6☆ Birthday Date with Charlie - Midsummer Gilding (仲夏鎏金) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/27/2021 10:52:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Disclaimer: Thank you Slothy for providing a recording of the card! I didn't manage to get this card myself but I got Onsen Sariel so I'll work on that hopefully soon!




In a summer afternoon, the sunlight is gradually scorching. I walked to the kitchen, and immediately saw the busy boss lady.


You: Do you need help?


Boss Lady: No need. Didn't the two of you have arrangements this afternoon? Hurry and go, don't let him wait for you for too long.


You: Eh? The person that was with me, has he already went out?


Boss Lady: Yes, he just went out, so he's probably not far away.


I stunned. I can't believe that Charlie would actually go out for a walk without me dragging him out.


You: He even said that he didn't want to come, but now he's more enthusiastic than I do.


The boss lady smiled, and pointed on the row of straw hats hanging onto the walls.


Boss Lady: The sun recently is very fierce, remember to put the hat on, don't get yourself a sunburn.


You: Okay, thank you!


I put on the straw hat, and after giving some thoughts I took another one for Charlie. Although this simple hat may ruin his "prestigious" image, but it's better than getting sunburned. 


Also, it seems to be quite interesting to see him wearing it.




I held the straw hat in my arms and exited the farmhouse, that even my lips curved into a smile uncontrollably. Just exiting the house, I could see the familiar figure from a corner.


You: Cha--




??: That is what the master meant.


An old yet calm voice interrupted my call, and only then I noticed that there's someone in front of Charlie. That's an elder that behaves elegantly, he's wearing a set of butler uniform, putting on an unobvious smile.


You: It's the person I met at Eir Bay.


Why is he appearing here? Is there something going on that he needed to see Charlie? He even said 'master', could it be a family-related matter?


Butler: Young master, do you wish to return this time?


Charlie's going back to his home country? I got surprised, and my hands uncontrollably gripped tightly onto the straw hat, unknowing why my heart is feeling a little down.


No no, if he's really going back, I should be happy!


Charlie didn't say a word, as if he's contemplating seriously. The only sounds remain in the surroundings are the almost-inaudible sounds of cicadas and the weak noises of the breeze.


Although I am very curious about his answer, but it's not good to eavesdrop. I paused, and it's probably better for me to get back to the farmhouse to wait for Charlie. Who would've thought that just when I took a step, the old voice sounded again.


Butler: Miss Y/N, you're here too.


I froze right there, hesitated for a while and ended up turning back, forcing an awkward smile out. Charlie saw me, and was first surprised, but very quickly he showed a clear expression and beamed in joy. 




Charlie: I believe I've only just left for a few minutes? And you're now purposely--


I can completely guess what he's about to say in the next second, and immediately shook my head violently to stop him.


You: Stop! I'm not looking for you on purpose, I was merely passing by! The two of you can continue.


However, Charlie seemed to have expected me to turn around and walk away. Before I could even step away, he dashed before me and took the straw hat in my arms.


Charlie: Running away as soon as you see me, did I do something treacherous that made you unhappy?


You: ......


Charlie: I know, you're going to give me a surprise.


You: ?


Charlie: Looks like this hat is specially prepared for me, right? Although it's overly simple, but since it's something from fiancée, I shall reluctantly accept it.


As he speaks, he raised an arm to tidy his hair, and carefully "put" the straw hat on, seemingly afraid that the straw hat would mess his hairdo.


You: Excuse me but are you really wearing a hat? Why do I feel like you're merely placing it on the top of your head?


Charlie: Well wasn't it because I'm afraid that it'll mess my hair up that I will be unable to perfectly display your surprise?


He righteously glanced at me.


Charlie: How's it? Am I still looking glorious as usual? In the whole world, only I would be able to think of such exquisite way to wear it.


I laughed dryly, and was unbothered by him, but the drooping ropes kept swinging before my eyes. I can't stand them anymore, that I raised my arms wanting to grab the two ropes and tie them properly.


Just when I reached my arms out, Charlie naturally leaned down. the close distance and the way he measures me up, along with the warm breath made me uncontrollably nervous. I quickly moved my gaze away and focused on the ropes in my hand. This time, a pleased smile could be heard from above. 


Charlie (chuckles): ... ...


You: What are you laughing at?


Charlie: I just suddenly feel, that you're actually easier to understand than I've imagined.


I paused the movements in my hand, looking at him in confusion.


Charlie: You must be embarrassed yet excited right now. Don't deny it. You gave me a gift, now helping me to tie the ropes. If I didn't remember wrongly this is your first time gifting me something, right? Your face is all red.


As he speaks, he raised an arm, gently putting the hair from the side of my face. I was shocked, and subconsciously stepped back, but I forgot that the two ropes are still in my hands--




"Zap!" The straw hat is now fitted on Charlie's head, the look that he was so proud of has now turned into a bunch of messy hair under the straw hat, that even his eyes are covered.


You: Ah, I'm sorry!


I let go of my hands, and was about to tidy it up for him, but Charlie spoke again.


Charlie: Shyness is shyness, your reaction is too big.


You: ... ...


I quietly grabbed onto the ropes again, and with all my force I tied the rope into a knot under his chin.


"Sss..." Charlie made a sound in pain, lifted his chin up, and tugged the knot a little, smiling even more right now.


Charlie: You're so worried that I'll lose the hat you gifted me? Don't worry, I'll take good care of it.


You (pouting): Who gifted that to you? It's a hat that the boss lady lent me,  if you wanted it you can buy it yourself.


I snorted and was about to take my leave, but I was immediately met with a pair of smiling eyes. The elderly butler was standing by, watching us quietly. I was busy dissing Charlie that I completely forgot there's another person here.


You: I'm sorry! The two of you can continue, I'll immediately leave.


I feel embarrassed to the extremes, that I can't wait to immediately vanish from that spot. But Charlie only raised an arm and grabbed onto the top of my straw hat.


You: What are you doing!


Charlie: Reminding you to wait for your dear fiancé. 


Charlie let go of my hat, and looked towards the butler by the side.


Charlie: Jill, please pass my words for me. He can do as his wish for my birthday party, but I will not be attending.


Jill: I understand.


The butler named 'Jill' responded respectfully, and nodded to me with a polite smile when he noticed that I was measuring him up.


Jill: Miss Y/N, I'll be taking my leave. I hope the two of you enjoy yourselves.


You: Thank you... ...


I nervously thanked him, but there's a word circling in my mind -- "birthday party".


Until Jill walked a little further, I can't help myself but to look at Charlie worriedly.


You: The birthday party you mentioned... ...




Charlie: So you're interested? Then I'll call Jill back and prepare a dress for you, and a stylist too.


As he spoke, he's already pulled out his phone, familiarly tapping a bunch of numbers.


I quickly stopped Charlie, afraid that if he dialed the number there'll be a group of men in black dragging me to the party venue.


You: Wait! I didn't want to join the birthday party, I just wanted to say... Is it really alright if you don't go back?


Charlie: If I go back right now, wouldn't I be letting you down after you've prepared this date so carefully? Preparing the itinerary a few days ago, in order to have me all to yourself, you don't even mind traveling all the way to this village in the countryside. You've done things to this extent, it won't do if I don't accompany you until the very end.


Charlie held onto his forehead, smiling as he shook his head.


I pursed my lips, and can't help but to feel guilty. Since I really have no idea that it's his birthday today, and didn't prepare a gift for him. How about we return to Guangqi city today, who knows if there might be a chance to celebrate for him.


You: Actually I'm not...


Charlie: Since you've already done it, what's there that you dare not to admit to? Oh~ Are there more surprises later? Alright alright alright, I'll pretend that I did not guess anything. Don't feel too thankful, to keep some respect for his fiancée is a virtue of a true man.


Charlie spoke a lot to himself, that his bizarre thoughts that have went all the way to outer space has brought me back to reality immediately.


You: That, about our next arrangement today--


Charlie: I remember, you said that you wanted to visit the swan lake before this.


You: I was just simply suggesting, you can still remember that?


Charlie: Of course, my memory is top-notch, especially anything about you - I can remember them very clearly.


You (awkward): Haha, then thank you...


Looking at Charlie's triumphant expression, I quietly sighed in my heart, and for once again struggling in thoughts. 


What should I do? For the following time, how should I arrange it?


[Choice: How should I celebrate his birthday?]


From left: Do Nothing; Intimacy; Listening; Heartthrob



[Choice: Intimacy: Make a birthday cake with him]


Speaking of birthdays, the item that is a must has to be birthday cakes.


But it seems like there's no cake shop in this village... How about I make one myself?



Following Charlie back to the farmhouse, I still continued to think of this question.


After confirming the ingredients in the kitchen, I'm now certain that there is zero possibility to create a western dessert, but I also found another ingredient for a pastry...


You: Charlie, how about we make a rice cake together?


Charlie: Rice cake?


It seemed like he's only heard this term for the first time, that he looks completely confused.


You: Yeah, since the conditions are limited, let's take this as your birthday cake~


Charlie: I didn't know you know how to make so many things. Not bad, indeed a good match for me.


You: You're too polite, I'm only doing what I've just learnt.


I pulled out my phone and opened a cooking app, ignoring his frozen smile.


After putting on the apron and preparing the ingredients, we squeezed in the cramped kitchen, studying the steps in the tutorial.


You: First, add five spoons of potato starch, then a suitable amount of milk...




Charlie's arm that picked up the starch powder stopped mid-air, and turned around to look at me.


Charlie: What size of spoon? How much is 'suitable'?


You: A normal spoon, I think? As for 'suitable'... judging from the picture, about 40ml?


I studied it a little, but Charlie has made no further steps, only staring directly at me.


You: Why aren't you pouring?


Charlie: There's no measuring cup.


You: ...... This is not a medical lab.


Speechless, I handed my phone to him, and took the milk over, and poured the milk by instinct.


Charlie: That's too slapdashedly done.


You: Your normal lifestyle isn't that rigorous either. Alright, what's the next step?


Charlie: Add a little flour, a suitable amount of white sugar...




Charlie: ...?


Charlie: Were you drunk while you wrote this tutorial?


You (pouting): What does that have to do with me? Don't take that as an opportunity to slander me.


I scoffed, and reached an arm to take the flour on the side, but accidentally collided into the milk bottle.


You: !


Luckily Charlie grabbed onto the bottle very nimbly, the milk only spilled a little, and wet the hem of his shirt.


You: I'm sorry, quickly wipe it or change into something else--


Before I can even finish my sentence, Charlie already raised his arms, remaining calm as he looks at me.


You: ... I will not wipe it for you.


Charlie: It's so rare to celebrate my birthday, but someone splashed milk all over me, and that 'culprit' didn't want to even help cleaning up her mess... The moral degeneration of the world is getting worse day by day.


You: That's enough!


I can't stand it anymore, and could only pulled a tissue out angrily...



[Try to help him to wipe the hem of his shirt]



[Intended ending: Tap on his shirt's hem]


[Tap on his eyes] This pair of charming eyes, are they making you unable to move your gaze away?

[Tap on his chest] I caught it at a good timing, of course this side wouldn't be wet.

[Tap on his pants] Looks like you've mixed up the kitchen and bedroom?

[Tap near his collar] Why, do you plan to lean over?


Charlie: Where are you touching?


Someone suddenly grabbed onto my wrist, I stunned for a moment, and subconsciously raised my head, flustering as I attempt to explain.


You (flustered): My hand slipped...


Charlie: Your hand slipped? Why do I feel like you're doing it on purpose?


Charlie leaned slightly, his scorching breath fell by my ears, making me panicking even more.


You: I said it was an accident... Then you wipe it yourself, I don't want to help you anymore.


I kept my arms back, and threw the tissue to him, no longer saying a word.


Charlie: It's such a rare chance, are you sure you don't want to hold onto it?


I turned over, still not bothered by him.


Charlie sighed lightly, and shook his head in regret, but very quickly he has put on an inevitable smile again.


Charlie: Forget it, since we have a lot of time ahead of us. Let's continue next time.




[Intended ending: Tap on his shirt's hem]


[Tap on his abdomen] The position is correct, you can go a little harder...


Charlie: Are you really drying it off for me instead of taking advantage to touch around?


You: Don't sprout nonsense! I was wiping seriously alright.


Charlie: Then take a few more tissue, and wipe a little harder.


You (pouting): Then how about you lie down and I'll even provide a massage service for you?


Charlie (teasing): It's not good to do it now, right under the daylight, let's talk about it at night.


You: ......


I got completely speechless, and could only 'fiercely' pull out a few more tissues, and wiped his hem hard.


You (pouting): Is this alright now?


Charlie lowered his head to check on the result of my hard labor, and reluctantly nodded.


Charlie: Judging from the fact that you'll be massaging for me at night, then let's go with this for now.


You (blushing): I was just saying, I wouldn't be massaging for you!




[Choice: Listening: Ask him if there's anything he wanted to do]


After thinking repeatedly, I still feel that, rather than having me to decide the itinerary later, how about giving the authority of choice to Charlie?


You: Let me ask you, is there somewhere that you specifically wanted to go? Or something specific that you wanted to do?




Charlie: Oh? Are you prepared to fulfil a wish for me?


You: You can consider that, since the birthday star has the most say for today. Ah... but if it's marrying then it's a no!


Charlie: A once-in-a-year birthday wish is being restricted, you're really cruel.


You: That can't be helped, who made me to be the most vicious queen?


Charlie helplessly shook his head, drooping his gaze and gave it a deep thought, and looked at me again.


Charlie: What I wanted to do today is very simple.


You: .... What is it?


Unsure if it was just me seeing things, but I kept feeling that there's a flash of cunningness in his eyes.


Charlie: Follow me.




I followed him back to the farmhouse, and came to the courtyard. Charlie went straight to the reclining chair and sat down. I looked at him in confusion, completely not understanding what he meant.


Charlie: Come over, let's lie down together for a while.


You: This is what you wanted to do the most...?


Charlie: That's right. I was dragged around for a whole day, so I just wanted to rest properly with my fiancée today.


Although this reclining chair isn't small, but for two people to lie together on it, it's still a little cramped.


Suddenly, I fell into hesitation.


Charlie: Sigh, looks like the prestige of the birthday star isn't very useful after all.


Charlie sighed, and looked up to me. I stood right there, and it's such a rare occurrence to look at him from above, and I actually find his gaze a little pitiful.


Oh well, forget it... the birthday star has the most say today...


I quietly muttered in my heart, closed my eyes and lied down.


[A voice clip will start playing here]




I thought you wouldn't be agreeing to it.


Why are you closing your eyes? Am I very ugly?


A handsome face is right by your side, why aren't you appreciating it?


*chuckles* 


Are you really not going to look at me?


Not bad, 'waking' up at a very good timing. If you aren't going to open your eyes, I will...


What I would do? Haven't you heard of the story of 'Sleeping Beauty'?


Are you leaning over to the side to give me more space? It's so rare that you're so thoughtful.


What now? If I talk, you'd get angry, but if I don't, you'd feel uneasy.


Sigh... Forget it, only I can spoil my own fiancée.


What do you want me to say? My feelings?


It's better than I've imagined.


Are you lying down uncomfortably?


Then lean a little closer...


Although I did say 'a little', but you only budged for 1cm right?


If you're moving backwards then--


Alright, don't move.


If you move abruptly again, I'll only be falling down with you.


*heartthrob sounds*


I won't simply move, but you aren't allowed to make me let go of my arms either.


Why did you close your eyes again? Are you sleepy?


Then have a good sleep, remember to dream of me.




[Choice: Heartthrob (1): Head to the swan lake as originally planned.]


After thinking for a while, I still decided to follow the original plans to the swan lake.


He seemed to be really sure that the fun farm trip for these two days is the birthday surprise that I've been preparing for him. Since it's now happened, then let's make the best out of this mistake, and enjoy this journey properly with him!


You: Then let's go back and prepare for a little, then head to the swan lake later. Oh that's right, I previously searched for some travel guides, there are a lot of entertainment around the attraction.


I took out my phone and showed some photos to Charlie.


You: We can feed the swans, row on the boats, making handicraft or whatever, are there anything that you're interested in?


Unknowing when, but Charlie has took off the straw hat, and a few disobedient hair kept curling upwards, pairing with his act of contemplation, it's kind of funny. I can't help myself but to turn away and laugh quietly in secret.


Charlie: Smiling so happily, you must've been anticipating for a long time right? Well then, allow me to satisfy you. We can play everything out there.


You: Everything?! Are you planning to play until the end of the attractions' operation hours?


Charlie: You've reminded me. Do you think I should've book the entire attraction in advance to avoid interruption from outsiders?


You: ... ...


Charlie: Then you can row the boat however many times you like. Whatever that you wanted to do to me, you don't have bother about others' gazes.


You: That's enough, if you say a word more we won't be going.




Charlie: Sigh, you're really dull. Then just simply pick a few attractions that you're interested in.


We returned to the farmhouse and simply rested for a while, and finally departed to the swan lake.




However, as I excitedly walked towards the lakeside, I was frozen right on the spot. The breeze brushes over, and the lake's surface glitters with the ripples, with the mountains' reflections, it has become a beautiful scene... Only if there weren't these tattered swan boats.


The originally white body of the boat has already tainted with full of rusty spots, not only there's no sense of beauty, it even looked a little horrifying. The worst of all, when you look across the lake, there is not a single swan on it, only a few fallen leaves floating on the surface - No swans swimming on it, no tourists, and not even a single ticketing staff is present.


You: Isn't this a consumer scam? It's completely different from the flyer.


Charlie: Aren't they about the same?


You: How are they about the same, it's already so tattered here!


Charlie: I think the ones on the flyer are also kind of tattered.


I have no time to correct his standard of 'tattered', only the feelings of disappointment overflowing from my heart. This swan lake is the best attraction I could find from the guides, and I was originally thinking that it'd be a place that even Charlie would enjoy, but I didn't expect to face such a situation.


It's his birthday, and I'm bringing him to around for nothing...


The more I think, the more regret I feel. Just at this time, a sudden voice sounded from behind.


???: *Goose noises*


I stunned for a little, only to turn back and see a goose casually strolling, and... an old man that is trotting to chase the goose.


Old Man: Ay, wait up, wait for me.


The goose completely ignored the old man's voice, continuing to stretch its long neck, walking proudly upright with its chest up. Suddenly, it stopped its footsteps, and a pair of bean-sized eyes started staring towards us.


You: Is it looking at us?


With full of questions in my head, I looked at Charlie in confusion, only to notice that he's lightly frowning, and walked a few steps backwards.


You: What's wrong? You aren't actually afraid of goose, are you?


Charlie: How could it be possible, it's just that it--


Before he could even finish his sentence, a fierce flapping sound could be heard. The large goose suddenly accelerated, and dashed all the way towards Charlie.


A perfect "Dainty Steps*", then another "Hawk Wing Spread", the goose waving its wings, straightening its neck, accurately pounced into Charlie's arms.


*T/N: 凌波微步 (Dainty Steps) and 大鹏展翅 (Hawk Wing Spread) are references to classical Kung Fu moves in classical Chinese novels/ movies.


Charlie reclined a little from the sudden attack that it took him some effort to straighten his body. His straight back is now completely stiffened, and he slowly lowered his face to look at the goose in his arms.


Goose: *joyful goose sounds*




You: Pfft, looks like it likes you a lot, it's sounding so happy!


Charlie: There are countless animals that admire me. I do not need such extra enthusiasm.


He spoke as he pushes the goose that's now leaning on his shoulder. But on the next second, the goose bent its long neck, and leaned on his other shoulder.


Charlie: Darn, has my charisma been oozing so much that even goose would throw themselves in my arms?


Goose: *goose sounds*


Charlie once again pushed the goose away, but it didn't want to submit to defeat either, that it even spread its wings as if it's making a gesture of embrace.


You: So great!


I can't help myself but to clap. The goose seemed to have felt my mood, that it too, proudly raised its neck.


Charlie: Hey, although you have a good taste, but can you not mess my collar up? You're ruining my  perfect image in front of my fiancée.


Luckily, the trotting old man has finally arrived before us. Charlie quickly passed the goose to him, and quickly patted the dust on his shoulders.


You: Gramps, did you rear this goose?


Old Man: It's reared by our goose farm, thank you for helping me to catch it. This goose is very naughty, that it will run out every two or three days, not even the tall walls could stop it.


Following the direction that his finger pointed, only then I noticed that not far away there is a moderately-sized mill.


You: Excuse me, I have a question. Isn't here the attraction for swan lake? How did it become a goose farm?


Old Man: The attraction you mentioned earlier has relocated to the neighboring village, so there's only a goose farm left. You two are tourists, right? Wanted to look at swans? It'd take at least 5 to 6 hours to head over, and it's even crowded there, it's better not to go! If I were to say it, there's nothing much to see, it's almost the same as our geese.


As if it understood his words, the goose in his arms even made a sound, expressing its agreement.


Goose: *goose sound*




Charlie: What he meant wasn't a compliment on how good you look, but to say that you are only about the same.


You: ... ... Are you chatting with the goose?


I've only read from the internet that people will talk to parrots, and I've never seen someone actually conversing with a goose. Baffled as I listen to their conversation, the goose seemed to be unable to take Charlie's badmouthing, and flapped itself out from the old man's confinement.


It flapped its wings, lengthening its neck, walking around Charlie as it makes loud noises.


Old Man: Aiyo, what's wrong with you now?


The old man chased after it to catch the goose, and I too tried to help by reaching an arm over, only Charlie stood there, unhinged, that he even shrugged and shook his head helplessly.


Charlie: Alright, I'll admit that the colors of your feather are actually not bad. Even so, it's regrettable to tell you that even if you're pursuing me so passionately, there's no more space by my side for you.


Goose: *surprised goose noises*


As if it has been struck by a lightning, the goose drooped its head sadly. I took the opportunity to grab it, and let out a relieved breath.


You: Phew... we caught it!


Charlie suddenly placed his arm over my shoulder and proudly look at the goose in my arms.


Charlie: Can you see it now? This is the difference between the two of you. You'll never reach my fiancée's level, give it up already.


You: I didn't even know that the perfect young master Zha is a master of goose language. But, why am I compared with a goose?


Charlie: Don't worry, no matter who you're compared to, you'll always be the one winning in my heart.


You: ...  Am I supposed to thank you?


Charlie: I put Charlie's arm over my shoulder away, and walked towards the old man to return the now dazed goose to him.


You: Can you bring it home on your own? Do you need our help to look after it?


Old man: That'd be great, allow me to trouble the two of you!




So, Charlie and I are like the guardian gods, following the old man all the way back to the goose farm.


We've only just reached the entrance, but we can already hear the waves of goose sounds behind the metal door.


Old Man: Why are you all quacking so energetically today?


Confused, the old man took out the key wanting to open the door, and Charlie suddenly let out a light chuckle.


Charlie: Do you still remember the 'Bird's Homage to a Phoenix'* that I've told you in the zoo?


*T/N: Reference to this card.


Charlie: Could you actually be thinking... to perform a 'Goose's homage to a Phoenix' today?


Charlie didn't speak, only smirking, closing his eyes, putting on an upright and confident look as if he's a king that will be seeing his people.


Perhaps I was surprised by his look, or maybe it was because of the overly loud sounds from the geese behind the gates, that I can't hold back from being nervous while anticipating for what's going to come.


The moment when the metal door opened with a squeaking sound, hundreds of large geese flapped their wings and rushed towards us!


Old man: Why are you all pushing me! Aiyo, I've forgotten to feed you guys? No wonder you were all quacking so loudly.


I looked at the old man that were pushed towards the manger, then looked at the Charlie that stood alone by the side, and burst into laughter.


You: Looks like the phoenix is someone else.


Goose: *goose sound*


The goose that we've escorted back made a light quack, rubbed on Charlie's leg, as if it's consoling him.


Charlie: Forget it, since not every goose has such good sense.


The goose flapped its wings after receiving its recognition from Charlie, and started to circle around him.


Charlie: It's so troublesome to be this popular. Don't miss me, you have no chance, be good and return.


Goose: *sad goose sounds*...


The goose bit the ribbon he put in his pocket, reluctant to leave, looking quite pitiful.


Charlie: Do you like this? Alright, then I'll leave it to you as a farewell gift.


I stood on the side, completely baffled, and enjoyed the parting drama between a human and a goose. Putting aside Charlie's proficiency in 'goose language', but this goose really seem to have taken a liking to him.


I remembered the one and only sparrow that willing to bother about Charlie, and had an idea.


You: This goose seem to be really liking you, how about I buy it and gift it to you as a birthday present?


Charlie's busy tying the ribbon onto the goose, the fancy color and patter, is definitely enough to make this goose the best-looking of all.


Hearing what I've said, Charlie looked over, but shook his head.


You: Why? Do you think it's troublesome to rear one?


Charlie: There's already Sherry in my house. 


Sherry, I remember it's the name of the sparrow, Charlie brought it home as a pet afterwards. 


You: Isn't that even better? They can even accompany each other. Your garden must be really big, so it shouldn't be a problem to have an extra goose.


Charlie: The important part isn't the living space, it's the attention I could give. It's alright as long as it's alive? Am I such a irresponsible person?


I suddenly stunned, and suddenly I have no idea what I should say.


You: I didn't mean it that way......


Charlie: Speaking of this, I've placed all my attention to you on these two days, aren't you feeling really happy?


He was serious for not even a single second, and now this person standing on the opposite is putting on a confident expression.


You: Yeah, very happy, the happiest in this universe! Is that okay?


Charlie: I knew it.




Charlie held the goose up, walking confidently as he crosses the entrance of the goose farm.


Charlie: Although I can't make you enjoy the honor of my fiancée, but I believe I've treated you pretty well. 


A couple of the geese that have been fed now pops over, looking at the fancy ribbon with full of curiosity.


Charlie: Oh? You guys are jealous?


Hearing what Charlie said, the goose in his arms quickly stretched its neck, as if it's showing off the ribbon to its goose friends.


Charlie: Feel free to show it off, this is something that I, Charlie, have put it on you with my very own hands.


It was originally a funny scene where he wears a straw hat while holding onto a goose, but it was forcefully made into a feeling of a fashion week in Paris.


Old Man: Eh? Why are the two of you younglings still standing there? Quick, come in, let me brew some local tea leaves for you.


You: Did you hear him? Hurry up and put it down!




After quite a while, we've finally walked past the group of geese and entered the mill.


The old man just finished brewing the tea for us, and the group of geese started to get noisy. He was shocked, and immediately went out to check on the situation.


Through the half-open door, I can immediately see the goose with the ribbon, walking proudly among the group of geese, showing of its new accessory.


No wonder it likes Charlie so much... Is this what you call 'same flock fly together'? 


I helplessly looked at the person by my side. Charlie lightly sipped on the tea in the cup, and his face immediately drooped in the next second.


You: Pfft...


I can't help myself but to laugh, and Charlie looked up when he heard me. He was still frowning earlier, but immediately showed a triumphant smile on the next second.


Charlie: Peeking at me again?


You (blushing): Who was peeking? I just wanted to ask you Shelly's condition right now. You can't be possibly fed the cute and obedient little sparrow into a pretentious peacock, right?


Charlie: Changing the topic so forcefully, is that your attempt to cover up your shyness? I recommend you to stay with me more often, it'll help you to change this bad habit of yours.


You: No, thanks. If we were to speak of bad habits, you'd be the one with more bad habits. I'm afraid to be tainted.


Charlie lightly sighed, as if I've missed a good chance in a thousand years, then took out his phone and placed it before me. In the display it shows a round, charmingly attractive sparrow, looking even cuter than the time we met it in the zoo.


You: I didn't expect you to rear it so well... It's really cute, it must be really nice to touch with that fluffiness.


Charlie: Of course, you can feel it yourself if you visit my place.


I suddenly turned speechless, just when I was about to diss him, a new idea popped out in my head.


You: Sure, then how about tomorrow?


Charlie stunned for a moment, but very quickly, he let out a satisfied smile, and raised his handphone.


Charlie: You've finally think it through, I shall immediately arrange the engagement party.


You: Forget about the engagement party! If you wanted to say it, it should be a birthday party...


Charlie: Birthday party? Although it isn't very formal, but it's not impossible to use it to announce our engagement.


You: Where did you think to? I just wanted to make up for your birthday!


I could feel that even the tip of my ears have reddened, and my voice has unconsciously became louder, worried that Charlie is going to make another topic with it again.


You: Didn't we miss our chance to see the swan lake? I feel quite guilty for that. It's your birthday but I've made you to go around in vain. I wanted to gift you a goose but you don't want it too... There's nowhere that sells cakes in the village, the only thing that could be considered as the celebration is the bowl of longevity noodles in the morning.


You: But I kept feeling that there's not much feeling of a birthday, so...


Unsure of the reason, the more I say, the hotter my ears become, and my voice is turning tinier and tinier.


You: So I was thinking if I can make it up to you tomorrow... Of course, if you wanted to be with your family then you can pretend I've said nothing.


I quickly blinked, and my heartbeat has subconsciously begun to beat faster.


Charlie: I indeed plan to spend the day with my family.


You: Alright, then...


Unsure if he was putting on a triumphant or helpless expression, Charlie shook his head and sighed lightly.


Charlie: Looks like you have not gotten used to your identity. Aren't we family already? Not just making up, even for next year, the year after next year, every single birthday of mine will be celebrated with you.


He said it so naturally, that his purple eyes have tightly locked me, and in his gaze exudes a faint smile.


I was dazed for a moment, but very quickly returned to my senses.


You: There's no need!


Charlie: If it's you, then you can probably make the boring parties to be something more anticipating.


Although I have no idea on where he's gotten the confidence, but my face sneakily turned red, that I could only turn my gaze away and scoff.


You (blushing): ... You look too highly of me.


Charlie: You're my fiancée after all.


Charlie smiled. He picked up the teacup and sipped the tea again, but this time without the look of disdain, and instead it seemed like he's tasted something delicious.




[Choice: Heartthrob (2): Celebrate with him according to the local customs.]


Since it's a birthday that only happens once per year, I should celebrate it with him properly. Although we can't go back to Guangqi City now, but perhaps a birthday celebration in the countryside have a different twist of flavor?


Feeling a little uncertain, I looked at Charlie to see him trying to adjust the straw hat on him, and his brows have turned into a perplexed frown.


The messy hair pairing with a simple T-shirt and short pants, with a pair of slippers... Looking at him right now, it seems like he's gotten quite used to the countryside life. At this rate, might as well as going back to ask the boss lady, and give him an unforgettable birthday according to the local customs!

 

You: It's now decided~




Charlie: What?


Charlie has already took off the straw hat, looking at me in confusion with the disobedient strands of curled hair have been pressed downwards.


You: Nothing, I just find the sun too hot today, it's better for us to not go too far, and just stay around the village and have a walk. I heard from the boss lady that she'll even prepare the local dishes tonight, don't you want to give them a try? If we're too far away, we won't be able to make it back on time.


Charlie: I can see that you are greedy*. Alright, then we'll not be going.


*T/N: The 'greedy' here isn't about money, it's about having an excessive desire or appetite for food.


Charlie: But are there anywhere that are worth walking around for? No matter how I look at it, it's just full of bumpy fields.


You: Well it's a walk, it's just a casual walk, and breathing in some fresh air. 



I walked towards a plantation field, with arms akimbo, I'm prepared to demonstrate a deep breath to Charlie.


You: Look properly and learn from me--


Just then, an old man driving an ox cart and carrying fertilizer passed by. An irritating and unpleasant smell suddenly gushed into my nose, that made me bent down abruptly and cough vigorously several times.


You: *coughing sounds*


The sound that intertwined with my vigorous coughing sounds, is the unabashed laughter from Charlie.




Charlie: I think it'd be safer for me to not learn about this kind of deep breathing method.


I coughed so much that even my tears are coming out, and this person is actually laughing at me?!


You (pouting): *coughing* You, don't you dare to laugh!


I tried my best to straighten my body, but who knows I'm now coughing even more vigorously. Just then, a large hand with warmth patted on my back.


Charlie: Slow down your breath, don't rush.


As he speaks, the hand on my back is still slowly and gently patting, passing his scorching warmth through the thin summer outfit.


I can feel that my breath is now gradually slowing down, just that the heat on my earlobes are subconsciously increasing.


Until I can finally completely breathe normally, I straightened my back, and Charlie too, have retracted his arm.


Charlie: Feeling a little better?


You (blushing): Yeah...


Charlie didn't utter a word, only shaking his head.


Charlie: Sigh.


You: What's wrong...


Charlie: I was only thinking, if I wasn't here, who will be the one to pat your back? What a worrisome fiancée.


The expression that was seemingly worried but is actually triumphant made me forget about his help earlier, and I can't wait to immediately make him shut his mouth.


You (pouting): If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even be choked!


With a lesson learnt from this incident, I no longer proactively demonstrate to Charlie, only bring him to circle around the surroundings, and returned to the farmhouse in an hour.


Until Charlie's back to his room, I secretly look for the boss lady, and asked her about the local birthday customs.


Boss Lady: You're saying, a different birthday custom from the city?


You: Yeah, are there any? Like adding a special topping onto the longevity noodles, or wearing a specific clothing...


The boss lady drooped her eyes and fell into deep thoughts, and suddenly her eyes brightened up.


Boss Lady: There is indeed one. You've seen the swings on the century tree in the village's entrance, right?


You: Eh? Well yes I did see that... Could the birthday customs here be actually playing with the swings?


Boss Lady: Of course not, it's just that the origins of this custom is related to that tree. Since the moment we built this village, the giant tree has always been there. Everyone believe that the tree is the village's protector. It represents the blessings of the nature, and bringing us good harvest, allowing our village to be passed onto the next generation, and keep growing. So after that, whenever someone is having a birthday, their family members will gift a leaf bracelet they made themselves to the one having a birthday, wishing him too, could be blessed by the giant tree.


You: Leaf bracelet...


I muttered as I repeated the boss lady's words, and suddenly noticed that there's a bracelet on her wrist. The linen cotton are woven into the shape of leaves with a few jade stones. Although the knitting technique is a bit rough, it unexpectedly looks fresh and natural when matched with this color. Perhaps it was because I've been staring at it for too long, the boss lady smiled in embarrassment.


Boss Lady: This is woven by my husband, it doesn't look nice.


You: No, not at all, it's pretty good! About that, can I ask about the process to make this? Can I trouble you to teach me?


Boss Lady: Of course.


So for the entire afternoon, I've spent my time with the boss lady and finally roughly learnt the weaving method. 


You: I've finally weaved it! I didn't expect it to be quite difficult.


Because it was a sudden idea, I didn't find any green material to make the lead, but surprisingly found a pair of metal leaf earrings. So I've made some modifications on the basic traditional bracelet, and added the metal leaf onto it. Pairing it with dark gray linen cotton, it's now looking more exquisite.


You: While it doesn't worth a lot, but since it's handmade, I hope Charlie won't dislike it.


A bit of nervousness suddenly gushed out from my heart, I got a little surprised, and immediately shook my head.


You (pouting): If he happens to dislike it, then I won't gift it to him... and never gift anything to him ever again!


When my thoughts reached this point, I've finally let out a breath in relief and stuffed the bracelet into the bag, preparing to have dinner.




While walking along the corridor, my gaze suddenly captured a familiar figure. The moon quietly shines its white light, lengthening Charlie's shadow. He's sitting by the corridor, raising his head as he gazes into the sky far away. It's his quiet side that is actually a rare sight.


Is he looking at the stars? Or is it something else? I got a little curious, and can't help myself but to walk a few steps forward. The old wooden floor suddenly made some creaking noise, that I awkwardly paused my steps only to meet Charlie's gaze as soon as I raised my head.


You: I'll make a disclaimer first, I'm not looking for you on purpose--


Charlie: Then consider it as me waiting for you on purpose, it's alright for the fiancé to get shortchanged from time to time.


You: What do you mean by getting shortchanged...


I quietly mumbled, but still walked over to sit by Charlie's side, and gazed into the skies.




The bright moon is embedded into the dark skies, making the stars surrounding it to lose their colors.


You: The full moon, it's so pretty.


Charlie: Well it's only the perfect full moon that will be worthy to match my birthday.


You: I'd advise you not to fake it, it's only because it's the 15th day of the month in the lunar calendar*.


*T/N: The Chinese Calendar/ Lunar Calendar has been made in such a manner where every 15th day of the month there'll be a full moon!


I quietly sneered, and turned around to look at Charlie, but he only chuckled lightly, and surprisingly not refuting at all.


You: Secretly looking at the moon like this... Are you regretting not going back to attend your birthday party? Missing your family?


Charlie: Secretly? I've always been aboveboard. Also, you got to remember this, in my life dictionary, the word 'regret' does not exist.


This person can really never be serious for more than 5 minutes, just give him some wind and it's enough for him to start a wildfire in the forest. Feeling too lazy to be bothered about him, I turned back and continued to admire the beautiful moonlight.


After quite a while, Charlie's voice sounded again, even deeper than earlier, and his voice have mixed with the sounds of the cicadas, not quite clear to my ears.


Charlie: Also I don't really have someone to miss, isn't my family right by my side?


Family... by his side?


You (flustered): ?!


I stood up almost immediately, and my face has turned as red as a tomato.


You (still flustered): You- Don't simply say things!


I was about to turn around and walk away, but perhaps it was because of my large moments that happened in a sudden, I could only hear a 'ding', and the leaf bracelet that have been in my pocket fell into the courtyard just like that. Charlie leaned over to pick up the bracelet, and handed it to me. 


Now I'm feeling even more awkward, the surprise little gift that I've prepared hard got found out by the intended recipient in such a manner.


It can't be possible for me to receive it back, pretend that nothing happened, then wait until later to pull it out and gift it to him again, right? Forget it, how about I'll just do it now...


I took a couple of deep breaths, until the heat on my face have finally receded, then raised my chin a few times and put on an insouciant expression.


You: Keep it then, it's a present for you.


Charlie: Present?


You: Yeah.


Charlie stunned a little, and started to examine the bracelet.


You: I've heard from the boss lady, that according to the customs here, the birthday person will all receive a special gift. It's this type of hand-woven leaf bracelet. It represents the blessings of the giant tree and the nature's protection, also the care and love from family. It has a pretty good meaning, no?


Charlie: Family... You're the one saying it this time.


I came back to my senses, and met Charlie's teasing gaze.


You (blushing): No! Not family, I remembered wrongly! It's someone close... also incorrect!


Charlie (teasing tone): Oh, someone close to me, that's even better.


You (flustered): If you continue to do this, I'll not gift it to you!


I furiously wanting to snatch the bracelet back, but Charlie raised an arm to protect it, then wore it in his wrist, and nodded in satisfaction.


Charlie: It's my first time receiving such gift.


You: ... You're finding it cheat?


Charlie: You personally have woven this as a gift for me, isn't it priceless? Even if it's a birthday party that costs millions of dollars, it's not as interesting to me comparing to this present.


I froze on the spot, unsure how to continue this conversation. Charlie didn't utter a word too, only lowering his head and gaze into the bracelet in his wrist, and occasionally touching the metal leaf with his fingertip.


After hesitating for a moment, I sat beside him again.


You: Don't you like birthday parties?


Charlie: After getting used to it, it doesn't matter if I like it or not.


You: Is that so...


Charlie: Why, do you dislike birthday parties?


I glanced towards Charlie, not denying it.


You: For the few years when I was living with my father, I was forced to attend a lot of birthday parties by others. Each time the party ends, I will feel extremely worn out. Even I as a guest would feel so, those banquet masters, those that have to stay in the center of socializing circles, just how hard it'd be for them?





Charlie: My fiancée is concerned about me so much, I'm really happy.


You: Which ear of yours heard that I was concerned about you? I was just stating the fact, commenting on a social phenomenon.


Charlie (loving tone): I understand now. As expected of my fiancée, not only she's a great designer, she's also great critic.


The moonlight is reflecting in Charlie's eyes, he smiled, and the moonlight in his eyes started rippling. Unsure if it was a misperception caused by the moonlight, or if it was because of him lowering his tone, that made me feel that the smile on him just now is looking very gentle.


Charlie: Did you just say that, you only attend these parties after you started living with your father. How about the time before that?


You: In the past... When I was a child, if there's a classmate that is having their birthday, they'll invite everyone to play at their home. The family of the birthday kid will prepare a table full of dishes, and every attendant will also prepare a small gift. Right, there's a year where my granny purposely sewn a little bear. It's the cartoon protagonist that was very popular at that time, called GoGo Bear, super cute!


Thinking of this, I can't help myself but to smile, but very quickly, the happiness disappeared from my heart, just like the winds.


You: But after granny has passed away, I've never received these type of gift, and even when I have my birthday, it always felt like there's something missing.


Charlie: Looks like from now on I'll be the one to make up to this emptiness.


You: What do you mean? Are you sewing a bear for me? You? Really?


I looked at Charlie with full of suspicion, and tried to have a mental image of him picking up the needle to sew a bear. "Pfft--" I burst in laughter.


Charlie: Is it funny? I'm this smart, as long as if I wanted to learn, there'll be nothing that will stump me.


You: Sure, then I'll look forward to it.


The more I imagine, the funnier it gets, but Charlie's gaze was very serious.


Being stared by him like this, I can't help but to keep the smile away, pursing my lips, and my heart started to beat a little faster.


You (blushing): Ahem, I just talked about present, right? So beside those, it's wish-making, blowing the candles off, eating cakes, it doesn't seem like there are anything else that are special. I was about to buy a small cake for you, but sadly there isn't a cake shop in this village. As for candle, I also asked the boss lady to look for me. Although we can't find it, but we found a substitute.


As I speak, I took out a box of matches, showing it to Charlie as if it's a treasure.


Charlie: So you are actually not a queen, but the little match girl.


You: This isn't a match, it's your birthday candle. Please cooperate with enthusiasm and hypnotize yourself a little, alright?


I took out a match, and tried to light it up by stroking it on the side of the matchbox, but the expected spark did not appear.


You: Weird...


I tried again for a few more times, even changing to another match, but no matter what I did, the match wouldn't light up.


Charlie: Looks like it has dampened.


You: ......


This journey to this birthday celebration is really bumpy. I started frowning, but suddenly I managed to capture a bit of fluorescence before my eyes. Unsure when, a couple of fireflies started to appear in the courtyard. As if they've heard my calling, they slowly moved towards Charlie and my side from the grove, little by little. 


You: I know! How about you make a wish to the fireflies?


Charlie: May I know how should I extinguish them?


You: Silly, wouldn't it be fine if you just let them fly to somewhere where we can't see? Hurry up, they might really fly away later! Quickly close your eyes!


After my repetitive pleading, Charlie sighed lightly, and cooperatively closed his eyes. As the night breeze brushes over, the fireflies in the air gently move along with the winds, making a patch of weak yet gorgeous lights.


I turned over to look at Charlie's side profile, and I can't help myself but to quietly close my eyes.


The cicada sounds that are far away, the gentle breezes, and the leaves being brushed by the winds; The scent of the soil, the bright moonlight, and the dancing fireflies; and adding... the soft and stable breathing sounds by my side, anything and everything here, have built into a cozy summer night.




Suddenly, I feel a weight on my shoulder, a jacket with warmth lingering on it is lightly placed on me. I slowly opened my eyes, turned over, and met the pair of purple eyes that are reflecting the moonlight.


You: Thank you...


Charlie did not utter a word, only raising his arm and pulled the jacket a little above. The warm palm touched my shoulder, bringing the scorching heat and heartthrob that only belonged to the summer night.


I subconsciously moved my gaze away, and coughed lightly.


     

You: Are you done wishing?


Charlie: Almost.


You: What do you mean by almost, who would make a wish halfway?


Charlie: Because half of it has already came true, so I don't think I need to wish further.


The way he explained it made me even more confused.


You: It's already came true? What is it?


Charlie didn't say anything, only raising his arms and shrugged.


The metal leaf clanged into the accessories by it, making a crisp sound, mixing in the sounds of night breeze.


Charlie: Guess it yourself. If you still can't guess it by this day next year, I'll tell you.


----




After dinner ends, the night colors darkened bit by bit.


I changed into my pajamas, and was about to shut the windows, but there's suddenly a lively sound that could be heard from the window. It seems like there are many people gathering and talk, and even cheers from children.


You: What's going on?



I curiously walked past the courtyard and exited from the back door, and I was baffled as soon as I opened the door.


The empty flatland was suddenly taken over by a helicopter, Charlie is standing by the cabin, lowering his head as he tidies his collar.


Many villagers are standing around him, young and old, male and female, some are taking pictures, and some are discussing among themselves.


Boy: Big brother, were the things you said all true?


Charlie: Of course, I'll never lie.


Girl: That's great! Then I'll let papa to bring me to a good spot!


Boy: Wait a little, I wanna go too!




A few kids noisily wanting to climb to somewhere high, Charlie only sneered with a smile, with a triumphant expression all over his face. And a bad feeling has surfaced from my heart, that I subconsciously turned around and planning to escape.


Charlie: I have yet to even look for you, and you've already came over. Looks like we really do have tacit after all.


A large hand is placed on my shoulder, that made me having no choice but to turn back and face his complacent look.


You: What are you planning to do again? Also what's with this helicopter?


Charlie: I'm planning to take you for a ride.


You: ...... I'm going to bed, good night.


I turned around and wanting to escape, but the hand is once again placed on my shoulder, with a force that didn't allow me to refuse, he tugged and dragged me towards the helicopter.


10 minutes later.


The sound of the propeller's chuffing sound echoed in my ears, and I finally gave up the struggle and sat blankly beside Charlie Sue in my pajamas and slippers.


Charlie: Why aren't you saying anything? Are you actually afraid of heights?


You: Haha, just consider me feeling sleepy.


Charlie: Then you need to hurry up and cheer yourself up, because what happens next will be worthy enough for you to remember for your entire life.


You: ... What?




Charlie: Regarding the thing about birthdays, I've given it a detailed thought again. I indeed do not have a liking in terms of participating birthday parties, but to have such a simple and low profile way to celebrate a birthday, it's really not matching my personality.


You: ......


Charlie: Additionally, my fiancée have worked so hard to prepare so much of surprises for me, I should be gifting something back, no?


Just when he finished his sentence, a booming sound could be heard from outside of the windows.




Behind Charlie, I can see the blooming fireworks. They brightened up the night sky, and also brightened the arm that Charlie reached out to me.


I widened my eyes in surprise, completely forgetting to respond, and just like that, he pulled me over to look outside the window together.


The dazzling fireworks are blooming at such a close proximity, it's almost as if I could touch them if I reach my arm out. The endless night sky looks like a long river, and the fireworks are like the starry night that's reflected in the river, where we are boarding on a boat that could freely go through this piece of galaxy as we wish.


I can't help myself but to press onto the glass window and staring intently towards the window.


Charlie: How is it, are you so touched that you wanted to cry now?




Charlie's voice pulled me back to my senses, I looked at the handkerchief he passed to me, and turned away.


You: Thank you, but I'm not this weak. Also this firework... Although it looks really great, but it's better to not be so ostentatious from now on.


Charlie: So you've been thinking on how you will be celebrating my future birthdays?


You: I wasn't--


I angrily widened my eyes, but as soon as I raised my head, I lost my mood to do so. In that pair of violet eyes, it reflects the sparkling fireworks in those violet eyes, and two little me.


You: For next year's happening... Let's wait until next year before discussing about it.


Charlie: Don't worry, I'll leave them to you every single year.


The fireworks still continued to bloom outside the windows, looking at the colorful yet magnificent scene, I suddenly remembered that I have yet to wish him 'happy birthday'.


You: Charlie.


Charlie: Hmm?


You: Happy birthday~


Charlie: Thank you.


It feels like it's actually the first time, that he's thanking me so seriously. The apex of my heart suddenly tightened, and then, it's now gradually accelerating, that the sounds of my heartbeat could not be covered.


You: There's one more thing... Actually, if I weren't cook the 'longevity noodles' by mistake in the morning, I wouldn't even know that it's your birthday today. I've agreed to go out with you at the very beginning because I really just didn't want to owe you anything. I made the farmhouse tour as a destination, because I thought you'd definitely never get used to it, and it was merely just to make fun of you. As for the birthday gift, I didn't prepare in advance either...


I paused, and unsure what else I can say, but Charlie has spoken.


Charlie: So, what's with that?


You: So... You aren't angry? In certain manners, I've lied to you.


Charlie: In order for me to have a good birthday, my fiancée has been thinking and busy for the entire day. I don't think there's anything that's worth getting angry for.


I stunned, and I don't know how to continue the conversation, only feeling my heart to beat softly.


You: ... Sometimes I really can't understand you at all.


Charlie: Then you'll have to work harder. Since I've already understand you completely. Just let me know if you need help, I'll let someone to compile my information and send it over to you.


You: There's no need!



I sneered, turning over and continued to enjoy the fireworks outside the window. Despite knowing very well in my heart that fireworks' beauty are only temporary, but right at this very moment, I can't help myself but to anticipate...


Anticipate that this very moment could be written into eternity.



Event Stories:


Check out other translations for Light and Night here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.