Main Story Ch. 6-01 - The Cage and the Soaring Bird (囚笼与飞鸟) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

8/30/2021 04:04:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please check out the LIGHT END and NIGHT END of Chapter 5!



The Cage and the Soaring Bird (囚笼与飞鸟) 




"My chest is fully filled with sands and stones, hence the only things I wished to see are only the wilderness, the tall mountains, and the soaring birds."






Staff A: Did you hear about the rumors? The designer that went onto the grand show from Group A has been exceptionally weird recently!


Staff B: What? Spill the tea!


Staff C: Didn't you see it? Ever since that day she has been wearing leather gloves to work, and she'll dodge anyone that closes up to her.


Staff B: ... Why does she have to do that?


Staff A: Well, she's a designer, so it's appropriate to protect her hands a little more. But there's no need to be this exaggerating.


Staff C: I've even seen something more exaggerating! She was eating back then, and after taking off the leather gloves, there's actually ANOTHER pair of gloves!


Right now, I'm standing outside of the pantry as I overheard the conversation, with sweat all across my forehead.


Looking at the dried teabag in my cup, I let out a sigh, then turned away to leave.






You: If I weren't forced to do so, I wouldn't even want to wear such a thick pair of gloves either...




??: Y/N, you're finally back! Your hand didn't bump into anything did you?!


Before I could even step into the office, Mao Ge has already begun shouting as he rushes towards me and observed my hands.


Mao Ge: That's good, what a relief, the ring is fine.


Hao Shuai: I think Mao Ge is going to lodge a police report if you aren't going to come back any sooner.


You: I was just out to fetch a cup of water--


Mao Ge: If it's for such a trivial matter like fetching water, you could just ask me to do that for you!


He quickly took over my cup, and pulled out a giant vacuum flask of hot waters.



Hao Shuai: Ever since you said you're wearing an ancestral ring that is extremely pricey yet you couldn't take it off, Mao Ge can't wait to turn into Thumbelina to live in your pocket to watch the ring for you.


Mao Ge: That's right, I've found another remedy to take rings off, this time it'll work for sure!


Mao Ge crossed his hands, and sincerely made a praying gesture, then handed the cup to me.


You: I'm sorry, I've troubled all of you...


And even lying to all of you.


I lifted the cup with some difficulty, and my thoughts went back to a week ago.


That was the night when the grand show ends, with the dazzling fireworks long gone. The entire city seems to have fallen into deep sleep, quiet, and serene.


As I sat in the car, my heart that was full of joy had calmed down, and the mystery behind that ring in my finger have resurfaced again.



You: This ring... Why did Evan entrust it to me?


Click. The car door is opened.


Evan: I'm sorry, I've kept you waiting.


Evan sat on the driver's seat. He looks like he's a little tired, but he's still showing me a gentle smile.


Come and think of it, to change the model at the very last minute, Evan has indeed shouldered great amount of stress as the person in charge.


You: I should be the one to apologize, if it weren't for me, you wouldn't have to be busy until now. But no matter what I did, I really couldn't take it off...



Evan: Let me have a look?


Evan's hand is very cold. My heart can't help but to tremble on his touch. 


He tried to take the ring off, but it didn't help with the situation.


Evan: Looks like it's indeed unable to be taken off.


You: Then- Then what should we do?


I can't help myself but to panic, and I've finally started to feel helpless. But this is too ridiculous, how can a ring be unable to be taken off?


Evan: I think it's not because it's stuck, but due to some other reasons.


You: Other reasons?


Evan's expressions became a little stern. He examined the ring carefully, as if he's thinking about something important. 


His hand covers over the back of my hand, and the warmth has passed through, and surrounded my fingertips.



By the time he kept his hand back, the ring that was shining in crimson suddenly became bright white, and even the shape has changed, and it didn't look a single bit like how it originally was.


You: ?!


I subconsciously looked into his eyes, and in the pair of apologetic and helpless eyes, there was a flash of scarlet that hasn't fade in time.



Osborn: "Generally speaking, when the Strains use their abilities, their pupils will turn red."*


*T/N: Refer Chapter 4-01.


Although I didn't completely see it clearly, but I already have an idea in my heart, Evan probably belongs to the Strains. And it seems like he has noticed my thoughts, and his expressions have showed a type of rejection with "I don't wish to talk about this matter" written all over his face.


Evan: Until I'm able to find the method of taking off the ring, please take a good care of it for me.


[Choice]



Night: How long will I have to keep it?

Light: I'll take good care of it



[Night Choice: How long will I have to keep it?]


You: Then how long do I need to keep it?


Evan: I'm sorry, I'm unable to give you a specific time at the moment, but I will look for the solution as soon as possible.


I nodded, and subconsciously covered the ring.


Evan: Don't be afraid, I will not let you wait for too long, I promise.


His voice is deep, yet unusually firm.


You: ... Okay! I will look for a pair of thick gloves and wear it, and protect it well until you can take off the ring for me!


Evan gently ruffled my hair.


Evan: Then I'll first thank this brave young lady here in advance. Let's go, I'll send you home.



[Light: I'll take good care of it]


I hesitated for a moment, and I chose not to question further.


You: Don't worry, I will not tell it around! Since if I've actually lost the ring, I'll never be able to repay it for my entire life... I will look for a pair of thick gloves and wear it, and protect it well until you can take off the ring for me!



Evan: Then if I kept on being unable to look for a method to take it off, then wouldn't you have to wear them for your entire life?


Evan winked at me, his eyes are shining brightly.


I stunned, and my cheeks immediately started burning, and shook my head like a rattle drum.


You: Anyway... I'll take good care of it, don't worry.


Evan: Mm. I know. Let's go, I'll send you home. You've been busy for this long, you must be tired. Have a good sleep.



You: It's already been a week, I wonder if Evan has found a way.


Ever since that day, I've never seen Evan in the office. I have sent him messages and also called him, but he surprisingly did not respond to me.


You: I kept feeling there's something happening to him...



Mao Ge: Don't worry, Y/N, we're here, so nothing will happen! Look at this Mao Ge that have been in Warson for so many years, I'm still reliable when it comes to protecting a ring.


Thud, thud, thud-- 


There's a sudden knock on the door, and Mao Ge that was so confident jumped up in reflex, rushing to the entrance as if he's facing a great enemy.


??: Is Y/N in? I'm Director Lu Ting's assistant. Director Lu Ting is looking for you, please follow me.


Mao Ge looked at me in surprise, and threw a glance at me to ask for my opinion.


You: May I ask what would the matter be?


Assistant: Director Lu Ting didn't mention anything about it, only saying it's something very important, so please follow me over there as soon as possible.


As soon as possible? But except for the banquet on the other day, no matter if it's for work or in life, there's not a single bit of interaction between the two of us.


I can't help myself but to recall the dark atmosphere between him and Evan, and began to feel nervous.


Mao Ge walked towards me in nimble steps, and patted on my shoulder.



Mao Ge:  What's wrong? Director Lu Ting is looking for you, don't you want to hurry up and go?


I quickly shook my head, but I don't know how to explain to Mao Ge.


Mao Ge: I know, are you worried that he'll reprimand you for being the model for the finale?


I simply nodded.


Mao Ge: That's quite possible, ever since President Lu has took over the design center, Lu Ting has almost never questioned anything over this side. Looking for you all of a sudden, and in such a hurry too, nobody would dare to go over indeed.



Manman: Then what can we do? Y/N can't say no either.


Assistant: Ms. Y/N, may I ask if you can follow me over already?


The other party behaved so eagerly, that I can't help but to feel suspicious on why Lu Ting was looking for me. 


Mao Ge: How about... pretending to be sick? Can you do that?


Without waiting for my answer, Mao Ge has covered his mouth and immediately started coughing.



Mao Ge: About that, Y/N is sick, she's having a serious cold, and is worried that she'll infect Director Lu Ting--


Assistant: Please do not put me in a difficult situation and follow me over as soon as possible.


You: ......


Should I really just go there head on? What should I do...


Just when we are frowning, the sounds of footsteps could be heard from the corridor again.



??: I'm terribly sorry, Ms. Y/N can't go with you. Please go back, Assistant Lin.


... Zhou Yan?


Assistant Lin: But Director Lu Ting has already ordered--


Zhou Yan: I wonder if Director Lu Ting remembers, but President Lu is now the one in charge of the design center. If he has forgotten about it, I'd like to trouble you to remind him a little, Assistant Lin.


Assistant Lin went silent, and my nervousness have peaked so much I can feel my heart being stuck at my throat.


Assistant Lin: ... Assistant Zhou, thank you for your reminder. I will convey the message to Director Lu Ting.


Mao Ge pulled a slit open from the door, and I saw that Assistant Lin has nodded to Zhou Yan, then turned around and left.


Until his figure has completely disappeared from the corridor, Zhou Yan too, have left after closing the door. 



Mao Ge: Assistant Zhou is too cool! Wait no, it's our President Lu that's too cool! "President Lu is now the one who's in charge of the design center," look at the way he puts it, it's obviously saying "don't touch my territory".


Looking at the empty door right now, my mind is still a little fuzzy.


So I've passed just like that?


But why did Lu Ting want to look for me all of a sudden? Zhou Yan have also appeared just in time, this seems like it's all calculated. I kept feeling there's something off...


Yet before I can even untie the knots in my mind to figure things out... 


"Thud thud thud"-- 


Once again, a knocking sound could be heard from the door that was closed earlier.


You: Why visiting again?!


I looked towards the door nervously, but who appeared this time isn't Assistant Lin or Zhou Yan, but the HR that is carrying on a stack of documents.



HR: Is Y/N here? There's an appointment letter that is forwarded by the reception desk for you.


You: I'm here I'm here...


After letting out a breath in relief, I quickly walked forward and took the appointment letter.


Mao Ge popped over and examined it curiously.


Mao Ge: The City Fashion Magazine?


Manman: The name sounds a little familiar, is it the magazine company that received last year's award for being the most promising annual publication?



Mao Ge: Yes yes yes, that's the one.


You: Why haven't I heard about it before?


Mao Ge: You've just returned to this country, so you probably didn't know. Although this magazine company is established last year, but their "Fashion City" is selling very well. They even received an award by the end of year, so it's considered that they have a standing in the industry. Hey, quickly open it up and see what's written in it!


I opened the letter in confusion, and stunned for a few seconds after seeing the words printed on it.


You: They- They are inviting me to have a designer interview on Sunday morning?!



Manman: Oh my god! You're even going to be on the magazine supplement cover! You're going to be famous Y/N!


Manman shouted by my ear in excitement. I repetitively read the words n the appointment letter, and I'm feeling floaty, as if I'm struck by the lottery jackpot.


You: But... Why do they want to interview me?


Manman: Of course it's because of the extraordinary success of the grand show! The shoe you've designed has received so much of praise in the industry.


Mao Ge: Let me tell you, there was someone who have hesitated and missed an interview from our Group A, and the chance ended up falling on Group B. This chance is rare, you must grab it!


You: Yeah! I'll prepare well!




Chapter 6-03 can now be read here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.