6☆ Date with Sariel - Summer Night (夏日向晚) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/08/2021 11:53:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-






Disclaimer: This card is a little angsty. 

Let's just say that you might wanna prepare for some tissues and cry, especially the prologue and the 2nd heartthrob scene.

Cry with me if you may, and enjoy reading :'> 








Sariel is acting very weird recently. He has been staying in the office for three continuous months, not only setting the press conference for our Autumn-Winter Haute Couture 20 days earlier than planned, even bringing the press conference for the ready-to-made items together. 


Because of this, all departments are bearing extremely strong pressure, fast-tracking deadlines in order to ensure the grand show can proceed and conclude smoothly. Finally, at an almost-zero fault tolerance rate, the entire Warson became cooperative throughout the entire company, miraculously completing this seemingly impossible mission from the beginning. The company too, promised every participant a ludicrous bonus and paid leave. The solemn atmosphere completely retreated like the fallen soldiers immediately.



Mao Ge: I've been so busy for these period that I don't even know how to spell 'sleep' anymore, I must take this time to sleep for a few days!



Hao Shuai: When can you actually not sleep? It's rare to have holidays, how about going out and have fun?


Li Manman: I wanted to go out and play too, to relax the body and mind. It'll take until next spring to have such a long holiday.


Hao Shuai: I've heard that the groups next door are all planning for a trip to the seaside, let's join too! The weather now is the most suitable for it.


Mao Ge: The group next door? Is Group B going too? *


*T/N: Mao Ge has a crush on Jiang Lai from Group B.


Hao Shuai: I don't know if all of them will be going, but I know that Jiang Lai is going.


Mao Ge: How could I miss out on having fun? Let me tell you, I alone can take over 8 tour guides!


Mao Ge's sleepiness disappeared all of a sudden, opening websites and started to look for guides. The rest of us grinned as we looked at each other, deciding not to expose his cover.


Li Manman: Question, can we bring our family members?


Mao Ge: Of course! Everyone, grab your chance to invite whoever you wait alright! Great things should happen during summer!


You: Someone that I want to invite...


I closed my eyes, the first thing that came into my mind is surprisingly Sariel's face, then it's the parting scene on that night where we parted on bad terms.


It was midnight, where Group A received a commission to sort a box of clothing that required adjustments to Sariel's office. I immediately volunteered for the mission. It's not because I didn't have enough tasks on hand, but it was because Sariel has recently been giving me a kind of feeling that I cannot describe with words.


As my tutor, he no longer gives me opinions and guidance, but made me to ask other tutors. I tried asking for the reason, but he did not say a thing. Almost all messages that I've sent him, phone calls that I've dialed to him seemed to have sunk into the deep seas. He is parting away from my life, further and further.


I tried my best to not think of nonsense, convincing myself that it's because he's too busy. However, my heart can clearly feel that he is purposely keeping me away from him. Feeling worried and anxious, I really wanted to ask what happened to him. But no matter how I've given thoughts on the matter, no matter what I shouldn't be disturbing him at this moment of high tension.


But on that quiet night, the feelings of insecurity annoyingly crawled into my chest like the ants. I've decided to look for him proactively.



After knocking on the door, I've waited at the door for more than 10 minutes, but there were no response.


You: Director? I'm coming in--



Pushing the door open, the room was very quiet. Under the bright lights, I could see Sariel curling up on the sofa in deep slumbers. His body is tensed even asleep, embracing both arms in front of his chest, as if he was defending himself from something, that even his forehead has frowned into multiple lines.


I nimbly placed the paper box, and found myself a blanket to cover on his body.



Sariel: Mmph...


A document slipped off from the sofa. I noticed the design is weirdly familiar as soon as I picked it up.


You: Isn't this my design draft?!


The sides of the draft is densely packed with ideas of correction, with so much details that even the seaming method of the sleeves is labeled at the side.


You: But didn't Sariel not want to teach me, and asked me to search for other tutors' guidance?


I spaced out as I stare at the words, unsure how I should be feeling right now.


Sariel: Why are you here?


You: ...!


I don't know when Sariel has woke up, but there was a glimpse of surprise, and you could see the clearly visible red blood streaks under his eyes. I quickly flipped the document over onto the coffee table behind me, pointing towards the huge box of clothes.


You: I'm here to deliver the clothes that required amendments.


Sariel glanced into the box, then stared into my eyes before moving his gaze away.


Sariel: Alright, you can go back now.


You: Uh, Director, is there anything that I may be of help with? Rest assured, I've completed my tasks today, I could do some ad hoc work here. How about I sort the clothes here according to their problems?


Just when I wanted to hold the box, Sariel took the box over roughly.


Sariel: No need.


You: ...?


Sariel: This is my job, no interference from others is be needed.


He drooped his gaze, pulling a distance between us, his cold tone made me to feel strange.


You: I'm not interfering, I just wanted to help a little, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed or something?


Sariel: ...


Sariel: Then please tell me, what can you do?


He suddenly raised his head, and smiled mockingly, the gaze in his eyes obviously shows mockery, just like how we first met.


Sariel: Troublemaking? Buying coffee? Or cheering me? You aren't that innocent to think that you could really help me out right? I can even imagine your clumsy actions, this is not the time to give trouble. 


I stunned on the ground, not knowing what to do. I felt a burn on my cheek, as if I was slapped by an invisible palm. Even though I am used to his cynicism, but the strong feelings of rejection in the atmosphere made me unable to ignore it.


Sariel: I've said things to this extent now, do you still not understand? I'm busy. Don't disturb me anymore.


He turned his back towards me, no longer talking.


I quickly turned over and trot out from his office. If I stayed longer, I'll be so embarrassed that I'll start crying.


I just wanted to help him out, why is he so fierce all of a sudden? Can't he just speak properly?


In the end, the tears still fell.


You: Sariel, you're the idiot!


I angrily yelled into the tightly shut door, and ran off quickly.


Until he could confirm that the girl is far away, until he couldn't smell her in the air, only Sariel sat down with difficulty on the soda, his face now looks as pale as the snow.


Lizard: The medicine is here, the medicine is here!


The office door is pushed open, a small lizard is carrying a tiny bottle, climbing onto the sofa breathlessly, only feeling relieved after seeing Sariel swallowing the medicine in the bottle.



Lizard: Lao Qi*, you're too careless.


*T/N: Lao Qi (老齐) is how the lizard affectionally calls him, literally translates to Old Man Qi. Chinese seniors call their close friends with Lao (surname). 


Lizard: Now that our Spirit Race is degenerating so much, don't forget to take your medicine! You're so close to fainting. I've said this, you really don't take your body seriously anymore. Although the re is not much remaining time for us, but you can't suddenly bring forward things in the future for so many days!


Sairel: Too wordy.


Unsure if it's because of the cold temperatures from the air conditioner, even after taking the medicine, Sariel's pale look did not have much improvement.



Lizard: You look completely alike with a zombie. Lao Qi, why were you talking to her that way? I could hear it all y'know? You weren't even thinking that way. You're already this old, but you act like some primary school kid.


Sariel: How much would YOU know?


Lizard: I've watched so much of TV Dramas, of course I'd know. Didn't you just want her to leave you as far as possible? Why can't you just tell her properly instead of scolding her?


Sariel: I ask you. Do you plan to eat this medicine for the rest of your life?


Lizard: If I could live a few days longer, why not?


Sariel: I can't.


Lizard: So you chased her away? It isn't even the worst case scenario yet, and even when the day comes, you have the rights to bid farewell.


Sariel: Since we're still parting in the end, then I shouldn't provoke her. That emotional person would be troublesome to handle when she starts crying.



Lizard: Selfish thing, coward!  Are you still a man?


Sariel: I dare you to say that again?


Lizard: I can say this how many times I want, since you wouldn't be listening anyways. Fine too, rather than looking at your stinky face, I might as well as welcome a new life for myself. Stay stubborn yourself, lonely old man, don't regret it!


The lizard jumped and slapped on Sariel's head, and immediately disappeared at the entrance before Sariel could even show his temper.


Sariel knelt down and continued on his unfinished work. No matter how he adjusted, sewn or patched, the outcome of the effects clothing in his hands are far away from what he has expected. He placed the scissors down irritably, the late sense of unwillingness is slowly corroding into his heart. He didn't know the exact cause of this feeling, but this pain has kept him awake.


Sariel frowned, gently brushing on his chest with a hand, as if he wanted to catch something.


Sariel: Just now... Did I overdo it?


The only answer he received was the night winds from the outside of his windows.


After that day, Sariel and I never talked. Even if we met in the office, we did not look at each other, and only walk past each others' shoulders.


You: If I invite him now... No no, Y/N you need to have a hold on your integrity! How can you invite someone with a bad temper like that?


But perhaps he was only unable to control his temper due to the overwhelming stress? But this thought got suppressed as soon as it pops out in my head.


Can you throw tantrums just because you're stressed? If I bother about Sariel again I'll be a pig!


Mao Ge: I've made an online doc and sent it to the design center's group, everyone can fill it up~


I shook my head, trying my best to put these feelings behind me, opening the document, and quickly filled my name in.


You: I'll stop thinking of sad things if I have fun.



The sky is clear on the day of departure, I dragged my suitcase and arrived the assembly point on time. Because everyone wanted to have fun, nobody was late.


Mao Ge: Everyone be quiet, I need to take the attendance. Li Manman and family, Hao Shuai, Y/N, Jiang Lai..... last one is... Qi- DIRECTOR QI?!


You: ?!


Just at this time, a light cough came from somewhere a meter away from the crowd. Everyone let out a gasp and turned their heads around together.



Sariel stunned a little, pressing his cap lower, and awkwardly turned his gaze to somewhere far away.


Mao Ge: Alright, everyone are here, hop in!



When I have pulled my senses back, I've sprinted into the vehicle. I don't know what I was thinking, maybe I was angry when I saw him, or maybe I just didn't want to face him. I simply took out my blindfold and earphones, decided to hear no evil and see no evil. However before this plan has even started its execution, a tall figure is already standing in front of me.


Sariel: Please take the bag away.


You: ... I am car sick, so I might vomit, please find another seat, director.


Sariel: This is the last seat.


You: ?


I stood up in disbelieve to look around, noticing that other seats were all fully taken! Mao Ge didn't even know what happened, and winked at me with a face full of smug.


Mao Ge: The car I booked, not even a space wasted! Am I not great?


You: ... ...


I sighed, and could only admit defeat to move inwards. 


Only when Sariel sat down, that I found that he rarely wears a suit today, but a refreshing short-sleeved shirt. Under the afternoon sunlight, his face shows a gentle and light color that I couldn't help myself but to think of the seashells that are reflecting bits of light on the beach.


No, wait. Why am I looking at him, I said to myself not to be bothered about him.


The bus started its engines slowly, and moved towards the destination. We sat shoulder to shoulder, neither of us uttered a single word. I listen to my own songs, and he sits in repose with his eyes closed. Everything are normal, as if the unhappy incident on the other day never happened at all.



Hao Shuai: Ah, my earphones dropped, Y/N pick it up for me please!


A small earphone rolled to my feet.I bend down, and right at the moment when I picked it up, the bus suddenly brake, the inertia made my entire face to crash right into the seat in front of me. 


It hurts so much that my tears almost came out. On the next second, a pair of large hands gently held onto my head, and turned it over.


Muddled, I looked into the face that looks slightly worried and concerned that is only a little away from me, and my heart seemed to be struck by something unknown.



Sariel (gentle tone): Does it hurt? 


Sariel: Luckily you aren't sitting in the first row, otherwise you'd suffer a big time if you crash into the rails.


He examined carefully as he took a bottle of water out of his bag, covering a handkerchief over it, and stick it on my forehead. The cooling sensation spreads throughout my entire body, except that my face is getting hotter and hotter.


You (blushing): Let me go...


Sariel acted as if he heard nothing, and closed up to me, so close that I could hear his uniform sounds of breath. The pair of golden eyes are now fully concentrated and undistracted, that it can't be help for people to have the illusion where the thing that he's currently doing is the most important thing to him.


Sariel: Did you turn stupid after the collision? So silent.



You (sad look): It wasn't like this before.


Sariel: What did you say?


You: You said before, that you don't want me to give you trouble. I was careless earlier, so you don't have to trouble yourself, director.


Sariel stopped his movements of kneading massages to my forehead, staring at me, not saying a single word.


Is this his response? But what kind of response is this? The disappointment in my heart is making me to take the bottle away from his hand, but he stubbornly didn't want to let go, and retaining his original posture.


Sariel: This isn't even trouble.


You: Then what is it?


After a while, he looked away slightly, looking a little unnatural.



Sariel (flustered): ... it's an apology.


You: What did you say? I didn't hear properly.


I think I heard something, but I wasn't sure, so I could only ask again. But Sariel has kept his awkward expression away, and turned back to the past him.


Sariel: Forget it if you didn't hear it properly. I just wanted to see how boring these group activities could be, and the results are just as expected.


You: ... Huh?


Sariel: Staying in this closed vehicle for 4 to 5 hours, then meeting the beach with full of fishy smell and silt nonstop, looks like it's a hobby of yours indeed.


You: Do you dislike it that much? If you didn't want to go you can choose not to.


Sariel: I've paid the fees.


You: So you're here proactively? Sariel, please blink if you're being kidnapped.


Sariel: You're thinking too much, why would I be here proactively? Someone invited me to come, I was just unable to dissuade that person.


You: ... ...


Sariel: Or, did you not want me to come?


His tone brings some nervousness, perhaps he didn't even notice that himself.


You (blush): Since when did I think of that? If you wanted to come then it's great...


I turned my face away, mumbling quietly, but somehow I was feeling a little happier. So I secretly look towards Sariel, only to notice that the corner of his lips too have curved up a little, as if he wanted to laugh, but trying his best to hold it back.


You: Director, I'm thinking, your mood is just like the weather of the summer.


Sariel: That doesn't sound like something good.


You: Suddenly stormy, then suddenly the skies are clear, getting angry easily with little things.


Sariel: ......


You: I'm praising that your mood changes easily!



Sariel: Hmph, then I'll grab the chance to change even more.


You: ... ...


Seeing me choking, Sariel's mood seemed to turn better.


You (pouting): Who asked you to be that fierce a while ago, then suddenly turning so kind? But I am generous, so I won't be that calculative.


Sariel: So am I supposed to thank you for not being calculative with me?


I didn't answer, only looked out to the flower fields from the windows with a smile, my mood is all brightened up. The haze that shrouded me for so long has unwittingly disappeared completely, although we didn't really say or do much.


You: Sariel, I think you'll like the beach.


I turned my head over confidently, but only to find Sariel to have fallen asleep leaning on the seat. I suddenly realized that although he's in deep sleep, his body is no longer tensed, and he is no longer frowning. Under the soft, pure lights, he looks like a defenseless child now. I quietly took out my phone, and fixed my screen on this very moment.



When we reached the beachside, it's way past the hottest time of the sun. Mao Ge has quickly gotten himself busy with putting the BBQ booth, and there's also an exciting running competition not far away from us.


You: Sariel, what do you want to play?


He seemed to have yet to be fully awake, and yawned.


Sariel: Sleep.


You: ... ...



--- Choice: It's lively on the beach, where should we go? ---


--- Choice: Do nothing ---


Sariel's expression exudes deep exhaustion, and I remembered that the entire company has been restless for the big show. In a place where everyone were groaning, it'll be even more tiring for him as a director, right?


With such a rare chance to have a holiday, we should really let him rest.


Noticing that I did not say a thing, Sariel left the crowd alone, proceeding towards the resting room near the beachside to rest.







--- Choice: Intimacy: Build sandcastles ---


You: How boring it'd be if you're only coming to the beach to sleep, how about let's go there!


I dragged Sariel to a spot with the 'remains' of a sandcastle by the beachside, eagerly rubbing my palms.


You: Sariel, let's make a sandcastle using sands, make it a stronger one than this!


The corner of Sariel's lips seemed to twitch a little.


Sariel: I really can't tell that you're still having a child's innocence.


Sariel's words that were fully offensive did not dispel my eagerness to build a sandcastle, and instead have made my desires to see him building a sandcastle even stronger.


You: Director, don't you want to make the a one-and-only sandcastle too? Please don't waste your earth-shattering design talents!


Sariel: Stop complimenting me, this tactic doesn't work on me.


I simply sat down to push the original sandcastle off, looking at him with full of anticipation.


You: It's really interesting to build a sandcastle, let's try it for once?


Sariel helplessly sighed, then squatted to join me.


Sariel: Time is really hanging heavy on my hands.


His tone sounded like he was forced, but his hands proficiently made the base, and starting to make a wall. While I was looking at him with relish by the side, I didn't forget to draw some patterns and shapes on the frames he has constructed.


As the sandcastle slowly comes into shape, I suddenly had an idea to pick some shells as our mark. I quickly picked some blue shells from the beach, and when I was back, Sariel is still focused on making the sandcastle.


You: Quick, look! Aren't the shells I picked up pretty?


I was about to show the seashells that I've picked to Sariel, but noticed that his face has some sand stuck on it since who-knows-when, that the serious look on his face suddenly looks a little funny. Sariel frowned in confusion.


Sariel: Just picking a few seashells would make you this happy?


I pointed towards Sariel's cheeks, he frowned a little and subconsciously rubbed his face on his hand that is full of sand, now his face has even more sand...


Help him to wipe the sand away from his face.



[Try to wipe the sand from his face]


- Part 1: Tap anywhere other than his face -


[Tap on his hair] Did your eyes grew all the way up to the skies?

[Tap on his shoulder] Should I be thanking you for your attentive service?

[Tap on belly] Sure enough it will not end well if I join hands with an idiot. 

[Tap on his legs] You can be more obvious in your actions.



Sariel startled, and his golden eyes widened.


Sariel: You just now--


You: I wasn't careful enough...


Sariel: I think you weren't being not careful enough, but doing that on purpose right?


You (pouting): Who asked the sands to stick on your face, I can't even reach properly.


I straightforwardly looked at him, Sariel stunned, then smiled. The sunlight made his eyebrow to look gentle, even the sand on his face are sparkling. He nodded, leaned down, and looked into my eyes.


Sariel: Is this alright now?


You: Yeah!


After wiping the sand off, we continued to pick some seashells. I picked some nice-looking ones again, thinking I could use them to decorate our sandcastle.


Sariel: Then you decorate them, my part is done.


I only noticed that the sandcastle is done after Sariel's hint, and this castle in front of my eyes doesn't seem to need additional decoration, it looks perfect enough. After giving it a thought, I've decided not to decorate it, and kept the seashells as souvenirs for this outing.



- Part 2: Tap anywhere other than his face -



[Tap on his face] I'm not as thick-skinned as you are, you don't have to rub this hard.


You: Hahahaha let me help you!


I quickly placed the seashells in my hands, took out the tissue from my pocket to clean my hands, then bend down to carefully wipe the sands on Sariel's face.


Sariel purposely look away from my gaze, but didn't resist. This is probably the first time he allowed me to do whatever I wanted. Slowly, unsure if I rubbed too hard or it were for other reasons, his face is slowly having a tint of redness.


Sariel (blushinig): Is it not done yet?


You: It's done it's done!


I walked a few steps backwards , pulling off the distance between us, and Sariel took the opportunity to stand up too.


Sariel: Just put the seashells accordingly, then it'll be complete.


Hearing what he said, I placed the blue seashell on the top of the sandcastle, like a unique flag that announces the completion of its construction.


You: It's done!


Looking at the seashell sandcastle on this beach, my heart is now overflown with joy and satisfaction that I have not felt for ages.



--- Choice: Listening: To the shades under the coconut trees ---


You: How boring it'd be if you're only coming to the beach to sleep, how about let's go there!


The direction that I'm pointing to, is a beach that is far away from the activity area. The waves quietly washes up to the reef, the dazzling sunlight gave a tint of scattered gold on the sands, under the shadows of the tall coconut trees has given some coolness. The scene at this moment is soft and enchanting.


You: I can accompany you to lie down on the sands and enjoy the sunshine, then this trip will not be in vain!


I was anticipating the lazy and cozy sunbathing session, but Sariel stared at me as if I was saying something ridiculous. 


Sariel: Do you think that I have a special hobby of making my entire body to smell like silts?


You: Uh, probably not.


Sariel: Then what gives you the illusion that I would be willing to lay on the beach?


You: .....


I gulped, but I have no plans to give up this easily.


You: You don't understand the profound secrets of sunbathing, you'd find out once you gave it a try!


Facing the unwillingness look from Sariel, I shamelessly dragged and pulled him, inviting him all the way to the beach.


You: Not only you can enjoy the bay's sunlight, you will also not needing to worry too much about terrible sunburns, this is the best spot out here!


In order to show him

 the beauty of sunbathing, I even lied down under the shades of coconut trees first, and pat the 'space' beside me as an invitation.


[An audio clip will play here]


Don't think that I'll be like you, lying down on these dirty sands with an enjoying look.


... Let go, you're making my pants wrinkled.


You'll only let go if I lie down with you?


Seems like your titanium skin* has evolved to such an extent that you can now reflect the sunlight.


*T/N: He's implying that MC is super duper thick-skinned (shameless).


... Only this once, no more nexts.


The profound beauty of sunbathing, why don't I realize it yet?


The salty sea breezes, the beautiful seagulls... I can feel these from the rest area too.


As for the comfortable massage from the sands, I'd still need to clean my body entirely later.


You-... what's wrong?


Don't touch its pincers, allow me.


The pinched skin is a little red, is it painful?


Getting pinched by a crab just by laying down on a beach, with such good luck, you should probably buy lottery.


But now I'll acknowledge that your sense in picking locations aren't bad, just the same as that crab.


Don't provoke it anymore.


To declare your territory with a crab, your imagination is really weirdly rich.


You should thank it, for it to pinch you light enough that you weren't injured.


I truly admire you, you were just being attacked, and you could still continue lying here big-heartedly.


*scoffs* Crabs' attacks aren't as damaging as my words? Don't think that I didn't hear that.


Alright, judging from the fact that you've been lightly injured, I'll quietly accompany you to lie here.



-- Choice: Heartthrob (1): To the BBQ Stand --


You: How boring it'd be if you're only coming to the beach to sleep, let's go there to relax!


Dragging and tugging, I've pulled Sariel all the way to the BBQ stand. As soon as he smells the hot charcoals, Sariel's face immediately turned into a frown.


Sariel: Is this the relaxation you mentioned? I hate the smell of oily smoke.


You: I told you that Mao Ge's craft is pretty good, give it a try, director. Trust me.


I pressed Sariel onto a chair, and took a few skewers of non-spicy grilled meat for him. Under my anticipating gaze, Sariel awkwardly took them, tentatively took a bite.


You: How is it?


Sariel: Terrible.


You: Nothing more?


Sariel: If I comment one more word more it'd be a waste of my life.


You: Is it really that bad?


I doubtfully took one, but immediately spat out without even having a full bite.


You: Bah! What taste is this?!


Mao Ge: Sorry everyone, I put the wrong condiment! Hehe.


In the corner of my eyes, I think I can see Sariel's face darkening. I laughed mockingly, then quickly pushed the weird-tasting grilled meat further away.


You: Director, I think this is also a new attempt.


Sariel: No need to explain, your credit has bottomed out.


You: If that's the case, then let me show you something.


Sariel: You? I wanted to sit quietly for a while more, I don't want to hear any sounds of explosion.


You (pouting): Hmph, looking down on others. It won't happen.


I made a silly face towards Sariel, ran all the way to Mao Ge and took the condiments from him.


Mao Ge: Y/N, you know how to BBQ?


You: Not quite, but I've been cooking on my own when I was studying in the university, so I can make some dishes too. It'll have a better texture if we add garlic powder and some egg white...


As I was brushing the egg whites on the beef, a white flash suddenly appeared before my eyes. In shock, I looked up to see Sariel holding his phone, with his camera facing me.


He stunned for a second, quickly keeping his phone and looked forward. You can vaguely see a tint of redness near his ears. I held a plate of grilled meat in confusion, returning to his side.


You: Director, were you taking a photo of me just now?


Sariel: Whimsical. What's there to photograph on you grilling meat? The entire screen is full of lampblack.


You: Oh. Try my craft.


I placed the plate on the table, the tempting aroma suddenly attracted many people.


Hao Shuai: Y/N this is made by you? Looks pretty good.


Li Manman: Tastes good too! Everyone try it.


Everyone took one piece after another, the plate is almost emptied. Sariel quickly put the last piece into his mouth.


You: ... How is it?


Sariel: Barely edible.


You: Then it's 80 point, I know now~


Sariel curiously turned over and stared at me.


You: What are you looking at?


Sariel: I'm trying to see what your face is made of, it's harder than titanium. 


You: It's probably made of foxtail grass*.


*T/N: Foxtail grass is basically catnip for Sariel.


Sariel: Silly.


You: I'll go make some more for everyone.


When we're almost done eating, Mao Ge suggested to play something exciting. Everyone looked eager to try, but since Sariel is here, they did not dare to voice out.


Hao Shuai: Director, that... do you want to join us?


Sariel: *clears throat* Sure. Don't mind me, this is not the office.


Hao Shuai: Great, what shall we play?


Mao Ge: Never have I ever! Whoever lost will need to eat my failed grilled meat!


Hao Shuai: Oh God, you wanted to poison us!


Although everyone groaned, but everyone didn't object tacitly, and some are even excited. As if whatever that is done today is not weird, and even doing something ridiculous.


Mao Ge: Let me start first, when I was a kid, I fought seniors at school, winning a 1v4 fight!


Hao Shuai: Damn, releasing an ultimate move right off the bat!


Mao Ge: Don't deny, eat up!


While everyone looked at Mao Ge with resentment, only Sariel raised his hand. I stunned, and rubbed my eyes unbelievably. Sariel has a group fight when he was young???


Jiang Lai: I've done bungee jump.


I thought Sariel is going to receive punishment, I mean, how could someone like him go for a bungee jump? But who would've thought that he calmly took a sip of water, and raised his hand to express that he had the same experience.


You: Director, you've bungee-jumped?


Sariel: Well it's considered that way. I've jumped down from a very high place.


You: ???


You: Don't you have fear for heights?


Sariel: Who said that I am afraid of heights? Also, being afraid of heights and me jumping off from a high place before, is there a direct relation between them? What kind of expression is that? Don't you believe it?


You: I can't believe it at all! It's more believable if you're saying that you have pushed someone from the bungee jump platform.


Sariel: Then good. Next time when you are making trouble, besides meeting in the office, we can also meet on the bungee jumping platform.


You: ... ...


The ogress has exceeded my imaginations, in order to win everyone have been relentless, putting various kinds of tricks. I've eaten at least 10 pieces of the failed grilled meat from Mao Ge, almost losing my sense of taste. But this is nothing. The more shocking thing is, Sariel has done all of those weird things that everyone has said, and he did not look like he's lying.


I feel confused, but more of disappointment, because I noticed that I didn't understand him as much as I thought I did. Every time I feel that we are close enough with tacit understanding, that I could even guess what he's going to say next, or his next response, I will suddenly feel that I'm pulled away from his world through some incidents.


Li Manman: I... have lost someone really important, and cried a lot.


Hao Shuai: Cheh, what is this? Who doesn't have this. Tell honestly, is it your ex boyfriend?


Everyone raised their arms happily, Mao Ge has taken two big sticks of grilled meat and ran towards Manman, but I suddenly realized that Sariel was not doing anything, only quietly looking forward.


You: Director? Director?


He finally went back to his senses, looking around and finally understood, and reached an arm out from Mao Ge.


Sariel: Give it to me.


He ate really slowly, but he still finished it, surprisingly without his face blackened or having an troubled expression. It's as if he didn't mind getting punished for what's happening, but for something in the past.


Sariel: You guys continue having fun, I'll prepare something to eat.


Putting the bamboo skewer down, Sariel stood up and walked to the BBQ stand, gently putting on the apron. When everyone's almost done with playing, and the punishments have reached its end, Mao Ge suggested for everyone to have a sunbath and everyone agreed. I didn't follow them, but chose to stay.


Not far away, the smokes from the charcoal rises up, and has a choking smell. Sariel faced me with his back under the hot suns, looking flimsy, as if he's melting into it. Just looking at him for a moment, I suddenly have an urge. I wanted to ask him if he's feeling a little sad; I wanted to ask him what's the cause, and if he's willing to tell me?


But my conscience on how little I actually have understood him has reminded me, that he wouldn't tell, and his outer shell is way tougher than my imaginations.


Sariel: Just tell directly if you have something to say.


You: ?


Sariel: You've been staring at me for 17 minutes.


I scratched my head, unsure if I should ask, after struggling to think of the right wordings, I have decided--


You: You... really have never cried before?


Sariel: Never.


His tone was peaceful, as if he's saying something extremely normal.


Sariel: Is it very weird?


I silently shook my head. To Sariel, nothing is weird. He's someone that lives outside of this world, I can't use my own judgment to measure if it's normal or not on someone like him. But my heart is still bothered by it. I hesitantly took some capsicums and onions, nimbly walked to his side.


You: Sariel, do you want to do something exciting?


Sariel: ......


Sariel: Say it, what kind of crooked thoughts are you having now?


You (pouting): When did I have crooked thoughts?


Sariel: You're acting sneaky, so it's difficult for me not to make such speculations.


You: I just suddenly think, eating toasted meat is not even considered a punishment, if it were these that were toasted then it IS a punishment. You cut the onions, I'll cut the chili, then we skewer them up. Until they are back, let's pull a trick on them!


I placed a colorful skewer in front of him, giving him a smile that loudly says "conspirator" to Sariel.



Sariel looked slightly disdained, leaned backwards with his golden eyes widened. His gaze travels between the skewer and me, and turned his face away in the end,


Sariel: Sounds very stupid.


You: But according to scientific experiments, cutting onions can also effectively relax your body and mind.


Sariel: I've only heard that sunbathing could relax people.


You: Ahem, it's according to Y/N Research Center's research, so it's normal for you to have never heard of it before. The newest results of experiment is now shared to you, c'mon, do me a favor and give it a try~


It's so obviously that Sariel's face looked like he has a really big "do you think I'm a fool" written all over it, but the corner of his lips looks as if he's trying to suppress something, that a tiny curve could be seen on the corners of his lips. Finally, he nodded.


You: That's great! Let's compete to see who chops faster, how about that?


Sariel: Given an inch, wanting a mile.


Although he's saying that, but he still placed the few onions on the chopping board.


You: Then ready, start!


I raised my arm, aiming the green capsicum accurately and chop hard. The spicy juice splashes everywhere, and my eyes are starting to get wet.


I sniffed, and turned over to look at the Sariel that is cutting onions seriously. I can't see his eyes since his fringes have covered them, but his hands have never stopped. My heart is now feeling uncontrollably joyous, and I increased my speed.


Thud thud thud. The sounds are like a symphony of destiny that happened on the spot, playing its climax along with our fingertips.


I don't know when the competition has ended, I could only see a piece of blur in front of me, with tears rushing their way out of my eyes. I couldn't even wipe them off before they reappear, and the tears kept rolling down until a pair of warm yet dry hands lifted my chin with fingertip gently brushing over my cheeks.


I tried my best to widen my eyes, wanting to see him clearly. Slowly, his figure is slowly turning clear, I could see his slightly reddened eyes with a thin layer of tears in them, like a sparkling river, washing up into my heart. I quickly washed my hands, tiptoed, and gently wiped the tears on his cheeks with a tissue.


His tears are cooling, like a piled layer of snow that doesn't melt when you hold them. My heart feels sadder, and I can't help but to hold his cheeks, hoping to pass some warmth to him.


You: Sariel, your tears are so cooling...



Sariel: It's alright. Your tears are very hot.


Sariel looked at me gently, allowing me to wipe his tears away. Behind him is the setting sun, with its rednes looking like blood on the wicked seas, so breathtakingly beautiful. 


You: Well that shall consider that you've cried too, right?


Sariel: You... did this to make me cry?


You: Yes, but also no. I just think that no matter what we've encountered, no matter if it's happiness or sadness, it's good to be able to cry. Crying is a happy thing. After crying, the dirty things in the heart will be completely washed away. Don't reject it. I can cry with you next time.


I don't know what kind of silly things I've said, the words just naturally came out from my lips just by looking at him. Sariel only looked at me quietly, without any bit of annoyance.



After a long while, he reached out his arms and placed them on my shoulders, pressing me back to the ground. He then bent down, and seriously looking into my eyes.


Sariel: The way you cry is so embarrassing.


You: ...?


Sariel: Alright.



The corner of his lips lightly curved up, smiling calmly and sincerely. Although there's a tiny bit of awkwardness, but that is ignorable. 


Is this also Sariel?


You: Why don't you smile like this normally?


Sariel: Why should I smile like this normally?


You: Obviously it looks good that way!


Sariel: Mind your own business.



You (pouting): I have yet to even ask why you've done so much of deviant things in the past.


Sariel: I don't want to talk about it.


He straightened his back, and returned to the all-mighty look that he had in the past.


Sariel: Let's go, crying like this, what happens if people see you like this?



You: You speak as if you never cried. Hey, wait for me!!


On the beach, there are two strings of big and small footsteps, running into the depths of the light.





-- Choice: Heartthrob (2): To the beachside --


You: How boring it'd be if you're only coming to the beach to sleep, how about let's go there!


I dragged Sariel to the beachside, Mao Ge has arranged beach volleyball, sandcastle making and short run competition, and even managed to get sponsored gifts from various departments.


Colorful helium balloons, ducky swimming ring, firework sticks, summer chair... first place winner can pick so many things!


Sariel: All of them are useless things.


You: Exactly which part of them are useless? You can take pictures with helium balloons, if you can't swim you can use the swimming ring, and the fireworks would be beautiful if they are lit up at night!


Sariel: The things you've said can also be done in other places besides beachside.


You: You really don't want to participate at all?


Sariel: I'm not interested. Most of the group activities are here to insult my IQ.


You: You're such a killjoy. I wanted to join the competition.


Sariel: If there's a short put competition on the beach, you could win the first place.


I immediately remembered the time I accidentally threw a cloth hanger onto Sariel's head, and burst into laughter.


You: Director, would you dare to accompany me to play a game?


Sariel: Stop beating around the bush, just say it directly.


You: Why are you so easy to talk to today?



Sariel: It doesn't require me to think to know that, if I don't agree, you'll pester me until I agree. I must have accumulated a lot of virtue in my past life to having to put up with you.


You: I'll consider that you've agreed. If I can get the first place, you'll have to play fireworks with me.


Sariel: ... Just that?


You: Yeah.


Sariel frowned, looking a little troubled. After a long while, he finally spoke.


Sariel: I hate the smell of fireworks.


You: But you've agreed with me just now, as a director, you're backing out...


I drooped my head, staring at my toe, not forgetting to tug on his sleeve with a hand. As predicted, the familiar sounds of Sariel's deep breath fell into my ears.


Sariel: Tell me when you've actually won.


You: I'll definitely win it!


Short run on the beach, as the name sounds, is to use the beach as a running track for a short run. Mao Ge used a hemp rope to create four race tracks, and stabbed red flags at the end of the track. Whoever that gets the flag first will be the winner. The soft sands is not a suitable place to run, so getting the first place isn't an easy task. However, I didn't care about these, and placed all of my focus towards warming up.


Posing at the starting line, I stared at the small, bright flag fluttering in the winds that is not far away from me. A little stunned, I don’t know why I suddenly insisted on setting off fireworks. Just like what Sariel said, this is just something ordinary that could be done anywhere, so why must it be today? Is it because Sariel's been acting weirdly recently? My instincts are telling me that he is hiding a major secret in his heart, but he didn't want me to reach it.


Every time I feel that we are close enough with tacit understanding, that I could even guess what he's going to say next, or his next response, he'll suddenly become someone strange. I've seen his dazzling looks on the catwalk stage, seen him smiling coldly and mockingly, seen his rare gentleness,  and the sudden loneliness, but never this. Sometimes I would even have the illusion, that he's like the stars before sunrise, slowly disappearing from my world.


The unreliable feelings turned into blunt hammers, hitting again and again into my chest, that I can't help but wanting to capture every second that I could spend with him.


When I'm back to my senses, the whistle has sounded. I rushed out with all my might, with only a single thought in my mind - I want to win.


When I am at two third of the race, I am still leading. If I keep up with this, the first place will be mine. But right at this moment, my barren foot stepped onto something sharp and rough, the drilling pain came right away. My body loses its balance, and almost fell onto the ground. I could clearly feel that someone has surpassed me.


The desires to win and play fireworks with Sariel made me held on and continue. It's only a few meters away from the goal, I simply closed my eyes, pushing my way to the goal. The claps did not sound, and my feet felt empty, surprisingly fell into an embrace.


Feeling muddled, I opened my eyes to see Sariel's face at close proximity.


You: ...!


Sariel looks extremely angry, that the atmosphere around feels a little low, even the ends of his hair that used to curl up is hanging down. I was carried in his arms and placed onto a beach chair. Sariel spoke nothing and knelt down, holding my ankle.


You: I lost...


Sariel: Do you have a terrible memory? Can you stop pushing yourself in everything? What happens if in the future where I--*


You: ...In the future?


*T/N: He meant in the future when he's no longer there for her I had to type this in tiny because I'm sad okay


I looked at him in confusion, unsure of this unsettling feeling in my heart. Sariel's eyes turned stagnant, drooping his eyelids, and shook his head.


Sariel: *sigh* ... nothing. I was saying that if you're like this again, I won't care about you anymore. I should've known earlier that your brain is structured differently from normal people, there's only a single cell in it.


The cooling waters flushed across my soles that it stings and hurts so badly. I drooped my head in guilt, and dare not to make a single sound. Only when I couldn't bear it anymore that I made a hissing sound in pain.


Sariel: ... ...


The way Sariel treated my sounds is now more gentle.


You: Thank you.


I looked at the butterfly knot on my foot, scratching my head in embarrassment.


You: I just didn't want to give up, because it's such a simple competition. Also I told you so confidently that I will definitely win, so I didn't want to be ashamed.



Sariel: So being like this makes you happy?


You: It's not that too...


I peeked up to look at him.



You: Don't be angry, I'll learn to give up next time. Look, I've received my punishment too, not just that my foot is now injured, I can't even play fireworks now.


Sariel's anger did not disperse, looking fierce, and I dare not to even continue talking anymore. Unsure how long he has been glaring at me, he finally have opened his mouth.


Sariel: Do you really want to play with the fireworks that much?


You: Yeah! Most importantly, playing fireworks with you.


His cold expression had a flash of gentleness for one moment, but it was probably just my imagination.


Sariel: Stay here and don't move.


I looked at him turning his body over in confusion, only to see him walking towards the noisy crowd, and walked towards the team that's about to start the sandcastle competition, squatting down, grabbing the sands that he was disgusted at with no hesitation.


Mao Ge: Director, you--


Sariel: Competing.



Unknowingly, the night has fallen, the sunset has slowly disappeared in the horizons, leaving only a faint tint of light. The waters have been dyed into golden red, like a batch of gorgeous silk gently rolling. The whole world came into silence. I sat by the beach looking at Sariel holding a box of trophy towards me, in a trance, I felt like he has walked towards me this way for many years. I was still dazed, but a bunch of firework sticks have been stuffed into my hands.


Sariel: Why are you stupefied? Aren't you the one that wanted to play with fireworks?


You: Are you really Sariel? I dare not to be sure anymore.


Sariel: If you don't want to, then forget it.


He acted as if he wanted to snatch them away, I quickly stood up and defended the firework sticks in my hand.


You: I'm playing! I'm playing I'm playing!


Sariel only smiled, letting me to hug the entire box of firework sticks, and pulling him to a quiet space.


Tsssss... The little flames now leap in my palms, like the stars that will disappear in a blink of an eye, gliding through the nights of our life without being obstructed, vowing to leave some traces behind.


You: They look so good...



I raised my head to look at Sariel, his eyes are reflecting the fireworks, becoming a warm orange color.


You: I've heard that a firework stick can only burn up to 9 seconds, just as long as how long it takes for a human to think of the truth. So if some of the words of truth can't be said, use the firework sticks, and write them down in the air. Then the universe could hear, and convey these words.


Sariel: Where did you hear that from again?


You: It's true, if you don't believe it, you can ask me.


Sariel: You have words that you can't convey too?


You: Of course, everyone must have something.


Sariel: I don't want to ask.


You: Just ask, or it'd be boring to just light up the fireworks...


Sariel hesitated for a moment, and helplessly nodded in the end.


Sariel: Alright. I wanted to ask, just how much weird stuff are inside your head?


I raised the firework stick in conditional reflex, and was about to write in the air, only then I realized that he was mocking me.


You (pouting): What kind of question is this?


Sariel smiled lightly, the weak lights brightened up his features, making him to look even better-looking.


You: Ahem, so next will be my question to you. Sariel, you... Are you still angry at me?


I nervously looked at him, looking at him raising his arm seriously, writing a "No" in the air, stroke by stroke.


Sariel: Y/N.


You: Hm?


Sariel: Are you still angry?



This round, he looked at me. I didn't hesitate too, and wrote a "No" again on the spot he wrote. 


The scent of the night breeze, the smell of the fireworks, the smell of the seawaters, and a faint sweetness are now surrounding us.


The lively beach earlier has suddenly became empty, the seas have turned quiet and lonely. If it weren't for the trivial sounds of the fireworks, I would feel that it's as if the hand of the time has stopped moving.


The blues of the pure seawaters connects wth the deep blue in the skies, filling the skies and the ground. The world is like a huge piece of amber, solidifying the years, and we are one of the eternities that existed.


You: Sariel, are you happy today?


I blinked, seriously looking at the air in front, and saw the expected "Happy" written in the air.


Sariel: Are you happy today?


I waved largely, and wrote "Same as above" to him.


You: Sariel, are you a copy machine?


Sariel: I refuse to answer to silly questions like these.


You: Hmph. Next question. Why did you want to come today?


I thought Sariel wouldn't be willing to answer, who knows he would turn over and write in the air so quickly. I quickly popped my head over, but could only see some messy strokes.



You (pouting): That doesn't count, I didn't see clearly.


Sariel: That's your problem.


I glanced at him with resentment, and wrote "Sariel you meanie" in the air.


Sariel: Do you think that I can't see properly like you?


After we get tired of playing, we sat back to back. Under the guidance of the moon, the tide travels back and forth between the beach and the sea. The regular and powerful sound  of the waves made our hearts calm. 


You: I really hope this summer night would never end...


I turned over to look at Sariel, he is looking forward, half of his face have sunk into the night's colors, and I'm unsure of what he's thinking.


You: Sariel, let's come here again next year? It feels that over here, no matter what the trouble or arguments are, they will disappear here.


Sariel: Is this a new question?


You: No, it's a wish.


Then I could hear a crisp sound, "Pah!" -- he's probably lighted up a firework stick, writing something in the air. I purposely did not look at it, but my heart can't help but to feel nervous, also with a little anticipation.


A few seconds later, Sariel sighed, turned himself over, and wrote a few words seriously in front of me.


It's "Promise".



--- Ending ---



On the way back, Mao Ge purposely booked a larger vehicle, but we still tacitly sat together. Probably because it was already too tiring before, and I was also too excited yesterday, so I got a little sleepy, and quickly fell asleep leaning on my seat.


The winds, the birdsongs, the continuous sounds from the cicadas, joyful laughter and chattering are flowing around Sariel like clear waters, but he couldn't hear anything, only quietly looking at the girl, with full of seriousness yet very gently.


He quietly held up the camera, 'ka-cha', fixing the girl's sleepy face onto the screen. This second felt like a brief moment of eternity.


It's enough, he thought.


He has secretly had the taste of sentimental attachments that mostly shouldn't belong to him, the time has been too kind to him.


As the vehicle drives into the dazzling lights, the brightness that could almost brighten the darkness in half of his life made him unwilling to close his eyes.


Outside the windows, the white magnolias bloomed quietly under the sun, making a beautiful scene.





-- The End --


T/N: There's a sad story about white magnolias in Chinese. While it symbolizes continuous life in general, according to legend, there was a family of three that were happy, and the mother planted a large magnolia in their courtyard. The flowers bloomed colorfully, like a morning glow, but then the son and husband died in an accident. The mother cried day and night, and was completely heartbroken. ON that year, the flowers bloomed in white.

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.