Main Story Ch. 2-08 - The Time in Between (时间针脚) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/18/2021 09:42:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-



Read Previous Part Here




As expected, Sariel showed some dissatisfaction after being stopped suddenly.


Sariel: I'm available, but I do not plan to waste my time here.


You: It's not a waste, definitely not a waste.


I was spooked out from his stares, but I still decided to shake my head.


Sariel: Really? I don't quite trust your judgement on wastage.



You: ...... You see, I just picked up your pen, isn't this a teeny tiny favor too?


Sariel: Are you trying to bargain with me?


You: Of course not! Just please wait for me for about two minutes, no, one minute! I have something to show you, please!


Sariel frowned after hesitating for some time, and finally nodded lightly.



Suppressing the urge to cheer in joy, I quickly sprinted to my office. Pulling out my flaxen top hat, and sprinted out from the office like the winds.


Just like what Sariel said, there are many things that are 'unnecessary'. Just like, the competition has already ended, but I still can't help myself but to amend the designs of my hat, hoping that I might have a chance to show it to him, telling him that I am not staying stagnant without moving forward.


As I stopped my footsteps, Sariel is looking at me while holding off the door, under the gentle lights, his eyes brightened in seriousness.



Sariel: I hope you don't let me feel that I've wasted this 1 minute and 29 seconds.


I waved my hand as I panted, carefully taking out the top hat from my arms.


You: This... Is something I've remade from your feedback.


Sariel slightly stunned, looking rather surprised. Unknowing how long it has passed, just when I thought he's expressing his rejection with silence, Sariel spoke.


You: Using flaxen as the main fabric, reducing the overall circumference, taking both toughness and drape into consideration. Sewing the long vines made of chiffon around the gold ornaments to reduce its abruptness.


The happiness meter has been rising higher and higher, and I can't help myself but to nod at what he said. After being silent for a few seconds, a mocking smile has climbed onto Sariel's face.



Sariel: Are you expecting me to say these?


You: Ah? Isn't that the truth...?


Sariel: This is merely a small part of the truth. I wanted to emphasize that, your craftmanship is too terrible, that you've destroyed the elegance from the flaxen completely. I can guarantee, if you wear it right now, it will not look like you're planning to attend a banquet, but more like you're going to work in a paddy field. Also these coarse vines, you might as well as use real ones. Since not everyone could see what they are.


I held onto my top hat, drooping my head, unsure of what else to say.


Sariel: If there's something you'd like to refute or explain, you can say them out.


Although I'm disheartened, but I shook my head. I know he wasn't brushing me off or to demotivate me, because the issues he pointed out are indeed a mistake on my part. I kept my top hat, quickly adjusted my mood and looked into his eyes.


You: Thank you for your guidance, Director Qi. I will keep improving it. Can I show this to you again next time after I've improvise it?


I thought Sariel would turn around and walk away without minding what I've said, but he didn't. He only stood there quietly, drooping his glance towards me.



Sariel: Do you think that if you will completely understand what I said by only deciphering whatever I said on your own?


He tugged my sleeves without letting me to retaliate, and headed towards the workshop next door. I suddenly got confused, and allowed him to drag me away.



Standing by the workstation, Sariel quickly pulled out a couple of materials that are similar to my top hat. He gently rolled up his sleeves, and started to tailor the white lace. As the lace slowly falls onto the ground, the golden rays from the sun came through the windows, showing the features of his serious side profile. Even the pair of cold eyes are now dyed with a layer of tenderness that is just right.


I slowed down my breath, carefully looking at each step he made, not even daring to blink for a single moment. The time seemed to have slowed down, with only the cutting sounds of the scissors left in the air.



Very quickly, a delicate white lace top hat appeared before me. Besides the color, everything are almost the same as what I've made. No, I should say that it's the perfect version after correcting whatever problems that was supposed to be fixed.


Sariel: Do you understand after seeing now?


So... In order for me to understand the failed parts, he's purposely demonstrating it to me?


As soon as my fingertips touched the soft white lace, the disappointment accumulated in my heart has all disappeared.


You: It's so beautiful, thank you for teaching me.


Sariel: You've think too much. I just didn't want to waste my time to see semi-finished products each time.


You: ..... Regardless the reason, I will definitely make sure to impress you next round.


Sariel: Are you sure?


You: Yeah, I'll learn from this, if I can't make it well then I'll keep making it until I could master it.


Sariel: ... Do you really want to prove yourself to others?


I nodded, then after realizing something, I shook my head immediately.


You: It's not that I'm trying to prove something, just that since I didn't do well and I finally knew what went wrong, I should improvise it. Of course... If the finished work could be recognized by someone, I will be even happier. Especially if it's from you.


Sariel measured me up quietly. After some time, he pursed the corner of his lips, making a tiny curve upwards.


Sariel: ... I'll look forward to it.


The busy afternoon has came to an end, unconsciously, the time has pointed at 1pm. I've already had a promise to have lunch with An An on my first day at work, looking at the time right now, she has probably been waiting downstairs for quite a while.



Mao Ge: Wanna go for lunch together?


You: I'm so sorry Mao Ge, I have already made a promise with my friend, she's waiting for me downstairs.


Mao Ge: It's alright, do you want me to recommend tasty stuff around here?


You: Are there any recommendations? We are not too familiar with the area around here.


Mao Ge: Then you've came to the right person. Within 5km around here, there isn't a shop that I don't have a membership with! The skewers from Sis Zhang's roadside stall, Wang's Luroufan that is located three streets behind our office... Also the small saury wontons from the alley that is on the left side after exiting our office building, they are all a must. Come come come, here's the membership card, don't need to thank me.


Just like that, I brought a bunch of membership cards, and sat down with An An in the Luroufan restaurant that has simple decorations.




An An: I'm already so hungry that I could eat a horse, why are you having your lunch so late on the first day of your new job?


[Choice]




Light: I don't find it tough

Night: It does feel a little tough


[Light Choice: I don't find it tough]



You: Although there are many things going on, but they are all related to design, it's something I like, so I don't think it's tough.


[Night Choice: It does feel a little tough]


You: It's a little tough, since it wasn't even this busy during my internship period.


I sipped on the tea, and told An An on the rich experience happened in the entire morning. First caught by Sariel for a 'test', starting work without even getting used to it, and in the process I've managed to learn how to adjust my top hat.



An An: All I could say that it's as expected of Warson, the working pace is so quick!


You: But it feels pretty challenging. Also everyone are working hard towards something they like, so the atmosphere is great.




An An: That's great to hear, I was worried that you're not used to it. Right, you haven't told me why you've decided to join Warson.


You: Before I could start my personal brand, I still needed to learn and accumulate a lot of experience, so I wanted to brush up my skills at somewhere great.


An An: So you won't go back to overseas? Would your father even agree?


An An understood my situation, when I was in primary school, my parents have divorced. So I've been living with my mother and grandmother, so the word 'father' is merely a noun that I do not have a deep impression with.


But after they have left me, and I has yet to be an adult, my father was forced to fetch me to live with him overseas.


You: He have promised that he'll not bother about me after I've graduated, also...


I hesitated, but I could not fight against the worries shown in An An's eyes, so I could only lower my voice as I whisper to her ear.


An An: Engagement?!


You: Shh...


An An stood up in complete shock, that the stool let out a loud screech, the diners have all turned around to look at us. I quickly pressed her back into the seat, putting an index finger up to signal her to lower her voice.


You: Well he suddenly told me he has arranged an engagement reception. Then he also said that it has been agreed on both sides that we'll be married after my graduation.


An An: I suddenly don't know what to say... Have you seen that person before?


You: No, I have only heard that he's a 50-year old flirty man with full of temper.


An An: For goodness' sake, is this the so-called business marriage? Your dad can't possibly think that you should repay him just because he took care of you for few years, right? Then what do you plan to do?


You: Of course I can't agree. He wanted to control my future life without my consent, this is too ridiculous. But he won't care about my retaliation, even took my paperwork, it took me a lot of effort to purchase a flight ticket to come back...


An An: No wonder you're back all of a sudden. It's alright, since you're now back, I'll look out for you from now on! How about this, you stay at my house! I've originally thought that the place you're staying right now is a long journey to Warson, it'll affect your working mood. Also, with your poor sense of direction, I'm afraid that you'll suddenly be lost while walking somewhere.


You: It isn't that bad... I'm looking for apartments recently too, it's just not easy to find...


An An: Then you need to be careful when you're looking for an apartment, the securities recently aren't that great since there are multiple cases of assault.


You: Assault?


An An: Yeah, it's all sudden assaults on people who walk in the night, I've even heard that...


An An got closer to me, talking in a mysterious tone.



An An: After the victims fainted, their neck has a weird bite mark, as if their blood has been sucked away by vampires!


You: This is the 21st century, how are there things so mysterious going on?


An An: Whether if it's true or not, it isn't wrong to be more careful.


You: Sure sure! Once I've found a room, you can come over to live anytime!


An An: It feels like we're back to the times in high school! So nice, we can finally shop and eat together again! Boss, I wanted another portion of salted chicken, celebrate my baby to finally start her new chapter in life.


An An and I laughed together, the sunlight of the end of spring passed through the old-fashioned curtains to shine throughout the entire restaurant, suddenly I have a misconception that I've returned to the carefree times during schooling times.


It's past 2pm when I've walked out of the restaurant. After seeing An An off from the cab, I quickly walk towards the office. Under the plane tree not far away behind me, a man quietly stood there. After seeing all in his eyes, he quickly dashed into an alley, pressing the button of the communication device in his waist.



Man: Master Zha, the situation is roughly like this.


The electronic music stops suddenly, a deep voice the sounded, with an unhappy tone.


??: She's commented on me in such a manner? Ridiculous. Don't move abruptly, just watch her closely without her finding out. Send me the information of Warson.


Man: Yes. Master Zha, should I bring her back? This marriage escape has really ruined your reputation--


A light mocking laugh has came through from the other side of the communication device.


??: No rush, I wanted to see what she actually wanted to do.



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.