Main Story Ch. 5-13 - His Boundaries (他的边界线) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

8/23/2021 12:02:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


Read 5-10 here


 

After bidding farewell to Aunty Xu, we strolled casually in the alley. The breeze is gentle, and the clouds are thin, with the faint scent of sophora blooms lingering in the air.


On the sides of the alley, there are old men gathered together to play chess, and children running past s with bubble guns.



You: Why were you at the show venue today? Was it for a work visit?


Evan: Mhm. Tomorrow will be the time to display the results, so I went there to have a look. 


He is indeed caring about this grand show very much, my instincts are telling me that he is currently in a situation that is a thousand times more difficult that I am facing. I then remembered the article again. Evan has probably seen it too, right? What would he think?


You: Evan.


Evan: Hmm?


You: Here, there are very deep dark circles.


I pointed under my eyes, but Evan shook his head, completely unbothered.


You: But it's obvious that you're lacking sleep...



Evan: This is very normal, don't worry.


I don't know where I've mustered my courage from, and I tugged onto his sleeves.


You: You're always telling me not to restrain myself before you, yet I feel that you have never relaxed yourself either. Sometimes I would even feel that there is a layer of glass blocking between your world and ours, transparent yet unapproachable. But I don't want to be the one that always get my anxiety eased all the time, I too, am willing to listen to your troubles.


Evan startled as he looked at me, looking a little confused, and even a little surprised.


Evan: Listen... to my troubles?


You: Mhm, I will be a good listener.


I looked at him firmly, until I saw him drooping his gaze and smiled.


You: So are you worried about the grand show this round?


Evan: Yes, but also no.


You: Thank you for insisting to allow newbies to participate in the grand show. This has given us great recognition and motivation.


Evan: No need to thank me, it's just Warson must be replaced with fresh blood. Being conservative is the product of comfort, in order to begin a revolution, giving up comfort over the years is a must. Those who hesitate to move forward will be abandoned over time.


You: Are there anything that you can assign to me? I can run errands and do ad hoc tasks! As long as I could help you, even if it's just by a little, and your troubles could be ease for even just a single bit, I will feel that my efforts are working.


Evan: ... Why? Is it because I've helped you many times?


I subconsciously nodded, then after giving it a thought, I shook my head again.



You: Even if you haven't helped me before, I'd still want to help you. Because you are someone I respect and admire, someone decisive with a clear goal, where there are no problems that will trouble you. I can't become someone like that, so I hope people like you can have their wishes granted.


Evan looked at me for a long time without saying a word, I have never seen such gentle expression from his face before. He raised an arm, and ruffled my hair heavily.


Evan: Thank you. But... Taking a good care of yourself is the greatest aid to me.


His gaze brushes over the back of my hand, and returned to his teasing tone.



You: I'm taking care of myself pretty well.


Evan: Oh? Is that so? Then why did I see a dejected young lady by the sink just now? If you had a tail, it'd droop all the way to the floor.


I opened my mouth wanting to refute, but I realized I can't refute his words at all.


You: But how did you happen to head to the sink?


Evan: It's strange to speak about this. I was about to leave, but I seemed to have suddenly heard a young lady calling out my name.


You: Why does it sound like some sort of summoning spell...


Could it be when I was muttering to myself? But I was so quiet just now, how could he have heard it?



Evan: What if I told you that I could actually do it, would you believe it?


You: ... Weren't you joking?


Evan suddenly slowed down his steps and turned over. His eyes reflects my confused look.


Evan: When have I ever joked to you?


The gentle breeze brushes past us just in time, and raising the ends of his brown hair. The colorful bubbles wafted between us along with the winds, making Evan's features to look so ever unreal.



Evan: As long as you believe in it, I will be your spell from now on. Now, I'll grant you the permission of usage.


I've been thinking about what he said as we walked all the way until the car. My phone vibrated all of a sudden, and pulled my train of thoughts back to reality.



It's an internal company email. The email title writes "The Venus in the dark night, waiting to crown the dawn -- We sincerely invite you to participate a private banquet of the Lu family."


You: ... Lu family's banquet?


I looked at Evan in confusion, but judging from his expressions, it seems like he didn't know about it either.


Opening the attachment, a pure black letter paper gradually opened on my screen, a short sentence is written in the middle of the invitation letter.


"Designer Y/N, we sincerely invite you to participate the Lu's family banquet at 12pm tomorrow at Silverlion Castle."


On the bottom right hand corner of the invitation, an elegant name is signed on it, it's 'Lu Ting'.


Lu Ting? Lu Ting?!


I suddenly remembered what Mao Ge has said in the past. The Lu family will hold a yearly banquet. On the banquet, there will be celebrities and famous designers in the industry that will be invited.


But I'm just a newbie starting off in this industry, how could such a heavenly opportunity fall onto me?!


Evan: What's wrong?


You: This invitation letter invited me to participate the Lu family's banquet at 12pm tomorrow...


Evan turned a little quiet, and he frown ever so lightly, that it's almost unnoticeable. 


 You: Evan?


Evan: I'm sorry, I was distracted. There is indeed such a banquet, you don't have to be surprised. Don't worry, it will not delay the grand show at night.


You: So that's how it is...


However, I'm unsure why I am still feeling rather anxious about it.


Evan: What's wrong? Are there any concerns?


[Choice]



Night: I really wanted to go.

Light: Is there something wrong with the invitation?



[Night Choice: I really wanted to go.]


You: I heard that there will be some famous celebrities who will be participating, so I'm really tempted.


Evan: Since you wanted to attend, then attend it. Don't be nervous, I believe you'll perform very well.




[Light Choice: Is there something wrong with the invitation?]


You: I heard that there will be some famous celebrities who will be participating, so I'm really tempted. But I'm only a newbie designer, how could I be invited?


Evan: The invitation of the Lu family will never be sent wrongly. So don't doubt your talent and potentials. Or should I put it as, you don't wish to attend?


You: I don't think I can reject it, right? Since it's an invitation from the board of directors.


Evan: You always have the right to reject it. If you don't wish to attend, just let me know and I'll settle it for you.


His tone was calm, it's just like how he's asking for the current time.


At that instant, I suddenly remembered what Mao Ge has said, and remembered those rumors between him and Lu Ting. Although he's said that, but to help me to reject such a grand invitation, it'd be quite difficult, no?


You: It's alright! I think I'll attend it!



You: About that, will you be attending?


Evan: Do you want me to attend it?


You: Yeah... I only know you, so I worry that I'll be too nervous. Don't overthink it!


Evan: Alright, I will not overthink it. I'll pick you up at 10am tomorrow.


After sending the girl back to the show venue, the edges of Evan's lips remained curved up, and only drooped after quite a while.


His gaze stopped over the invitation letter in the phone's screen, and frowned slightly.



Evan: Was it found out...?


After being in deep thoughts, he dialed a number.


Evan: Zhou Yan, the information is leaked, find out who the traitor is.


Zhou Yan: Alright.


The car drives into the flow of traffic, driving into the now dim, grey skies.


Chapter 5-15 can now be read here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.