Main Story Ch. 2-18 - The Time in Between (时间针脚) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/20/2021 12:47:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Read Previous Part Here





For the following week, I have been working intensively to produce the dress for Lin Yao.


You: It's finally done! Next it'll be the try-on. But Lin Yao is so busy, not sure when the session will be arranged into her schedule.



Zheng Lin: You've rushed your work just in time, Lin Yao will be coming over today to have a photoshoot for the cover of Warson's flagship magazine "Neverland". You can contact her manager to ask about it.


You: Alright!


Because the schedule was tight, the dress try-on is arranged to happen after the shoot.


The magazine's shooting location is in a studio near Warson, Mao Ge has brought the dress over for me in advance. By the time I've finally finished my tasks on hand and was ready to head there via a shortcut through an alley, my attention was suddenly taken away by a patch of white. That person carefully looked around, slowly kneeling down, as if he was trying to look for something.


You: ... Why is this so familiar?


As I ponder, I walked a few steps closer. Silver hair, all-white clothes, an answer instantly came to my mind. Sariel! Why is he here?!


The more surprising thing is, what's in front of him is a bunch of trashcan and abandoned building materials. Isn't Sariel a mysophobe*?! My brain instantly had a ten-thousand-word essay of "The Bitter History of the Top Designer: Scavenging".


*T/N: mysophobe - someone with an abnormal fear of filth or dirt.


I quickly shook my head, throwing the ridiculous idea out from my mind.


[Choice]



Night: Sneak away quietly

Light: Observe him curiously


[Night Choice: Sneak away quietly]


Before he notices, let's slip away quickly.


Taking light steps, I was prepared to quietly slip away from his back.



Sariel: You- Why are you here?


You: !


I was found out! I can only turn around, and raised a smile towards him.


You: What a coincidence, director...


Sariel has returned to his usual arrogant look, holding into his arms and stared at me.



Sariel: It's a coincidence indeed. Why does it seem like you have never been working seriously for each time I see you, that you even look like you're having some kind of guilty conscience? 


You: It's obviously the image of you who squatted on the ground that looked more like it...



Sariel: What did you say?


You: Nothing, nothing, I'm saying that the weather today is good.


As soon as I finished my sentence, a dark cloud quietly floats over. Sariel pinched between his brows, the look of disdain is overflowing from his eyes. I could almost feel that he's going to mock me for the next second.


Sariel: Don't change the topic away, what are you actually doing here?


You: I was passing by because of work...


[Light Choice: Observe him curiously]


Logically I should have slipped away before he notices me, but I really can't stop my curiosity, since the Sariel like this is really inconceivable. Not only he looks mysterious, he's even squatting by the trashcan to look for something.



You: What is he actually looking for?


Following his gaze, I looked towards where he's looking at, but there are only a pile of yellow sands, some steel frames and two dustbins, there aren't anything else.


I retracted my gaze in confusion, but as soon as I raised my head, I immediately met Sariel's probing gaze.


You: Qi- Qi- Director Qi!


I shivered in shock, Sariel has already stood up, crossing his arms as he glances over.


Sariel: Why are you here? Even looking like you have a guilty conscience?


You: I was passing by because of work...




Sariel: Do I look like I'm easily fooled?


You: I wasn't lying, I really was passing by because of work, and I'm preparing to head to the studio over there.


I quickly pointed towards the studio over the other end of the alley, proving that I was not lying. Sariel glanced over there, then stared into my eyes for quite a while, then finally moved his gaze away.


You: Director, are you looking for something? How about I give you a hand?


Sariel: ... What did you see?


His entire body suddenly stiffed. This expression of his, is there something that he doesn't want to let me see?


You: Nothing, nothing, I didn't see anything!


Sariel: I do not need help, you can leave now.


You: Oh, then... see you again, Director.


Sariel finally let out a breath of relief after the girl's figure completely disappeared. He picked up a small tree branch, carefully wiped it, looked around his surroundings vigilantly, and squatted after ensuring that there are nobody else around.


Sariel: ......


The sunlight shines on the ground, brightened the small stain on the surface of Sariel's shoe.


He suppressed his impulse of wiping it clean, and continued to poke the pile of sand by the side. On the next second, the pile of sand shake a little, and the fallen leaves on them made a rustling sound.


Sariel frowned, and poked off the sand using the branch.


Sariel: Come out.


A fat lizard popped its head from the sands with difficulty. After seeing Sariel, its suddenly burst into tears.



Lizard: Lao Qi! You're finally here! Save me! I will not run away from the house ever again! I will no longer complain even if you're giving me a vegetarian meal from now on!


Sariel: You, shut up.


Sariel unscrewed a bottle of mineral water, placed the bottle on the ground, and took a few steps backwards.


Sariel: Clean yourself before going home, if I see a single grain of sand in my house--



Lizard: I will be made into braised lizard meat by you.


Sneering in satisfaction, Sariel took a big step and walked away.


Lizard: Hey, Lao Qi, wait for me! Who's the human girl just now? I was already fainted just now, but I actually was woken up after hearing her voice. I keep feeling that it's familiar, as if I've heard her voice before?


Sariel paused his steps, and turned back immediately.


Sariel: What did you say?


You: A-choo!


While I was on my way running towards the studio, I have been sneezing thrice in a row*, could it be that someone was talking about me behind my backs?


*T/N: In Chinese culture, there's a saying that if it's a single sneeze, someone was scolding you; two sneezes in a row means someone is missing you; and if you keep sneezing 3 times in a row, it's said that someone is talking about you behind your backs/ someone fell in love with you.



I kept thinking as I walk into the studio, I could see Mao Ge standing by the door as soon as I raised my head.


Mao Ge: Why are you only here by now? Here here!


You: Mao Ge what's wrong, it should've been still early, why are you in such a hurry?


Mao Ge: The shoot ended earlier, oh no, I should say that it's forced to stop and rescheduled to tomorrow.


You: Ah? Why is this happening?


Mao Ge: Well it's all because of Lin Yao's manager! Saying that it's not the designated photographer they have appointed, so the shoot will not proceed first, and could only wait for the photographer to rush over tomorrow to begin the shoot! You know I usually talk pretty quickly right? But I can only be stunned and couldn't even insert a single word into the conversation.


You: ...... How about Lin Yao?



Mao Ge: She stayed by the side and said nothing too, just looking that way, the mother and daughter are really of one mind.


You: Mother and daughter? The manager is Lin Yao's mother?


Mao Ge: Yeah, I think she's dotting her daughter too much, that's why she's so picky about us.


You: That shouldn't be, all reports are saying Lin Yao is a mature and approachable.


Mao Ge: I don't have a single clue at all! You should go and have a look yourself.


You: Where's Lin Yao now?


Mao Ge: She went trying the dress now. I have a bad feeling about this, the manager had a look full of disdain when she picked up the dress just now, who knows--


"Clack--!" 


The lounge's door is being pushed open violently. Mao Ge and I were shocked, a sharp, cold female voice came out from the room before we can even respond to it.


??: How can these clothes even be worn?!


Mao Ge: She's the manager.



Accompanied by the quick footsteps on high heels, a woman wearing a sleeveless dress walked towards Mao Ge, she stood with arms akimbo, looking at him.


Manager: Our Yaoyao is sincerely treating this collaboration, and even purposely delayed her flight, just to try on the dress properly. Hmph. You're brushing us off with a completely unsuitable dress? I want to see your designer.


You: ..... Hello, I am the designer this time, I'm Y/N.


The manager seemed to have only just noticed my existence. After giving me a glance, she moved her gaze away quickly.


Manager: Are you trying to fool me? For someone this young, you're merely an intern right? You can't just lie to your customers because Warson's big in the industry, right?


Mao Ge: Who said that young people has to be interns? She is our superb designer here!


Mao Ge's green veins on his forehead are starting to pop out, I quickly held him back.


You: If you have any dissatisfaction towards the outfit you can let me know. This is the purpose of try-on sessions, and I will try my best to make changes to it.


The manager looked at us coldly for a while, turned around and walked into the dressing room. Mao Ge and I have followed her into the room too.



Although I was pretending to look calm, but I am actually feeling worried on the inside, because I really have no idea on how it'll turn out when Lin Yao is wearing it.


But as soon as I see Lin Yao, I can hear the sounds of the heavy weight falling off from my chest. She stood there indifferently, on the border between the lights and shadows, her skin is so pale that as if lights could pass through them, like a night elf about to come to the water's surface under the moonlight.



Hearing the sounds, she slowly turned over, unsure if it's because her mood was bad, she showed no expression on her face.


Manager: What kind of gloomy color is this? Our Yaoyao suits pink color the most, you know? Girly pink! The length is also too short, it should go past the knee to show her innocence. These metal tassels are also too out of place, if those who don't know they might even think our girl is a bad girl. Also, Yaoyao has injured herself during a previous filming, so the scar must be covered.


Mao Ge: But you didn't mention that there was a scar?


Manager: Who would want to get injured? These are all accidents.


I looked at the scars on Yaoyao's wrists, and I can't help but to feel sorry for her.


You: I'll find a way about the scars. But the rest are designed to be closer to her character, so I didn't use an innocent style. I also wish for Ms. Lin Yao to show a different image on the red carpets.


Manager: Aren't you a designer? It's YOUR responsibility to make adjustments for us.


I did not bother to care about her, and walked straight towards Lin Yao.


You: Ms Lin Yao, are you satisfied with this dress? If you don't like it, I can scrape it and start all over again. You can tell me directly, no need to have worries at all.


Lin Yao stayed quiet, her gaze looks like she's looking at me but also seemed like she wasn't. Her lips gradually pursed into a single line, as if she's making n extremely tough decision. Just when I thought she was negating by staying quiet, she suddenly spoke.


Lin Yao: Mom, this style is pretty trendy recently, who knows if we can get a large cover feature after the breakthrough? Also did you forget that the media was asking when I could occasionally switch my style?


Hearing Lin Yao's words, the manager gave her a complicated look for quite a while, as if she wanted to say something, but held back because we we are here, and finally nodded unwillingly.


Manager: Alright, then I'll go ask about the photographer, quickly change the dress out.


Mao Ge gave me a glance, and left with her.




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.