Main Story Ch. 4-01 - A Miraculous Journey (爱德华之旅) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

8/02/2021 05:29:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on 3-20... (Read Here)


Zhou Yan: There's one more thing.  HCP18407 has also went into an abnormal berserk during daytime. The cause is currently unknown. Should we report this to master?


Evan turned over, looking towards the misty scene outside the window.


Evan: No need. Keep investigating.



 A Miraculous Journey (爱德华之旅)



"The journey of life is lonely, but I've now met you."







On the lively news feed of entertainment news, it's always filled with various types of information. From the divorce of top actress, till the fruitful outcome of a long journey of love by a viral celebrity, the search rankings are refreshed once every hour. As for today, however, the entire news feed is almost completely dominated by the news of Lin Yao's announcement to exit the entertainment industry.




Mao Ge: Y/N! Did you see it? Lin Yao is exiting from the entertainment industry!


I have just walked into the office, and Mao Ge has raised his phone and rushed before me, with the press conference of Lin Yao currently playing on the screen.


Lin Yao: I am terribly sorry to everyone that have been supporting me, but this is indeed the final result after giving it a long thought. From today onwards, I will terminate every acting activity. 


She's wearing the black feathered dress, with the butterflies on her sleeves flapping their wings along with her movements, just as how she speaks, raising a wave among the reporters. I did not expect that the dress that was prepared for the awards ceremony, have instead being used for a farewell.



Mao Ge: Why so sudden?! Weren't she looking quite normal when she was trying on the dress? Oh, could it be that the manager have forced her to do so?


You: But don't you think that she looked a little happier than before? Wanting to change for a new life, or having a newfound goal, no matter what, it's good as long as it's her own choice.


Just like the other day in the coffee shop, I could see a never before seen brilliance from her eyes. Even knowing that she has to bravely face the entire world from now on.



You: Actually I've been wanting to ask something, you said Bai Mu has disappeared, what does it really mean? Was he brought away by the 'blood tribe' that you guys mentioned before? What is 'the Strain'?



Osborn: Why is your curiosity so strong?


You: Not just curious... This incident is already somehow related to me. If I don't make things clear, I'll keep feeling that there's an itch in my heart.


Osborn placed his hands into his pocket, and sighed.


Osborn: The Strains, a group with special talents bounded by a familial strain of blood, they are... descendants of the Gods.


After a short pause, he used such a phrase.


You: God's... descendants?



Osborn: I don't know if it's really true too, it's just a legend.


I can't help but to look at my fingertips. According to the previous situation, I really do have a talent, could I also be...


Osborn: What are you thinking about? It doesn't mean you are part of the Strains as long as you have a talent. Generally speaking, when the Strains use their abilities, their pupils will turn red.


There's some images that I haven't been paying attention to have flashed past my mind, but I couldn't get a good hold of it.


Osborn: This world is far more complicated than you can see from the surface. From ancient times until now, besides the Strains*, Erdas*, and a part of humans too, have talents. I think it's probably our ancestors have relations with them, or due to various other reasons, who knows?


*T/N: The reason why I have decided to translate 血族 (lit. translation: blood tribe) as 'the Strains' is because they act like vampires and is coming from a long family bloodline, also with a slight reference to the horror series 'The Strain'. As for 灵族 (lit. translation: spiritual tribe) that I've decided to translate into 'Erda', because it's actually a reference to a game I used to play (MapleStory), where you can consider Erda as powerful spiritual beings that comes in various forms, and in the main quest we actually collect emotions and memory pieces to a tree as well! Other translators might translate them differently though!


You: Erda? What is that?


Osborn: Just like how it's named, they are the descendants of mythical beasts or sacred trees.


You: ! So they are all not... human?


Osborn: Indeed not, but they can exist in human forms. Why, you're finally feeling afraid now?


I summoned my courage as I shook my head, and immediately thought of something.


You: Wait... Osborn, you're human, right?


This question sounds so weird, Osborn stunned for a moment, and followed by a smile.



Osborn: Didn't you say that I'm just 'Osborn'? As for whether I'm part of the Strains or the Erdas... how about you take a guess? If you guessed wrongly, I'll eat you up.


He winked at me, soothing the bits of fear in my heart with a sly smile.


Whatever Osborn's identity is, at least I believe that this person who has been painting an incredible world alongside me would never hurt me.



Osborn said that there are still a part of humans that also have talents Then will there be someone just like that by my side-- I can't help myself but to poke Mao Ge.


You: Mao Ge, do you know what talent is?


Mao Ge: Of course.


You: ! You--



Mao Ge: I knew you wanted me to praise you, don't need to beat around the bush next time! The effects for Lin Yao's dress that you've made are really good, young miss, you really do have a lot of talent! 


I smiled awkwardly, and let out a breath in relief.


Mao Ge: I heard from Man Man that the new recruits meeting will happen later today, by then it'll announce the pairing for your mentor right? Your dress is so good, who knows if you might get selected by Director Qi! If that's the case you've gotta treat me some bubble tea~


You: Oh right, it's today!


I've been so busy recently that the world's started spinning around so much that I almost forgot such an important matter. Sis Zheng Lin has told me before, that each mentor will select their mentee according to their individual design work, hopefully this dress can bring me the result that I've been hoping for.


Looks like it's about the time. I simply tidied around a little, and rushed to the meeting room with Manman.



There are already many people seated in the meeting room, where everyone have gathered together in groups. The Gao Cheng that is sitting at the corner saw me, and immediately greeted me with a smile.



Manman: With this many new recruits, the competition for choice of mentor must be really tough... Please pray for me to be paired with the mentor I wanted!


Manman nervously crossed her fingers, and muttering non-stop.


You: Which tutor do you wish to be paired with?


Manman: I wanted to be mentored by Sis Zheng Lin, her designing style is my favorite. How about you?


You: I--


I leaned close to Manman's ear, and whispered the name to her.



Manman: Oh gosh, you're so brave! But that'd be harder than winning the grand prize from our annual dinner!


The meeting room's door is now pushed open, and Mya walked in with vigorous strides.



Mya: Are everyone here? We have limited time, so I'll announce the mentor pairing results.


Everyone held their breaths, nervously staring at the folder in her hand.


Mya: Shen XiaZi, mentored by Edward.


She's a designer from Group D, colleagues around her congratulated her with a smile.


Mya: Jiang Lai, mentored by Bob. Li Manman, mentored by Zheng Lin.



Manman: Yes!


Mya: Gao Cheng, mentored by Mya. Jin ShaoZhe, mentored by Sariel.



You: !


It's actually Sariel! I looked over with full of envy.


Until this point of announcement, most of the mentors have only selected a new recruit, do I still have hope...?


However, the familiar and unfamiliar names have echoed in the meeting room one by one, but I have not heard mine at all. I kept lowering my expectations, telling me that it's not a big deal, but my heart only gradually beats faster, and my hands that are on the table have subconsciously clenched.


Mya: Y/N--


I subconsciously closed my eyes.


Mya: Mentored by Sariel.


You: !



Manman: Oh my god, it's really Director Qi!


Manman grabbed onto my arm excitedly, that my body was shaking along with her movements, with my mind almost turned blank.


You: It's Sariel... That's great...


After she finished reading the name list, Mya closes the folder.


Mya: The pairing of mentor will be like this. Now I will announce another matter. One month later, the design center will organize a shoe design competition for all assistant designers and junior designers. The theme of the competition is high heels. The winning work in the competition will be displayed on the Warson Group's grand show.


Manman: We have a chance to go on the grand show?!


In a moment. the entire meeting room turned lively. Mya raised an arm to knock on the table, but a rare encouraging smile has also appeared on her face.


Mya: I believe that all of you have known, there will be a grand show that will be organized every 10 years since Warson's establishment. It's a conclusion to the past 10 years, and also to show the future prospects of the company. It's a grand event for the entire group as well as the industry. In the past years, assistants and junior designers can only participate as an assistant, but for this year, the board of directors have decided to give more chances to you. 



Mya: The grand show's theme have been decided as 'Spring'. As Warson's 120th Anniversary Grand Show, besides displaying the usual, it will also exhibit the symbol of Warson in the finale for the very first time, so it is too, a priceless treasure in the fashion industry. This is a very rare chance, and perhaps it'll be the one and only chance in your entire career, I hope all of you can grab this chance well.


After Mya left, our colleagues from the HR department continued explaining the company's culture and systems. However, it's rather obvious that everyone's attention is no longer here. I held onto my chin, and drew a shoe's silhouette.


You: The competition is open for all assistants and junior designers, and there is only a single person that can win...


The initial excitement has passed. I placed down my pencil, and examined the shoe I just drew. A plain shake of shoe, with plain material, with plain pattern


Although I've made many clothes, but whether it was in school or during internship, my shoemaking experience is pitifully little.


You: ... Need to look for more references. Right! There should be something over there!




Chapter 4-03 can now be read here!


Meanwhile, check out other translations for Light and Night here!

Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.