Main Story Ch. 1-14 - The Turning Point of Fate (命运的拐点) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/14/2021 06:00:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Read Previous Chapter HERE




Suddenly, no matter if it's the audience or the participants, all of us have stoned right on our spots.


Audience A: Isn't Sariel retired already?!


Yeah, how could it be possible?! But the figure under the lights, the cold and light eyes, the face that I've seen numerous times on magazines... Sariel is really appearing in front of my eyes.


The world seemed to have frozen, I stood still on my ground, looking at him walking past me, step by step, passing the cameras and crowd, headed towards the side of the panel's seat.


The time resumed right when he sat down, the atmosphere in whole venue right now is as if the tides were boiling hot.


Host: Just as I have introduced just now, from today onward, Mr. Sariel will be working as the design director with Warson. May Warson reaches a higher stage under his charge.


The audience started discussing among themselves again, and the host quickly passed the microphone towards Sariel.


Host: The last match is about to begin, before this, may we know if there's something that judge Sariel wishes to tell everyone?



Sariel's gaze moved up, looking completely expressionless. 


Sariel: There's nothing much that I want to say.


The host smiled awkwardly then smoothed things out, and begun announcing the following match's rules. In the final match there are three different themes, all three themes are submitted by the judges. The finalists will select their respective judges and fulfil the requirements from the judge.



Host: The order of selection by the finalists is determined by the previous round's rankings, then, the first finalist that has such right is--  Y/N, please make your choice!


You: ?!


I'm the first one? So I was the first place in the previous match?! Feeling excited, I took over the microphone from the host, looking at the panel seat in front of me.



Famous designed Yan Xiao is known for his kindness, and have been very friendly to all participants. As for the vice director of Warson Mya, she's known to be strict, but has been giving me some praises in the previous matches. The last one...


Sariel quietly sat there, despite being the center of attention by the live scene, but he does not seem to care about the noise from outer worlds. I have imagined various scenarios of meeting him, but never would I've thought that our encounter turns out to be anything like this. According to rumors he has been extremely strict towards people and things. However, this might be the one and only chance...


I grabbed onto the microphone firmly, and took a deep breath.


You: I choose--


Only when he heard my voice, that Sariel has retracted his gaze, and our gazes met. The pair of golden eyes are still emotionless.


You: I choose Mr. Sariel.





Even until the very moment I've sat down in front of the individual operation station, my heart is still beating quickly.


Opening the paper note on my palm, the only word written on it is "Designer". This is the assignment that I received for my impromptu design. Looking at it for some time, there are various inspiration that flashes across me, but I couldn't grasp the key idea.


At this time, the preparation room next door has started running the sewing machine.


You: They are starting to craft already?!


This is too fast. I quickly took some deep breaths, telling myself that I can't be affected by this. But the sounds of the rhythmic sewing machines kept passing into my ears.


That afternoon... there's a sewing sound like this too...


I closed my eyes, allowing the time to go backwards in my mind.


"Da-da-da-da"... Grandma lightly steps on the sewing machine. And I was sitting beside her, holding my cheeks while looking at her.


Grandma: When you grow up, what kind of person do you want to be?


The little me tilted my head and thought for a couple of seconds, then smiled towards grandma.


Younger me: To be someone like grandma.


Grandma: Why, dearie?


Younger me: Because I can make many pretty skirts, and could even sell them out. Then grandma and mama will not be working so hard.


Grandma: Our baby is thinking maturely now, then do you know, what are the people that makes pretty dresses called?


Younger me: They are called grandma.


Grandma: No, dearie, these people, are called 'designers'.


Younger me: Then I want to become a designer!


Grandma: If you really want to become one, then grandma will teach you.


Younger me: I wanna learn, I wanna learn!



Grandma: Alright. However, no matter what our baby wants to do in future, one thing you must always remember, is to first be yourself. Only being yourself, that you will not feel afraid when you are facing difficulties, that you will have enough of courage to face everything.


Younger me: Be myself...


I repeated those words clumsily, looking at the blooming roses outside of  the window, my heart too, has shaken along with the roses brushed by the warm breezes.


Grandma: You'll understand when you grow up.


After then, I've grown up, but mom is no longer here, and I have no more chances to make a dress for her. Then even later, grandma too have waved at me, visiting the other world.


I have yet to even master her craft, yet to give her a good life, and all of a sudden I'm left all by myself, with only this dream that accompanied me till this date.



Right now, I remembered the words my grandmother once told me. I suddenly understood that, standing right here itself, is being myself. I think I know what design I should make.



After submitting my final design, Wu Yue, Gao Cheng and I stood together on the stage, waiting for the final results. Wu Yue's theme is 'Hippies". Within a short two hours, she has already made a ladies' skirt. Gao Cheng's theme is "Midsummer night's dream". He made a silk shirt, looking simple but there are many intricate design elements everywhere. As for me, to convey the 'designer' in my heart, I've used the black lace of the highest twist* that could be found on the site, splicing light gold roses as decoration, and completed crafting a top hat.



*T/N: The higher the number of twists is in lace, the stronger the lace is.


Host: Next, let's allow the three judges to make simple comments on these crafts.


Yan Xiao maintained his usual friendliness, gave our works a rather positive comment. Mya's the opposite, and clearly pointed the parts that each craft lacked.


The microphone once again get passed into Sariel's hands. Under the lights, his facial expression is stern and cold.


The site suddenly quiets down, nobody dared to say a word.


Sariel: The silk shirt lacked the highlight of the design. Rather than spending your energy on craftsmanship, it's better to think about your problems on coming up with new ideas. For the skirt... Retro does not mean replicate. IF you are only chasing for sense of security, then you will only be bound towards it.


He paused a little, his gaze fell onto my work. My heart now beats like a drum, and I paused my breath.



Sariel: You did not even understand the meaning of the theme. This opinionated design of yours has completely threw the nature of 'Designer' away.


You (shocked): ... What?


It's a gaze with full of disappointment that is sharply stabbing me. Everything in the competition site became blurry, my eyes could only see the dazzling patch of gold. I couldn't hear how the host has smoothen the situation, or how he has changed the live atmosphere. 


Until a name entered my ears.


Host: Allow us to welcome the champion of this round's Warson Prize -- Wu Yue!


The warm applause and cheers have changed in my ears, changed into the sounds of broken bubbles in the depths of the seas.


Read Next Chapter HERE

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.