Main Story Ch. 6-05 - The Cage and the Soaring Bird (囚笼与飞鸟) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

9/05/2021 10:21:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 6-03... (Read here)


Sariel: Interview? Why would there be people interviewing a rookie?

.

.

Sariel: It's just an interview draft, and you've actually written 10 whole pages?

.

.

MC: Director, you've mistaken, there's a 'but' after that! Look! I've placed a lot of effort praising you after this part! Also the part earlier were meant to be amended, I'll immediately go back and amend it!



By the time I've finished amending the draft, I've missed the last train home.



As soon as I walked out from Warson's entrance, I could immediately see Zhou Yan rushed into the building with a box in his hand.


I wasn't able to call him in time during the afternoon, and I've missed out on the opportunity to question him, thankfully I can see him again.


You: Assistant Zhou, please wait for a moment!


Zhou Yan stopped his footsteps, turned over quietly as he waited for me to speak.



You: Do you know where President Lu is currently at? I'm unable to contact him.


Zhou Yan: President Lu has headed to London three days ago.


You: London? Then did he say when he'll be back?



Zhou Yan: He didn't. But there's no need for you to worry, if there are any progress on the matter, he will definitely contact you.


Zhou Yan nodded to me, then turned around and left.


You: Was he talking about the ring's matter? But why to London?


The cooling night breeze brushes over, I gripped onto my dress as I dragged my tired body out to call a cab. 



As the cab speeds forward, I leaned onto the soft seat as I looked at the blurry lights flashing past the car windows.


You: I wonder when I can finally take the ring off... I also wonder if tomorrow's interview will be going smoothly...


I closed my eyes in tiredness, adjusted to a comfortable posture, and allowed my heart to relax temporarily. The voice of the radio host continuously entered my ears.


News: Breaking news from our channel, half an hour ago, a gang shooting has happened in London. There are currently more than 50 people being heavily injured, and the police is still investigating on this matter.


... London?


I immediately widened my eyes, and my chest tightened. The channel news have moved on to the next one, and I took out my phone in panic as I looked for Evan's number.


Tut-- Tut-- Tut--


You: ......


The mechanical and boring dial tone has been continuously repeating, there weren't anyone picking up the calls despite how many times I've been continuously calling. Even until the cab have already been parked in front of the community entrance, I still couldn't manage to reach him.



I stood by the roadside at a loss, raising my head as I look into the dark skies, there are only a few stars shining in dim lights. It's the same weather on the day when he sent me back.



Evan: As long as you believe in it, I will be your spell from now on.


I can't help but to put my hands together, and closed my eyes.


You: Evan, I believe you can hear what I say. So please, promise me to be safe.


The moment I opened my eyes, a smudge of clear, bright red flashed before my eyes. Before I could respond to it to know what it was, gunshots could be heard from the depths of the dark alley behind my back.


Not even daring to stay even a second more longer, I quickly ran all the way home.



Just when I opened my door, the cold winds are blowing straight to my face.


You: I remembered I've closed the windows properly before I went out...



I quickly closed the windows, looking at the opened gauze curtains, feeling completely weirded out. But there's something even weirder happening. The lights that I just switched on suddenly flickered, and my house suddenly went into complete darkness after a snapping sound.


You: !


I squatted down as I covered my head in fear, and only after a minute have passed, my vision has finally brightened up again.


You: ... Was that a circuit failure?


The slits from my gloves kept exuding the brightness within, and after I've taken them off, I realized the gemstone on the ring is just like a light being lit up, and it's abnormally bright.


I can't help myself but to let my vision and thoughts being attracted by it, and I was unable to move my gaze away, so focused on it that I didn't even notice my phone has vibrated multiple times.



??: Y/N? Are you inside?


The hurried knocking sounds could be heard from the door, and only then I've returned to my senses, and the ring has returned to its usual dimmed looks.


You: What happened just now...? How did I got so fascinated by it...?


I stood up, and walked to the door completely puzzled.



You: Evan?!



I completely didn't expect him to be the one behind the door, and I was completely stunned. Evan too, didn't utter a single word, only looking at me quietly. I could still capture the lingering panic from his expressions.


You: Aren't you... in London?


My mind is still a little fuzzy, so I kept rubbing my eyes.


Evan: You didn't even ask who it was, how are you so daring to open the door?


He let out a sigh, allowing me to confirm that everything I'm seeing now is not my own illusion.


You: That's great, I'm glad that you're fine!


Hearing what I've said, Evan's calm pupils have suddenly rippled. He closed his slightly opened lips, swallowing the words he originally wanted to say.


After a moment, he then lifted an arm to lightly caressed on my hair, the cold touch made me subconsciously shrunk my neck a little.



Evan: Were you scared earlier?


You: Eh? How did you know...


Evan: I heard your voices of fear.


You: I'm fine now, it's probably because of the aged circuits, I'll let someone to have a look tomorrow.


Evan: I'm glad that you're fine. But, remember to make sure of who your visitor is before opening the door. You're living alone, so you can't be careless.


You: I understand now~


The cold winds entered from the doors, and only then I remembered that we're both still standing at the entrance, so I quickly invited him into the house to take a seat.



Evan surprisingly didn't wear his glasses today, with his usual tidy fringe looking a little messy, and there are even cold water droplets hanging onto his windbreaker. Recalling his cold palm earlier, did he come here from somewhere cold and damp?


He carried so much of puzzles with his sudden appearance, making me unsure what I should ask.


[Choice]

Night: Why can't I manage to contact you?

Light: Are you alright?



[Night Choice: Why can't I manage to contact you?]


You: Evan, I wasn't able to contact you all long. Why did you suddenly appear before my house? Zhou Yan said you've gone to London.


Evan: I'm sorry.



[Light Choice: Are you alright?]


You: Evan, why are there rainwaters all over your clothes? Are you alright? I heard there was a gang shooting case in London, so I was really worried about you.


Evan startled slightly, but immediately let out a smile right after.


Evan: Only asking this to me? Why don't you ask me why I've suddenly appeared, or why I didn't contact you before?


You: Can I ask those?


Evan: Why not?


You: I'm just thinking, you were probably having something really important that you had to handle. If it's something that important, you probably can't tell me, right?


Evan stunned a little, smiling while looking a little apologetic.



Evan: Actually I'm already back to the country this afternoon, but there were some matters that I had to settle right after, so I wasn't able to contact you on time. I ended up hearing a young lady worrying about me, so I wanted to let her know that I'm safe. And telling her, that I'm safe and sound. Unfortunately I wasn't able to reach her by phone just now, so I've came here.


Looking at the few missed calls showing on my phone's screen, I scratched my head in embarrassment.


You: I didn't pay attention to the phone earlier...


Evan: I should've been here earlier.


You: It's alright, it's not late now too, as long as you're safe. Looks like whether it's for you, or for me, it's all a false alarm.



Evan: False alarm...


Evan muttered, as if he's repetitively digesting these words, then he smiled, with his eyes turned into crescents.



Evan: I really like these words, thank you. But, should we replenish some energy after a false alarm?


You: Eh?


He smiles as he picks up the insulation bag in his hand.


Evan: I brought this for you.


Looking at the familiar packaging, I immediately recognize where it's from.


You: Is the made by Aunty Xu


Evan: I should've brought these to you at night, but looks like it's became supper now.



You: It's alright, I just got hungry too!


I smiled as I picked up the chopsticks Evan passed to me, looking at the ring in my hand, and I can't help myself but to pause my movements for a bit.


Evan's gaze have drooped along too.



Evan: I'm sorry, I've troubled you during this period. It's just that I have yet to find a method to take the ring off for now.


Although feeling a little disappointed, but seeing how Evan have frowned, I still shook my head and forced a smile out.


You: It's okay, I'll continue to protect the ring well.


Evan raised his gaze towards me, and just when he was about to say something, the buzzing sounds from his vibrating phone has interrupted him.


He took a glance at the phone screen, and his expressions have immediately became stern.


Evan: Alright, I should get going. I'll look for a way to solve the ring's issue, don't worry.


He stood up, gaze brushing over the windows closely shut.



Evan: If you face danger, you can call my name just like how you called me today, I will come to you.



Walking out from the elevator, Evan was just about to walk towards the parking lot, but he suddenly paused his footsteps.


A blurry shadow brushed past the corner of his eyes. After Evan gave it a deep thought, he walked out from the building's shadows, completely exposing himself to this wide space between the heaven and earth.


The howling wind blows past, with the pouring shadows from the clouds covering on his cold face, the long-awaited scarlet have exuded bit by bit.


Bang! Bang! Not far away, the sounds of people collapsing along with screams could be continuously heard, making this quiet night to appear thrilling than ever.


Evan opened his phone, with the display lights shimmering a corner of his face.



Evan: Zhou Yan, you're now in charge of protecting her, don't let her find out.



Zhou Yan: Yes. Boss, your injury--



Evan: Mind your own business.


[Location: Lu Ting's Office]


At the same time, in the other corner of this city, a cunning-looking middle aged man is standing before the surveillance system with arms behind him.


What's displayed on the screen is the back view of Evan turning away to leave.



??: Director Lu, that area is now fully deployed with his men. We originally planned to make a move in the car, but it seems like there's a barrier by her side, our men were unable to get close to her at all.


Lu Ting: So strange?


??: The cause is still unknown, should we, for once again--


Lu Ting: Don't act abruptly, Evan is suspicious, and we can't let him find out our actual motives. Have the arrangements with LONGDAY been made?


??: We've arranged the top bounty hunter.


Lu Ting: Very well. If we can't get close to her... Then we can only allow her to look for us proactively.


??: Should we ask our men to retreat from the area?



Lu Ting: No, double it.


Outside the windows, lightning has split the dark clouds open as it strikes, brightening Lu Ting's features, showing his victorious-looking smile.


Lu Ting: My good nephew, I wonder if you're part of this drama, or are you outside of it? I've placed such a great bet, you have to give me a brilliant ending.





Chapter 6-08 can now be read here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.