Main Story Ch. 1-07 - The Turning Point of Fate (命运的拐点) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/13/2021 04:56:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 




Disclaimer: I'm not fully using 'Evan' for the entire chapter 1 due, but will switch to 'Evan' starting from Chapter 2-13 due to context reasons.



Read Previous Chapter HERE






Osborn didn't lie to me. Not long after, the policemen have returned the lost items to us.


After making the adjustments to my final piece, it's already late night when I left the venue. Because I've just returned to the country, in addition to the nervousness from the competition, I have yet to find a suitable house, and could only rent a small apartment somewhere around the area where my grandmother once had her shop. Although it's closer to the urban areas, but I am more familiar with it.



You: If granny is still here, will she be happy for me to enter the finals?


The slow breezes of the night winds flows, the sounds of the leaves and branches being brushed over, they all felt like gentle responses from the otherworld.



Suddenly, some inaudible footsteps came from behind. I turned around to find the moonlight simmering into an alley. The surroundings are silent, and there weren't anything else other than my own shadow.


You: Was it a misperception?


I hasten my steps, heading towards the subway station. However, a few seconds later, the once-inaudible steps turned louder, and this round, in rhythm and clearly heard.


I tried to slow down my steps, the sound tailing behind me too, slowed down. When I hasten my steps, it too, quickly followed suit.


Could it be that I've been followed?! All of a sudden, I am shocked that I'm now fully in cold sweat. Borrowing the reflective mirror at the corner of the alley, I could see a few men standing behind me, their fingertips are exuding some dim red light.


Oh no! But it's still quite a distance from here to the subway station, and there are only alleys around, what should I do? Report to the police? But the opposite party has more in numbers, if I suddenly call the police it'll be easy to startle them, and it is also difficult for me to ensure my own safety.


You: So much incidents happening consecutively in a single night, why am I so unlucky today?


My heart beats faster, but I dare not to stop my footsteps, nor daring to turn around. I can only try my best to keep my movements natural, and look for shops that are still operating nearby.


"Thud, thud, thud..."


The footsteps behind me is hastening more and more--


You: !!!



A pleasant sound of a windchime can now be heard, the light emanates, a coffee shop is standing in the quiet night. The night breeze blew off my bangs that were wet from my sweat, I could finally hear my heart slowly calming down to my chest.


Staff: Greetings, anything you'd like to drink?



You: Hello, there are people outside follo--


??: One americano and a latte please, thank you.


A deep yet polite voice interrupted my sentence. With fear still lingering in me, I raised my head up, unknowing that there's already a young man standing by my side.


Noticing my gaze, he smiled to me gently.


Staff: Mr. Lu*, good evening. Is this lady with you?


*T/N: Evan's surname is Lu (陆).


Mr. Lu: That's right.


I looked over in confusion, as soon as I wanted to refute, that Mr. Lu put up his index finger to his lips.



Mr. Lu: Don't deny, and don't look back. The people outside are looking at you.


I startled, and immediately understood that the people he meant were the ones that were following me. So... is he helping me?


Perhaps it's because I was yet to fully recover from the shock, I do not know if I should believe this stranger in front of my eyes, so I'm trying to see if he had other intentions from his gaze. But there weren't any. The pair of eyes that were hidden behind the golden rim glasses only showed a smile that solid, and reassuring.


You: ... ... Thank you.


Mr. Lu shook his head, signaling me to sit by his side. The shop is warm and bright, with quite some customers sitting in the shop. The coffee was served quickly, I held the cup up, and had a little sip. The aroma of the latte makes you feel warm. I let out a breath, and the nervousness lingering around my chest too, is gradually calming down.



Only at this moment, I'm measuring up this person right in front of me. He's wearing a dark, single-breasted vest, with no other accessories other than his necktie, displaying simplicity and calmness that is just right. However, I kept having the feeling that it seems to still have something missing. Perhaps we can match a tie clip with it? The simplest design would be enough, as for the color...


You: It's still the most suitable to go with ash gray.



Mr. Lu: Ash gray?


Mr. Lu looked at me a little surprised, only then I realized that my occupational habit has surfaced again.


You: I'm sorry. Actually I'm a designer. I was noticing your suit earlier just now, I'm really sorry for offending you.


I gave him my name card. Mr. Lu took it over, and still kept his smile.


Mr. Lu: It's alright. The ash gray that you've mentioned is--


You: Tie clip.


Mr. Lu: So, it seems like I am still lacking a ash gray tie clip?


You: Uh, yeah... but this is only my personal opinion.


Mr. Lu: Then, what is the kind of pattern for the tie clip that you find suitable?


You: Eh?


He did not get angry from my behavior earlier, but actually started asking for my opinion sincerely. His way of speech was too enthusiastic, it gives a form of distance that was just nice, that I did not feel any awkwardness or discomfort, not for even a single bit.


You: A straight-lined one, the simplest design will suffice.



Mr. Lu: Alright, I understood now. Thank you.


You: No need to thank me, I just think it'll suit your aura a lot, Mr. Lu. Speaking of showing gratitude, I should be the one thanking you instead.


He's still smiling, but the smile seems to be a little more... understanding.


Mr. Lu: If you don't mind, you can call me Lu Chen.


*T/N: Lu Chen (陆沉) is Evan's Chinese name.


You: Sure. Mr. Lu-.. Lu Chen.


Man: Can you stop saying "thank you"?


Girl: Alright, thank you for your suggestion.


Lu Chen and I paused a little, and looked at the TV mounted onto the wall at the same time. It's a classic film, the protagonist is a lone wolf, a man of little words from the mafia. Because he was soft-hearted for a single moment, the man saved a girl that was merely an acquaintance, a mere neighbor that he has barely spoken to, and since they've lived together. Right now, the movie broadcasted is showing the scene where the man is helplessly correcting the girl's living habits.


With merely a few lines, almost every single line has a "thank you". Why does this look a little similar to both of us just now...


Lu Chen and I glanced at each other, and can't help but to laugh together.



Read next chapter HERE


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.