5☆ Date with Sariel - Strawberry Planet (草莓星球) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/20/2021 09:42:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


It's an afternoon at the end of spring, where the sunshine is warm, and a bit of laziness is lightly swaying along with the spring breezes. The weather was supposed to be cooling and comfortable, yet the me right now that is currently being placed on 'trial' could only feel the cold sweat at my back from uneasiness.



I nervously stared at Sariel, not wanting to miss a single moment of change in his expression. For that long dress' design draft that is currently in his hands, I have been isolating myself for almost half a month. But no matter how I've squeezed my brain juices out, I've been only welcoming rejections on my drafts again and again.


On my way home last night, I happened to come across a promotion poster for the flower expo, and suddenly I had an idea!


After returning home, I combined the begonia's layers of petals and the pleats together into the design for the dress' hem. After my hard work for the entire night, I could finally manage to submit this version of my draft. I wonder if the results for this round will be different?


The tightened frown on Sariel have finally relaxed a little.



Sariel: This version of the design draft isn't too bad, you've finally gotten rid of the previous problem.


You: Really? So my draft has passed?


Sariel: Mm. Don't be happy this early, it barely arrived the passing line. Start working on the sample cloth next Monday.


You: This quick...?


I mumbled quietly, and my gaze turned towards the exuberant vernal scene outside of the windows. Since I'll start to be busy again from next Monday, if I don't go out and relax during the weekends, the spring will be over.


You: As art comes from life, how about we go out this weekend to feel the spring? I've been changing my drafts at the workshop recently, I can feel that the springs of my inspiration have dried out...


The accumulated exhaustion have vanished, I can't help but to make a suggestion in excitement.


Sariel: Hm?


You: I have two fruit-picking coupons for the strawberry farm in the suburbs! Although we have missed the best time due to business, but we should be able to pick some if we're going there this week.


A sigh came through the air. Sariel seemed to be feeling helpless at my ability of switching topics.



Sariel: I'm only seeing that your inspiration to eat, drink, and have fun is the one that's endless. Afternoon tomorrow, I'll pick you up.


You: All right, thank you~


The joy of having my draft passed along with my anticipation to the outing has made my good mood to last for the entire day.


But when the next day comes, the situation is a little surprising by the time Sariel and I have arrived the suburban strawberry farm. In the vast strawberry farm, there are only the staff that are walking around, and there was no sight of tourists at all.



In the empty and quiet environment, it's the complete opposite of the must-check-in spot that is lively and crowded in the SNS. I looked around feeling puzzled, did we arrive the wrong place?


Sariel squinted his narrow eyes, and raised an eyebrow at me.


Sariel: Are you sure that it's here?


Lacking confidence, I pulled out my phone to check the address, and compared it to the doorplate in the entrance.


You: That's right...



But when we entered the fruit-picking area, I instantly understood why there are nobody here. The entire strawberry farm looked like they have been completely raided, the green leaves are already wilting on the floor, with no sight of a single red fruit. Amidst the rows of deep suspending planters, only messy stolons* growing deliberately on the supporting frames.


*T/N: Stolons: Creeping horizontal plant stems or runners that take root at points along its length to form new plants.


The view before us is like a cold bucket of water, immediately extinguished my original anticipation.


What should we do next?


[Choice: The strawberries seems to have been all taken away, what do we do...]



[Choice: Do Nothing]


Staff: There are too many people visiting few days ago, the strawberries are almost gone. Only this small patch still has some, but in terms of appearance, they might not look as good.


Very quickly, the staff lead us to a spot, there are some strawberries that are already overripen. 


Staff: We're terribly sorry, although these may look ordinary, but they should be quite sweet. If it doesn't work with you, you can use them to make strawberry jam. I'll give you a set of strawberry jam manual and the tools.


You: Thank you!


Although I can't eat them right now, but remembering the fragrance of strawberry jam and its sweetness, I am immediately energized and looked towards Sariel that is lightly frowning.


You: Leave the strawberry jam making to me! After I'm done I'll give you a bottle.


Sariel: You can keep it yourself. I am not interested in things that consists of 60% to 70% of sugar 


Despite him saying so, he still bend down and picked the strawberries with me. As the deep red strawberries fill in our baskets, a fulfilling and sweet feeling is slowly overflowing in my heart.


[Choice: Calling: Call him to help me out]


Update: Depending on the way you call him (in Mandarin), he will respond differently!


I carefully looked around the planters, and actually found some strawberries left. The few round and plump strawberries are like red bells swaying with the winds, tempting me to pluck them. I tried to reach my arm towards it, tiptoeing, but I'm still a little away from them.


I sighed in frustration, and can't help myself but to turn my gaze sideways. 


How about calling Sariel, and let him help me?


[Call Sariel over for help]




[Say nothing to your mic/ gibberish]

Sariel didn't even hear me calling for him, and his long legs stride towards the other row of planters.


I coveted those plump and round strawberries, and a faint feeling of regret came to my heart. Oh well, looks like I have to give up...



[If you call him by his full name 'Qi Sili' (齐司礼)]


Sariel paused his hands' movements, turned over and looked at me.


Sariel: What's wrong?


I pointed towards the strawberries over the high spot.


You: Can you help me to pluck these strawberries? Please?


Sariel languidly walked towards my side, and skillfully plucked the few strawberries. I looked at these plump fruits joyfully, and happily made a promise.


You: Hehe, when we're back I'll treat you some strawberry shaved ice!


Sariel: Oh? Then someone has to practice her unstable culinary skills.


Sariel glanced at me with great interest as he spoke with a playful tone. My ears can't help themselves but to heat up, and I retorted out of embarrassment.


You: You shall wait and check the results later~


[If you call him by a nickname: I used 'Hubby' (老公)]


Sariel lifted his eyebrows slightly.


You: These few strawberries are too high up, can you help me to pluck them?


Sariel gave a glance towards the direction I've pointed, with some disdain exuding from his expressions.


Sariel: They are all overripe.


You: But the few strawberries looks pretty good.


Sariel then only walked towards my back casually, and plucked the few strawberries that I was eyeing on.


You: Thank you. Feels like they are really suitable to be used as decorative fruits on cakes!


Sariel: Do you plan to make a strawberry cake?


You: Mhm, I wanted to give it a try when I'm home, do you want to have a taste?


Sariel: Forget it, my taste buds are not malfunctioning yet.


You (pouting): You have a very strong prejudice towards my culinary skills!


I was angry by that blow from him, yet Sariel is happily curving the corner of his lips up.


Sariel: By then, it isn't impossible for me to give it a taste reluctantly.



[Choice: Intimacy: Take the leaves away for Sariel]


As I was looking for strawberries, I accidentally noticed Sariel's silvery-white hair has a tender green strawberry leaf, and he was not aware of it at all.


I carefully pointed the location of the leaf to him.


Sariel: Hm?


You: There's a leaf here, let me take it away for you?


Sariel leaned over slightly, gesturing me to take the leaf between the strands of his hair.


[Help Sariel to take the leaf away]





[Tap anywhere other than the piece of leaf]



[Touch on his face] Uh, you're...

[Touch on his hand] Are you crazy?

[Touch on his abdomen] Even if you wanted to mess around, you need to distinguish the occasion.

[Touch on his shoulder] Why? There are some on the shoulder too?

[Tap on his chest] Tell me directly if you can't reach it.


Sariel: Hm?


Sariel frowned as he glanced at me jumping up and down, and ending up pulled the leaf on his own.


Sariel: I really shouldn't have placed any expectations on you, you're as clumsy as usual.


You: I'm sorry...


Sariel did not say anything more, and I can't help myself but to peek at him a few times. 


He wasn't angry, right?



[Tap anywhere other than the piece of leaf]



[Touch on the leaf] Your gaze isn't bad.


I lightly pulled his smooth hair, and picked the naughty strawberry leaf away.


You: You really know how to hide well.


This green strawberry leaf has hairy sides and a small petiole, looking very complete. Besides strawberry, it doesn't seem like I've gotten any souvenir.


I carefully placed this leaf into my pocket, thinking that it's not bad to make a bookmark out of it when I'm back later.


Sariel stunned a little, looking a bit puzzled in his eyes.


Sariel: ... What kind of fetish is this?


You (blushing): I- I was trying to make it a souvenir.



He chuckled lightly, and some joy lingered with his tone.



Sariel: Do as you wish.



[Choice: Heartthrob: Keep looking]


We've came all the way here, how could we go back with empty hands?


Unwilling to give up, I picked up the basket and circled around the planters, and I could finally find a few remaining fruits.


You: Sariel, there are strawberries here!


As if I have found a treasure, I waved towards Sariel with full of excitement. He coldly glanced over, but the corner of his lips are definitely showing mockery that he has no intention to hide.


Sariel: It's already overripen, you are really not picky.


You: Well it's better than returning home with empty hands.


I muttered as I tried plucking one, but realized that it is already a little soft when touched.


Sariel: Not even worried that it'll upset your stomach after eating.


You: Yeah, these overripen strawberries can be made into jam, so this springtime memory can be kept even longer.


As soon as I finished my sentence, Sariel already chuckled in a low tone. The mocking tone that is contained in it has triggered my unwillingness in my heart.


You: Was there anything wrong in what I said?


Sariel's gaze travels past the strawberry in my hand, then looked at me.



Sariel: Every being's growth in this world should follow the nature's laws. The seed absorbs sunlight, rainwaters, soil and other environmental nutrients, then cultivated for months to finally grow into fruits for people to enjoy. The taste of the fruit is the actually a trace of the brewing of time, and the right time is the most important factor. Some people are greedy to keep time, but what's left for them was merely a cheap replacement.


I grasped onto the basket in my hand tightly, and shook my head.



You: I actually don't think so. Of course, I know that strawberries taste their best when they are fresh, so I do feel a little regret that I can't pick any. However, these overripen strawberries too, have once absorbing the nutrients seriously and grown. People too, hoped to treasure this sweetness, that they will think of such a method, to keep the sweetness for a longer period. Also it wouldn't put their previous efforts in vain, so I think it is quite good...


Facing my stubborn rebuttal, Sariel's gaze paused at my side profile as he contemplated. By the time I've aware of something, he has already turned away and left, only leaving a sentence.


Sariel: Do as you wish.


Very quickly, there are not much ripe strawberries left, and I fell back into the state of boredom. I looked around for Sariel's figure, seeing him standing in front of a row of planters, so I quietly moved behind him.


A few tiny, umbrella-like flowers are blooming on the bending vines. The leaves on the vines have too opened and looking refreshed; then, strawberries of various sizes too have popped out from the vines.



Startled as I look at these signs of life, I slowly retracted the hand that was about to start a sneak attack from his back.


Sariel actually used his ability to make these strawberries to regain life...


But, why? If he did that, doesn't it break the viewpoint that he was mentioning?


You: Sariel...


He was so shocked that his back completely stiffened, as if he didn't expect me to appear suddenly.



You: Didn't you think that all beings should follow the laws of nature? Then why are you using your ability?


Could it be because of what I said?


My gaze met with his eyes, waiting for the response from him that is having a complicated look.



Sariel: Didn't you say that the strawberries were working hard? I was only 'helping' them. This shall be considered as your overtime compensation.


Even though he has denied it, the sweet feeling is overflowing from my heart.


You: No matter what was said, I would still like to thank you, we could say that the strawberry-picking activity has ended well!



Sariel unnaturally turned his head away, his ears are now tinted with a bit of pink that is barely noticeable.


Sariel: Why are you standing there stupidly?



You: Alright, I'll pluck them now.


The plump strawberries hang between the fresh leaves, looking like happy little lanterns. As I am still pulling the stalks of the strawberries in a rusty manner, Sariel has already plucked many of them. I can't help but to be attracted by him.


He wore a set of casual clothes, the loose tailoring is not only showing that he isn't bloated, but also draws out his statuesque figure. The sleeves have been rolled up by him, revealing his well-defined arms. His slender and strong fingers dexterously cut through the vine, elegantly snapping it, and a ripe strawberry is now plucked. Since the pair of hands can create various designs with ease, naturally he wouldn't be defeated with such easy task of plucking strawberries.


Sariel: Spacing out even if you're plucking strawberries, I really have underestimated you.


Caught red-handed, my face flustered immediately, so I quickly moved my gaze away.


You (blushing): I wasn't, I was only... observing seriously.


Sariel: What are you observing at?


You (flustered): Of- Of course observing the strawberries in a strawberry farm, looking at which one is the largest and sweetest of all.


I peeked into his basket, there's already a small pile of strawberry mountain in it, so I can't help but to feel a little dissatisfied.


You (pouting): Although you've plucked many, but I can definitely pluck the sweetest one!


A sneer could be heard in the airs.



Sariel: Childish.


I unwillingly started searching among the leaves, and suddenly found some bright red strawberries, hanging high up in the planter. Among the strawberries, the largest one has a special shape. As I focused on it, it actually looks like a heart.


I tiptoed and tried to reach it, but I can't reach the strawberry at all. I can only glance towards the Sariel that is plucking strawberries by my side.


It was perhaps he has noticed my gaze, a trace of doubt slipped between his eyebrows.


Sariel: What now, is there a strawberry on my face?


You: Sariel, I wanted to pluck that strawberry.


Sariel glanced towards the direction I've pointed to.


Sariel: Shouldn't you have some self awareness on your height?


You: It's exactly because I have some self awareness on my height that I'm asking help from you.


He helplessly walked towards my back, his deep voice came from the top of my head.


Sariel: ... Which one?


The faint, elegant scent of white sandalwood entered my nose, only then I noticed that his broad chest was right behind me.


You: It's the one with a heart shape, right in the middle... It's my first time seeing a strawberry with such a complete heart shape.


Sariel quickly found the heart-shaped strawberry. He lightly pinched to snap the vein, and leaned over to place the strawberry into my basket. The dew water droplet on the strawberry reflects the afternoon sunlight. I too, have plucked a small, bright red strawberry and placed it into his basket.


You: Hehe, a return gift.



Sariel: Such a sloppy return gift, I won't accept it.


You (pouting): Then what do you want?


I can't believe that my act of kindness was rejected, so I mumbled quietly.


Sariel gave it a good thought for a moment, then finally spoke.


Sariel: Let's keep it on tabs for now.


You: Oh...



The leisure time passed quickly, the sunset is slowly dawning on us, gently tinting a layer of gold on the strawberries. Unknowingly, our baskets are now full of bright red strawberries.


We carried the heavy baskets to the basin, pouring all of the strawberries into a tray, and clean them one by one. The brightly colored strawberries are now washed by the waters, looking extraordinarily refreshing with the water droplets on them.


I picked up the heart-shaped strawberry, and looked at it seriously. After washing it, it shows an even brighter luster, like a delicate piece of agate.


You: Look, doesn't this look like a piece of craft?


Just when I was showing the strawberry to him triumphantly, a figure suddenly shrouded me from behind. I subconsciously turned around, but Sariel has already held onto my wrist. At the same time, Sariel slightly leaned down, and pulled my arm towards him. 



The silvery white strands of hair suddenly brushed over my fingertips, I suddenly feel my face heating up. I reflexively wanted to withdraw my hand, but he held it even tighter.


You: Qi...


Before I could even finish my sentence, the strawberry in my hand is already bitten away by half!



Sariel: Ordinary.


He let go of me, with a face looking a little disappointed, as if he's condemning that the strawberry isn't sweet enough.


I looked at the heart-shaped strawberry in my hand that is already half missing, and immediately feel troubled.


You (pouting): You ruined the shape! 


I quietly glared at Sariel, only to catch a glimpse of a faint tease in his eyes.


You: Why did you eat my strawberry?!


Sariel chuckled.



Sariel: Waving it before my eyes like that, isn't that for me to eat? I'll reluctantly accept this return gift.


You: Ah? Alright.


Sigh, it took so much effort to find that heart-shaped strawberry, and it's eaten away just like that, what a pity...


I quickly sighed, and still reluctant about it. Sariel, however, bent his index finger, and knocked the notice board by the basin. I read the bold rows of words on the board and mumbled.


You: Although Beni-hoppe* strawberries has strong growth and absorption capability with fragrant and sweet flavor, but it is not easy to store it. Please eat it quickly after washing them.


*T/N: Beni-hoppe is one of the strawberry species that is popular in Japan.


Sariel: No matter how good the shape of the strawberry is, it'll rot after three days. It couldn't be that your taste is so unique that you only eat strawberry jam?


You: Not at all, but for such a good-looking strawberry, at least let me take a picture or something... Forget it, since I can't take a picture of it, then I'll send it down to my stomach.


I said as I placed the strawberry into my mouth, as I was about to put it in my mouth, I suddenly remembered something that my hand's movements have paused.


This strawberry... is already bitten by Sariel!


I simply acted as if nothing had happened, and took a bite of the remaining half of the strawberry. The sweet taste immediately opened my taste buds. My mouth is full of sour-sweet juices, as I slowly swallow it, the fragrant sweetness have seeped into the depths of my heart.



You: Liar, how is that ordinary? It's obviously sweet alright.




-- Ending --



I held onto the basket of strawberries and looked back to the farm, and I actually feel reluctant to leave. If only if I could keep something as memory.


You: Sariel, let's take a photo as a souvenir!


Sariel: ...Take a photo?


I pulled out my handphone from the pocket, switched on the camera function, and shoved the phone into his hand, giving him a really big smile.


Sariel lightly frowned, but still raised the phone at me. Weird, I was the one that insisted to take a photo, but when the lenses are facing me, my mind can't into a blank. I don't know what pose to make, only scratched my head, picking up a strawberry and gave a silly smile to the camera.


Sariel placed down the phone, and massaged his temples. 



Sariel: Pose is too stiff, the smile is too silly, are you preparing to become a life-sized cardboard cut-out?


I stick out my tongue at him, the familiar mocking from him has seemed to dispel my nervousness away. An idea flashed into my mind, and I carried the basket and lifted them up, placing ti above my head.


You: Is this pose alright?


Sariel didn't comment about my pose further, only raising the phone up and pressed onto it continuously. I gradually lose my bashfulness, and generously smiled towards the camera, holding on the strawberries and making various poses.


"Click, click"


After the phone has been making tens of times of clicking sounds, that I've finally put down the basket from my hand, popped by Sariel's side to see the photos he's been taking.


You: How are the photos?



Sariel: Not great.


You: I don't believe it! Let me have a look.


I quickly flipped over the photos in the album, my smiles in each photo are very bright, the curved eyes have made the surrounding to look more lively.


You: The photos are obviously pretty well!


After looking at those photos, I felt like there's something lacking.


You: Sariel, let's take a photo together?


He raised his eyebrows in disbelief.


You: We've plucked strawberries for the entire afternoon, it'd be a pity to not having something to remember. Just one photo? Please?


I took opportunity to catch his fleeting smile, holding a strawberry between us with an arm, then turned on the selfie function with my phone with another.



You: Say cheese--


"Click--"



Just when I tapped on the button to take a photo, Sariel seemed to have tilted his head a little, and lightly curved the corner of his lips.  The lenses have captured the ruby-like strawberry, captured my completely satisfied smile, and captured the tint of helplessness shown between the laziness in his brows, and the looming curve on his lips.

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.