[Light and Night Event] Fun in the Wild - Episode 04 | Charlie's Birthday Event Part 1 || 光与夜之恋 活动02 沐野拾趣・剧情04

7/25/2021 05:30:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Read Episode 03 Here



Walking out of the market along the recommended path on the flyer manual, we could see the village from afar. There is an unusually large banyan tree standing at the village entrance. Only when we get closer that we can see the branch of the old tree has a pair of swings attached to it, lightly swaying along the gentle breezes in the village.





You: So this is the "century tree"! After having fun for so long, we've finally found a good spot that is suitable for after-lunch break!


I pointed towards the swings in excitement and joy as I trot towards Charlie.


You: Charlie, do you want to play on the swings?


Just when Charlie was nodding aggressively, suddenly the corner of his mouth twitched, and he looked very disappointed.


I followed the direction of his gaze, seeing that there are a couple of boys that are probably at the age of 3 or 4 already jumped up to the swings.



Charlie (sighing very lightly): ..... 


You: How about let's wait for a little? I don't think they will take long--


Before I could even end my sentence, the kids from our farm tour have all rushed to the scene. The little heads all crowded under the swing, fighting and arguing for their turn to play with the swing, and even competing on who could swing higher, that the chances for us to wait until our turn is getting even tinier.


You: Do you want to play? Actually we do have quite a lot of time.



Charlie: I--


???: You're already this old, what are you playing on the swings for?


My entire body stiffened in embarrassment, and only to notice that it's the conversation between a mother and daughter duo after looking towards the source of sound.


Mother: See? Those that are on the swings are all three-year-old kids, don't you feel embarrassed to squeeze among them? Be a good girl, follow mommy to the teahouse.



For each sentence the mother have said, Charlie's expression seem a little more awkward. Until she brought her daughter away, Charlie has already frozen on the spot, looking really absentminded, as if he has faced a great defeat that he has never encountered for the past 28 years of his life. 



Charlie: Let's go, it's for the kids, I have no interest. For an adult that is perfect and strong like me, is definitely a mismatch with swings.


The usual confident tone of his is surprisingly bringing a tint of weakness.


You: No way--


I crossed my arms over my chest, expressing my strong disagreement.


You: Don't let your feelings be kidnapped by your age! You'll only know if swings are fun once you sat on it, age doesn't matter in this.


Charlie shook his head helplessly, as if he's answering from his instinct.



Charlie: I wasn't kidnapped by age. On the contrary, this is a scientific conclusion. The origins of swings are to make up the flaws of strength and speed, to fulfil the fantasies of humans towards the skies. As for me, I have no flaws, and I don't need anything to make up for it -- I, really am not suitable for swings.


You: I didn't expect you to answer this fluently.


Charlie: Because perfection is in my instincts.


Charlie wondered for quite some time, so I accompanied him as we squatted under the banyan tree, until the playful sounds of the children slowly disappear.


You: Do you want to play for a bit now?


Charlie: No.


You: The children over there are all gone~ Relax, now there's only me right here, so you don't have to feel embarrassed.


Charlie: Really?



Charlie turned over, curiously glanced towards the swing's direction. The two empty swings are now swaying in the winds, as if the sounds of joy still remained.


Charlie: Then I suppose we can have a look together.



Sitting side by side with Charlie, I can't wait to tiptoe and swing myself to the air. Without the bounds to the ground, I feel like a free bird. The winds brushed gently over my ears, and my mood is unusually great. When the swing reaches the highest point, I lowered my head to look at the swing beside me -- There's only an aggrieved figure, scraping on the ground in boredom.


You: Why aren't you playing?


Charlie raised his head and looked at me, there are overflowing dismay in the eyes that are reflecting the tree's shadows.



Charlie: Legs are too long, I can't even start swinging.


I lowered my head to have a look, only to realize that his legs are pitifully curling up under the wooden plank, there's nowhere to put them properly. 



A thought came into my mind, I quietly walked towards Charlie's back, and strongly pulled the long ropes of the swing backwards before Charlie could even respond.



Charlie: Aaaa-- What are you doing!?


You: Be careful, hold tight.


The swing is now pulled to a certain height, and I pushed violently, sending Charlie towards the skies. A low exclamation, along with Charlie's figure are both swayed into the air.


Charlie: *breathing sounds*


The swing has once again swing past me, I can hear a sound of rapid breathing.


You: Eh, he can't really be having almost no experience in playing on swings... right?


Looking at the back view in the skies, I started to get curious of the childhood of this mystical man had in the past.


The swing gradually stops, and I leaned in front of Charlie.


You: Scared?


I thought I'd be seeing a face that couldn't control its expressions. Who knows, Charlie is actually beaming in joy, that he even raised his arm to tidy the messy hair.



Charlie (joyous tone): One more time.


Looking perfectly calm as he adjust his sitting posture, he gestured me to stand behind him with a glance.



Charlie: Fiancée, please push a little harder this round.


You: Did he suddenly find joy in swinging?


Accompanied with curiosity, I once again pulled the swing to a height, and pushed him even harder than before. This time, a rather joyous voice sounded from above.



Just when the swing has arrived its highest point, Charlie suddenly opened his arms intoxicatedly, almost as if he is about to hug himself into the skies.


Charlie: Ahh-- This is the true joy in rural farms!


You: ... ...


After some time, the swing has finally returned to the ground again, and Charlie threw another anticipating look towards me.



You: Alright, then let's do this again.



Charlie: Fiancée, there's no one else in this world that knows me better than you do now.


You: There's probably no one out there that wouldn't understand such direct 'hint', right...?


Charlie's figure sways in the clear skies, I can't help myself but to remember some strangely wonderful yet seemingly unrelated imageries. The animal youngling that completely shows its belly to a stranger, the rose tomato that was mistaken as flower buds, the watery eyes of the sea turtles on a certain night heading to the island shores under the moonlight...


You: I think, it seems like he isn't someone that is too difficult to understand--


If only if he's willing to allow so.








Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.