[Light and Night Event] QiXi with Jesse + Message || 光与夜之恋 活动03 与夏鸣星共渡・遥夕灯会

8/13/2021 11:27:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


Without us realizing it, the lights of the fun fair gradually dimmed, and the surging flow of people too have became sparse. Jesse got attracted towards the small craft toys in the night market, taking a wooden duckling and waved before my eyes.



Jesse: This looks like you spacing out.


You: Isn't it obvious that little yellow duck is more like you? The color is even the same as your shirt.


The stall owner probably thought we are a couple, and enthusiastically recommended a red sandalwood comb, saying it has a good sign of union*.


*T/N: In Chinese culture, the act of gifting a comb to your partner means you have intentions to marry the person, tying the knot (of hair) for the rest of your life.


I faked a couple of coughs, and tugged onto Jesse's shirt.


You: Follow me, I have something for you.


Turning past the street corner, a bodhi tree quietly stood by the short wall, with many wishing tags hanging onto the tree branches of the lush tree.



You: Give me your hand.


Jesse: So mysterious... Could you be actually tying a red string* for me?


*T/N: In Chinese culture, if you tie a red string to your partner, it means to never leave their side. Girls also wear red string on their wrist/ ankle to pray for good luck in love.


Jesse teases as he obediently opened his right hand to me.


I placed a small fragrance pouch onto his palm, lightly wrapped towards his finger joints to bend it forward.


In the cloth woven with five-colored threads, it's filled with syrax and Dahurian angelica, exuding a mild fragrance.


*T/N: Traditional herbs. 



Jesse: Is this... a fragrance pouch you made? Is it for me?


You: Yeah.


Jesse: It smells so nice...


Jesse suddenly leaned closer, bringing a little gust of wind that slightly blows onto my hair by my ear's hairline. 


You: What are you doing...


Jesse: It seems like... it's the same scent on your collar.


You: Maybe it got there when I was sewing the fragrance pouch just now.


Jesse: The scent is light, and is really pleasant. It's way better than the one stuffed with wormwood during the Dragon Boat Festival! What's in here?


You: Some  herbs to remove dampness and induce calmness, it's just nice for summer.




Jesse: Y/N, your timing is too perfect! How did you know I didn't have good sleep recently?


You: One day during lunch break, you rambled and sleep talked so much, it's easy for people to become like this when they are tired.


Jesse: Ah? Did I happen to say anything weird?


You: Why, are there things that I can't hear?


Jesse: Of course, for example... my bank card password~


Jesse smiled as he hung the pouch onto his phone case, the pouch sways as it drags a leisure, long shadow under the lantern lights.



Jesse: Are there any fragrance pouches with other functions? Such as mosquito-repelling, or to make your mind feel more refresh, things like that.


You: I think what you probably need is essential oil.


Jesse: Well I just wanted to hang a couple more, can you make one for me for every Qixi from now on? This scent is just like you, making me to feel at ease. Perhaps human's senses are interconnected, although its scent is faint, but I can always remember our childhood summertime. As I eat ice cream, I'd follow the smell to look for the fragrance pouch you've hidden.



You: You've even composed a short essay already, would it even be possible for me to not make them for you anymore?


Jesse and I babbled as our laughter got buried in the quiet night, only with the lingering scent of syrax left.





"A late Happy Qixi! Although we didn't take photos together, but I've already saved everything today in my mind to treasure it well!" - Xia MingXing, Jesse



Light and Night QiXi Event Translations







Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.