5☆ Date with Jesse - Midsummer Harmonies (盛夏变奏) | Light and Night Battle Pass Card 光与夜之恋

8/26/2021 11:30:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


-- Prologue --



The high rise buildings in the city center are gradually moving backwards from as I looked outside of the car windows. The short brick houses, the richly-scented plantations, and the refreshing morning breezes, everything here are telling me that we're driving towards the suburbs, going far away from the city center.


Jesse has been so busy recently that I can't even see him, yet suddenly sending me a text message to book my weekend away, and even acted all mysterious to keep the activity agenda away from me.


Right now, he's sitting right next to me, looking out from the car windows with an expression that is far more excited than I do.


You: Come and think of it, it seems like you didn't come from the direction of your house, were you pulling an all-nighter to practice?



Jesse: Yeah, I only slept for a while in the theater.


You: Ah... is it okay for you to work around the clock like this? Or how about we look for a place so you could rest up for a little?



Jesse: No problem at all, didn't you know that I'm always full of vigor?


Jesse winked at me, and put on a sly smile. 


Jesse: Trust me, the journey today will definitely be unforgettable!


Looking at Jesse pledging in all sincerity and seriousness, I'm starting to get more anticipated too.


Not long after, our car parked in front of a theme park entrance, and Jesse hurried me to get off the car.



Jesse ran all the way towards a slightly old-looking gate, smiling to me looking as if he wanted to be rewarded. I take a proper look of it, and a feeling of joy and familiarity struck me so much that I can't help myself but to cover my mouth in surprise.


Jesse: The theme today is -- childhood relief! Do you remember now? Did you go back to the feelings back then?


So that's what it is... No wonder he had to be so secretive.


You: I remembered now! We've been here quite a few times, right? The last time was during middle school, when our school organized a spring trip.


Jesse: Bingo!


You: There are already so many buildings built outside the theme park, I almost couldn't recognize it! But the entrance did not change at all. I remember after passing through this door, we'll first see a haunted castle, and behind the castle is bumper cars, merry-go-round...


Jesse: Yeah! How about we hurry up to have a look?


We enjoyed walking around as soon as we entered the theme park, searching for every trace that contains the proof of our memories.


After a while--


Jesse: This isn't right, I remembered the merry-go-round was here before!


You: Yeah, I also remembered that it was here...


We looked at each other, and searched for it along the other side of the castle. Until we've returned to the theme park's entrance to have a look at its introduction, we've finally found a cruel truth--


You: The theme park was rebuilt five years ago, and most of the facilities has been dismantled.


Jesse bowed down and supported both of his arms on his knees, with grievance written all over his face.


Jesse: Ah-- How could it be?! My youth has come to an end!


I patted his drooping head.


You: Although the old ones were dismantled, but the theme park now looks more magnificent, and it looks more fun too!


Jesse: It's good indeed... However, stylish theme parks are everywhere, but the theme park that accompanied our growth can't be found anymore.


You: I didn't expect a big boy like you to be such a nostalgic person.


Jesse: Ah, wait!


Jesse's attention suddenly got attracted by something, and he tugged my hand and immediately began running.



You: Ah, where are we going--


His palm is just as warm and dry as the past, but it's already a lot wider and bigger than it original was, the ouch of the two hands holding together is familiar yet strange. He looked backwards and smiled to me, and more familiar feelings gushed up in my heart. I remembered that each time he found something great, he'd be just like this, and can't wait to tug me over to have a look.


Jesse: Quickly look over there! The stall that's selling helium balloons is still there!


I followed the direction he pointed, a dark green bicycle is parked not far away from us, with many colorful balloons tied onto its backseat... It's no different from my memories!


Stopping before the stall, Jesse spoke impatiently.


Jesse: Hello, I'd like to buy the prettiest balloon you have!


Stall owner: These puppies and kittens are prepared for the children, haha, as for the two of you, the heart-shaped ones will be more suitable!


I looked up as I traced along the string, two heart-shaped helium balloons are tied together, with one in yellow and the other in pink as they gently colliding into each other in the air, separating for a while, and then leaning to each other quietly in another moment. 


Jesse snapped his fingers happily as soon as he saw the balloon.


Jesse: Sure! Then I'll take those two!


To purchase balloons from a familiar stall, Jesse and I have finally found a bit of nostalgic familiarity in this "strange" theme park.

 

We hold onto our balloons and happily walked to the depths of the theme park. The scary and strange facilities around us are so tempting.


Jesse: How about we have a ride on the pirate's ship? We can sit at the front row, it'd be really fun!


You: Sure!


Yet just when we entered the bag storage area we were troubled by the balloon in our hands. The balloon is too big, and it's impossible to stuff it in the lockers, so we can only find a place to tie it.


By the time we've finally tied our balloons, the visitors have almost completed boarding, with only the innermost seats left.


We then played a few more rides, and the situation are about the same too.


After leaving the ride with the balloon in our hands, I noticed Jesse's gaze towards me are looking a little unenergetic.


You: What's wrong? Are you feeling unwell?


Jesse: How could I be? I can even eat french fries as I play turbo drop continuously for three rounds!


You: .....


Jesse: I just felt that I was inconsiderate earlier, we could've actually bought the balloons before we go home.


You: Why does this even matter? Perhaps the balloons have all been picked away by other people by the time we're going home too.





Jesse: That makes so much sense! You really know how to console people.


You: Hehe, as expected of yours truly. But I never noticed you liking balloons so much in the past.


Jesse: Huh? It's obviously because of you...


Jesse put on an unbelievable look over his face, his smiley face now exudes a sliver of seriousness that is rarely seen.


Jesse: This can't be true, right? Have you already forgotten about it?!


You: What?


Jesse: It's the time when my dad brought us here. You bought a bunch of balloons before we left the park, but because we're boarding on a a bus, the driver didn't allow us to bring balloons aboard. You were extraordinarily mature back then, and immediately let go of the balloon. But when the bus have drove far away, you're still leaning towards the windows as you looked into the skies, to have a look on how far the balloons have flown to.


You: Oh right! Back then you even consoled me and said "when I have money, no matter how many balloons you want, I'll buy them all for you". Back then you were just a kiddo that weren't even as tall as I was, yet the way you look when you were talking so seriously was just too adorable!


Jesse: Hey, can't you remember something good about me?


You: I really think you were cute, is that not allowed?


Jesse suddenly turned speechless, then lowered his long lashes as if he's gotten shy, scratching his cheek with his finger, and a tint of suspicious smile has surfaced on his face.


Jesse: Well anyways, am I not here to make my promise back then come true?


I wanted to thank him subconsciously, but found it to be too strangely polite before the words reached my lips, so I could only raise my head and smiled at him in the end.


As our gazes met, I noticed I'm not completely used to being looked by him from a higher angle, but the pair of pure, innocent aquamarine eyes are still hiding the same determined and gentleness as his childhood.


After looking at each other for a moment, I tugged his fingers lightly, and woke him up from this slightly blurry atmosphere.


You: Alright, it seems like there are more visitors now, it's already a long queue over there! We got to hurry to too!


Jesse: Then what do you want to do next?


[Choice: Which attraction should we start with?]



Intimacy: Suggest to watch a music festival

Listen: Eat cotton candy

Heartthrob: Let's ride on a roller coaster!


[Do Nothing]


You: I'm a little tired, how about we ride on the merry-go-round over that side?


Jesse: Alright, I'll accompany you no matter what you wanted to do.


Comparing to the giant-sized exciting attractions, there aren't much people around the merry-go-round, we bought the tickets and boarded it right away.


Jesse: It feels so great! It feels like we almost booked the entire place! The outer circle has a better view! Take a pick, which horse do you like?


You: This white horse looks energetic, I'll pick it. How about you?


Jesse: Then I'll ride on the black horse behind you.


Very quickly, the familiar nursery rhymes sounded, and we began spinning in the colorful world. The horses rise and fall, for a moment Jesse will be taller, then it'll be my turn to be taller in another moment; and for a moment Jesse will overtake me, then it'll be my turn to overtake him.


You: It's been a very long time since I rode the merry-go-round with you, right?


Jesse: Yeah.


You: Do you remember that you were so unwilling to lose back when you were a kid, and each time your horse is overtaken for a bit, you'll start yelling "go go go" in panic. Now you're actually sitting behind me.


Jesse: Please don't mention my dark past... This horse of mine is the black horse of a knight, and yours is the white horse of a princess. Of course the knight has to follow the princess' footsteps.


Without anyone around us, we unscrupulously chased each other as we laugh and converse childishly. Until the fantasy world stops spinning, I am willing to receive all of his magic.



[Intimacy: Suggest to watch a music festival]


You: Let's have a look at the music festival!


Bypassing various types of entertainment attractions, we've headed straight towards the main stage of the music festival. The performance has not officially started yet, but there's already a large crowd walking under the stage.



Jesse: The DJ on the stage is internationally famous! Do you want to walk closer to have a look?


You: Sure!


The turbulent crowd is right before us. He turned backwards and reached an arm to me, and I naturally reached an arm to hold onto his hand.


With the tall Jesse opening the path for me, squeezing into the center of the crowd isn't as difficult as I've imagined. Finally, we've walked towards a space where we can have a clear look of the stage.


As expected of the first-class international DJ, his crowd control capabilities are tip-top. The energetic electronic music paired with the uplifting slogans, the crowd's atmosphere boiled in an instant!


A rough man suddenly bumped into me, and I suddenly collapsed towards Jesse--


In desperation, I reached out an arm wanting to hold onto something--


[Hurry up and hold onto his arm]



[Touch anywhere other than his arm]


Tap on his head: *Sobs* You're hitting me!

Tap on his shoulder: Is there a secret you wanted to whisper? I'm listening.

Tap on his abdomen: Wanted to assault me? Hehe, I've caught you!


But before my hand could even reach him, I've lost balance and fell down! I've held onto somewhere on him, but it didn't help...


Just when I was about to have an intimate contact with the floor, Jesse agilely grabbed onto me. I had a close look, he is actually holding onto my the back of my collar, picking me up just like how he picks up a kitten.


Jesse: It's better for you to eat more and gain some weight! With your condition right now, I worry that a wind will easily blow you away.


Just when I have found my balance, I struggled away from his hand in shame, and tidied my collar and bangs.



You (pouting): ... You shut up.



[Touch his arm]



Tap on his arm: Ah, slow down!



You: Whoa...


My hand fell onto Jesse's arm in a hurry. He didn't just have broad shoulders, even his arm feels pretty firm and strong on touch. Just when I collide into him, he quickly opened his arms and protected me before him.


The crazy crowd suddenly got blocked by him, and what's left in my world is merely the faint scent of orange blossoms, and the warm and firm chest of his.


Jesse: Be careful.


You: I'm sorry! Did it hurt? Someone bumped into me just now, I suddenly lost my balance...


My mind is restless, and I can only faintly lean onto his chest, and I could even hear his slightly hurried heartbeat.


You: I- am fine, I'm alright! That...


Jesse: Wait a while more.


You (blushing): It's really alright...


You: Jesse?


He has not responded for a long while. I raised my head in confusion, but I almost collided into his nose.


You: What are you doing?



Jesse: Your hair is still having that scent. You're using the shampoo of the same brand, right?


His refreshing voice vibrated into my eardrums from his chest, with an additional, deep magnetic tint into it. When I finally understood what he was saying, I suddenly feel embarrassed, and subconsciously refuted--


You: Smelling other people's hair like this, are you a pervert?!


Jesse: I didn't realize it in the past, but now I think it smells so good. Perhaps it's because I've became more mature.


You: Stop putting feathers in your cap already!


Jesse: I'm serious, next time when I go to your place, let me use it too, please?


I did not comment on it. His muttering voice by my ear is so deep yet gentle, yet it has completely covered all the voices of the crowd right now, and became all of the voices in my consciousness.




[Listen: Eat cotton candy]




Just when I was about to say something, a weird grumbling sound could be heard. I followed the sound and looked at Jesse, and the latter is pretending to look into the skies.


You: ... You haven't eaten anything since you got out from the troupe, right?


Jesse (pouty voice): I wasn't feeling hungry at that time.


I looked around, and a sweet scent has wafted over from a cotton candy stall.


Jesse: Whoa-- this cotton candy is too huge! Thank goodness we've only bought one. Some and have a seat here. Hurry and eat up! I can feel that a wind could blow it away.


[A voice clip will be played here]



I'll hold it. You can eat from this side.


Mmm. So sweet!


Hahaha, why did you pull out such a large piece? Go go, swallow it! 


Hahahahaha-- No I can't do this anymore, it's all stuck on your face, hahaha.


Hmph. Why can't I bring wet tissues with me at all times?


*tears packaging*


I'm a delicate piggy boy alright*? Stretch your face over here.


*T/N: Piggy boy/girl (猪猪男孩/女孩) means someone who has exquisite makeup, pay attention to details, gesture and appearance. It's also used as self-proclamation or self-deprecating without a clear derogatory meaning. It may be self-deprecating that one is lazy, or that he/she like eating and being chubby more, or that he/she is dumb and silly.


*wiping sounds*


You hold on for a moment, I have to wipe carefully, otherwise your entire face will be sticky.


Haha, look at the baby on the opposite, even the baby isn't eating in an embarrassing manner like you do.


I can see the fuzzy hairs on your face, just like a peach... I've said it in such a way that I'm craving for peaches now.


Tsk. Don't move around.


Your breathing tickles me so much.


Hey, don't laugh! Don't shake, don't shake...


If you laugh, I'll want to laugh along too.


You wanted me to go lighter? Was I going too hard just now?


Alright, then I'll go lighter.


Stay still. Look, it's even on your eyelashes.


Close your eyes, behave.


Don't dodge, what are you being afraid of what I'll do to you?


I wasn't secretly touching your eyelashes, it's because the wet tissue couldn't wipe it off, that I had to use my hand...


*blowing sounds*


Alright, it's done!


In the meantime I'll also wipe the corners of your mouth, a one-stop service. Please give me a 5-star review~


*hitting sound*


Ouch! You! Where are you hitting me in the broad daylight?!



[Heartthrob: Let's ride on a roller coaster!]


Just when I was contemplating, a high-pitched scream could be heard from afar. I looked towards the source of the voice, and it's a newly-built giant roller coaster, with curving tracks that are just like a curly line a child has simply scribbled.


Jesse noticed how fascinated I looked, and lightly tapped on my arm.




Jesse: Cap ou pas cap?*


I know he's referring to that line from the movie, it's a movie** that we've watched together when we were kids, but none of us understood the movie. But this doesn't stop me from responding to him.


You: Cap!*


*T/N: French. 'Cap' is a (children) abbreviation of 'capable'. Literally translated to 'Are you capable or are you not capable?' or 'Do you have the courage to do it?'. It's an expression used as a dare among children. 


**The movie they are referring to is likely to be Love Me If You Dare (Jeaux d'enfants). Where a pair of childhood friends begin a game where they dare each other to do silly stunts. However, as they grow older love blossoms between the two and their dares become more reckless.


After tying our balloons at the baggage storage area, we queued and get seated.


The safety bar securely pressed onto our seats, and the snake-like ride gradually rises up.


A feast of adrenal hormones is about to begin. I couldn’t suppress my nervousness and anticipation, so I looked around and found that Jesse was also looking at me.


He smiled with his white teeth showing, then winked at me. That smile looked particularly bright against the sun, as if to say: Relax, I am here!


Just then, the roller coaster suddenly fall!


The whole world seemed to have been mixed up as it rolls in my vision, and for a moment I can't even differentiate the directions between the heavens and the earth, even the steel rails before me have seemingly turned into a zipline to hell.


The feeling of falling is quite uncomfortable... It's probably because it has been a long time since I had a roller coaster rice, so I wasn't used to it.


Passenger A: Aaaaaaaahhh----!!


Under the experience of extremities, many passengers have started screaming. Right then, a different voice sounded.


Passenger B: I want to get rich quick--!!


Laughter could be heard everywhere, and many passengers began to follow suit. Very quickly, the shouts came in different waves.


Passenger C: I must get admitted to my dream university!!!


Passenger D: All hail to my wife!!!


I got influenced by the refreshing atmosphere, and the desires accumulated deep in my heart began to resonate as they look for an exit.


Since it's quite a rare chance, I took a deep breath and get determined.



You: I-- WANT-- TO BE THE TOP-CLASS FASHION DESIGNER!!! FIGHTING!!!


A large portion of my voice is covered by the sounds of the winds as soon as they escaped from my mouth. But the shock that remained in the chest after shouting has unbelievably swept away the obstacles in my heart, and even opened  the world up.


I suddenly remembered Jesse sitting beside me, and I had the urge to listen to what he's shouting. The sounds of the winds, the machines, and others' shouting have weaved as they entered my ears, so I raised my voiced and yelled his name.


You: Tang-- Yuan--


Jesse: I-- AM-- NOW-- BACK--!


I suddenly don't know how to respond, but he continued to yell--


Jesse: Y/N, I AM BACK!!


The sealed memories immediately filled my mind in an instant-- the unclear apology letter, the house that suddenly emptied over a single summer night, the feelings of loss as if there's something in life that has been knocked off... I can't help myself but to respond to him in a loud voice.


You: Jesse, welcome back!!


The flowing air seems to be passing his feelings towards me, happy, relief, and mixing with bits of regrets... I carefully touched them, until his clear voice sounded again.


Jesse: I MISS YOU SO MUCH!!


You: I--


However, before I could finish my sentence, the ride suddenly accelerated, and this time the gap of the speed is even greater! Unsure of the reason, I can feel as if my heart is like a piece of paper being crumpled cruelly, and I can hardly breathe for a moment, and I have no more energy to continue my sentence.


It's okay, it's probably just the weightlessness. I quietly consoled myself, closing my eyes, and tried my best to take a deep breath as I adjust my body's condition.


Despite so, Jesse still noticed the anomaly. 


Jesse: Y/N? Are you alright?


He asked eagerly, yet I could hardly make a voice, and only lightly shook my head to tell him I'm fine.


I still worried him in the end...


Jesse no longer spoke, but not long after, I noticed the discomfort in my chest has gradually soothed out.


I tried to breath and feel the fresh air gush into my lungs, there's a feeling as if I was rescued.


But, what happened earlier?


Before I could understand the situation, the ride has gradually returned to its starting point. Just when the ride stopped at the platform, a few staff have surrounded over as if they are facing a great enemy. I looked at them in confusion, yet Jesse seemed to be rather indifferent about it, and reached out an arm to support me.


You: I'm already fine, I--


Things are happening against my will, and my legs are feeling weak just when I stood up, that I can only stumble as I hold onto Jesse's arm, allowing him to hug as he supported me back to the ground.


It's so embarrassing... But, I didn't expect this fella to have such strength despite looking quite skinny.




Jesse: You really scared me earlier, your face were pale like paper. Have a seat over there.


We came to a long bench and sat down, and the sounds of the staff's conversation can be faintly heard.


Staff 1: The ride's speed doesn't seem right at the final stage!


Staff 2: Quickly make arrangements to check on failures!


Remembering the weird feeling I had in my body, I suddenly had a thought, and leaned towards Jesse's ear.


You: What kind of failure do you think it is?


Jesse: How would I know? Hahaha.


This idiot, even his laughter is obviously sounding like he's guilty of something!


You: Tell. Me. The. Truth.


Jesse: Alright, looks like there's nothing I can hide from the smart and witty missy right here.


Jesse leaned towards my ear.


Jesse: Don't worry, I only used a bit of "tiny ways" to let the ride slow down a little bit, it won't affect anything.


You: I was just feeling weightless earlier. Look at you, troubling the staff like that.


Despite knowing his intentions, but doing this is a little exaggerating, so I purposely put on a stern expression. Seeing that, he immediately changed to a coying tone after analyzing the situation, and lightly bumped me with his shoulder.


Jesse: Okay, don't be fierce to me, I'm sorry. But I saw you being uncomfortable just now, so there's only a single thought left in my mind, how can I be completely thoughtful?


The warm breath brushes past my ear, and I'm completely shrouded under Jesse's tall figure. I suddenly realized, the little fool that used to play around with me has grown into a reliable big boy at somewhere that I didn't know.


You (blushing): I'm already fine, let's get our bags! Are we going to watch the 4D movie later?


Jesse: But that is horror-themed! Aren't you afraid of ghosts?


You: But aren't you by my side now? If you're here I'll not be afraid~


We chit-chatted and laughed as we entered the storage area, but the scene before my eyes caught me off guard.



You: Uh, I remember that I've tied the balloons here, right?


Jesse: Yeah...


You: Would it be possible for the staff to have kept them?


We quickly asked the staff, but we got a negative answer from them.


We unenergetically left the roller coaster area with empty hands. It's almost afternoon, and the bright sun is hanging high up in the skies, and I squinted a little because I am not used to it all of a sudden.


The balloon is gone. Although bringing them around is a little troublesome, but losing them makes it more depressing.


My encounter with balloons is so short this time too.


You: Sigh, it's probably fate.


Jesse: Don't sum it up as fate so easily.


You: But I didn't manage to keep the balloon when I was little either...


Jesse: The balloon from childhood will fly away someday too, we're back here to not leave any regrets for our childhood, no?


Can I really not leave any regrets?


You: Oh well, what's lost will not come back, regrets will only stay as regrets.


Jesse hesitated, and his good-looking brows frowned slightly.


Jesse: We can buy again if we lost it! If you want it I'll go right now--


Jesse spoke, and actually is about to turn around and walk away.


You: Tangyuan! It's very far from the main entrance.


It seems like he didn't hear me, and he never turned back. I quickly ran forward and tugged him.


You: Did I say something that made you uncomfortable...?


He immediately shook his head vigorously after hearing what I said, and placed his hands on my shoulder.


Jesse: No, not at all, you didn't say anything wrong!


He scratches his ears and cheeks, his lips seems like he's about to say something more, but he didn't.


After a while, unsure what he has thought of, his frown gradually smoothed out, but turned into a helpless, self-mocking laughter.



Jesse: I'm sorry, what you said is right. Things like balloons are destined to leave us without looking back the moment we let go of them. If it isn't fate, then what is it...


His usually clear and bright eyes have covered in a veil of faint darkness in this moment. He stared into the air, and I'm unsure of what he's thinking. I then smelled his emotions-- a faint feeling of loss is lingering around him.


You: Tangyuan...


Jesse: Why putting on such a worried expression? The show I'm practicing recently is coincidentally related to this, I was a little too in character just now. Oh right! Do you want to drink something? It's too sunny out there, I'll buy them. You can wait for me under the awning.


I can see him eagerly trying to snap away from the thought just now, so I didn't press on, and quietly let out an internal sigh.


You: Then thank you~



After seeing Jesse off, I sat under the awning as I observe the visitors passing by. Families, couples, friends, classmates... They are going around in groups, and all of their faces are exuding happiness.


People in this world are receiving happiness from connections. The me right now who's casually waiting for Jesse to buy a drink, is probably also happy.


Just then, a piece of bright color appeared in the crowd, and quickly got my attention.


You: Yellow and pink heart-shaped balloon, and tied together... It's Jesse's and mine!! 


I stood up so quickly, even my bag almost fell onto the ground.


I can finally have a clear look, the ones that are taking the balloons are two children that looks like they are around 12 or 13 years old. They probably stole it from the storage area right?


Should I get back the item from the kids? The children are slowly walking further away, and just when I was hesitating, I remember what Jesse said.


Leaving without turning back... Fate...


His expressions back then appeared before my eyes. Such clean-looking gaze, frowns are really unsuitable on him.


I wanted to tell him, that fate is not always helpless. Thinking of this, I quickly took picked up my bad and chased towards the direction the children headed to.


You: That, children, please wait for me!


The pedestrians are bustling, and I continued to chase and dodge, and after running for quite a distance I've finally successfully called the two children.


You: Children, may I know where you've taken these two balloons?


You: Ah, it's the roller coaster--


Before the taller child could finish his sentence, he stayed quiet after the shorter child has pushed him. The latter then raised his chin, and didn't sound friendly.


Child A: What?


Looks like it's indeed Jesse's and my balloon.


You: This is something I've bought with a certain brother, we only tied it outside because it didn't fit in the locker. Can you return the balloon to us?


Child A: Why should I? How do you prove that it's yours?


I suddenly got speechless. I indeed couldn't prove it.


You: It's actually fine for us to buy another one, I'm happy that you two liked them too. But the brother remembered a lot of sad memories after losing the balloon, so I wanted to look for the balloon to make him happy again.


Child A: Che, childish.




You: Anyone has a time when they are sad, don't you think so?


My sincere tone seemed to have started to take effect, the other boy looked shakened, and turned towards his partner.


Child B: How about you return it to missy, I told you that it isn't right to do that earlier, if you really like it I'll buy it for you alright?


Child A: Hmph, this wouldn't happen if you said it earlier.


You: Thank you very much!


After receiving the balloon, I feel completely fulfilled. I imagine the expressions on Jesse's face after seeing this bunch of balloons and walked faster as if there are winds under my feet.


However, the scene looks a little unfamiliar around me. I looked around, and finally realized that I am now very far away from the roller coaster.


After struggling for a few minutes, I unwillingly admitted that I'm now lost in the theme park.


I wanted to call Jesse's phone, but noticed his phone is charging in my bag.


You: When did this fella placed it here?!


After giving it a thought, I've decided to return to somewhere near the roller coaster, in the worst case scenario I'll just walk a few circles around the roller coaster, I'll somehow find the awning to meet Jesse!


After 10 minutes have passed, I've already walked two rounds around the roller coaster...


You: I'm sorry, is there a dark blue awning nearby?


Passerby C: It seems like there's one in front, do you want to have a look?


You: Ah really? But I just came from there... But still thank you very much.


Under the hot suns, I've been sweating quite a lot after walking so much, but thinking that Jesse might be more nervous when he couldn't find me, so I can't slow down my footsteps.


You: Jesse, he... must be looking for me too!


I suddenly panicked, and I didn't notice the childlike background music from the broadcast have actually paused.


After the sounds of test adjustments got broadcasted, an elegant, heavenly singing voice gradually sounded as it flows past the entire theme park.


You: This song... It's "The Youth's Portrait*"? 


*T/N: Jesse's character song.


Everyone have paused their steps for the singing voice as they listened, yet as soon as I heard the first note, I could already recognize the long-familiar voice!


You: This voice-- It's Jesse!


The clear and delicate male singing voice did not require any embellishment from accompaniment, displaying his perfect singing voice through a cappella, his calm breath and emotional delivery has completely shrouded me.


The panicking heart is soothed out by his gentle voice, and I even had the illusion, as if he has never left me, and he has been always by my side. Just then, he chewed onto the lyrics with a bit of sadness, between the words, the faint, bitter sadness lingered.




Jesse: If the storms didn't block off my sight on that day...


This is the song that was viral when we were in middle school, each word of the song is dyed with the colors of our youth and carved deeply into my memories. I can't help myself but to sing with Jesse--


Jesse & You: If I knew how to part from you on that day...


It seems like I have never sing together with him like this, or did we, but I've actually forgotten it?


If it weren't for him, who else could help me to keep these treasurable memories?


I really wanted to quietly listen to the entire song, but there's something that I have to do right now.


You: Excuse me! May I know where the broadcast room is?


After receiving a confirmed answer, I held onto the balloons tightly in my hand, and ran again. The broadcast room isn't far from here. Under the accompaniment of Jesse's singing voice, I quickly arrived there.


As I pant and stood downstairs, the song finished just then. As soon as I raised my head, I noticed Jesse's silhouette in the second floor's terrace.


The moment he saw me when he lowered his head, his expressions that were at a loss have replaced with joy and surprise, and smiled like a shiba inu in springtime.


Jesse: Y/N, you're here! I knew you can find this place! You even found the balloon! Good for you!


Just when he was about to walk downstairs, I stopped him.


You: Just stand there and don't move!


He looked a little confused, but still followed suit. I walked a few steps forward, and stopped under the terrace, then gradually let go of my hand.


You: Now, catch it all over again.


Even if it's something that is destined to be loss, if it's for you, you'll have a way to catch it all over again, right?


I smiled as I looked towards the two heart-shaped balloon, they are slowly rising up to the skies, pulling each other, yet never left each other. Jesse stunned as soon as he heard me, yet quickly returned to his senses in the next second and reached out an arm, forcefully, as if he wanted to grab onto the last hope, and reached towards the balloons--


Finally, he firmly held the strings in his hands.




Jesse: I caught them!!


You: That's great!


Right after he caught the balloons, he immediately turned around and disappeared from the terrace. After a series of thudding sounds, he rushed out from the door on the first floor, and pounced towards me happily.


I was startled, and subconsciously wanted to step backwards, but I didn't make it on time. I ended up got pulled into an embrace full of scents of orange flowers. He buried his face onto my shoulder, and I can't see his expressions. I can only hear the few muffled words from his hurried breathing.


Jesse: Y/N, thank you...


After experience the episode of getting lost, Jesse and I have sweated so much in panic. We decided to take a rest in a cold beverage shop in tacit.


On the way to the shop, he kept talking about his experience just now, just like a wronged giant puppy.


Jesse: The theme park got dismantled so much that there's not even a single public phone, it's too inconvenient!


You: Even if there's a phone booth, how will you be paying? You don't even have a single bit of cash with you.


Jesse: Well isn't that right? I'm indeed penniless right now, and I'm all under your care. Ah, it's that shop in front! Look, the limited drink on the poster looks delicious! Missy, how about you treat me that one?


You: Alright alright alright.




As we walked to the counter of the cold beverage shop, the cashier looked at the poster Jesse pointed to, and quickly operated the ordering machine--


Cashier: Just a cup of summer-limited couple drink right?


You: Ah? Couple?


I only noticed it's actually what's written on the poster. Without waiting for me to say anything, Jesse quickly interrupted.


Jesse: It doesn't matter! I really just wanted to drink this flavor, this flavor is the best when it comes to quenching thirst, I'm really thirsty after singing.


... I kept feeling that this fella has already planned it all long!


The cashier tried to hold back from smiling as she prints the receipt for us. Very quickly, we received our drink at the self-service counter.


You: ... Alright, this looks very couple-y indeed.


Jesse is actually not surprised, and he's even consoling me with a silly smile after we've taken our seat.


Jesse: There's nothing about drinking from the same cup, I won't be spitting into it.


You: Then, blowing bubbles aren't allowed too.




Jesse: ??? What kind of image do you have about me?!


You: You're the one that says silly stuff on your own, yet you still blame me for tainting your image.


Jesse: Ah? What silly stuff?


I was mentioning about the part about spitting, but I suddenly remembered something else, so I purposely changed my words.


You: Many silly stuff.


Just as expected of the one who grew up with me, he quickly understood what I was saying, and puffed his cheeks in embarrassment.


Jesse: Mm, I indeed remembered something unhappy. I'm sorry for not telling you the truth. I usually could get over it after thinking about it on my own, but when I'm in front of you... I can always feel that I could tell it?


I lowered my tone, and looked calmly into his eyes in a serious manner.


You: Mhm, I'm listening.




Jesse: I remembered my father... And that night when the bad news arrived. I always remember that night uncontrollably. Pitch-black living room, the wet floor, the clicking sounds of the clock, and what mom has told me... She said, it's the calamity of life.


You: You must be really afraid back then.


My eyes subconsciously heated up, as if I could see the child in the depths of his heart through the tall and cheerful appearance being trapped in the darkness that he couldn't escape from.


Jesse: Yeah... I was very scared. In that room, I can't seem to catch on anything, as if everything were nothingness. 


You: I understand. It's alright, you can be afraid in front of me, and you can also be sad in front of me.


Seeing his fingers on the tables clenched together so hard, I touched him as I consoled him, then slowly allow him to spread his fingers again, and lightly touching his fingertips.


Jesse: Alright, I'll remember it!


You: So, when you're unhappy, don't think of getting past me with some sort of bad excuses.


After being cruelly exposed by me, he let out a ridiculed smile on his face.


Jesse: Hehe.


You: Your expressions are as obvious as smell are to me, don't underestimate this childhood friend of yours.


This sentence seemed to have given him a dose of weird energy, just like a childish fool, he is now energized in a ridiculous speed.


Jesse: This simile is too touching! It's the same for me! Let me think, your emotions to me are like--




Jesse: Just like the weather!


I gave him a weird look, and he's smiled so much that even his little fangs have appeared, with his crescent-like smiling eyes that are dazzling, like the clear streams in the deep forest.


Jesse: It's sunny when you smile, rainy when you cry, and gloomy when you're about to be fierce to me...


He still unconsciously continued muttering on his own, yet I could feel the heat slowly spreading over my face, and suddenly became awkward in speech, and could only lower my head to drink in panic in order to cover myself...


Jesse & I: Ouch---!!



I didn't even expect our timing to drink could be in such a tacit manner! The moment I lowered my head, our foreheads have defenselessly banged into each other fiercely.


Jesse: Ah so painful, are you alright? You good?


You: ... Uh, I'm still fine... Young man, your head is really a piece of steel, huh.


He reached out his hand that is already so cold after touching the cold drink, and continued kneading on my forehead, then shook another hand in front of me.


Jesse: Little miss, can you clearly see what number this is? Do you know who I am? I'm your elder brother, if you bumped your head and became silly, your brother can take care of you, don't worry.


You: Je! Sse!



--- Common Ending ---


The times whenever I go out with Jesse is always passing so quickly, and unknowingly it's already the closing hours of the theme park.


When we've walked towards the exit, we were charmed by the stuffed toys in the display cabinet, and walked into the souvenir shop in tacit.



Besides the plush ornaments being sold here, there are a lot of hand puppets of various patterns. Just as I've expected, Jesse is immediately attracted to the hand puppets.


He put on a ugly yet adorable green alligator on his hand, and suddenly pointed at me with the alligator's long snout.



Jesse: Oh, there's a beautiful primate here! Watch me drag her into the waters, and have a beautiful meal to myself.


As he speaks, the long kiss of the alligator full of teeth bit onto my arm. An idea immediately came to mind, and I too, took a pink alligator from the rack and put in on my arm.


You: Don't disturb the animals on the land, it'll cause a war between the land and the waters. I know a territory with a lot of fishes, if you're hungry, I can bring you there.


Jesse: Hehe! I eat very well, if you brought me there, I'm afraid that you'll have to be hungry for today!


You: This...


Jesse: But, I too, can't bear to allow such a beautiful and kind lady to be hungry, hehe, what should I do?


Jesse's evil laughter is so performative, that have attracted a few children to surround us as they stretch their necks to wait for the following scenes. A kid even began to explain the storyline to his friends seriously.


Kid: Look, that brother over there is a male alligator, and the sister over there is a female alligator. That male alligator is so obedient to the female alligator, he definitely fancies her, and wanting to marry her as his wife.


Although I know what they were discussing is merely a story, but when I saw Jesse from the corner of my eyes, he's looking so serious and dazzling, so I still feel a little embarrassed.


Just when I spaced out, Jesse's alligator suddenly widened its mouth, and bit onto my alligator.



Jesse: So, in order to not let you hungry, how about I drag you home to make you my wife--


The children suddenly got excited, screaming at each other as they tugged each others' sleeves.


Kid: Look! Look! They're kissing!


I got surprised, and quickly took my arm out from the puppet. The female alligator suddenly plopped, and lifelessly got pulled off from the male alligator's mouth.


Kid: Whoa-- This meanie has bitten the female alligator to death!


The story ended abruptly, and I feel a little sorry. As the children left in disappointment, I stared at Jesse angrily.


You: It's all your fault, shameless alligator.



Jesse: It's because you've ran off too fast!


He looked at the two alligator hand puppets on the rack longingly, and suddenly took them into his arms.


Jesse: The more I look at these two alligators, the more I find them cute, I'm taking them!



You: ... As long as you're happy.


Shopping is indeed having strong healing powers, by the time we left the souvenir shop, our hands are already full of paper bags.


You: I don't have a free hand to pull the balloons... How about tying it onto the bag--



Jesse: Let me, let me.


He tugged my wrist, then wrapped the string around my arm and tied a knot, and winked at me.


Jesse: Now it won't run away.


You: What's with that, don't they also not run away if you tie them onto my bag?


Jesse: The one that is good at running isn't just the balloon itself.



You: ... Then what else? Could it be the female alligator?


He didn't answer me, only to take all of the bags from my hands, and happily walked before me, then turned over and began walking backwards. I don't even know what he's so happy about.


My instincts are telling me, this childish person might not be as innocent as I've imagined...


I looked at the delicate bowknot on my wrist, and I could only sigh helplessly. He then held onto my hand on the next second, and ran towards the crossings of sunset and the starry night.





-- END --




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.