Main Story Ch. 2-21 - The Time in Between (时间针脚) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/20/2021 02:18:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

On previous part... (read here)


Hearing Lin Yao's words, the manager gave her a complicated look for quite a while, as if she wanted to say something, but held back because we we are here, and finally nodded unwillingly.


Manager: Alright, then I'll go ask about the photographer, quickly change the dress out.


Mao Ge gave me a glance, and left with her.



"Click!"


The room's door is now shut, leaving only Lin Yao and me in the room. I smiled to Lin Yao with full of gratitude, but noticed that she closed her eyes and trembled in fear when the manager has left, looking very afraid. Could it be that she's afraid of her mother?



Lin Yao: I'm sorry, it must have been tough on you just now.


You: It's okay, don't mind it.


I helped Lin Yao to change her dress while thinking on how I can modify the dress. Against the black fabric, the scars on Lin Yao's skin is seemingly more obvious. Perhaps I was looking too much in detail, I slowly realize that the scars are a little weird. They are regular and dense, that they do not look like they were caused by accident, but more of man-made scars. I was scared by this thought. What was I thinking? She's a female celebrity with a bright future, how could there be man-made scars?


After packing the dress, I was prepared to take out the past photos to continue looking for some inspiration, but to see Lin Yao lying on the table, slowly and seriously folding a notice paper. She's like... a robot that is programmed to fold papers, folding very slowly, step by step.


You: This is?



Lin Yao: Paper butterfly.


She placed the folded paper butterfly on the table, staring at it without moving at all.


Even after some time, we have not been talking. The doubts in my heart started to grow, are celebrities this different when they are on the screens and behind the scenes? The girl in front of me is like a completely different person compared to the Lin Yao that smiles sweetly.


You: Do you like butterflies a lot?



Lin Yao: ... You can say so.


You: If I made the lace into the patterns of the swallowtail butterfly, then wrap it around the wrist and the hem, what do you think?


Lin Yao turned her head over, blankly looking at me.


You: I'm thinking, your character is like a swallowtail butterfly, beautiful and unique. Freedom to her is just like the flames, that she can care about nothing else and go for it. Also, swallowtail butterflies also mean change, anticipation and courage. No matter if it's the movie or the dress, they are a form of change.


When she heard me talking about change and anticipation, Lin Yao's eyes seemed to have something flashed by.


Lin Yao: Alright.


You: Alright! I'll design a bit.


Suddenly, my phone rang. It's a message from An An.



An An's Message: Quickly look at the short video of my idol! Do you know? I'm actually going to interview their race team next week! I was thinking of watching it after going back, but I accidentally tapped on it, and an excited sound of cheering came out. In the video, Osborn took off his helmet, nodding to acknowledge the crowd's presence, smiling in high spirits.


Lin Yao: ... Do you like racing cars?


You: Yeah, but I don't have a deep understanding in it.


Lin Yao: Racing cars... is full of freedom.


The corners of Lin Yao's lips moved slightly, making me a little puzzled.


You: Do you like racing cars?


Lin Yao: I have a friend that I know him long ago, he has been wanting to be a racer since he's a kid.


You: Did he succeed?


Lin Yao shook her head, looking past me, towards the sky outside the window that has yet to fully darken.



Lin Yao: He disappeared for a long period of time, so long that I thought he will never appear again. But luckily... he's back now.


Her voice is very soft, that I'm unsure if she was talking to me or to herself.


A tiny clicking sound broke the silence at this moment. I followed the sound to find many paper butterflies on the windowsill, they are all in different colors, but all of them looked like they are about to set flight. 


Not far away, a blurry figure is standing in the night. Lin Yao looked at the butterfly wings under the moonlight that are trembling under the night breeze, her eyes brightened up. Although I have not known her for long, but this is my first time seeing her with an expression, just like a shell suddenly having its outer shell pried open, exuding the brightness of a pearl.


My instincts are telling me, that the person is waiting for her, and she desperately wanted to go out.


You: Is that your friend?


Lin Yao nodded, still fixing her sight on him.


Lin Yao: I wanted to go out and see him, but my mother's side... Can you help me a little?


I looked at her, completely puzzled. It's just to see someone, why would her mother not allow it? Could it be a rumored boyfriend? But there weren't any news about it.


You: How would you like me to help you?


Lin Yao: Make some noise, let me feel that we are still discussing about the dress.


You: Alright, but your mother will probably be back soon, so--


Lin Yao: I will not trouble you, I will come back after taking only a look, it'll be quick.


I hesitated for a moment, then took off my jacket and handed it to her.


You: Here! Wear it, it'll be troublesome if you are caught in the cameras.


She stunned, and smiled brilliantly to me, her eyes even sparkled for a moment.


Lin Yao: Thank you.


The lounge is just nicely located on the ground floor, so Lin Yao opened the windows and leaped out. Looking at her going far, I started to walk in circles around the room, raising my voice to talk to myself. The image of Lin Yao's looks before she leaped off the window couldn't be erased from my mind. It's as if, that, is the actual look of Lin Yao that I have imagined.


When Lin Yao is back, some leaves are stuck on her hair, but she did not mind at all, and her face is full of joy and nostalgia. In her hand, she's holding onto an orange paper butterfly very tightly, her gaze glued onto it. I helped her to take the leaves off her hair.


You: Then I'll be taking my leave, I hope you'll win the prize.


Lin Yao moved her lips, as if she was about to say something, but ending up only to put up a quick smile.


You: ... Thank you for making the dress, I really like it, I mean it.



I smiled towards her, and as soon as I opened the door, the manager has already stood before the door. I nodded to her in acknowledgement and quickly left.


You: Oh no, I forgot to make an appointment with Lin Yao for the next try-on!


Just when I returned to the entrance, I could hear the sharp voice from Lin Yao's mother coming from the lounge.



Manager: What are you trying to do, talking against me in front of outsiders like that earlier? Have your wings fully grown just because you've been nominated?


You: Why is her mother so fierce to her?


Manager: I provided you food, supported your studies and living, spending so much of money for you to be a celebrity, what an ungrateful person. If it weren't because I adopted you back then, how would you have such a triumphant life? Yaoyao, you have been so obedient since you were a child till now, mommy has only you left...


From the burst of anger, till the hatred because of her disappointment on Lin Yao for not turning out as who she's expected, and even until the emotional blackmailing as a family member, Lin Yao did not respond a single word at all.


This secret that I've accidentally discovered all of a sudden has made me froze for quite a while. Who would've thought that there is such a scene behind the perfect life that everyone has been envious of?


Until I was brought back into senses by the sounds of brushing leaves, I raised my head to realize that the night sky has now fully darkened.


The shooting team has already went off work, only a few staff are still around there.


You: Let's go home first...


The only thing that I could do for Lin Yao right now, is to make the dress properly.



Under the moonlight, a security walked out from the lounge Lin Yao was resting in. The figure looks a little familiar. On the side of his pocket, there's a orange thing that is showing, almost the same color as the paper butterfly in Lin Yao's hand.


After he noticed that I was staring at him, the man quickly lowered his hat, turned over and left quickly.


"Bang"! He collided into the settings paced in front, and the set has collapsed!


Looking at the mess laying around the floor, I quickly ran over.


You: Are you injured?


I poked off the staggered brackets and props, only to realize that the security has already disappeared. I tried looking around, but there was no trace of him. If it weren't for the collapse setups, I would think that I was seeing things on my own.


You: Oh no! The setting!


Read the Light Ending Here

Night Ending in progress...

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.