Main Story Ch. 6-03 - The Cage and the Soaring Bird (囚笼与飞鸟) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

8/31/2021 02:22:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 6-01... (Read here)


Manman: Oh my god! You're even going to be on the magazine supplement cover! You're going to be famous Y/N!


Manman shouted by my ear in excitement. I repetitively read the words n the appointment letter, and I'm feeling floaty, as if I'm struck by the lottery jackpot.


You: But... Why do they want to interview me?


Manman: Of course it's because of the extraordinary success of the grand show! The shoe you've designed has received so much of praise in the industry.


Mao Ge: Let me tell you, there was someone who have hesitated and missed an interview from our Group A, and the chance ended up falling on Group B. This chance is rare, you must grab it!


You: Yeah! I'll prepare well!




Following everyone's suggestions, I wrote a detailed draft beforehand.



You: I am Y/N from Warson Group, is a new fashion designer in this industry...


As the sunlight being gradually replaced by the colors of the sunset, the bustling flow of people could be seen from outside of the window.


You: My ambition to become a fashion designer originated from my grandmother, she was an exceptional seamstress, when I was 7...


The last sliver of light has dimmed from the edges of the skies, and the stars have began to brighten up as the crescent moon hangs high up in the night skies, there are already no one else on the streets.


The clock has now pointed to 12AM, and Mao Ge is lying on the sofa and sleeping soundly.


You: Self introduction, inspiration of design, future prospects... what else did I miss?


Although the draft paper is already completely filled, but I still feel that there's something missing.


You: I have heard of such sentence, clothes are the very first rebel from humans to Gods. Gods created humans with a naked body, yet humans have weaved plants into clothing. Should I put it in such a deep manner? Or should I make it simple? Ah... Can someone come over to save me?


Mao Ge: Director, I didn't procrastinate on the draft, my house was really on fire...


Mao Ge turned over, as if he is having a nightmare, even when his features have crumpled together, his expressions are still extraordinarily sincere. If I were Sariel, I would've believed in him.


Wait! Was he mentioning about... Sariel?


I suddenly had an idea in mind. Can I ask for his guidance? He wouldn't be refusing to help his student's interview, right...?


However, as soon as Sariel's mocking smile appeared before my mind, an alarm sounded loudly in my heart.



You: No way no way no way no way! He will activate his 'sharp tongue' ability! I'd rather be extracting a tiger's tooth!



10 minutes later-- a head has popped from the entrance of Sariel's office.


You: The lights are still on, he probably hasn't left yet...


I took a deep breath, and gave myself enough mental preparation.


You: After going in, don't refute whatever he says, from now on, Sariel is the God, everything he says are right!



??: When did I say something that isn't right?


You: !



I immediately raised my head, and I didn't even know when the door in front of me has been opened. Sariel's standing under the doorframe with his arms crossed before him.


You: You scared me to death...



Sariel: Did you do something shameful?


You: Of course not.


Sariel: Only those who are doing bad things will be having such a guilty conscience.


You: Well wasn't that because you're always making a sound all of a sudden.


Sariel scoffed lightly, walked towards his seat, picking his cup of tea and took a light sip.


You: Director, it's already 12AM, I didn't expect you to still be in the office.



Sariel: I wouldn't have expected for people to look for me at 12AM either.


You: I was just originally trying my luck, and it ends up that you're really here.


Sariel: It was just a coincidence that there's a design draft that has to be amended by today.


You: Then I really didn't come at the right time, sorry...


What a good timing for me to arrive, I could actually find him working time! Please let him overtime a little more!



Sariel: But no matter how I've looked at your expressions, rather than looking sorry, why am I seeing that you're looking very happy instead? You're probably also praying quietly so that I'll work overtime a little longer, right?


Was it that obvious?


I quickly squeezed out a sincere smile, then pouted some water into Sariel's tea mug as if I was trying to please him.


You: Director, you're really passionate, diligent and hard-working--


Sariel: Of all people, it's always you who's disturbing me. Just say it, what brings you here?


I placed down the teapot, and stood politely.


You: Actually I have a teeny tiny matter that I'd like to request for your guidance.


Sariel is still drinking his tea, not nodding nor shaking his head, as if he has given his permission silently. I quickly handed my draft to him.


You: I received an interview appointment today, this is the draft I've prepared.



Sariel: Interview? Why would there be people interviewing a rookie?


You: ...! Everyone are saying my performance this time wasn't bad, it's considered something witnessed by everyone.



Sariel: Just because you've got on a show, and you are already this happy. I'm guessing your face is made of titanium.


Your face is the one that is made of diamond!*


*T/N: Fun fact! Titanium is not stronger than a diamond. In terms of hardness, Titanium is not harder than a diamond. On the hardness scale, titanium is 36 Rockwell C, while diamond is 98.07 Rockwell C. So MC thinks that Sariel is more thick-skinned than she is.


Despite saying so, he still took the draft papers.


Sariel: Which magazine?


You: City fashion Magazine.


Sariel then frowned, it seems like he's trying to search for this name in his mind.


You: Isn't it pretty good?


Sariel: I've never heard of it.



You: ... Oh.


Sariel: I'm guessing that it's probably a rookie magazine company, just like you.



You (pouting): That's not it, at least their taste isn't bad, and chose to interview me...


I quietly refuted, but Sariel has stopped talking, and seriously flipped through the draft papers. Although he usually doesn't put on any expressions, but throughout the days we've spent together, I noticed that the changes of his brows will always betray his true feelings.


Just like right now-- He frowned.


... It can't be because I've wrote so badly, right?


Just when I nervously clenched the hem of my shirt, his frown soothes out again.


No wait, why did he frown again!?


I feel that my mood has been like a roller coaster ride, going up and down along with Sariel's expressions.


Finally, he has finished reading the draft.



Sariel: It's just an interview draft, and you've actually written 10 whole pages?


You: I'm thinking that it's my first interview, so I wanted to face it with a serious manner.


Sariel pinched between his brows, it seems like he is having a complexed mood. He flipped over the draft paper, and his gaze suddenly stopped behind it.



Sariel: Even attaching a proof of your inexperience.


You: ?


His fingertips pointed towards the back of the draft paper, only then I've realized that I forgot to erase the previous version of my draft!


You: Don't look at that!



Sariel: When I was seven, I began to dream of wanting to become a designer because of my grandmother. Although I didn't know what it is like to be a designer, but I feel that they always have the greatest magic.



You (flustering): Don't read it out anymore!


Feeling embarrassed, I wanted to stop him. But Sariel was unfazed, as he continue to read it word by word with a calm expression.


Sariel: Each time I see the smiles from the customers after changing into new clothes, I also feel that I'm filled with courage and happiness. The other person that have guided is called Sariel--


[Choice]



Night: Snatch the draft paper over

Light: Quibble



[Night Choice: Snatch the draft paper over]


You: Give it back!


I snatched the draft over and held it to my chest, my face is now boiling hot.


Sariel: If I didn't remember it wrongly, there was a certain fella that have been pestering me to look at it.


You: I didn't let you to look at the back... These are all the previous versions of the draft!


I glanced at him with a guilty conscience, but Sariel have instead leaned to his chair, and even shook his legs a little, seemingly in a pleasant mood.


What's there to be happy about? What is he smiling for?


[Light Choice: Quibble]


You: No, no, that's not it!


Sariel: Then what is it? It's written so clearly in black and white.


You: These are what I've simply wrote, they don't count!


Sariel: So you weren't thinking that way?


You: ... Well... that wasn't it too...


I quickly snatched the draft paper and glanced at him with a guilty conscience, but Sariel have instead leaned to his chair, and even shook his legs a little, seemingly in a pleasant mood.


What's there to be happy about? What is he smiling for?



Sariel: Do you plan to use this draft during the interview?


You: Can't I? Of course except for the part you read out just now.


Sariel: Remove all of those boring life journey and wordy mental journey away. Place your focus on the preparation for the grand show. Nobody will be interested to the past of somebody that hasn't succeeded, do you understand?


You: Why is that?


Sariel calmly walked towards me, and leaned to me slightly.


I subconsciously paused my breath, and took a step backwards.



Sariel: With that, the fact that you're a rookie will immediately be known to the world.


You: ......


Right at the moment when I was stunned, Sariel took the opportunity to take the draft paper from my hands.


Sariel: Sariel is the Polaris of my designer's journey, because of him, I wanted to look into a broader scene for the very first time.



Reading till this point, a sliver of faint smile flow past his eyes.


Sariel: Although he has been cold most of the time, and even having a supercilious demeanor...



That bit of smile immediately disappeared without a trace.


Sariel: Speaking without mercy, always dissing people until they go speechless...


His expressions darkens further.


Feeling my guilty conscience kicking in, I moved my steps, and quietly walked towards the door. However, just when I'm only half a step away from the exit, Sariel has already reached out an arm and closed the door.


His expressions darkened, to the extent I could even feel cold air exuding from his entire body.



You: Director, you've mistaken, there's a 'but' after that! Look! I've placed a lot of effort praising you after this part! Also the part earlier were meant to be amended, I'll immediately go back and amend it!


I snatched the draft back, and escaped before Sariel could even voice anything out.


After the girl's figure have disappeared for quite a while, Sariel's arm is still supporting against the door, not budging for even the slightest bit. Until the bright moonlight gradually brightens the French windows, he turned his head over, and looked at his face reflected on the glass.


The lips that have curved downwards, with angry-looking eyes.


"Although he has been cold most of the time, and even having a supercilious demeanor."



Facing the windows, Sariel's lips subconsciously curved up, putting on an extremely unnatural smile over his face.


Then he startled slightly, and quickly flatten the corners of his lips, turned over, as if the actions earlier were extremely embarrassing.



Sariel: .... Silly.


The vibrating phone broke the silence, a weak voice could be heard from the speaker.


Lizard: Lao Qi, when are you coming back? I'm so hungry I could go crazy... It can't be that you've collapsed from dizziness again right? What's wrong with you? Always staying in the office until so late, how about you consider the automatic feeder that I've suggested last time?



Sariel: Shut up.


Lizard: Okay okay okay, looks like you're in a bad mood. I won't urge you anymore. I've made a doctor's appointment for you, I'll sleep first...



Sariel: No need to sleep, just in time, there's something that I need you to do.


Lizard: ... Hey! You can't bully people like this!




Chapter 6-05 can now be read here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.