Main Story Ch. 2-24 (NIGHT END) - The Time in Between (时间针脚) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/20/2021 05:00:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Read LIGHT END here



From previous part... (read here)


I tried looking around, but there was no trace of him. If it weren't for the collapse setups, I would think that I was seeing things on my own.


You: Oh no! The setting!



A few staff quickly ran over, and everyone gasped as soon as they see the mess in front of them.


You: I'm sorry!


Staff A: It's alright, it wasn't your fault.


Staff B: Right, if we want to blame it on someone we had to blame it on the person that ruined this and ran away. This is too unethical!


Staff A: Let's not talk about this, this fresh flower set is needed for Lin Yao's shoot tomorrow, let's distribute our tasks and tidy up quickly.


It's for Lin Yao...


I kept wanting to do something for her. 


I grabbed onto the paper bag in my arms, and volunteered to stay behind to help everyone out. As the night colors deepen, the task on everyone's hands are closing to an end. A colleague let out a big yawn, and the sounds of contagious yawning could be heard from everyone.


It appears that everyone has been busy for many nights for this shooting, so they should all be exhausted by now.


You: Only some recoloring are needed for the background screen is needed, just let me do it. You guys can go back to rest first?


Staff A: That's too kind of you.


You: It's ok, aren't you all going to rush here for the shoot tomorrow? Hurry up and go back to have some sleep. 


Staff B: Then we'll be leaving first, thank you so much, the meal is on me next time!


The top light that is far from me is a little dim, making my shadow to look thin and long. I'm now the only person left in the wide venue.


I raised my head to look at the tall screen, there's only the one last patch on the top right corner that needs recoloring. I tiptoed and stretched my arm, but the brush in my hand can't reach there no matter what I do.


You: Just a little more, it's better to find a chair...


??: Do you need my help?


What came into my eyes, is a pair of narrow, yet gentle eyes.


You: President Lu? Why are you here?



Evan: I just came out from the studio next door, noticing that the lights here are still on, so I came here to have a look. Who would've thought that I would see you here.


You: Next door? The shooting for group B? President Lu you're really doing everything by yourself.


Evan's gaze fell onto the brush in my hand, then took off his blazer, and tugged his sleeves upwards. He smiled slightly, and reached his palm towards me, hinting me to pass him the brush through his gaze. I was about to decline his kind act--



Evan: Allow me. 


Evan: But, can you guide me later? It's my first time doing works like these, I'm worried that I'll make a mistake.


He smiled and looked at me, not giving me a chance to refuse. He helped me again, yet he didn't allow me to feel embarrassed, just like the night we first met.


You: Sure, I'll hold the blazer for you.


Evan: I appreciate that.


I nodded, and held his blazer into my arms, pointing towards the corner of the screen.


You: Brushing is needed on that side.



Evan answered in acknowledgement, and looked towards the direction my finger was pointing to. The raised arm has a smooth and powerful line, and the white brush brushes across the scratched screen, covering it with new colors. Bit by bit, the area that lost its colors started to look smooth again.


Evan: Is it alright like this?


Evan turned over, in a rare restrained smile appeared in his smile.


You: Yeah, it's exceptionally good.


He said that it's his first time doing this, but not even a while later it's already looking decent. The clear moonlight shines from the outsides of the window, brightening the serious expressions of Evan, projecting his long shadows onto the wall.


Unsure of the reason, but I suddenly remembered the shadow rabbit in the elevator, and started to burst out laughing.



Evan: What are you laughing about?


Evan has already finished coloring at an unknown time. He looked at the smudges of the blue oil paint near his wrist, and shook his head helplessly.


Evan: Did you see my clothes being stained by the paints, and planning to not tell me a thing about it?


The man that is calm and composed on the stage; the man looks distant, is now showing a child-like smile on his face.


You: I don't think this can be washed off...



Evan: It's fine, it'll become a very special memory.


You: Is it because it's your first time repainting something?


Evan: Because you didn't seem to be angry at me. I'm sorry, I didn't tell you beforehand.


You: ... Eh?


For one moment I didn't understand what Evan meant, until I met his apologetic eyes, that I've finally came to a realization. He probably meant the incident where he was hiding his identity.


I shook my head.


You: It's alright, I know you aren't doing that on purpose.


Evan: You know?


You: Since there's a handover ceremony on that day, I will know in the end. There's no special meaning to hide from me anyways.



Evan: If it's possible, I would still hope that you can address me like how you did.


Evan sat by my side, smiled as he looked at me, and he kept staring that my cheeks are starting to get a little hot.


You: Yeah. Thank you very much for today, Evan.


The night breeze brushes over, bringing some coolness.


Evan: If I didn't remember wrongly, this isn't under your job scope isn't it?


You: Yeah...


I nodded, unsure if I should tell him about Lin Yao.


Evan: If there's something that is difficult for you to tell me, you don't have to do so.


You: I was only thinking, could everyone that we're seeing have the possibility to actually show a side that isn't their true selves?


Evan looked forward, his gaze is just like the moonlight right now, gentle but cold.



Evan: To put up a performance in life is like how shadows are attached to people, it's a part that we can't avoid.


You: Are everyone putting up a performance?


Evan: Everyone are.


You: Why?


Evan: Because they are afraid to be misunderstood, to be taken lightly, or to be forgotten.


You: Then what if they're forced to do so? What I mean is to live under others' wills. 


Evan: Did the person retaliate?


You: I think so, probably, but it's just that the person isn't lucky enough to succeed.


Evan: So you are worrying for that person?


You: Yeah...



Evan: One is required to have self-awareness in order to free themselves from their tragedy. That person has already achieved this point. Since there are too many people that didn't realize, or has already gotten used to the tragedy since a long time ago. That, would be a true tragedy.


The empty room made Evan's voice to echo faintly, sounding as if it's a prophecy. The winds outside the window starts blowing more violently, the sounds of the brushing leaves is now gradually louder, as if it's cultivating a rain that will come soon.


[Dark Alley]



In an alley not far away, the streetlights that exudes a pale white light suddenly got extinguished. A figure frantically lowered his hat fell into the alley, frightening the birds resting on the trees. His steps never stopped, and instead he quickly scurried into the darkness.


Stepping onto the mottled moonlight, the man that was chasing behind him picked up an orange butterfly among the fallen leaves. The air had a faint smell of blood. The blue flames brightened his sharp eyes.



Chapter 3 Starts Here...

Alternatively, Read Light End Here...

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.