6☆ Date with Jesse - Auroral Night (绚丽极夜) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/04/2021 11:07:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-



The endless view of snowy field exudes a soft, silvery white moonlight. From time to time, there are some small animals that I couldn't name of chasing each other along the streets, leaving a trail of tiny footsteps.


On this peaceful and quiet northern islands, the journey between Jesse and I have came to an end without knowing it. Because the latitude here is very high, and it is also midwinter, so the long night skies have arrived very early.



The orange lights started to light up house by house, radiating with the starry night in symphony, just like a childhood fairytale. The thing that I am anticipating the most, of course, would be the constantly changing, unpredictable aurora. From the very first day of arrival, we have been waiting for its arrival. However, the aurora did not grace upon us for even once.


You: It'd be great to see the aurora on the last night.


Jesse: Right? I really wanted to see it at least once!


I turned around to look at him suspiciously.


You: I thought it isn't the first time you've seen an aurora? How are you seeming more excited than I do?



Jesse: Well, watching it with you has a different kind of feeling...


Jesse's gaze looked away unnaturally. 


Jesse: ... Uh, I was saying, the way you're always making a fuss every time is exceptionally fascinating.


You (pouting): Looks like you needed a good spanking. 


Who knows what kind of idea this fella has been making. I remembered him inviting me here with full of excitement.


Jesse: When you're on annual leave next month, let's travel somewhere together! Let's go to the northernmost part on the earth!


You: Really?! I wanted to go there before too! Just that the visa application process is too troublesome, so I gave up.


Jesse: Just prepare the required documents, and leave the rest to me!


He straightened his back and patted on his own chest, confidently winked towards me.


Jesse: Things such as visa, flight, accommodation and itinerary, I will make sure to arrange them all accordingly. You just needed to bring yourself!


Throughout the entire journey, I really did exactly what he said, only bringing my mouth and both of my legs. Is this what you call the happiness of a lying win?


Jesse: Why are you secretly slacking off by yourself?


You: Well if I told you is it still gonna be 'secretly'?


Jesse lightly scoffed, raising a knuckle to graze my nose lightly.


Just as we speak, the sound of thunder could be heard from afar. I followed the sound and looked out from the windows, only to see the thick clouds accumulating on the skies, blocking the originally clear skies.


You: Judging from this weather, it feels like it's impossible to have aurora. When I met our neighbor earlier this morning, they even said that it might be snowing tonight...


Jesse poked my droopy head, walked to my front to block the dark clouds away.


Jesse (grinning): Weather forecasts are only for reference purposes, who knows the weather might turn better a little later? But besides watching the aurora, I also have some backup itinerary proposals for our journey's finale.


You: Proposals... for the finale?


Jesse: Mhm! Just nearby our place there is a handicraft shop, there are many handicraft art pieces, I feel that you would like it. If you wanted to go a little further, there's a specialty restaurant in the city. Once you are done with your meal there, you can also wander around in the city.


You: That sounds really fun! Who would've thought that you know how to hold back a trick or two!


Jesse: I don't have only a trick or two in my sleeves!


He raised his brows, smirking with a face full of smug.


Jesse: In order to give you a perfect journey, I have done plenty of research!


You: Then I shall properly consider about the options.


The few choices are intensely fighting with each other in my head, I've finally decided to...


---- Choice: How should I arrange the last day of this journey? ----


--- Choice: Do nothing ---



You: How about we stay indoors, then hang around the courtyard to try our luck again?


Jesse: Alright, let's have a leisure time on the last day then.


Jesse returned back to the room with me, and we started to make many nonsensical small talks, and suddenly a flash of green light appeared outside of our window!


You: The light just now... is that an aurora?!


Both of us rushed to look outside of the window, but could only find a couple of children chasing each other around, waving around with a green light stick.


You: Haha, what is this...


Jesse: Though it's a bad counterfeit, but wasn't that interesting too? 


We looked at each other and smiled, then spent our final night of the journey in the green lights shining outside the window.


--- Choice: Intimacy: Suggest to visit a souvenir shop ---


You: How about we shop around the nearby souvenir shop?


Jesse smiled and nodded, we quickly departed during the shop's operating hours.


Walking on the empty sidewalk, I did not notice that instead of the snowy layer, I stepped right on a clear icy surface!


You: Ah!


I reached my arm to grab onto something in a hurry--


[Tap on anywhere but his arm]


Tap on his head: Aiya! My head! 💗

Tap on shoulder: Hm? Is this some new kind of prank? 💗

Tap on chest: Whoa! Why are you assaulting my chest? 💗

Tap under his waist: Ah?! 💢





I pulled Jesse, and he too, did not stand stably, and both of us now sat right on the icy surface.


Jesse: Sss... So painful... Tell me in advance when you are going to fall down next time.


You: If I know about that in advance, I wouldn't be falling down...


We helplessly sat on the icy surface as we rub our sore butt, looking at how embarrassed each other are, we collectively started laughing.



[Tap on Jesse's hand]



Jesse: Hm?!


You: Hm...?


Both Jesse and I looked at each other, and I was only back to my senses until his gaze moved towards his wrist. Noticing that my grip have left a red mark on his pale wrist, I immediately let go of his hand, but he used some strength to pull me by in his arm, and I am now sliding into his embrace.


Jesse: Hold tight.


Because of the current position that we're in right now, our faces are sticking closely to each other, so close that I could even see his fine hairs on his face so clearly. I quickly turned my head away from him.


You: Alright alright, I can stand properly now!


Jesse: Are you sure? Then I'll let go of you.


Holding me while I could barely balance myself on the icy surface, then he slowly let go of my hands. But the surface was too slippery, that for once again I've lost my foot balance, falling into his embrace all over again. He tightened his grip on my waist, held me up and made a huge stride from the icy surface to the snowfield. I have yet to understand what happened, and only held onto his jacket. A light chuckle came upon my head.


Jesse: Hahaha, you are like a koala right now. How about you keep hanging onto me like this?


You (pouting): Stinky Tangyuan*, I dare you to say it again!


*Tangyuan (汤圆) is a traditional Chinese dessert made of glutinous rice flour, it's round and chewy. MC calls Jesse 汤圆 as his childhood nickname because he was chubby back then.


Jesse: Hey hey hey, you can keep talking, but don't resort to violence!


I picked up some snowballs and fiercely smashed them on Jesse, and being unwilling to lose, Jesse returned fire. Right now, the empty snowfields has only both of us yelling in pain.


--- Choice: Listening: Suggest to wander around ---


You: Then we shall just wander around.


As soon as I finished my sentence, a shadow leaped out from the courtyard outside the windows like a flash of lightning.



You: What was that?


We walked towards the window and opened it.


[A long voice clip by Jesse plays here]


Looks like there's a big guy coming over here.


Hey! Mr Elk!


Yo, he turned around! He doesn't look like he's afraid of strangers.


It's a rare chance, should we call him over for a chat?


*smug* hmhm, you wouldn't believe it even if I said so, but I am an expert in the elk language.


Awooo--- Uuu--- Auuu... uuuuuu?


Why do you look at me with such a suspecting expression?


Look! It came over here now isn't it? This isn't a coincidence.


Uuuu--- uu--- uu? uuu....


It came over to greet us, and asked us if we've had our meal.


Uuu... Auuuu....


Then I replied him, we are preparing to look for food now.


How is it? Do you want to learn?


Auu-- Au--- Ouu--- this is how they greet.


No no, that isn't right. Your mouth needs to pout a little more, auu... auu...


*smiling* That's right, this round isn't bad.


I wasn't lying to you, just that... your look just now was... really cute.


Really, look! Even the elk nodded!


He even said that this missy right here is really cute, and hoping to be able to play with us again next time.


Auuu--- Uuuu--- uuuu?


Sorry, we're going back tomorrow.


He said, he hoped that we will come again next time.


He also said, that he hope the cute missy can talk more to him next time.


Hmm? You wanted to touch him?


Then I'll ask if he's alright with that. Auuu--- AuuuuuUuuu Auuu Auuu??


That's great! He said it's alright!


Oh! He's here!


Don't be afraid, I've talked to him already.


He even said he wanted to kiss you, but I rejected it for you.


Of course you can't do that! This kind of memories... should be left with someone more important.



--- Choice: Heartthrob: Continue looking for the aurora ---


You: I wanted to make my last bet, and wait for the aurora for another night!


Jesse: I knew you'd say that. Then let's head out now!


He took the scarf laid on the sofa and wrapped it around my neck, layer by layer, then even tying a slanted butterfly knot. Then, he took the beanie and clipped them to my head, even tidied the brim, tucking every corner carefully. His breath evenly spreading across my forehead, the warmth passes briefly, now leaving some of the warmth lingering around.


You: ... I can do this myself.


Jesse (whispering): Just a bit more.


He continued to put everything together, and gently pat on my head.


Jesse: Alright, it's all done! Now it's your turn to help me.


He half-squatted in front of me and tilted his head up a little, looking at me with his puppy eyes.


You: ... You're already this big and still acting like a baby, you are really having a lot of nerve.


Jesse: Well I'm acting like a baby only for you.


I took advantage of the current situation and flicked on his forehead, then wrapped the scarf over his neck.


Upon finishing our preparations, we left the door together.



The sounds of the winds today seemed to be louder than before, rustling from the woods to the snowfield, blowing directly onto our faces.


"Haaa..." I let out some warm air and rubbed my hands, but the warmth disappeared along with the white steam. On the next second, my hand is being placed into a warm palm, and stuffed into the pocket of a thick jacket.


You (blushing):  ...You?!


Jesse: Once this side is warm, you can switch to the other side.


The warmth from the palm spreads its way to my cheeks, that my cheeks are feeling so hot it almost felt like they were burning. Luckily, the cold winds in the night blew over, putting my reasoning abilities back together.


We walked shoulder to shoulder, the pedestrians on the street is far lesser than the previous days, the streetlights are standing upright on their own, with their lightings that make the atmosphere to look lonelier.


The layers of the clouds in the skies collide into each other, rubbing against each other, and giving out the sounds of thunder from time to time.


You: It'd be great if the skies could turn clear...


Jesse: Although we can't change the climate, we could change the destination!


As we speak, we have arrived at a crossroad. The alley on our left seems to lead to a spacious observatory.


For the past few nights, we were waiting for the descendance of the aurora. But this round, Jesse pulled me to walk towards an alley on the right side.


You: Eh? Wait a minute! Isn't it the road to our left?


Jesse: No~ No. Today's lucky direction is right side.


The orange lights spreading on the snowfield, laying out a path that leads us to an unknown place. He held my hand, confidently stepped on the accumulated snow.


After about 10 minutes by foot, the road stopped at an empty snowfield.



You: There's no road before us... Are you sure that you are not on the wrong path?


Jesse: It should be around here.


He looked around, as if he was looking for something amidst the darkness.


Jesse: Ah! Right there, found it!


I looked towards the direction he pointed to, it looks like there's a cave far away that exudes some rays of mysterious blue light, like a cave that is occupied by fairies. 


You: This is...



Jesse: It's a good spot that will make you have no regrets in this journey.


Jesse switched on the torchlight on his phone, lighting up the path towards the cave. I anxiously held onto his hand tightly, taking careful steps into the unknown. Very quickly, we have arrived the cave entrance.


The azure waves of light flows out from the cave, lingering around the surroundings, that it would make one to be unsure if they are in a fiction or reality.


You: It's actually a blue ice cave--


I can't help but to step forward, but was blocked by an arm.


Jesse: The path inside would be quite difficult to walk on, so I'll go first.


Jesse entered the cave first, so rather than walking side by side, I am now walking behind him. He held my hand even tighter.


As we walk into the cave, the towering ice walls is full of patterns of the waves. Under the lighting from the torch, they sway and change into a strange blue light.


We kept moving forward, and suddenly a soft light shines on top of Jesse's head. Following the light, I raised my head, noticing a small cave opening with the moonlight pouring downwards.


You: So beautiful...


The sight before me is like a kaleidoscope, so I kept looking around. Suddenly a small black thing rushed towards me. Shocked, I turned around to avoid it, but my foot slipped. I gracefully turned a half-circle on the icy surface, and sat on it right after. Jesse turned around to have a look, and he couldn't hold back from letting out a stifled laugh, and came to my side with a stride, wanting to lift me up.


Jesse: Pfft haha, are you alright?


You: Sss... My ankle hurts, what is that thing that suddenly ran over here?


Jesse: Just a small fox! Don't move, let me have a look.


He took off the scarf around his neck, stacking them into multiple layers on the icy surface, then carefully lifting me to sit on it, then knelt down on a knee to lift my ankle, gently tugging my trouser up.


You: Your scarf...


Jesse: That doesn't matter. Hahaha, you were so funny just now. Thank you to this contestant for her performance of "Swan Lake"!


You: Wait till I manage to stand up, I'll flatten you! 


But at the moment Jesse saw my ankle, his brows frowned slightly, and his smiley lips suddenly pursed into a single line. My heart started to feel a little worried too.


You: It's all my fault for not being careful...


Jesse: It's my fault for not warning you beforehand.


The pure blue lights reflected in his eyes, slightly rippling like the tender waters. I gently pat on his head, then pointed towards the opening above us.


You: Looking from here, that looks like a gigantic blue dragon now! If we change our perspective there's always a surprise, so we still earned something!


Jesse: How can you say that you earned something with your condition... I need to be thankful that you're a designer, not an economist.


He helplessly glanced at me, taking out a pain relief spray, spraying it a couple times on my ankle.


Jesse: Luckily I brought the spray for emergencies. When you feel better, let's walk back.


He sat right next to me, making a little frown, and kept staring at my injured ankle.


You: Don't be this worried, it isn't that terrible. Also, seeing such a magnificent blue ice cave, even the regrets of not being able to see an aurora is now gone.


Jesse: Are you serious? You're already content with this? I actually have a couple of tricks in my sleeve.


He looked at me in full of surprise, mumbling unhappily.


You: Eh? What do you have?


Jesse: Well you are already satisfied, why bother asking?


You: Fine, fine, I'm not satisfied yet, is that enough?


Jesse smiled in excitement, then opened up his clenched fist, showing some yellow granules on his palm like magic. He casually threw those granules into the air, and they obediently floated in the air, twinkling lightly along with our breaths.


You: This is...?


Jesse: It's the aurora that I've prepared for you.


He turned to me and smiled, then gently twirled his index finger like a conductor, controlling the floating movements of the granules. The pale yellow granules, along with his movements, slowly flew towards the blue ice on top. The two colors are like the colors on a palette, the lights mixed together to show an emerald green color, just like the aurora!


You: How did you do that?


Jesse: I'm a magician, did you forget?


You: This is too pretty...


I exclaimed as I reached my arm towards the aurora hanging mid-air.


You: But, this magic requires some right place and timing.


I followed his gaze towards the cave opening, only to see the starlight now covered by the dark clouds. Before my fingertips could reach the green rays, the shadow has consumed the light completely. Startled upon seeing nothing in my palm, I looked up to the surrounding blue ice that returned to their original state, trancing upon the experience I had that seemed like an illusion.


You: What happened just now...


Jesse ruffled on the the top of my head, smiling.


Jesse: Let's treat that as a dream between the two of us. Then, this could be considered that I've seen the aurora with you.


He looked at me without even a blink, his aquamarine eyes are filled with seriousness. In a trance, the little boy who promised me so solemnly appeared before my eyes. I suddenly understood why he was so stubborn to bring me to a trip for aurora.


You: You aren't doing this because of the embarrassment episode on the rooftop when we were younger right?


On that day, a neighbor's child lied to us to wait for the aurora on our rooftops. At that time too, we are sitting side by side like this, anticipating as we stared into the night skies. Until our parents came searching for us, it's already past midnight. We were unwillingly being dragged home, and both of us ended up with a flu.


Only then I realize, that in the city we were living in, it's impossible to have a glimpse of aurora.


Jesse: Haha, you remember too.


You: Of course I would, you were asleep while leaning on me, not even budging no matter how hard I pushed.


Jesse: Hey, where were your focus at? I was only chubby at that time alright? If you don't believe me, I'll lean on you now, and you can try to see if you can push me off now?


He leaned against my back as soon as he finished speaking.


You (pouting): You're so heavy!


Jesse: Then push me~ push me!


I can't resist his passionate urgings, so I was ready to turn over and push him lightly. But when my hand just touched him, he collapsed directly to the floor. When I wanted to pull him, he held onto my arm, and now pulling me off balance and falling backwards! He stably held me in his arms, chest onto my back. He started to laugh before my screams could end. I too, uncontrollably laughed with him, even though I didn't know what I was laughing at. 


We laid down like this, looking at the movements of the blue lights. It felt like someone has pressed onto the time pause button, that this moment is extended indefinitely. If there's a moment of eternity, it's probably like this moment. 


Suddenly, a tint of green light passed through the opening, breaking the frozen moment of time.


You: That is--!


I quickly stood up, but the pain on my ankle made me stumble. Jesse got up to hold me, then knelt down before me again.


Jesse: Come on up.


You: Huh?


He turned over and smiled, his grin looks gentle like a crescent moon.


Jesse: Don't you want to chase the aurora?


You: Yeah!


I nodded, carefully laid on his back and circled my arms around him. Jesse held my legs and lifted me up, walking forward. His wide back is warm and reliable. I dare not to move, and stick with him closely with an increasing heartbeat.


Just when we were close to the opening, the cold winds blew onto my face, stinging a little. I can't help but to bury my face onto his back.


When I raised my head, the view before my eyes has completely changed. The dazzling light spreads from the horizon, all the way to the top of our heads, and moved towards somewhere even further. In this very moment, there are no words that could describe how I feel.



Jesse: We've finally made it!


You: After the long wait, we finally made it!


Jesse: We've now completed a wish together, let's commemorate this!


You: Yeah... How about you let me down?


Jesse: It's okay, I'm not tired at all.


You: But I wanted to sit down and watch the aurora with you...


Jesse: Alright, since you said it that way.


He smiled and placed me down, sitting on the snowfield together with me. 


The cold winds blew, and I can't help but to shiver. Jesse spread his arms and circled before me, a warm breath now hits the side of my face. My ears are feeling slightly hot, I could only distract him by pointing towards the aurora.


You: Quickly look at the aurora already, it took so much effort to chase it.


He smiled as his gaze follows the direction I pointed to, looking into the beautiful night skies. The light is flowing like the silk, dancing as its colors interchanges between reds and greens.



On that night on that rooftop, he laughed as he pointed my face that was 'colored' by the neon lights from the opposite building, we laughed unscrupulously. Right now, he's veiled under the real auroras, with his arms around me, and watching the magnificent view. His gaze is warm and firm. The Tangyuan that always followed behind me seemed to have grown into a very reliable person now.


I quickly shook my head, returning my focus to the aurora that will disappear anytime.


You: Where do you think the aurora will head to?


Jesse: I think, it's probably moving forward to the people who wanted to see the aurora.


You: Since we saw them, does it mean it has heard our wishes?


Jesse: It doesn't matter if it has heard us or not.


He lifted his head, and rubbed his chin onto my head.


Jesse (whisper): I heard you.


His voice was very soft, but every single word are now clearly carved into my heart, strating a light ripple.


Jesse (whisper): No matter if it's this wish, or your wishes in the future; No matter which place you wished to go, or sceneries that you wish to see... I will realize it for you.


I fixed my gaze onto him. Perhaps it's because my expression was overly focused, the Jesse that was very firm earlier scratched his head in embarrassment.


Jesse: Aiya, although the wishes can't be redeemed right away...


I shook my head and interrupted him.


You: That doesn't matter! Our Tangyuan is now a reliable grown up.


Under the witness of the aurora, I have attained the most treasurable piece of memory in this journey.



--- Choice: Heartthrob: Visit the City ---


You: Then let's go to the city! Judging from the weather, the chances to see the aurora aren't high.


Jesse: Sure! We might gain something new if we switch places.


Jesse readily accepted my suggestion, so we drove towards the city. The warm lights slowly emerge from the vast snow, slowly a warm town appeared in sight. The wooden houses are painted into different colors like pieces of wooden blocks, standing on the small snowy hill along the streets.



You: So magical...


I spaced out as leaned over the car windows, but my stomach suddenly let out a sad growl.


"Growl..."


I looked down and pressed on my tummy in embarrassment, Jesse only chuckled a little, then parked the car on a public parking spot on the roadside.


Jesse: I am hungry too, let's find somewhere to eat.


You (blushing): Okay...


After getting off the car, the aroma from the food is more apparent in the air. The scent of the meat sauce, sausage, basil spices contradicting each other, yet mixing in the air in harmony, making my stomach to growl all the way.


Jesse: Do you have something in particular that you wanted to eat?


You: Hmm... how about eating some local specialties?


Jesse: Then let's go to the tavern over there. The reviews are pretty good, I've read about it from travel guides. 


An "OPEN" sign hands on the door handle, we pushed the door and walked inside. The bronze bell made a crisp ring, the busy sounds flowed right into my ears. People in suits are singing and dancing at the bar, the lively atmosphere could almost tear this triangular top floor apart.



You: The popularity here is really extraordinarily high.


Jesse: Looks like the place is fully booked, do you want to change to another restaurant?


??: Heyyy, my friend~ Why are you leaving as soon as you arrived? The marriage ceremony has just begun, let's celebrate together!


Jesse & You: Wedding ceremony?!


Both of us exclaimed as we turned back, only to find a foreign man dressing up like Santa Claus smiling at us.


??: Oh, I don't think I've met you before.


Jesse: We are here as travelers.


??: Oh, nice to meet you, I'm Hans, the owner of this tavern. It's my daughter's wedding ceremony today, we welcome you to join us!


You: Thank you for your kindness, congratulations to your daughter's wedding. But, we are only passerby... can we really join you?


Hans: Of course! It's the will of Gods that have brought you here. Also, it's never too much blessings to the bride. Come come come, it'll be the next song soon, let's have a dance of blessings!


The overly hospitable boss hums a tune, and pushed us into the dance floor from behind. The other guests on the dance floor to greet us as if they have finally met an old friend. Jesse smiled as led me over.


Jesse: This beautiful lady over here, would you care to have a dance with me?


The music started, under the atmosphere like this, how could I reject it? Along the brisk accompaniment, Jesse led the dance, completely unfettered. I followed him, and gracefully circling as we join with the sounds of joyous laughter. The tempo of the music increases, the changing lighting, the bustling noise, and everything around me has became a blur -- except Jesse in front of me. 


The chandelier's light passed through the colorful glazed lampshade, projecting colorful bits of light onto his face. I spaced out all of a sudden, that I forgot my movements and even stepping onto his shoe's surface.


You: Ah, I'm sorry!


Jesse: What were you thinking about that got you this excited?


The warm breath closed up to my ears with a smile, I frantically straightened my neck


You: Ah? I was thinking... what's there for us to eat later!


He let out a deep chuckle, the arm that was over my waist suddenly tightened its grip, pulling me into his embrace. The flickering red and green lights flashed across the tip of his hair, as if there was an illusion of an aurora.


You: I suddenly think that... Being able to attend a wedding ceremony in a foreign place is as lucky as seeing the aurora.


Jesse startled, then his brows curved up.


Jesse: Then we need to properly treasure this luck.


As he speaks, he held my hand, leading me to circle again and again. My heart started to feel light under the light dizziness. But each time I am about to drift away like a floating feather, he will pull me back into his warm chest.


After the song ends, everyone lingered around for the next song, but Jesse led me away from the dance floor.


You: Eh? Not dancing anymore?


Jesse glanced at my stomach, pulling me towards the buffet area.


Jesse: Of course I wanted to continue dancing with you, but I was worried... that someone's stomach will have an opinion.


You (pouting): What do you mean by "someone's stomach will have an opinion"? I'm not the only one hungry here--


Jesse: Alright, it's me, it's me! Listen, my stomach is so hungry that it could play an orchestra now.


He speaks as he pretend to have ran out of energy due to hunger, placing his arm over my shoulder.


??: Bon appetit!


A familiar voice sounded beside us. We looked over right away, only to see Hans standing behind us as he takes his food.


Jesse: Thank you for your hospitality, the atmosphere here is great.


Hans: Haha, I hope you enjoy your time here! I recommend this seafood rice, it's our signature dish!


Hans shoves a full plate to us. The rice is glazed with sauce and topped with various seafood, just looking at it made my stomach to let out a loud growl.


You: Ah... Excuse me.


Hans: Not at all! If you have yet to find a seat, how about joining us?


Looking at the crowded dining area, Jesse and I nodded in sync. Hans passionately led us through the rows of dining table, all the way until a long table.


Hans: This is my new friend, these two are my old friends, everyone are interesting people.


After greeting Hans' friends and taking our seats, Hans stuffed something into our hands like he's performing some magic. I took it up to have a closer look, it's a statue of an elf that is regarded as a patron saint by the locals, something that I've only seen in documentaries.


Hans: This is a small gift for friends that have joined us.


You: Thank you! This is so adorable!


Hans: Not just that it's cute, it's also a symbol of happiness here. It's the best item to bless your relationship.


You: We...


Jesse: Thank you for your blessing.


Jesse answered to Hans in such a straightforward manner, without even denying our "relationship" for a single bit! I nodded, then purposely lowered my head, not wanting to let anyone notice my burning cheeks.


You (blushing): I... I forgot to grab some drinks, I'll go get them...


Jesse: I forgot too, I'll go there with her.


Jesse chased me right after I left the table. Until we reached somewhere where nobody could hear us, I tugged his sleeves.


You: Why did you--


Jesse stunned, innocently widen his eyes.


Jesse: If we denied it just now, it'd be rather awkward for the host...


You: That's true too...


Jesse: I'm so sorry, for letting you to pretend being a couple with me, I'm sorry for making you to go through all these.


Jesse nervously pursed his lips, carefully examining my expression, the puppy-eyes made my heart to melt immediately.


You: Well it wasn't to such an extent, since you're so popular.


Jesse: Then that's great to know. Let's go and get some drinks.


He swiftly turned over, walking in light steps and seemed to be humming something, the anxiousness in him seemed to have disappeared -- why did I forget that he's an actor?!


Returning to the long table, everyone are surrounding there noisily. 


Hans: You're back just in time! We're playing a game.


Hans stood up as soon as he sees us, holding each of us with an arm, pushing us towards the table.


??: Hans, quickly help over here! We're taking a picture!


There's already a middle-aged lady waving towards Hans before we were even seated. Hans immediately pat on Jesse's shoulder.


Hans: Oh, my wife is asking me to go over to help. You guys start first, just nice enough to take over my spot!


He quickly left right after, only leaving the two youngsters facing us.


Female guest: Well then, let us explain the game rules, you can listen while eating.


You: Sure.


Male guest: It'd be more fun to play with new friend than Hans, there would definitely be something new to listen to.


After listening the rules, it seems like it's a game of "Never Have I Ever". Everyone will put 10 fingers up, taking turns to say something that they have done. If what was said is something that you have never done before, you'll need to keep a finger down.


Female Guest: The first to put down all 10 finger loses, is this clear?


Jesse and you: Mhm.


Female Guest: Then let's try a round! Starting from you guys.


You: Eh, then... I've slept on the catwalk stage before.


Everyone threw me a weird glance and placed a finger down. Jesse was so shocked that his mouth is wide open.


Jesse: Why are you sleeping on the catwalk stage? Why am I only hearing it for the first time?


You: I'll tell you more about it when we're back! Alright, your turn!


Jesse: Then... I've eaten 20 hotdogs in a go!


You: Huh?! When?


This time, I am the one that is in shock.


Jesse (smug): Heheh, you aren't the only one that has little secrets.


Everyone unwillingly put a finger down, only the man that looks like he has great appetite kept his finger up, confidently showing off his nine 'surviving' fingers. The examples from others, though, are more eye-opening.


Male guest: I've hunted a bear in the forest.


Female guest: I've made a snowman that's 2m tall.


After a round, everyone has only 7 fingers left. In a whim, it is my turn again.


You: I...


Female guest: You need to think of something in 10 seconds~ 10... 9...


As I get anxious, my mind turned into a blank.


Female guest: 7... 6...


Jesse (whispers): To be, or not to be...


!


You: I went to the backstage of the stage play for Hamlet!


Female Guest: I'll let this slide this time, no giving tips next round!


She winked at Jesse, but still placed a finger down.


Female Guest: Alright, next~


As the game progresses, everyone's competitiveness has rose, and quickly we've arrived at the last turn. When the male said his longest record in a sauna is 1 hour, the female guest put her final finger down. After Jesse and I both losing each round, the three of us all have only a single finger left. The next thing that the man says is highly likely to determine the game results.


I peeked at Jesse, mouthed "get a hold of yourself together" to him. He calmly drank a cup of water, smiled at me, looking rather confident to win the game.


Male guest: Ahem. It's my turn now. I used to keep a friend's photograph on me for six years.


You: Ah.. I never...


I put down my last finger in disappointment, nervously looking at Jesse, anticipating for his response. But Jesse's expression became very complicated.


Jesse: I too...


He paused, and hesitantly looked at me. His eyes showing that he's struggling with forbearance, and finally placing the last finger down.


Jesse: Oh well, I'll surrender.


The man cheered happily, but I kept looking at Jesse's face. He pursed his lips with his droopy eyes, avoiding my gaze. The soft music from the dance floor now passes to our ears, making the atmosphere filled with subtle ambiguity. A few youngsters waved to us as they danced, the two other guests immediately responded.


Male Guest: Friends are inviting us for a dance, do you guys wanna join?


You: I'll pass, enjoy the dance!


Male Guest: Alright, enjoy your time too! It was fun playing with you two!


Jesse: Uh, wait a moment.


Male Guest: Oh?


Jesse: I wanted to know... what happened to you and that friend of yours later on?


The male guest let out a gentle smile after hearing Jesse's question.


Male Guest: After that, she became my wife.


Jesse startled a little, but the male guest has taken a quick stride towards the dance floor. After they left, the long table has only the two of us left.


Jesse: Do you need me to get more food?


You: No need.


I stopped the Jesse that was about to get up, unable to suppress the doubts in my mind.


You: Were you... losing on purpose?


Jesse startled, and his gaze started to move everywhere, obviously trying to avoid me. I suddenly feel a sense of nervousness. The boy that I used to spend day and night with has his own little secret now, and I was completely unaware of it. I tried my best to act like I didn't mind, slyly poked his waist.


You: Let me guess, it must be someone "special" to you~


Jesse stayed silent, a suspicious blush suddenly creeped onto his face. He seemed to have realized it, and turned his head aside after coughing lightly. His reactions has betrayed him thoroughly, it looks like he indeed has met his "special one".


I stunned, and pulled my senses back together after chasing off the weird feelings, returning to my previous tone.


You (pouting): How dare you for hiding something this important from me! Am I even a friend to you now?


Jesse: No, that's not it!


He impatiently sprouted those words, his aquamarine eyes looked at me, that I could see a glimpse of unspeakable grievance.


Jesse: Really, what kind of nonsense are you thinking about?


You (pouting): Then, whose photo was it, can't you tell me?


Although the surrounding is filled with noises of the music and dances, but I can only hear my increasing heartbeat. His mouth opened and closed with full of hesitant, then finally admitting defeat after drooping his shoulders.


Jesse: Do you remember, that once upon a time we were lied to by a neighbor, thinking that we could really see the aurora from the rooftop?


You: Of course.


Jesse: It took me so much effort to take my dad's SLR camera out, but there wasn't any aurora for me to photograph, so I had to use something else to practice...


He glanced at me with full of guilt, then I suddenly understood everything. A wonderful yet warm feeling gently held onto my heart that was left hanging. Remembering the series of weird expressions I've made, I'm now embarrassed, quickly changing the topic away.


You: Is the photo still with you? I wanted to have a look!


Jesse: After meeting you again, I've kept it aside. I'll show you when I have the chance next time.


He smiled and ruffled my hair, gently brushing over my hair with his warm fingertips.


Jesse: When I couldn't see you, I will look at the photo in my wallet. One is to not letting myself forget the valuable feelings, the other was to make it a punishment for leaving you without a proper goodbye.


You: A punishment...


Jesse: As for now...


You: Now?


My gaze fell onto his lips, anticipating what he'll be saying next, but he dragged the ending of the sentence for a long while, and approached me mysteriously. He is getting closer and closer, to such an extent where I could see the neat lines of his lips. I nervously held my breath, he suddenly returned to his original position and naughtily shrugged his shoulders at me.


Jesse: Now, you're standing right before me. But to me, this is a punishment in another manner.


You: ?


I was already confused from the series of his action. Without even managing to react, his arm reached over, taking the gift Hans gave me earlier.


Jesse: Let's not talk about this. Let me make something for you.


As he speaks, Jesse pulled out his gift, opened their glass cover and fiddling with them.


You: Hm? What are you making?


Jesse: Shh... You'll find out soon.


He smiled at me, then turned his head back seriously, and took a decorative silver ribbon down. He lay down the ribbon on one of the bases very properly, as if it's a layer of the snowfield. Afterwards, he placed both elves into the container together. But because there weren't enough of space, the winged elves could only face each other, looking as if they were in an embrace.


You: So cute!


Jesse: It's one step away from completion. Can I borrow a finger from you?


You: Finger?



I subconsciously reached a finger to him, and he held onto it on the next second. He gently used my finger to draw a circle on top of the glass container, like he's casting a spell. Then, a light flow along my finger, that I leaned back in surprise. Jesse chuckled lightly, and quickly held my back. Then, the rosy light from my fingertips intertwined with the emerald rays, entering the container from the outsides of the glass. Two singular lights started shining on the top of the elves, just like an aurora!


You: This is?!


Jesse: A gift from me to you, double the luck and blessings.


You: But, how about yours?


Jesse: Isn't my goddess of luck standing right here?


He leaned to the table, and pointed on my forehead, smiling at me through the glass piece. The never-ending music by my ear, the friend that I've known since a long time ago... Through the two elves in this glass piece*, it's the most beautiful scene I've ever seen in this world.


Not just because I'm now seeing a mini aurora, also because... as long as I'm with him, anywhere could be a journey full of surprises.


*T/N: In the CG it looks like some inverted glass cup container, but in the original text, for one moment it's described as a globe, then on the next scene it's described as if it's a box, so I've settled with 'glass piece'. 


--- Ending ---



On the next day, Jesse and I boarded the plane back to our country. Outside the window, a ray of golden light pierce through the cloud layers of various thicknesses to us, making the edge of the windows to have a tint of warm yellow.


You: Just looking at the clouds like this, it feels like we're being slot between the gap of time. Don't you agree?


I turned over to look at the Jesse beside me, but he didn't budge, as if he heard nothing from me.


You: Jesse?


I waved my hand in front of him.


You: Hey, stop fooling around!


Just when I planned to reach an arm over to pat him, he suddenly pulled my wrist to him.


You: ?!


Jesse: Were you really scared?


He lowered his head with a bright smile, and returned to the usual Jesse that I know.


You: Childish.


Jesse: How could it be, I was using this scene to present the 'time gap' that you've said just now. Didn't you want the feelings of time freeze?


You: Although it's correct in terms of the feelings I wanted to portray, but...


Jesse: But?


He quietly looked at me, waiting for my answer. I got embarrassed from his stares, so I could only look away.


You: But your acting is too real...


I clenched my fist harder, lowering my head, and my voice gradually gets quieter.


Supporting himself with the armrest, he turned his body and tilted his head over, putting his ear to the side of my mouth.


Jesse (whisper): Say it, if you're saying it now, I will be the only one who could hear it.


I looked at his delicate auricle, took a deep breath, and told him the words have been on my mind--


You: The way you acted earlier, actually it did make me a little afraid. I am so worried that I will be left alone here again.


His shoulder shuddered obviously, straightened his body that leaned forward all the way back to his seat, holding my clenched fist, and slowly opened my fingertips one by one.


Jesse: It'll not happen again.


I turned my head around to him, and fell into his gentle yet firm gaze. It's a light that is more stirring than the ever-changing aurora lights.


Jesse: I swear, no matter if it's a time gap, or if it's the end of the world; no matter what situation I'm in, I will never leave you again. For those sceneries that we have missed, we will watch them again together, one by one. I promise.


I am now gently wrapped with the smile from his eyes, nodding softly in response. I think I've now seen the beginning of our next journey together.

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.