Main Story Ch. 2-10 - The Time in Between (时间针脚) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/19/2021 12:21:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


Read the previous part here

 


Mao Ge: Is my hoodie looking too plain? It doesn't show my qualities well.


As soon as I returned to the office, I can see Mao Ge standing right in front of the mirror, frowning as he making gestures here and there.


Zheng Lin: It's just to participate a handover ceremony, there's no need for you to dress up like a Christmas tree.


Mao Ge: Y/N! Quickly come here and give me some advice, do you think I should change into a flashier outfit?


You: I think you look fine as you are. Is there something important coming up?


Zheng Lin: It'll be the handover ceremony for our new CEO later, Mao Ge heard that the media will also be here, so he has been thinking that his outfit isn't photogenic enough.


Mao Ge: Thanks to this new President Lu, we will have at least two hours of 'slacking' time in this afternoon!


You: New CEO?


Mao Ge: You actually didn't know?! Looks like it's the time for this know-it-all of Warson to shine! According to reliable sources, this new CEO has an uncle-nephew relationship with Lu Ting. Besides him being a part of the Lu family there are no other information available, nobody even knows his full name.


You: Whoa...


Mao Ge: Look at your expression, you definitely don't know anything about the Lu family, right?


Mao Ge gets excited as he speaks and no longer cared about his outfit revamp, pulling a chair and putting up a storyteller posture.


You: I feel like you're going to tell me some drama plot from a TV drama.


Mao Ge: How can this compare with a TV drama?! From the previous chapter, the original heir of Warson is the CEO's father, which is CEO Lu Ting's elder brother. In the end, unsure of what happened, this position has been taken over by Lu Ting. In order to take over his family business, this new CEO has been keeping a low profile overseas, only to return to the country recently. A battle between the uncle and nephew could now happen at any moment, the first battle started with the CEO successfully inviting Sariel to work for Warson! It's said that in order for Sariel to return to work, the difficulty is unmatched with carrying the entire Mt. Everest to Guangqi.


You: ......


Mao Ge: Looks like this legendarily handsome, tender, and gentleman new CEO has really great abilities.


Zheng Lin: You've seen him before?


Mao Ge: Well I haven't, but everyone's been saying so.


You: Isn't the handover ceremony in the afternoon? How did everyone know?


Mao Ge: I heard that CEO has arrived the office secretly a week ago. I've heard that that a colleague has bumped into him after leaving work during midnight, and even fell due to nervousness. It's the CEO that helped her to get up, and even gave her a band-aid and painkilling spray. Ever since, rumors about him has started to spread around.


You: Going off work during midnight? That's working too hard.


Mao Ge: This lady right here, was this my main focus? It's the CEO! But speaking of overtime work, every time the CEO leaves the office everyday, the entire Guangqi city's breakfast stalls have started operating.


Manman and I both gasped together in disbelief. Mao Ge kept talking passionately, but just as when he wanted to continue talking, "ring ring ring---," sis Zheng Lin's phone have started ringing.



Zheng Ling: Hello, Zheng Lin speaking. It's in the afternoon right? Alright no problem.


Zheng Lin: Y/N, are you free now? There's a discussion meeting for Group A in the afternoon, is it alright if I leave the matter of fabric book to you?


You: Sure, no problem.



With the experience in the morning, I have already sped up my speed in picking fabric, and very quickly I have finished my task.


"Ding--"


The elevator door slowly opens, I entered the elevator as I make my final checks on the fabrics.



??: Which floor are you heading to?


You: 21st floor, thank you.


The elevator door slowly closes, stunned, I turned over with a disbelieve look. Under the lights, the pair of eyes behind golden rimmed glasses is giving me in interesting look. As our eyes met, I can clearly see the gentle smile in his eyes.


You: Lu Chen?!



Lu Chen: Long time no see.


You: Long time no see, I didn't even recognize you earlier.


Lu Chen: Then I hope by the time we meet again, you'll be able to recognize me at first glance.


I nodded in slight embarrassment.


You: Alright, I will.


Lu Chen: Congratulations to you, for joining Warson.


You: Thank you. It's such a coincidence, we are colleagues now.


Lu Chen: It's a coincidence indeed. Looks like you're really busy, are you used to it?


You: A little bit, I'm still slowly getting used to it, how about you?


Lu Chen: It'll be a little busier today, I need to prepare for the handover ceremony in the afternoon.


Who would've thought that he's the staff that handles the handover ceremony later? I was about to ask something, but suddenly, his smile paused.



"Bzzt, bzzt, bzzzzt."


Loud sounds of friction could be heart from the malfunctioning elevator, as if there are countless nails scratching on a blackboard.


Shocked, I quickly look towards the floor level display, but it's completely black!


Clang!!


The elevator shook violently, the elevator that was slowly descending suddenly sank rapidly!


[Choice]



Night: Try to save yourself

Light: Try to yell for help


[Night Choice: Try to save yourself]


Being nervous will not solve the problem, the most important thing now is to find ways of self-help! I tried to recall the first aid methods that I've read on the internet, trying to stabilize my footsteps, and step over the buttons of the elevator.


Just when I was about to reach my arm over, Lu Chen has already stood by my side, we tacitly pressed all buttons on the elevator. Then, he pressed the help button, but the expected sounds of alarms did not ring, the closed space has only clear sounds of falling. With only a short hesitation, I immediately held onto Lu Chen's hand.


Lu Chen: ......


You: Lu Chen, don't be nervous!


You: Let's lean our backs closely to the walls of the elevator, then curve our knees and tiptoe! By doing so we can ease the shock, so it'll be fine!


Lu Chen looked at me, the surprised look on his face has gradually turned into a light smile.


Lu Chen: Alright.


He cooperatively stood by my side, and held onto my hand tightly.


Lu Chen: I'll listen to you, not to be nervous.


As his sentence ends, the elevator made a loud sound again, after some violent bumps, it... actually stopped.



The black screen is now having a red digit written on it, the elevator stopped at the 11th floor.


You: Phew... That's great, are you alright?


I turned over, only to realize Lu Chen is looking at me curiously.


Lu Chen: Can I consider that you were protecting me earlier?


You: The situation just now was urgent, so I...


Our hands are still held together, the warm touch from the palm made my cheeks uncontrollably hot. I subconsciously wanted to retract my hand, only to realize I can't let go.


You: ......?


Lu Chen: It's not completely safe now, the elevator might still fall down anytime, so don't let go for now.


He's right. I nodded and struggle no more, only with my cheeks seemingly getting hotter. Lu Chen used another hand to take out his phone, lightly touching the screen.


Lu Chen: There's no phone signal.


You: Then we--


Before I could finish my sentence, the lights in the elevator suddenly flashed, the lights suddenly dimmed. Before I could comprehend what has happened again, suddenly a strong force pulled me over and held me into a tight embrace!


[Light Choice: Try to yell for help]



My brain went into complete blank for a second, suddenly, a warm and strong hand pulled me over.


Lu Chen: Let's lean our backs closely to the walls of the elevator, then curve our knees and tiptoe! By doing so we can ease the shock. Don't be nervous, try to relax your body a little.


I quickly followed suit, suddenly remembered that we can press all floor buttons to stop the elevator from crashing down. When I turned over to look at the panel, I've noticed that Lu Chen has already pressed all of the buttons. He leaned by my side, still holding onto my hand, putting on a calm and composed look.


After a series of violent bumps, the elevator made a loud sound, and only then the weightless fear disappeared from my chest.


The black screen is now having a red digit written on it, the elevator stopped at the 11th floor.


You: Phew... Thank you for earlier.


Lu Chen: You're welcome.


I let go of Lu Chen's hand and looked into the buttons.


You: The elevator has stopped, let's try to contact outside!


I pressed the help button, but the expected alarm sounds did not ring, the closed space is extremely quiet. Pulling my phone out, even the top of my screen is showing a symbol of no signal. Unable to contact the people outside completely, looks like there's only one way left.


You: Lu Chen, let's directly ask for help from the outside. If the people who passed by the elevator could hear us, they will probably find a way to rescue us. Although we might not be able to get someone, but it's better than not doing anything.


Lu Chen: You're right. How about we do this together?


You: Yeah!


Lu Chen: Can anyone hear us?


You: Anyone out there? Are there anyone outside? The elevator here is out of order!


I dare not to sap on the elevator door, and could only raise my voice to yell, but it seems like there was no response from outside. The feelings of despair spreads little by little from my heart, just as I stopped yelling and prepared to think of another method, the lights suddenly flashed, and followed by the lights dimming!


I raised my head at a loss, suddenly I could feel a strong force quickly pulling me over into a tight embrace!


Read the next part here

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.