Main Story Ch. 3-01 - The Seawaters and The Flames (海水与火焰) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/22/2021 09:34:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Read Chapter 2's Endings Here: LIGHT END | NIGHT END


The Seawaters and The Flames (海水与火焰) 





"The flames of the sunset glow battles in your eyes, as the leaves flutter to the water surfaces of your soul."





Mao Ge: These few days are so hot that I could die. There's a new coffee shop in East Street, currently having opening promotions, come come, distribute this to everyone.


Mao Ge has yet to even place his bag down from his fieldwork, but he has already started distributing a whole bag of drinks to everyone after wiping the sweat from his forehead.


You: Thank you Mao Ge!


Mao Ge waved his hand, properly folded the packaging and threw it into the dustbin, but his gaze suddenly stopped on the door handle. His eyes suddenly widened in disbelief.



Mao Ge: When did our door handle get repaired?



Li Manman: I don't know, it's already repaired when I'm here this morning.



Hao Shuai: Sis Zheng Lin, did you urge HR to fix it?



Zheng Lin: She's the one fixing it, I saw her fiddling with it when I came here this morning.


Sis Zheng Lin took out the documents from the photocopy machine, and pointed towards my direction with her chin.


Mao Ge: So it's from this heroine, sorry I didn't recognize it*.


*T/N: The term Mao Ge used was 失敬, which originally used formally to show respect to someone that you accidentally didn't recognize their position/ social status/ heroic deeds, etc. Now it's usually used in either formal business terms or jokingly between friends, so the tone here is casual!


You: Well I was the one that broke it, also it didn't really use up a lot of time.


Mao Ge leaned over my workstation, curiously twisting the dress' sleeves  that I am fixing.


Mao Ge: You've made so much of changes again? But now you look at it, with these butterflies added it looks really lively now... It's actually braided using copper wire?


You: Yeah, I started to use chiffon, but it looks droopy and lifeless, lacking the feeling of wings flapping.


Mao Ge: Now it isn't just looking lively, even if it's under the lights it now has a romantic yet cruel feel. Not bad, not bad! With this pace, you'll definitely finish it by next Monday!


You: But the deadline is brought forward, the try-on will be tomorrow morning. So I have to finish it by today...


Mao Ge: No way!! Could it be because of the manager--


Mao Ge looked around, making sure that nobody are noticing us, and leaned closer to my ear.


Mao Ge: After the incident I've tried to ask around for some intel, according to intel, the manager has always been having terrible temper. Not just towards the staff, even to her daughter too, even the tiniest things will get her start scolding.


It's as if the unpleasant scolding on the other day has rang in my ears, those words have been stabbed into my memories like a needle.



Mao Ge: Sigh, Lin Yao is already this excellent, what else is her mother not happy about? Each time I fail the promotion assessment, my mom always make sure I don't blame myself and ensure to place my health on the first place. In the worst case scenario I'll just go home and live with her.


You: I don't know too. Probably because there are conditions to the relationships that we thought are natural.


Mao Ge stared at the table for quite a while, as if he dwelled into memories, looking a little sad.


Mao Ge: I'll help you to braid them then, consider it as my thanks for her to help us out on that day.


You: Okay.



The time quietly slips away, until the night has fallen that we've finally completed the task. The office is already emptied, even the ink-blue skies are already decorated with sporadic stars.


Mao Ge: All done!


I nodded towards him with full of gratitude and kept the dress properly. A message popped out on my phone's screen.


Housing agent: Ms. Y/N, please do not forget the agreement signing at 8pm tonight. See you.


You: !


Mao Ge: What's wrong?


You: I have an appointment with the housing agent to double check the house, if it's suitable I'll be signing the agreement.


And at this time, the screen is showing 19:29.


You: I had to go! Thank you so much, Mao Ge! Next meal's on me!


After grabbing my handbag and access card, I sprinted all the way downstairs.



I thought if I head out now I'll be just in time, but the car-booking app is showing that there are more than 80 people queueing! Looks like I have no choice, so I can only run towards the public bus station.



You: Why is it not here yet...


I walked back and forth at the station, but the bus didn't appear even after so much time has passed. Just when I got completely anxious, a black car stopped before me. The window slowly lowers down.


You: ... Evan?


Evan: Are you waiting for the bus? Are you going somewhere?


You: Yeah, I'm planning to check a property out. The place I rented previously is too far and inconvenient. 



Evan: Address?


You: Guangqi Century City.


Evan nodded lightly, glancing on his watch and got off his vehicle to walk to the passenger's seat to open the door.


Evan: Get in the car, I'll drive you there.


[Choice]




Night: Refuse

Light: Agree



[Night Choice: Refuse]


You: No need no need, it's going to trouble you too much.


Evan placed an arm over the car door and smiled at me.


Evan: This isn't any trouble at all. Also, I don't have much to do tonight, but as for you, you look like you're in a hurry.


Evan: If you aren't getting in, it wouldn't be nice if the thing is delayed.


His gaze is so sincere, that would make me to feel bad if I reject his offer. So I didn't dodge any further, and nodded.


You: Thank you.



[Light Choice: Agree]


I looked at the direction that the bus will be coming, but there are no signs of an incoming bus. If I don't get in, I'll probably be late for sure...


You: Thank you, then allow me to trouble you.





We've arrived at the community entrance at 8 sharp, and the housing agents are already waiting at the entrance.


You: I've arrived, thank you so much for today, I'll find time to treat you a meal!


Evan: Sure.


I quickly got off the vehicle, and as soon as they noticed me, both agents immediately came to greet me .


Housing Agent A: Miss you have such great insight! This property is like hot cakes, there are already more than 10 people making reservations to check the property out as soon as it's listed.


Housing Agent B: Since Miss Y/N looks like someone who has a lot of sincerity in looking for properties, so we purposely left this room booked for you until now.


Housing Agent A: If there aren't much problems let's sign the agreement tonight! So we get to avoid the problems that may be incurred by a delay.


You: I'm sorry, I still wanted to double confirm it first. Let's have a look at the property.


Both agents passionately took turns to introduce the property, and just like that, I'm walking while being pushed forward.


*Car door closing sound*


A sound of car door closing sounded from behind. I turned over to notice that Evan didn't leave, but came down from his car.


You: ?



Evan: I'll accompany you.


The agent talks about the property's merits endlessly.



Agent A: -- Just like this. If you sign the agreement today, we can even request the property owner to get some promotions...


You: Alright, then I--


Evan: I'm sorry, we'd like to think about it a little more, could you recommend a few more properties? Thank you for your hard work.


I looked at Evan in confusion, but he only shook his head to me. So I too, calmed myself down and rejected their request to immediately sign the agreement.



After returning to the parking lot, it's already late night. The streetlights that are well-placed by the riverside are now projecting yellow lights one by one, even the air now smells like the refreshing woods and grasses.


You: Is there something wrong with the property just now?



Evan: I think you wouldn't be willing to live in a house that will be full of renovation noises.


You: But I didn't hear anyone renovating just now...


As soon as I finished saying that, I immediately realized something.


You: Oh right, it's night time, so the renovators are probably off duty already... But how did you know?


Evan: Before entering the door, I noticed there are traces of paint by the neighboring doorframe. It looks like it's painted recently. Also this community is built 10 years ago, but there are some temporary protective wood being set up in the elevator. It's very likely that it's not only the neighboring house that is undergoing renovations recently.


You: I didn't even notice if you don't tell me at all...



Evan: Additionally, I briefly looked around the surroundings after entering the community, noticing that the people composition here is complicated. It is probably not too safe for you to live here alone.


You: Alright...


Evan talks about the pros and cons of the property, the beautiful lights reflected in his eyes, swaying along with his smile. His gaze is sincere and warm, making my heart to feel soft too.


You: Evan, how are you so experienced? Have you rented a house before?


But if it's with his family conditions, he probably wouldn't need to rent a house himself, right?


Under my confusion, Evan nodded.


Evan: When I was in university, I've rented properties for my company a few times.


You: Do you mean the company you have set up when you were studying in Lordton?



Evan: You knew?


You: I've heard about it before, it's a truly legendary experience!


Evan: Looks like I have to clear the rumors myself. Actually that experience was not really smooth. When I first rented an office, I too, have faced many difficulties that I've never expected. For example,  because of unreliable agents that caused a major delay in related procedures, that my office isn't ready even after my staff are ready to work; because of poor building management, that have led to a few incidents of theft; also because I didn't consider the issue of company expansion, I can only make the entire office to move like a fanfare.


You: So starting up a business is much harder than imagination, you're too great!


Just then, my phone suddenly vibrated a few times.


Agent: Whole unit, Fenglin Rd. at 199, 1 Room 1 Living.


Agent: Whole unit, Changle Apt., 1 Room 1 Living.


Agent: What do you think about these units?


It's the agent that is recommending a few more properties to me.



You: This is too much...


Evan: If you do not mind, you can forward them to me, I'll pick with you. Although I'm not very proficient in this, but it wouldn't go wrong if there is one more person looking at it.


You: Thank you, Evan.


The night breeze grazes over, gently blowing the strands of hair on Evan's forehead.



Evan: We just keep talking that I forgot it's already past 9pm. Are you hungry? What do you want to eat?


You: I said that I wanted to treat you a meal, how about doing that now? Is there something you want to eat?


Evan: Just pick something you wanted to eat, I'm fine with anything.


You: That can't do, this question today must be solved by you!


Evan: Alright then. If it's possible, I hope it's something slightly cooling.


You: Hm... slightly cooling...


I looked around, gazing past various signboards of tea lounges, food stalls, fast food restaurants one by one, and stopped at an antique sign board not far away from us.


You: I know! Wait for me a little.



You: Auntie, I'd like to have two servings of red bean shaved ice, and also two servings of fruit soup.


The small shop is crowded with many customers, the owner lady is stirring the red beans that is now cooked sodden, that the air is now full of glutinous, sweet scent. Because she's the only person that is cooking, the red bean shaved ice's supplies can't catch up with the demands. Since the queue was long, it have taken me quite a while until it's my turn. Just when I was happily receiving my shaved ice, the crackling sound could be heard from behind.



The violent showers came quickly, the heavy raindrops are hitting on the eaves are like silver strands of metal wires, trapping me under the narrow eaves. I could only hold both cups of shaved ice between my wrist and chest, freeing a hand to send a message to Evan.


But before I could even pull my phone out, a figure has already blocked right in front of me. He kept the umbrella. 


You: I was about to send you a message, why are you here?


Evan stayed quiet, only smiling lightly, then took a shaved ice and quietly stood by my side.


Evan: The rain will probably stop soon, let's wait together.


You: ... Okay.


The curtains of rain has divided a small space, the puddles that are reflecting the neon lights now ripple with the summer night breezes, even bringing our moods to a gentle peace.



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.