Main Story Ch. 1-05 - The Turning Point of Fate (命运的拐点) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/01/2021 08:00:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-




Read Previous Chapter here





You: Oh shoot, I can't run away.


I froze on the spot, and my mind went completely blank.


??: Why aren't you talking? Am I this scary?


Suppressed my impulsive need to nod, I understood that I can't anger him right now, so I shook my head a little.


You: ... I didn't see anything just now.


??: Then why are you running away?


Comparing to my trembling voice, he sounded a whole lot more relaxed. Right on the next second, however, his tone suddenly changed. He sounded cold and commanding.


??: Turn over, let's have a talk.


Remembering very well from the movies that I've watched, where one will not have a good end if they see the true face of a villain, I shook my head again.


?? (angry tone): Do you need me to HELP you to turn over?


Followed with a light laugh, the hand released the doorknob and glided downwards slowly, slowly approaching the side of my face, so close that I could even feel the coldness from his fingers very clearly.


The air is lingering with a looming scent of black cedarwood, and I could smell danger from my instinct. Afraid of what he would be doing, I made a tough decision and turned over.


Within a close reach, the man is jokingly measuring me up. His sharp eyes exudes his rebellion. 



??: That's right.


He pulled some distance away from me, and raised the earring with the other hand right in front of my eyes.


??: Did you lose this?


I immediately shook my head like a rattle drum, then found out something was wrong. Why did he ask if I lost it? Is he testing me?


I tried to remain calm, and held onto the phone I hid behind me, searching for the emergency call button.


??: ...


Who would've thought that the man suddenly leaned down and locked my wrist. He grinned, and stared at me calmly.


??: What are you doing?


You: Nothing.


??: You suspected that I stole this, right?


You: ...


??: Then guess, what will be the consequences if you've ruined my plan?



The provocation is now self-apparent, that I get goosebumps all over my body just from his stare. But since he has already provoked me, there is nothing left for me to hide.


You: The earring is lost by someone I know, my brooch also disappeared. Before the item was lost, I saw you in the corridor!


After being silent for a couple of seconds, the man raised his chin and let me off. 


??: Give me your hand.


I don't know what he wanted to do, but I was too afraid to ask further, so I only extend an arm to him. The man placed the earring to my palm, raised a finger and pointed somewhere behind him.


??: Hold properly, and follow me.


I froze as I held the ruby earring, seeing him walking forward for a few steps, all that I could think of in my brain was to escape. The man turned back and looked at me coldly, as if he was quietly hurrying me up.


Having no choice, I could only clench on the earring and follow him to the corner of the rooftop.



There is actually a wooden box, not the kind of accessory box or an apple crate that you can see during the competition, but an old cubic box that has its inside dug, with a couple of scratches in it. The man pointed the box, and asked me to look inside.


I cautiously peeked out, and noticed that the base in the box has a layer of dried grass laid to shape like a bird's nest, and there are two purple-blueish feather. In the middle of this 'nest', it's stacked with a lot of earrings, hair clips, rings... all of the accessories that we have lost!


You: How are these here?!


I looked at him surprisingly, even forgetting my fear.


??: The thief hid them here, and I found them. Didn't you lose a brooch? Find it yourself.


Is what he said real? Or is it a lie that was made up at the last minute? Is he actually... not the thief at all?


As if he knew what I was thinking, he shrugged and walked a few steps away from me, gazing into the night skies. I stayed alert, lowered my body and quickly found my brooch, and examined it carefully.


You: That's a relief, it's not broken...


??: Found it?


You: Yeah.


The man straightened up his body that was leaning against the wall and walked towards me. The thick clouds are now gone, and the moonlight now shines on his face. A casual look, lips squeezed until a line, and a clear, defined jawline. 


An image flashed across my mind -- somebody standing on the top of the podium, taking off his helmet, and looking down at the crowd underneath. The figure in front of me is now slowly fusing with the image that An An has sent me, and my eyes widen in disbelief.



You: You are... Osborn?!


The man stunned a little, but very quickly returned to his casual expression.


You: You know me? Looks like I'm pretty popular.


... It's really him?! 


Although I have gotten a clear response, but I am even more confused. I can't put the image of a popular racer and a man that looks so sneaky on the rooftop that is holding our lost items in his hand, right in the middle of the night together. 


A string of questions kept running in my mind.


You: But even the policemen didn't search this place, how did you find it?


Osborn: There, those two feathers.


You: This is...


Osborn: Feathers of a Purplite bird*. These type of birds like to gather shiny things for their nests.


Suddenly I remembered that my accessory box had a similar feather too. Does that mean I've been misunderstanding Osborn all along? Realizing this, the awkwardness followed. I wanted to say something to relieve the atmosphere, but Osborn chuckled lightly.


----- Choice ----


The breeze gently blows across the rooftop, along with some refreshing coolness.



🌙 Night: Still staying a little skeptical

☀   Light: Believe in what he said 


[Night Choice: Still staying a little skeptical]


You: But why are you out here this late? Also how do you know that there are missing items?


Osborn: You're so timid, yet you have so much questions. Just like you, I'm here to look for something, I've lost it during rehearsal.


Osborn tilted his head, taking a bracelet out.



The surface of the nameplate has a two-headed snake motif, and some English words and numbers were engraved onto the back.


Although something still feels fishy, but since the lost items have been found, I have no need to go deeper. It's more important to focus on the competition.


[Light Choice: Believe in what he said]

Since I've now know Osborn's identity, I've decided to give him the benefit of doubt. Also, to me right now, it's more important to place my focus on the competition.


You: Alright, I believe in you. But why are you here so late at night?


Osborn: Like you, I too, am looking for something I've lost during the rehearsal.



Osborn tilted his head and took out a bracelet from his pocket. It's a silver nameplate bracelet. Osborn held it up, shaking it lightly. The surface of the nameplate has a two-headed snake motif, and some English words and numbers were engraved onto the back.


Osborn calmly looked at me, completely removing my doubts.






You: What do we do with the things we've found?


Osborn: I've lodged a police report, they should be returning them to you all after the case is wrapped up.


You: ... That's great to hear. Since the case is solved, I shall return.


I nodded to him and hurried to the exit, but the weight in my palm seemed to have reminded me of something. After giving it a few thoughts, I halted my steps and returned back to him.


Osborn: What now, can't bear to leave?


You: I'll put the brooch back together with these items, so it tallies with the police report, I'm afraid that you'll be unable to explain this later on.


I placed the brooch into the box, and as I was ready to leave, my fingertips accidentally touched the two purplish-blue feathers. An inexplicable feeling of overflowing oppression in my chest.


Suddenly, all of my senses dulled, only with my ear could hear a sudden, clear yet hoarse birdsong, sounding in grief. 


I quickly retracted my hand, senses returning my body, and everything returned to normal, as if what happened just now was just me spacing out temporarily.


You: Did you hear something?


Osborn: What sound?


Osborn looked at me in confusion, it does seem like he did not hear anything at all.


You: ... Nothing, maybe it was just me hearing voices.


With hesitation, I walked towards the door as I fall into deep thoughts of the peculiar experience, but no matter what I did, the door wouldn't open.


Along the winds, a chuckle sounded in my ears. Osborn gave the door a hard pull, and the door opened with a loud clang. Looks like the bolt was stuck.


Osborn: Looks like somebody isn't just lacking in bravery, but also in strength. You're welcome.


He is looking at me straight in the eye, a flash of mirth could be seen in his eyes.


You: I haven't even thanked you…


Osborn: Oh, then how about doing that now?


You: Thank. You. Very. Much.


The fear that I had earlier is long gone. I too, met his gaze, thanking him, word by word.


Osborn's attention had wandered elsewhere, but turned back upon hearing that and raised an eyebrow, as if he had something in his mind. However, I ignored him and dashed downstairs right away.


It was only until the girl’s figure disappeared at the edge of the stairs, that Osborn shut the door to the roof. A purple-colored bird hovers under the covers of the night sky, letting out a hoarse cry. It fluttered its wings, exuding inky black mist from its entire body, where the dark color that seemed to devour everything in sight.



Osborn: You're here just in time, saved my effort to look for you. 


He raised his arm, releasing deep blue flames from his fingertips.



Read next chapter HERE


*Crediting the term Purplite Bird to Ran, you may also refer to her translations here in her blog.

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.