned completely speechless, and decided to turn away to leave immediately.


You: I only went to the wrong direction, farewell!


Charlie: Where are you going to? Come in.



Wrist being held by him, Charlie dragged me into his room.


You: What are you doing... let go of me...


Charlie: Let me show you this.


You: What? I don't-


Only hearing a snapping sound, Charlie opened a black box and showed it to me.


Charlie: Are you sure that you do not want to have a look?


Setting off with the black velvet, the pure white, lightweight pair of gloves are like a shallow moonlight, quietly laying in the middle of the box.


You: White cicada gloves!


I widened my eyes in shock, and on the next second, something even more surprising happened.


Charlie took one of the gloves and proficiently put it on.


You: Slow down! That's a rare treasure from the last century!


Charlie: So what if it's from the last century? It's still a glove.


Charlie pulled the closing of the glove properly, and the gloves seemed to be tailored to him, fitting closely to his slender fingers. I froze while measuring the glove up, and suddenly, Charlie reached an arm before me.


You: What are you doing?


Charlie: I'm letting you to touch it. Don't you want to properly feel the design and material of these gloves? What are you waiting for? There'll never be a second chance like this.


His hand closed up to me even more. I lowered my gaze, looking at this pair of gloves that I've been thinking day and night...


[Tap anywhere other than his hand]



Charlie: Someone doesn't seem to be quite professional. If you are acting so perfunctory, then we can forget about this?


You: Can't you just put the gloves properly in the box? Also, how did the gloves ended up with you?


Charlie: That's obviously because I won the auction.


You: Already won the auction?! How are you so quick, I have yet to even find the auction site...


Opposite of my shock, Charlie looked like he's in a great mood. He took the gloves off, and gave the gloves to me.


Charlie: Slowly examine it, don't thank me too much.



[Feel the glove on his hand]



Charlie: I think you weren't actually feeling the glove, but to feel me properly, right?


You: ?! 


You: ... I shall not use my hand, just having a look would be enough.


Charlie: No need, go on.


He pursed his lips a little, as if he's enjoying the moment, then turned his hand over, completely settling it on my palm. Only through a very thin fabric, I can clearly touch his slender fingers, and the increasingly warm skin...


Each time I try to touch the inner patterns of the glove, he would intentionally or unintentionally curve his fingers, gently pressing onto my fingertips.


Charlie: Why did you stop?


I quickly pulled myself back to my senses, only to feel my ears starting to heat up.


You (flustered): ... I was only thinking about its material!


Charlie: This material is very lightweight and thin. I can feel your warmth. It's rare indeed.


Standing nearby, he lowered his gaze towards me, speaking as he slowly held onto my fingers... the obscure lighting magically radiates along with the warmth, I quickly retracted my hand, frantically wanting to switch the topic.


You: Ri- Right... How did you get this pair of gloves..


Charlie: Didn't I say it? This pair of gloves, I've already won it from the auction.


You: Already won the auction?! How are you so quick, I have yet to even find the auction site...


Charlie: Is there a difference between me placing a bid compared to you?


Charlie slowly took off the glove and placed it back to the box, then pushed it to me.


Charlie: Take it, slowly examine it.


I can't help but to reach out to touch that pair of white cicada gloves, and I kept feeling that it is still lingering with Charlie's warm touch...


--- Choice: Listen: To the top floor ---



I kept walking upwards, but I couldn't find the location of the auction site, and unknowingly arrived the deck on the 4th floor. Circling around the deck, it isn't just that I couldn't find the auction site, I couldn't even see anyone else. 


I sighed, and was ready to walk downstairs. Suddenly, a familiar figure before me.


You: Why are you here...


Charlie stepped up to the last step of the staircase and walked towards me. His hair flows along with the sea breeze.


Charlie: It's such a rare occurrence that you're this obedient. You were really ready to look for me on the top floor? Then let's go, just one more floor to go.


You: Wait a second, I wasn't here to look for you! I am only here for the sea breeze!


I walked towards the rail, making an expression as if I was enjoying the sea breeze. Charlie glanced at me, and was miraculously quiet. He only stood beside me, and casually placed his arms on the rail.


The atmosphere suddenly turned silent, that I suddenly turned nervous.


You: ... why aren't you participating the auction?


He turned around. As our eyes met, I could feel the sounds of my heartbeat now fusing with the peaceful waves of the sea.


[Here plays a sound clip of him speaking]



Compared to the auction, I have something else that I am more interested in.


And... Do you think it's a coincidence? Every time I think of 'it', 'it' will appear just before me.


Could it be that no matter where I am, that you could still find me?


Although I know my charms are endless, but it's illegal to install a GPS in someone's body.


*chuckles* Is that not it? Even in this corner that has nobody at all, you can always 'meet' me coincidentally. 


Why are you running away in such a hurry? Enjoy the breeze a little more.


Bored? I'll tell you something, the other parts of this cruise will be even more boring than this place...


At least, over here... there's something that will bring anticipation.


Hm? You didn't hear properly? I'm saying...


You're too far away, of course you wouldn't be able to hear properly.


Now that's better.


I'm saying, that since my fiancée is by my side now, it'll make things to be much more worth anticipating...


What? You're going away like this?


Well then. Then the gloves... You shall consider me not to have won the bid.


*Scoffs* Looks like you still have some interest in me.


The pair of gloves that you liked, I've won the bid. Right before this.


 Reason? I didn't want your focus to be placed elsewhere.


I must ensure to always have your eyes on me. Only look at me.



---- Choice: Heartthrob: To inner halls on 2nd floor ---



 


I've decided to try my luck in the inner halls on the second floor. As soon as I arrived the entrance, I could see the staff were guiding the guests to enter the area.


You: Looks like this is the auction site!


I hurried followed to enter the inner hall, looking around, but something feels odd.


You: Why does this place look like... it's quite different from a traditional auction site?


The brightly lit hall did not have the traditional auction stand or seats, but replaced with tables and tables of gambling tables.


Waiter: Good day, is there something that I could help you with?


You: Is the auction happening here?


Waiter: Yes, miss. This round of the cruise auction has a different ruling, the highest bidder does not win right away. The bidders are required to win a game of Texas Poker in order to qualify for bidding.


You: That means... The bidder not only needing enough bargaining power, but also winning the relative item's gamble?


The waiter nodded. Before I wanted to continue asking, not far away, a vulgar voice rises.


??: Is there noone? If there's nobody then I'll be taking this pair of gloves!


My sharp ears immediately caught onto the word "gloves", and I immediately looked over. In front of the retro gambling table, there's a man with long moustache and a large belly sitting right there, surrounded by many.


Guest A: Why is Jin Junde even here? Isn't he just an art broker?


Guest B: Yeah, do you know how much valuable treasures have he sold to those who do not appreciate them? It's such a waste...


No wonder this man looked familiar. I finally remembered that I've seen his news online. This man named Jin Junde has a poor reputation among the businessmen. He resold a lot of artwork, without caring the buyers' identity and background. The artworks that have been destructed indirectly through his hands are countless...


At this moment, he is triumphantly eyeing on the picture in the middle of the gambling table -- the white cicada gloves.


You: ...!!


I walked through the crowd in shock. Jin Junde looked at me in disdain.


Jin Junde: What's wrong, are you here to play a game with me missy?


You: I...


Jin Junde: If you're playing then sit down, else go to the side.


Looking at me hesitating, Jin Junde scoffed, and turned to look at the waiter behind me.


Jin Junde: It has been more than 15 minutes, and there's still nobody here. Is this auctioned item now directly belong to me?


"... I will never allow these gloves to fall in this person's hands!" was my only thought. I fiercely slammed my hand on the table, making an aggressive look.


You: I'll compete with you.


Jin Junde was in shock, but quickly returned to his senses.


Jin Junde: Alright, then let's begin.


He placed a black gold entrance ticket into the groove on the table, then leaned backwards, putting on a casual expression.


What does this mean? Could it be that only the people with a black gold ticket could participate in this game?


Jin Junde: What's wrong? You aren't backing off at this point of time, right? Or could it be... that missy isn't even a VIP of this auction? Not qualified for this game?


He laughed at what he said, and a couple of people behind him started laughing too. I stood on the spot in embarrassment, suddenly not knowing what to do.


You: I wonder if it's still in time if I look for Charlie now...


At this very moment, a familiar laughter came behind me. As if he has expected the situation here, Charlie appeared. My eyes brightened, and for the first time in my life, he looked exceptionally pleasant to my eyes, like a savior. I quickly moved in front of him, and my footsteps are a lot more confident now.


You: Are you here to participate in the auction?


Charlie: I'm only looking around, not interested in participating.


The flames of hope that I had extinguished quite a bit. As I was thinking about how to convince Charlie to join this auction, Jin Junde started talking.


Jin Junde: If you aren't interested then scram off, don't delay my time. Are you playing, missy?


You: I...


Charlie: I suddenly am interested.


My words were interrupted by Charlie. He walked to my side, casually threw the black gold ticket to the desk, and leaned on the chair. Was he helping me out? Or was he only doing this because he was provoked? I couldn't differentiate it, but I thanked him in a soft voice.


You: ... thank you.


Charlie: We're a family, don't mention it.


You: ...


The croupier checked both entrance tickets. Upon confirming that there's no error, he briefed the rules of the game. As the game is starting soon, I wanted to look for a place to spectate, but Charlie pulled me as soon as I turned my body.


Charlie: How could this game start if you aren't here to guide?


You (blinking): ... You don't know how to play Texas Poker?


I find Charlie suspicious, but he only shrugged, and raised his arm to point on the cards on the table.


Charlie: If you don't want to miss out on the gloves, then come here.


With no choice, I can only return to the side of the table, sitting on a chair beside him. Charlie picked up the base card, and I poked my head over to carefully examine it. Noticing that his hand isn't too good, but thankfully it isn't too bad. Perhaps it's also because Jin Junde noticed that Charlie doesn't know how to play Texas Poker, his face turned arrogant. The opponent is underestimating us... But this is also an opportunity.


I carefully calculated the situation based on what we have on hand, and within few rounds, while being seen lightly by the opponent, Charlie and I are slowly turning the game over.


Charlie: I didn't know you're this good, you play this pretty often huh?


You (pouting): Don't simply say things, and don't interrupt me.


I quietly refuted, and placed my focus onto the game again.


Croupier: Mr Jin, may I know if you wanted to follow?


It appears that Mr Jin's forehead is already oozing with sweat, his facial expression is turning worse.


Jin Junde: Wait a minute. I am applying for a temporal pause on the game.


He wiped his sweat, with his gaze circling between Charlie and I, then finally pointing his finger at me.


Jin Junde: This is a one-on-one auction game. The two of you are sitting right there, completely ignoring the game rules! This is bullying in numbers!


You: ?!


Looking at the soon-to-be attainable victory, I did not expect him to put up with this scene, a shameful act just because he's losing.


You: But there is only one person that is in the match with you.


Jin Junde scoffed in disdain.


Jin Junde: Only those who possess a black gold ticket are qualified, you are just someone who accompanies, what are your rights to sit by the table? Or are the companions also allowed to enter this venue? If that's the case, I don't mind having 10 of my bodyguards to help me out.


As he speak, the group of men in black took a step forward.


You: You--


I am anxious and angry. As soon as I wanted to stand up, Charlie held onto my wrist. On the next second, a strength that didn't allow me to fight back has pulled me over. By the time I returned to my senses, I am already sitting on Charlie's lap. I widen my eyes in shock, but he only smirked, holding the hand of cards with a hand, and another hand holding me while he stares at Jin Junde.


Charlie: I think your logic is reasonable. For a one-on-one game, there shouldn't be a third seat indeed. But there isn't a rule that says that a seat could only have one person on it, right?


He looked at the croupier, and the croupier shook his head. Charlie smiled with full of satisfaction, leaned backwards, and looking relaxed.


Jin Junde: Is this a problem with the number of seats? If you're acting such a way, then I'll call all of my companions over!


Charlie: Correction. She's my fiancée. Also if you are following the one-seat rule, and letting all of your bodyguards to sit on your lap too, we wouldn't mind them to enter the venue as well.



Charlie smiled in a deep tone, suddenly raising an arm over my waist, holding me closer towards him. 


Charlie: Is that right, my dear?


I could feel that my entire body is almost falling into his arms, and could only subconsciously place my arm over his shoulders. My back is now closely against his wide and warm chest, and by my ear it's the sounds of our hairs ruffling, and a mixture with our powerful heartbeats.


The equivocal atmosphere rose, bubbling like the gas in carbonated drinks, disturbing my stable mood. I tried to comfort my helplessness, trying to present myself as casually as him.


You: Haha, yeah...


Charlie: Sit tight, and don't let me get distracted.


The arm over my waist tightened a little, but I was in no position to say anything, that I could only put on a smile and nod. To my surprise, Charlie's playing the game smoothly, and you could even say that he is in charge throughout the entire game.


The fifth open card is out. I was in shock when he was pulling on a bluff to Jin Junde by going All-in, then casually spread the the straight flush of hearts on the table.


Charlie: I won.


Jin Junde that lost all of his chips turned pale. Speechless, he left the venue in staggering steps. The croupier placed he safe that contains the pair of white cicada gloves in front of us. Although the pair of gloves are now right in front of me, but there's something else on my mind.


You: You actually knew how to play Texas Poker?


Charlie: I don't recall myself saying that I didn't know.


You (pouting): But you said you needed guidance!


Charlie: Oh, that was because I wanted to put up an interesting act of winning as husband and wife*.


You: What husband and wife... this joke is boring!


Charlie: Boring? Didn't you act pretty vigorously earlier?


*T/N: 夫妻合璧大获全胜 was the original phrase used, it sort of translates to "fusing the power of the husband and wife to receive an all-round victory". (Just in case you didn't know, Charlie is the one MC was running away from because she thought he's some 50-year old dude.)


He slowly tighten his grip on my waist, and only then I realized what's going on and immediately jumped off from his chest, only to shake my head in denial.


You (pouting): I wasn't! Don't say things so simply!


Charlie: Double negative makes it positive. I understand.


You: Not at all!!!


Charlie ignored my refutes, and only pointed towards the box in front of us.


Charlie: Leaving so far away, do you not want to look at the gloves anymore?


He opened the box, on top of the black velvet lies the pair of thin gloves, so thin that they are like the wings of the cicada. I can't resist the temptation to get closer, slowing down my breaths, and started enjoying the design from a famed designer in the last century.


You: So beautiful...


Carefully holding one of the gloves, I started to examine its details carefully.


Charlie: Are you really planning to examine it while standing there?


You: Eh?


I stunned, only seeing Charlie straightening his body from the chair, then lifted his arms to pat on his legs.


Charlie: Sit here.


You: ... No way!


--- Choice: Heartthrob: To the deck on 3rd floor ---



I've decided to try my luck on the third floor's deck, since there are a lot of space there, it feels like it'd be a space suitable for auctions. Just when I arrived the third floor, I realized that my guess was right. There are many people around the deck, many of the VIPs are chatting about the auctioned items. And in the middle of the entire open air area has every auctioned items displayed in order.


You: Is that... the white cicada gloves?


I could immediately recognize the gloves in the glass display. The light white color of the gloves are enough to keep you dreaming about it. When I was ready to get closer to it, a waiter appears, politely blocking me away.


Waiter: Good day, miss. Please show your black gold entrance ticket.


You: This... may I know if it's only the people with the black gold entrance ticket who can participate in the bidding?


The waiter nodded, and my heart suddenly sunk in disappointment. It was already so difficult to enter here, and the gloves have finally laid before me, and now I am being stopped. I stood by the rail, tiptoeing as I lean forward with hopes to look into the details of the gloves, but my efforts were in vain.


You: If I knew about this, I should've brought a pair of binoculars...


When I was prepared to give up and leave, I suddenly saw a familiar figure. Charlie is holding a cup of red wine, casually sitting in the middle of the deck.


You: Should I ask him for help...


I was hesitant. Right at this time, Charlie turned over, and our eyes met. I stunned, and he seemed to be surprised too. But very quickly, the surprised look vanished as if they never existed, and his eyes are now full of smug.


With a bad premonition, I quickly turned around to walk away. But Charlie popped out right behind me before I could even take a few more steps.



Charlie: Since you're here, why are you hiding from me?


You: Don't talk as if I am here to look for you on purpose.


Charlie: For someone that gets shy so easily like you, it's pretty rare now.


I speechlessly looked at him and gave him a dry smile. I was too lazy to explain, since things wouldn't get through him no matter what I say.


Charlie: Well, you can't say anything now can you? Since we are already engaged, you don't have to be so tactful. Let's go, don't stand here stupidly.


He pulled me to a seating area in the deck. Just when I was about to refuse him, but looking at the white cicada gloves that are so close to me, I forgot how to fight back.


Charlie: You...


Charlie seemed to be saying something, but I felt like his voice has turned blurry. My focus has completely shifted towards the white cicada gloves not far away from me. Despite separated by a piece of glass, the delicate lines seemed clearly visible, the glowing white, lightweight material is even more of a rare find in this world.


You: Too beautiful...


As I was immersed into the beauty of its design, an evil, view-blocking large hand waved before me, disturbing my view.


You: Don't block me...


I turned my head over unhappily, only to meet Charlie's slightly unhappy expression.


Charlie: Is it THAT nice to look at? I am sitting right in front of you, and your sight could be attracted elsewhere? Incomprehensible.


You: You're the one that is difficult to understand, what's so great to fight over a pair of gloves...


I turned back to continue enjoying the pair of white cicada gloves as soon as I finished my sentence. Charlie paused, and actually stopped interrupting me.


Charlie: Well, if you wanted to look at it, then take all the time to do so. Since in a short while you wouldn't be able to see it anymore.


You: What do you mean?


Charlie smirked, and glanced towards the white cicada gloves.


Charlie: The pair of gloves are already bought by someone.


Just at this time, a staff walked down from the stage, and took out the gloves from the glass display. Before coming here, I briefly studied the rules of this auction. The auction has yet to begin, but the gloves are now kept away, this means...


You: Someone paid more than 20 times of its price to purchase it in advance...


The white cicada gloves are indeed a rare find, but with this price, it's a little too much...


You: Who on earth purchased the gloves?


Charlie: Do you want to know?


I quickly nodded, but Charlies leisurely picked up the red wine on the table, explaining the description on it. Until I started to get impatient, he pointed towards the table next to us.


Charlie: Looks like it's from that table.


Right before the retro gambling table sits a man with a long moustache and a big belly, surrounded by plenty of bodyguards. I could recognize the man right away, he's a businessman that has been active in various auctions, and has quite some popularity online. But I've heard from Ms Zhenlin that he has resold a lot of artwork, without caring the buyers' identity and background. The artworks that have been destructed indirectly through his hands are countless...


You: How could it be bought away by someone like him...


Charlie: What's the problem with that?


You: Do you not know that person? He's just an artwork reseller. He does not even truly love handmade artwork, but purchased the gloves with a high price... It must be for reselling purposes.


I sighed, but Charlie raised a brow, showing an expression that he couldn't comprehend my words.


Charlie: Well, you said it already. He's a businessperson. To your eyes, the pair of gloves are a rare treasure, but to him, it is merely a tool for investment.


He raised the red wine again as he speaks.


Charlie: Like this bottle of Romanee-Conti, is something that was purchased as a gift to me. If you like red wine, you'll feel that the bottle of wine has a great value. However, to the person who gifted this wine to me, it's merely a tool. But to me---


Charlie poured the red wine into the glass, twirling it a little, as if he's examining the color of the wine. But at the next second, the glass suddenly tilts, and the red wine are flowing along the walls of the glass, going right into the ash tray. I can't help myself but to stop him.


The glass is then placed upright on the table again, making a crisp sound. I am relieved. At least it didn't go to waste.


You: What are you doing?!


Charlie: I do not like red wine, so I will not force myself to finish it.


You: Then you wish to pour it all away?


Charlie: So what if I do? Even if I do so, others have no rights to comment on it.


You: Your actions are such a waste of resources!


Charlie: Am I someone like that in your eyes? Relax, I don't think that's worth doing. But this isn't an uncommon sight. Since each auctioned item has their own fate. They can't control who will be their owners, and it's the same for others.


He said that so naturally, even though I know he isn't wrong, but I can't help to get angry.


You: Whatever you say. But I still think that the valuable auctioned items should never belong to the collector himself only. They belong to the generation, and belong to every single person that truly understands them. Even if this bottle is emptied, but the process of fermentation, the taste, the quality, would still be loved and enjoyed by its hobbyists. So in a sense, its value and fate is not something that could be completely decided by you alone!


I finished my speech in one breath, angrily glared at Charlie. He looked surprised, a flash of shock passed by his purple eyes, but very quickly his look turned playful.


Charlie: Your point of view is rather interesting.


He raised his hand, passing the bottle of the wine to the waiter.


Charlie: Since you like these type of wine, I'll send you a box when I'm back. Consider that as a 'payment' for your speech.


You: This isn't even a problem with the wine alright?


Charlie: If you don't want the wine, I could also gift you something else. For example... how about the pair of white cicada gloves?


You: But isn't it being bought away already?


Charlie: According to the rules, I can also offer an even higher price to intercept the auctioned item.


You: No need... even if you spend such amounts of money to win the bid, I can't possibly return you.


Charlie: You're my fiancée. There's no need to return anything.


I glared at him, and Charlie stopped talking, then returned to the original topic.


Charlie: Well do you have your eyes on anything else that is auctioned? Anything in this venue is possible.


Hearing this, my heart moved.


You: Are you sure that anything here is possible?


Charlie: Of course. I am a man of my word.


You: Then... You'll be my auction item!


Charlie stunned, and raised his eyebrows in surprise.


Charlie: So you like to play it this way, huh.


You (flustered): W-what... I just wanted to pretend to be a bad owner, to make you understand the pains of the auctioned items!


Charlie: Do you think the bottle of the wine will understand pain?


You (pouting): Do you know what personification is? And I am here to educate you, to correct your wrong view!


Charlie nodded perfunctorily, and smirked. The sea breeze blew across his hair slightly, his pair of purple eyes are now focused on me. He raised his left arm, lightly placing it over his chest, and leaned a little forward. 



Charlie: Understood, my master. 


His deep tone made the atmosphere dull yet full of ambiguity, the air seemed to feel a little scorching hot. The words that went into my ears seemed to have sent some little pulses of electricity, making a small crackling noise, and my breathing rhythm is now messed up.


Charlie: Tell me, how do you plan to "spoil" my body?


Not just the way he says "master" so smoothly, or the sly smile on his face, I suddenly regret on my earlier suggestion. But since I've now said it, I need to get through this till the end!


You: You, stand up first.


Charlie: I shall obey.


He cooperatively stood up, his long legs took a stride towards my side, looking at me calmly.


Charlie: What's your next order?


You: Well... let's do this. Pour two glasses of red wine for me.


I pointed towards the bottle of Romanee-Conti. Charlie nodded clearly, opened the cork and slowly poured the wine into the wine glass. He probably has never done this, but his movements looked extraordinarily natural, graceful and calm, and maintained a distance that is just right. Looking closely, the serious side profile of his is rather...


Charlie: First time pouring wine to someone, it feels pretty refreshing.


As soon as he started talking, I could feel that the filter I've placed on him is now shattered to the floors completely. Seeing me not picking the wine glass, he paused, and held up a wine glass.


Charlie: I know it, is the next order to make me feed you?


You (flustered): ... Of course not!


Charlie: Don't be shy. To accurately guess my master's liking and orders should also be something that I have literacy in.


As he speaks, he bent his waist slightly, putting the glass in front of me. I could smell the faint scent from his body mixing with the dry and rich aroma, and I can't help but to fall into his territory. The sea breeze blew the umbrella above us so much that it has made a lot of rustling noise, covering my thundering heartbeat. He, however, seemed to hear my heartbeat, and chuckled. It was originally a punishment game to him, but why am I now the one acting passively?


Just as the glass was closing up to my lips, I quickly took the other glass of wine from the table. "Clang!" the two glasses made a crisp sound upon collision.



Charlie stunned, and I quickly took this opportunity to move backwards, then raised my glass again.


You: Let's end it here! I shall now announce that you are now free!


I withdrawn my body into the chair as I speak, then picked up the glass to take a sip of the wine, wanting to cover the suspicious redness on my face. Unsatisfied, Charlie expressed his disapproval, but sat opposite of me.


Charlie: You're too easily satisfied, making me to have no sense of accomplishment.


You: I don't care about your sense of accomplishment...


He shook his head, lazily supporting his chin with a hand, lowering his gaze into deep thoughts. I have a feeling that he's coming up with some bad ideas... 


After a while, he waved to call a waiter over.


Charlie: I wish to intercept auction item number 5, the pair of white cicada gloves.


You: Are you seriously buying it?!


Charlie simply nodded, as if it was a simple decision and not spending a huge sums over an auction item.


Charlie: When the gloves are here, I could give you ten minutes to enjoy looking at it. For the rest of the time, you could spend on me instead.


I thought he's going to say things like "marriage", but his request was surprisingly simple. I didn't even think for a second time, and nodded like how a chick pecks on grains.


Charlie: Are you that impatient?


You: Of course! To be able to have a chance to look at the works of a master in such a close distance, how could I not grab the chance?


Charlie: You are quite slow sometimes.


You (tilting head aside): Eh?


Charlie: Why don't you think that if the gloves would also be a waste if they were to fall into my hands?


The swaying lights fall onto Charlie's face, making his slender eyelashes and his tall nose to look even brighter with his pair of amethyst-looking eyes.


You: I...


He has already poured wine in front of me, but I don't know why, there's a voice in my heart, that he wouldn't do such a thing to that pair of gloves.


I hesitated for a long time, but I wasn't able to give him an answer. Unsure how long it took too, Charlie let out a light laugh.


Charlie (chuckle): Forget it. Rest assured that I know you see that pair of gloves as something important.


You: What does it have to do with me?


Charlie: I have cared for the things you valued, so relatively, you will naturally care more about me.


You: Your logic is really going overboard, a normal person will be unable to follow your train of thoughts...


Charlie: I am not an ordinary person to begin with. Also, if my fiancée could catch up, why would I need to care about the others?


He stood up and walked towards my side, gently putting my messy hair that was blown by sea breeze to the back of my ear, an obvious confidence and inevitable victory could be shown clearly through his eyes and lips. My surging heartbeat now fuses with the surrounding sounds of the sea, now unsure of where the reality is.





-------



The night falls as the auction ends, and the cruise is now sailing its way back to the city. There are barely anyone in the restaurant on the first floor, so I found myself a seat near the windows, recording all the inspiration I found on my notebook.


It is indeed better to have a look with my own eyes, that pair of white cicada gloves has indeed gave me a lot of brand new ideas. I got so deep into my thoughts until someone started to knock on the table, only to realize that Charlie has sat down in front of me again.


Charlie: This lady right here, are you ignoring me out of habit?


You: ... why don't you return to your top floor to rest, what brings you here?


Charlie: Well you aren't resting too. Is it because there are no space for you to sleep? You can sleep as you like on my bed.


You: Hold up right there! I am not sleepy!


Charlie's gaze moved down from my face, and looked at the design draft that I've half drawn. 


Charlie: Gloves again. Does that pair of white cicada gloves really give you that much inspiration?


You: That's right, the more I think of it, the more I think the seamstress that made this pair of gloves have superb skills, every line sewn is just right. Do you know? I heard that the very reason she designed that pair of gloves, is to thank the doctor that saved her. She was actually inspired from the surgery gloves, hence why she made this pair of gloves so thin.


Charlie placed his hand on the able, holding his chin up, it seems like it has caught his interest. His expressions gave me encouragement, so I kept explaining in endlessly.


You: 30 years ago, a seamstress suffering from an intractable disease was saved by a kind famous doctor when she was at the edge of despair. Not only did the doctor not collect any medical fees, but also gave her very gentle treatment, hence lighting up her hopes to live again. Therefore, upon recovery, she spend a couple of years to design and produce this pair of gloves. How is it, isn't this romantic?


Charlie patiently listened to me, and slowly spoke.


Charlie: But the story I have heard is quite different from yours. The reason why the doctor saved the seamstress, was purely because of his interest to experiment on intractable diseases. The seamstress' symptoms are very rare, that in his biography, the seamstress was labeled as 'Patient no. 47". He wasn't even thinking about encouraging someone, helping someone, and everything that happened was only assumed by the other party. How is it, do you think that it isn't as romantic now?


I've only heard of this version of the story for the first time. I speechlessly lowered down my head, looking onto the white cicada gloves that I've just drawn. But very quickly, I noticed a clue.


You: No, I don't think it's only that. Look at here.


At where I've pointed, the white cicada gloves' closing has a lotus embroidery. This should be something that the doctor requested someone to do after she passed away. Besides representing pureness, lotus also resembles adore. So this is a two-way love story! Although it could start from curiosity, but under the arrangement of fate, the love blossomed.


Charlie looked at the draft of the lotus and spaced out a little. The soft moonlight passes through the porthole, brightening this tiny corner. Under the gentle moonlight, Charlie now looks a lot more gentle, as if he has kept all his pride and edginess away.


Charlie: So, this pair of gloves that have now met me as a doctor, is also an arrangement by fate?


Unexpecting him to say such words, I stunned, and nodded.


You: Perhaps...


Charlie looked up towards me, though his eyes are only reflecting the gentle moonlight, they looked extraordinarily passionate. I can't help myself but to look down, but he didn't give me the chance to escape.


The pair of his large hands closed the draft on the table, he suddenly leaned over, giving me no choice but to look at him.


Charlie: Then you too.


You: Me?


Charlie: I mean... the arrangement by fate.


That pair of purple eyes looked at me from the top, with a grin on the edge of his lips with his usual rebellious smile.


Charlie: No matter if it's a beginning or an ending, I am looking forward to it.



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.