5☆ Date with Sariel - Winds of the Sunset (夕暮之风) | Light and Night Battle Pass Card 光与夜之恋

7/06/2021 10:25:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-






Disclaimer: This card relates to Japan travel, so some vocabularies are translated into Japanese. I will try to explain the words that may not be common in the notes!


If you watched Kamisama Hajimemashita, you might get some vibes from the fox references here. It's a pretty sweet card overall! I hope you enjoy reading!








In the morning when the rain has just stopped, the courtyard seemed to be deepened by few strokes of paint, becoming more and more intensely colorful. The verdant moss, the dark green pine needles, the azure bamboo forests overlapping each other, painting peaceful yet lively colors to the whole courtyard.


Two days ago, Sariel and I arrived Kyoto for a business trip. Right now, we are sitting right in the middle of a traditional Japanese room, communicating the details of a luxury custom-made costume. An elderly woman with a head full of grey hair walked out with a smile and the support of her maid.


Elderly woman: I've tried on the clothes, it fits well as usual, I really liked it.


Sariel: Glad to know they are a good fit.


Elderly woman: I originally thought you wouldn't be coming here this year, since with your current position and status, you should've been quite busy.


Sariel: I'm only trying my best to do what was entrusted to me. Furthermore, there are some details that would still require face-to-face confirmation.


Elderly woman: Thank you for your hard work. But, are you not planning to stay in Kyoto for a few more days? It's rare that you have a companion with you this round, so if you needed anything, I can make arrangements for the two of you. Consider that as my way of expressing gratitude.


You: ...!


Hearing this, I was moved. I stopped my movements of tidying the fabric, and turned towards Sariel.


Sariel: You don't have to bother yourself, we have our own arrangements.


Sariel's words are like a bucket of iced water, completely extinguished my enthusiasm. Then again, it's true that our return ticket is right on this afternoon. How would it be possible for Sariel to change the flight tickets for sightseeing purposes? 


It's a rare opportunity to visit Kyoto, what a shame... 


I tried to not look overly down, bidding farewell to the elderly woman, got up and left the room.



Sariel: The corners of your lips have bent down so much that they've reached the floor.


You: They aren't as exaggerated as you said...


I quickly raised my arms to rub on my cheeks, but I only feel more regret. How about trying to strive for a chance from Sariel? Since it's the weekend tomorrow, it might not be a big issue to change our flight now.


You: Sariel, we have yet to even tried kaiseki-ryori* throughout the days of our business trip, don't you think that it's a pity? Also besides eating, there are many places worth visiting too, places like temples, shrines, and more...


*T/N: Kaiseki-ryōri (懐石料理) is a traditional multi-course Japanese haute cuisine, usually served at high-end Japanese restaurants or ryokans


I secretly observed Sariel's expressions as I spoke. But his gaze were faint, looking rather uninterested.


Sariel: Return to the hotel first, we can discuss later.


As expected... Sariel can't be convinced this easily. I drooped my head, and my voice muffled.


You: But we are going back this afternoon...


Sariel: Who's saying that we're going back in the afternoon?


You: Eh?


I looked at Sariel in shock, but his expression is just as usual, looking at me quietly.


You: You mean... You've changed the flight tickets? We can stay a few more days in Kyoto?!



Sariel: I said earlier, "we have our own arrangements".


You: I thought your 'arrangement' means to return to Guangqi City...


Sariel: You actually are this eager to go back? Then I can change the tickets back too.


You: Don't don't don't!! Please don't change them back!!


Looking at the way Sariel pulled out his phone to change the flight tickets, I quickly held onto his arm, afraid that he'll accidentally cancel the flight tickets.



Sariel: Let go.


You: Then promise me that you won't change the flight.



Sariel (breathes out): ... I'm not changing.


Under his helpless yet cold-shouldered gaze, I let go of his arm, leaving this old mansion together. 



We placed all of our work materials back to the hotel. On the way, I quickly searched for some travel guides, and decided to visit a nearby shrine. Under my strong demands, we also changed into the yukata* we've bought while searching for fabric.


*T/N: A yukata (浴衣) is a summer Japanese kimono, worn in casual settings to summer festivals or bathhouses. It's a casual version of the kimono, and are typically made of cotton. 


In the afternoon, the scorching rays of the sun passing through the leaves, leaving only spots of lights on the ground. Setting off under the green leaves, the vermillion torii* standing on the stone steps and the towering shrine looks even more red, like the sun above, radiating light and heat.


*T/N: A torii (鳥居) is a traditional Japanese gate most commonly found at the entrance of or within a Shinto shrine.



Even so, despite the steaming heat, the visitors' passions does not seem to be shred off by even a bit. Besides us, there are many people in front of the shrine.


You: Is that the praying area? Let's have a look there!


I looked at Sariel with full of excitement, only to notice him looking up into the mountainy forest in the distance. The wind breezes by, blowing his hair, and also moving the lotus motif on his sleeves, looking like the reflection of a full moon.


You: Sariel?


I can't help myself with tugging his sleeve, and Sariel looked like he's at a loss after just returning to his senses.


You: What's wrong? What are you looking at?


Sariel: Nothing much.


You: While it is not too crowded, let's go over there to wash our hands and prepare for prayers.


He looked towards the direction my fingers have pointed and let out a slight frown.



Sariel (smiling): Why are there people that likes to get in to the crowd like you?


Although he sounded like he was in disgust, but he still walked with me to the temizuya*. The rectangular pond has many ladles placed on top. There's also a signboard that has the steps of handwashing written on it.


*T/N: Temizuya or Chouzuya (手水舎) is the place where you wash your hands before entering a Japanese shrine for prayers.


You: Ah, I know this word, it means "first"! Then... uh... left hand... wash... right hand...


I couldn't understand the entire content on the wooden sign with my limited Japanese ability that I've only studied at the very last minute. Only capable of awkwardly reading out the kanji* on it, I casted a glance to Sariel for help.


Sariel: ...... Look properly. I will only do this once.


You: Once will be enough! I promise to remember it!


He sighed, picking up the ladle, first cleaning his hands, then pouring a small scoop of water in his palm to rinse his mouth. Lastly, he straightened the ladle, allowing the waters to clean the ladle, and placed it back to its original place.


Sariel: Your turn.


I nodded, and quickly trying to recall the steps earlier from my mind.


You: Left hand, right hand, then...


I completed the first few steps successfully while mumbling, but when I was copying Sariel's moves to straighten the ladle, the waters did not flow along the ladle, but to my wrists.


You: !


Just when my sleeves were about to get wet, a pair of large hands appeared right on time, lightly pushing my sleeves up a little. I'm relieved, and my shoulders have also relaxed.


Sariel: Keep your hands flat, don't tilt them.


My relaxed body once again stiffens, because Sariel's hand moved up along with the ladle, and covered on the back of my hand. The flowing waters passed along his slender fingers, and continued to flow towards my fingertips, it's cooling.


The breath by my ears though, is scorching along with the warmth of the summer, making me feeling a little dazed.


Sariel: Why are you stunned?  Put it back quickly.


You: ... Right!


I quickly placed the ladle back to its original place. Raising an arm to stroke my earlobe, I still feel that it's a little warm.


You (blushing): That... we're going to pray next right?


Sariel: I'll pass.


You: Eh? Why?


Sariel: If it's something that I can do within my capabilities, even if I do not ask for help, it'll be realized someday. On the contrary, to those wishful thinking that you know it's impossible to realize... praying here is merely a waste of time. Moreover, I don't believe in god at all.


I stunned a little. I thought he was only thinking that there were too many people queueing up, or finding prayers to be boring, but he gave an unexpected reason. The more surprising part is, he was having such a serious expression, not looking like he was trying to dodge. What exactly have happened that made him think this way? I really wanted to ask him properly, but I didn't now how to put my thoughts into words.



Sariel: What kind of nonsense were you thinking again? It's normal to think differently, and I have no rights to take away others' beliefs. Go quickly if you want to, I'll wait for you right here.


I stunned and nodded, subconsciously walked off, but Sariel's look earlier flashed into my mind again. That pair of golden eyes looked indifferent as usual, and under that surface, there's some unknown, turbulent feeling. I kept feeling... that I can't rest assured about him. I paused my steps, turned back to Sariel's side.


You: ... I think I'm not going too.


Sariel: Are you performing some face-changing opera again? You were all excited earlier.


You: Of course not! There are too many people praying, even the gods wouldn't be able to bless you. Also I almost made a mistake even if I was only washing my hands, it's most likely that even the gods wouldn't want to realize my wishes...


Sariel (Smiling): It's rare that you have such self-awareness.


The familiar mocking expression has now returned to Sariel's face, and I surprisingly find him kind for one moment.


You: Well anyways I'm not going. Since it's still early, let's walk around somewhere else?


I tugged Sariel's sleeves, bypassing the worshipping crowd. But, if I don't pray, what can I do near the shrine? I looked around and fell into deep thoughts.



--- Choice: Where should we go to? ---


-- Choice: Do nothing --



You: I don't have anything that I wanted to do in particular, how about we have a stroll around here?


The summer rays from the sun passing through the leaves, only leaving specks of light no the ground. Cling. Clang. Just like this, Sariel and I walked under the shades of the forest on our geta*.


*T/N: Geta (下駄) are a form of traditional Japanese footwear resembling flip-flops. Though right now there are various materials, the one MC and Sariel were wearing were made of wood.


Sariel: It's rare that you have moments where you're quiet.


You: Shh... I'm trying my best to unload my mind...


Under Sariel's confused gaze, I took a deep breath, and slowly closed my eyes.


You: I suddenly think that we should always be like this. Doing nothing, thinking of nothing, this is the purest form of complete relaxation!


Sariel: You weren't even thinking that much at normal times.


You: Who said that?! I have been squeezing my brain juices out at work on a daily basis alright!


I angrily opened my eyes, seeing a faint smile on Sariel's face.


--- Choice: Calling: Drawing omikuji* ---


You: Right, how about drawing omikuji*?


T/N: Omikuji (おみくじ) are Japanese fortune-telling paper strips that can be found at shrines and temples throughout the country. Comes in various forms now too!


You: I also read from the internet that there omikuji in this shrine is very unique!


Sariel: How so?


You: I don't know too, that's why we should have a look!


Sariel blinked at me, and surprisingly did not reject it. Looks like it has also gotten his curiosity.


I quickly tugged him towards the right side of the shrine, there is a counter for omikuji. From afar, I saw many tourists around the counter, each of them are holding a tiny, snow-white thing.


You: Is that... a fox doll?


I only then manage to notice that the vermillion racks are full of fox dolls with various expressions, and at the bottom of the dolls has a hidden note.


You: No wonder everyone said that the omikuji here is unique, so this is how it is.


I bent down, raising an arm to poke a fierce-looking fox.


You: Sariel look! This is something exactly made for you! How about you take this one?


Sariel: ... I'll pick my own.


He held onto his sleeves, and walked towards the rack a little far away. I too, simply squatted down, and picking a fox that I like with all seriousness. 


You: Hm... Can't believe that I ended up still finding this the most pleasant to my eyes after looking around.


After hesitating for a while, I still picked up the fox that has its eyes squinted into only a line, with high brows that looks angry. I also heard from other tourists that if the omikuji is good, you can bring them home, but if they are Kyou or Daikyou* you'll need to leave the omikuji and the doll back.


*T/N: Kyou (凶) or Daikyou (大凶) on omikuji means 'bad luck' and 'very bad luck' so you would want to leave the bad luck with the shrine instead of bringing them back. On the contrary, Kichi or Daikichi means 'good' and 'very good' so it's fine to bring the good luck home!


You: Hope I can draw a good one... I wonder if Sariel's done picking?


I looked towards the rack opposite of me, ready to ask him.


[Press the button to call him]


Update: Depending on the way you call him (in Mandarin), he will respond differently!



[Say nothing to your mic/ gibberish]


There are too many tourists nearby, Sariel didn't even hear me. I can only quietly open my omikuji, bringing the doll and walk towards him.


Sariel: Are you done picking?


You: Yeah, it's a kichi!


I held up the omikuji to him, he only nodded without saying anything else.



[If you call him by his full name 'Qi Sili' (齐司礼)]


Sariel walked past the crowd towards me, holding a tiny fox that is napping in his palms.


You: This is also really cute... Let's open it up and look at our fortune slips?


I impatiently pulled out the fortune slip from the bottom of the fox, and my eyes brightened at the moment when I saw my fortune slip.


It's a kichi! That's great! What's yours, Sariel?


Sariel: No words.


You: Eh?


I looked at the fortune slip on Sariel's palm in confusion, unlike mine that is full of words, his fortune slip is plain white.


You: M-maybe the staff made a mistake... Maybe you can pick one more?


Sariel: No need, you can have it.


He stuffed the fox doll to me, then simply shoved the fortune slip into his pocket.


I looked at the foxes sitting shoulder to shoulder on my palms, then looked at Sariel figure as he turned his back and leave, I followed behind him with complicated feelings.



[If you call him by a nickname: I used 'Hubby' (老公)]


Hearing my voice, Sariel's figure seemed to have paused for a moment.


He places the tiny fox on his hand back to its original spot, turned over and looked at me. It seems like his earlobes are still a little red.


Sariel: What are you simply calling, are you done choosing?


You: Mhm... Why did you place that back? Do you not want to pull your fortune?


He shook his head, raising an arm and pointed the fox doll in my hand.


Sariel: It's enough to have one of these things.


You: Then what happens if I pulled a 'kyo'? Then I'll have to leave the doll and the fortune slip here, no?


Sariel: I've never seen someone jinxing themselves like this.


You: It's just an assumption! Let me have a look... That's great! It's a kichi!


I held up the fortune slip with full of excitement. Sariel threw a glance towards toe fortune slip, and suddenly a a faint smile appeared from the corner of his lips.


You: What are you smiling at? Is there a funny content written on it?


Sariel: "Fortune favors fools". That's what it says about you.


My brows knitted into a frown as I widened my eyes to look at the fortune slip in my hands, but no matter how I read it, I couldn't understand the densely-packed Japanese written on it. 


You (pouting): ... Is that even real? Don't lie to me.


Sariel did not say a thing, only raiding an eyebrow, turned around and kept walking forward.


--- Choice: Listening: To board on a boat ---



Sariel and I walked to the outer circles of the shrine. Not far away, a river appears before our eyes, and there are some small wooden boats.


You: That's the one!


Sariel lightly frowned and scoffed.


Sariel: Riding on a boat in a temple... you're very good at picking activities. Would you be hiking by the beach, or dining in a zoo next time?


Mimicking him, I scoffed too.


You: It's exactly how uncommon it is that makes it special!


Sariel seemed like he was about to say something, so I quickly tugged his sleeves and pushed him onto the boat before he expressed his outright disapproval.


[A voice clip will play here]



Ugh...


What's the rush? The boat can't run away.


Always panicking, if it happens to- *quietly gasps*


Give me your hand.


Alright, don't move around. I won't let you fall down.


*scoffs* You've finally started to be afraid? Your reflexes are as terrible as usual.


*water sounds*


... Hmm?


*squirrel noises*


I saw that. It's just a squirrel. 


How am I supposed to know what it's doing? If you wanted to know, go ask yourself.


Since you know that you can't understand them, then why asking me?


*sigh* ... Foxes and squirrels have no relationships at all, please do not start linking unrelatable things together.


Close my eyes? What are you planning to do again?


I'll listen to you just this once.


You--


*squeaking sounds* 


*startled* I told you not to move around...


Be quiet... I'll let go later...


*breathing sounds* ......


The air is not bad indeed, very quiet too.


Well it's alright, better than squeezing in the crowd elsewhere.


If someone could stop chirping like a bird, I'll be even more satisfied.


Hm?


Other than cooling, I don't feel anything else.


The rarest thing in summer is coolness? *scoffs* You're too easily satisfied.


My opinion on summer?


Nothing too particular, every day is about the same.


But being just like this, is pretty good too.



--- Choice: Heartthrob: Buying souvenirs from the shopping street ---


You: It seems like there's a shopping street there, let's buy some souvenirs.



There's a forest path behind the shrine, with many little shops opening along the road, attracting many tourists with the assortment of goods. I walked towards a stall, finding that besides talismans for disaster eliminations and blessings, the other goods are also printed with a fox motif, or made into the shape of foxes. I took a round fan that has a small red and white fox drawn on it, it's round, and very adorable.


You: But why making it into the form of foxes?


Sariel: Didn't you say you have looked up for travel guides? Didn't you know about this?


You: It's exactly because I've looked up for travel guides that I find it strange, this shrine isn't worshipping foxes.


Sariel: Foxes are the messengers of the gods.


Sariel paused, his gaze fell onto a stone statue. Only then, I realized that the statue is a fox too.


Sariel: Most of the gods are prideful. They will not directly appear in front of humans, but to pick some animals as their messengers, conveying their intentions to the people.


You: God's messenger...


I repeated Sariel's words, and couldn't help but to squat down and looked into the stone statue in detail. It's a fox that is sitting upright, with a stone bell hanging on its neck, looking majestic yet lively. I put my hands together, and prayed towards the stone statue.


Sariel: I've never seen someone praying while squatting, and the worshipping target is a small stone statue on the roadside.


You: Not worshipping, I was only greeting it. Like this-- Hello~


I put a fox mask in front of my eyes, shaking my head as I talked to Sariel. Just when I finished my sentence, the mask on my hand is taken away. Sariel stuffed another mask into my hand, the corner of his lips seems to be smiling a little.


Sariel: You took the wrong one, this one looks more like you.


I lowered my head to look at the mask, it's a small fox that squinted its eyes with puffy cheeks.


Sariel: Not only dumb, but also laughs heartlessly.



You (pouting): When was I ever heartless, every smile of mine are sincere alright!


I crossed my arms together and pretended to be angry, then I saw the mask that I simply took. It's made into the looks of a white fox, with long eyebrows, golden angry eyes, and has two vermillion tassels on both sides. It actually looks quite similar to the angry Sariel...


You: Sariel, how about I buy this and gift it to you?


Sariel: I know what you're thinking about, if you wanted to make me angry you can just tell me.


Sariel immediately look stern, even the curvature on how he pressed his eyebrows down is exactly the same as the mask.


You: Haha... I wasn't thinking about anything, you've misunderstood. If you don't like it then I'll not buy it, we can look for other things.


Though it's a pity, but I placed the mask down and started to select other goods. The shopping street is far longer than I have imagined, and there were many shops. We walked as we shop, purchasing a lot of exquisite souvenirs. As the sun sets, many of the tourists that have finished praying too, has entered this shopping street, making the already crowded place to be even more crowded.


Sariel: Aren't you buying a little too much?


You: I can't help it, who asked these souvenirs to be made this cute...


I looked around here and there, at one moment a bright colored talisman attracted me, and at another moment I started to play with a funny-looking daruma doll. 


Suddenly, I noticed that a shop not far away has a charmingly naive doll in front of their shop. I quickly squeezed through the crowd and trot over.


You: Look at this fox toy, it's so fluffy and nice to touch!


I picked up the doll wanting to share with Sariel, but when I turned around, I froze in place.


You: Sariel?


The crowded shopping street is crowded is bustling, and has drowned the familiar white figure away. Feeling tight in my heart, I couldn't care about the crowd anymore. I quickly put the doll down and walked back to where I've walked earlier, while tiptoeing to look for him.


You: Sariel? Where are you?


The laughter of different languages, the clanging sounds of the geta, and the sounds of the noisy cicadas mixed together, covering my yelling. I think I've lost Sariel...


You: Right, phone!


I quickly pulled my phone out, but the big 'No Signal' message on the screen ahs completely blocked this method away.


You: No way...


Frustratingly putting my phone back, the anxiousness kept overflowing from my heart.


You: Let's look around in the shopping street, he's probably looking for me, he won't go far...


I kept consoling myself and started walking again to start looking for him seriously. Unsure how long it has passed, or how far I've walked, a familiar stone statue appeared in my vision.



You: Is it the stone statue of the fox earlier?


Looking closely, it is slightly different from the stone statue earlier, this is a half-sleeping fox, quietly rolling under the torii. Noticing the continuous torii in front of my eyes, and the road that heads upwards, I noticed that I have walked towards the end of the shopping street.


Startling, I looked at the stone statue. he crowd and various languages made me to feel even more depressed.


You: What should I do... Should I wait for him at the original place, or should I go to the shrine's entrance, or just go back to the hotel?


Hesitating, I've finally decided to return to the shrine's entrance, at least it isn't that crowded there, and it isn't difficult to find over there too, also a place you will definitely pass by if you were to leave this place. Just when I have finally made a decision, a crisp sound of the bell breaks through the surrounding noise, entering my ears.


Ring ring--


I looked towards the direction of the bell's sound in confusion, and stunned.


Under the shades of the green leaves, a snow-white fox with a golden bell is sitting upright, tilting its head towards me.


You: F-fox?


Hearing my voice, the little fox actually nodded, then straightened its tail and approached me in its light steps. Then, it lifted its head to bite my hem, a pair of vertical eyes staring at me firmly.


Is it asking me not to leave?



Sariel: Foxes are messengers of the gods.


Suddenly, I remembered what Sariel said. As if it were the doings of the demons and gods, I halted my steps, looking at the small fox quietly.


You: Do you want me to stay here and wait for him?


The little fox released my hem, squinted its eyes, and nodded.


You: Sariel, would he really be able to find me?


This time, it didn't nod, only slightly curving its lips, as if it's smiling. The soughing of the winds could be heard when the wind blows. I raised my hand to tidy my hair that was blown by the wind, and suddenly my ear caught onto a different sound.


Click. Clack. Click, the sounds of hurried footstep is closing up. Heart beating vigorously, I immediately turned around. The crowded torii lining up close with each other, like an endless vermillion path. The rays from the sun poured down through the torii gates, further highlighting the unspeakable mystery and solemnity. 


On the stone steps, a person wearing a mask is passing through the crowd, continuing to get closer to me. That is a white fox mask, with long eyebrows, golden angry eyes, and has two vermillion tassels on both sides. 


That mask...?!


I widened my eyes in surprise, I couldn't help but climb up the stairs and slowly stretched out my hand-- A slender hand was quicker to take the mask off, the vermillion tassels moved in the winds along with his movements.


The good-looking chin, the beautifully shaped lips, the tall nose... All of the features that I'm familiar with, the amazing features are slowly revealing before my eyes. Finally, I could see that pair of golden eyes. Under the bright rays of the sun, those eyes look even more clear, like Liuli, also like amber.


You (blush): Sariel...



We were only separated for a short time, but it felt like we have not seen each other for a long time. I can't help but to lean forward, right into his embrace. I could feel his body turning a little stiff, but he did not push me away.


Sariel (scoffing): ...


As he sigh, what follows is his warm palm that is on my back.


Sariel: Do you know how hard it is to look for you?


After a while, I sullenly agreed.


You: I'm sorry, don't be angry...


Sariel: Which eye of yours saw me getting angry? I was only worried-


You: I'm sorry, I made you worry.


The palm holding my back lightly suddenly stiffened, an unnatural cough is heard above my head.


Sariel (blushing): Who was worried about you?



You: You're the one saying it yourself...


I looked up wonderingly, meeting his eyes that are slightly widened. We didn't say a thing, and the surroundings suddenly turned quiet. The heartbeat that I could hear is a little fast, only then I realized that our position was intimate, and I quickly let go of my arms. Sariel too moved his gaze away, his earlobe has a tint of light pink.



In order to break this subtle silence, I purposely cleared my throat loudly, trying to change the topic.


You: Right! Sariel I have something to tell you! It looks like the stone fox statue that I prayed to was actually working. There was a small fox pulling me and not letting me go just now, that's how I could manage to meet you.


I turned around to look for the white fox, but I could only see a small stone statue.


You: Weird. It was here just now...


Sariel: It wasn't any fox, and it wasn't god. It's me who found you.


You: Eh?


Before I could even respond, Sariel has softly placed the mask on my head. 


Sariel: This mask is too hot to wear.


You: Did you wear this so that I could see you right away? You didn't even want to buy earlier...


Thinking of this, my heart is feeling warm and fuzzy, I can't help myself but to raise my head to look at him. However, just when I managed to see his slightly pursed lips, the mask on my head was pulled down, covering my face.


You: Whoa, what did you do?!


Sariel: ...Don't sprout nonsense, there's another usage of this mask.


You: What usage?


Sariel: To prevent someone being overly curious, and wanting to have a look at everything for everywhere she goes. From now on, you can only look forward. 


You: I can't even see properly! You're going to laugh at me if I fall down...


I angrily raised my right hand to protest, but suddenly my wrist felt warm. I startled, and Sariel seemed to have paused for a bit. But only hesitated for a second, the hand slowly moved downwards, finally holding my hand. 


Sariel: Any more questions?


Is he going to hold my hand and lead me like this?


The continuous warmth spreads through the touching palm, making my cheeks to start getting hot too. Unable to utter a word, I can only shake my head like a rattle drum.


Sariel: If there are no problems then follow closely.


The voice by my ear shows a sign of smile, making my heart to skip a beat. The vision before me, it could only fit one person's back view. I raised another hand, wanting to take the mask off and look at Sariel's expressions now, but I could only quietly pulling the mask further downwards in the end. Because I know, at this moment, my face is probably completely red now.




---- Ending ----


Unknowingly, the sun is starting to set, the rays of sunlight is putting on a tint of orange. Sariel and I were ready to leave the shrine. Suddenly, I noticed the rack of ema* not far away from us.



*T/N: Ema (絵馬)  are small wooden plaques that are commonly seen in Japanese Shinto shrines. Worshippers write down a wish and leave them hanging in the shrine. They can come in various types of shapes.


As we walk forward, I noticed that these ema have been made into the looks of a fox. With white face, paired with red, sharp ears, looking rather unique to the shrine.


You: This ema is interestingly made!


I looked at Sariel with full of excitement, but suddenly remembered that he mentioned about not believing in God. If that's the case, he probably have no interest to write his wishes down on an ema too, right? But since it difficult to come here, I felt like I should leave something down with him. Moreover, this fox ema is so cute.


I looked at the neatly hung ema, suddenly I noticed that it isn't just words of various kinds of wishes that were written on it, some of them even had drawings on them.


An idea flashed in my mind, I quickly pointed to the ema that has a fox's face drawn on it.


You: Sariel, let's write an ema! Not really required to make a wish, we can also draw something like this, or scribble whatever that we wanted to say, or an unspeakable secret that we can't tell anyone else?


Sariel: Alright.


Not expecting him to agree so quickly, I am surprised and happy, quickly walked towards the counter that sells ema. Right now, Sariel's voice faintly came from behind.


Sariel: How about you demonstrate first, write your most "unspeakable secret" down.


You: ... I said so much of other things that we could do, why are you only hearing the last part?


I quietly mumbled, looking at Sariel with full of bitterness. He didn't answer, but it seemed like he was kind of smiling, and purchased two ema from the staff.


Sariel: Take it.


I took the ema, but suddenly I ran out of ideas, and have completely no idea on what to write.


You: I can't really be writing my secrets down.


Feeling conflicted, I can't help myself but to secretly peek towards Sariel's direction. The rays from the setting sun has tinted a faint layer of light on him, his light-colored hair flows along with the breeze, making him to look rarely soft. I can't help but to hold the pen in my hand tightly, subconsciously drawing a figure on my ema. Soft strands of hair, delicate brows, and a pair of fluffy fox ears.


You: With a colder gaze, with a curled mouth, with an expression that looks like he's high above... pfft.


Looking at the fierce face on the ema, I let out a smile with full of satisfaction. But then it feels empty on the right side of the ema, so I've decided to write something down. After thinking for a bit, I finally thought of something suitable.


You: I remembered Sariel taught me to write it this way...


I wrote down "I am very happy today" from memory. Although it was simple, but it is my truest feelings right at this moment.


You: Alright, that's it!


Sariel: What were you soliloquizing for?



Sariel heard my voice and turned over. I tried to suppress my laughter, and held up the ema in my hands.


You: I've finished drawing. How is it, isn't it cute?


Sariel startled a little, and slightly frowned.


Sariel: You--


His expression suddenly changed after sprouting a single word, a glimpse of joyful mockery appeared from his eyes.


Sariel: Not bad, your sentence construction capabilities are closing to being a kindergartener. 


Startled, I immediately realized that he was mentioning the phrase on the right, and my face immediately reddened in embarrassment.


You (flustered): Wh- Who allowed you to look at the wording?! Just look at this drawing!


Sariel didn't reply, only the corner of his lips curled a little upwards, then lowering his head and continued writing on his ema.


The more I think of it, the more embarrassing I feel. With a mentality of revenge, I popped over, wanting to see what he have wrote. Unexpectedly enough, Sariel readily showed his ema to me.


You: You're writing in Japanese too?


Sariel: Doing as the local do.


You: ... Why do I feel like you just didn't want me to understand...?


Sariel didn't deny, but raised a brow at me.


You: This word means "always", right? This is... "her"? Uhm... What's this? I showed you mine already, you should tell me too! Or did you really wrote some unspeakable secret?


Sariel: I hope you can take your rich and exaggerated imagination to--


You: to my designs, right? Alright, I could even memorize what you say now.


Sariel (sigh): ...


Sariel looked stern, I quickly squeezed out a smile and changed the topic back.


You: So how about you tell me what you've written directly, so I wouldn't keep guessing.


Sariel pushed my head that kept peeking into his ema a little away, ignoring my request, and hung both ema up.


As it's closing to the evening, even the winds are turning a little more cooling. The ema that were blown by the winds colliding with each other repeatedly, making light clanging sounds. He looked at the ema I drew on, and again as if he could see somewhere very far away through it.


Sariel: I thought you'd be writing something like "I wanted to become a senior designer".


You: I originally intended to do so... But after giving a good thought to what you've said, I feel like... maybe I too, am not a person that believes in god. Rather than putting my future to fate or gods that I couldn't see, I would rather to hold onto it with my own hands. So I have decided to write down my truest feelings right now, which is "happiness"!


I smiled towards Sariel, then noticing that he was quietly looking at me, with a focused gaze.


You: What's wrong?


Sariel: Nothing. Your happiness really is as simple as a kindergartener.


You: ...


I angrily turned my head away, and my gaze again fell onto the two ema.


You: I've said so much, do you still not want to tell me what you've wrote? This is too unfair.


Sariel stunned, after a short moment of silence, there was an inaudible sigh of helplessness in the air.


Sariel: Just a normal wish.


You: Wish? But didn't you say... that making a wish towards the gods is merely a waste of time?


Sariel: Didn't you insisted me to write something down? I'm just writing in an offhand manner, when the time comes I'll fulfill it myself. You said that too, there are nobody that could possess an authority to decide others' fate, not even gods.


Sariel spoke coldly, as if he was describing a mere truth. But there's an indistinguishable feeling, that in his tone, it lies a heavy, unspeakable secret. My heart suddenly felt uncomfortable, and I couldn't help myself but to hold onto his sleeves tightly.


You: ... I'll never make you to write on ema ever again.


Sariel startled, and let out a smile.


Sariel: There won't be a next time to begin with.


It was merely a cold sentence, but his tone was surprisingly gentle, like the night winds of summer, brushing gently to my heart.


You: Ah, but I only said ema, I'd still love to come to Kyoto with you next time. The time is limited this round, there are so many places we have yet to go.


Sariel glanced over and scoffed slightly, acting as if he wanted to leave already.


Sariel: You wish.


You: Can't I?


Sariel: It'll depend on your performance.


You: Then I'll perform well! I'll start working on the plane tomorrow!


I raised an arm and vowed, then followed his steps.


Ring ring--


A white fox appeared on the spot where the two disappeared. It lifted its head, and looked at the two ema hung together. As the night breeze brushing over, the ema that has a drawing on, is swaying lightly. And the ema by its side flipped over, his fine handwriting wrote "ずっと彼女のそばにいるように"*.


T/N: ずっと彼女のそばにいるように (Romaji: Zutto kanojo no soba ni iruyouni) means "I hope to always stay by her side".


Ring ring--


Followed by the sounds of the bells, the black writings slowly disappearing along with the winds, like a wish that will never be conveyed, and unable to come true.


-------- The End ---------


Bonus T/N: The shrine they went to is most likely referencing from Fushimi Inari Taisha. Foxes are symbolic to this shrine, and their ema too, is shaped exactly the way it's depicted in the game's graphics.  It is also famous for the torii path, though definitely not that close to a shopping street because it's uphill. There are also multiple spots to board a boat that is about 15 minutes by taxi near Fushimi Inari Taisha. Though, the most popular boat riding activity in Kyoto is actually in Arashiyama, but since Arashiyama is very far from Fushimi Inari Shrine, and it doesn't have all the torii that were described in the story as well, I'm just going to believe that the two dated in Fushimi Inari Taisha. Or maybe, it's a combination of a few places? Tencent I need answers pls

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.