Main Story Ch. 4-07 - A Miraculous Journey (爱德华之旅) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

8/04/2021 04:12:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on 4-05... (Read it here)


Sariel: Every day from 12-2pm, I'll be in my office if nothing unexpected happens.


...


Sariel: It's not that I wanted to teach you, it's just because Warson's system can't be changed.



In order to prepare for the Grand Show, the design center's night lights has been on for quite a couple of weeks. 




Everyone are working hard on their workstations, and I too, in order to grab this opportunity, have been repetitively making adjustments to my own design draft.


You: Phew, I've finally done drawing!


I put down my pencil with full of satisfaction, and moved my stiffened neck.


You: It's just right at 12pm, how about letting Director Qi to have a look?






Holding onto the design draft, I've arrived the director's office. Just when I was about to knock on the door, there's a familiar cold sound came from the office.


Sariel: So you are all preparing to let these half-made items onto the stage? Are your brain juices too little? If you're submitting things like this again, there's no longer a need for all of you to participate the Grand Show this round, how about you extinguish fire instead? 


Sariel: What are you standing there for, waiting for me to open the door?


The panicked footsteps are suddenly heard, and I immediately stepped backwards, and on the next second, a few designers ran out from the door as if they're escaping for their lives. I can't help but to look at the design draft in my hand, and I can feel my blood freeze.


You: How about I go back and make changes again?


Just when I was about to retreat, Sariel's voice sounded again.


Sariel: What are you so sneaky about?


I'm found out! Looks like I have no choice. I can only force out a smile, and walked into the room as if I've 'taken death calmly'.



You: That, Director Qi, this is my first version of design draft.


Sariel took over my design draft, and stared for a good while, saying nothing at all.


Just when I got so nervous that my forehead is about to start sweating, Sariel has finally looked over.



Sariel: Have you watched my shows in the past?


You: I've seen them before... I've also referred to one of the retro, hippie-styled high heels. 


Sariel has "just as expected" written all over the face, and placed the design draft back onto the table.



Sariel: Once a work has been designed, it belongs to the past. Design requires you to learn from the past experience. But what you're doing now is merely to imitate me. Take it back and draw again.


You: ...... But--


Sariel: My era has and your era has been different since long ago.


I took my design draft back and held it tightly, and heavily nodded my head.


You: Sure, after drawing, I'll come again.



Closing the office's door, I carefully digest Sariel's words. 


He's right.


Because of my lack of experience, I've been worried to be wrong, and dared not to give my own try.


You: I must find my own direction...


??: Ay, be careful!


I quickly retracted my foot, almost collided with the colleague from HR that walked hurriedly from the corner.


You: I'm sorry, are you alright?


She's pushing a cart full of lunchbox, and difficultly shook her head at me. Because there's too little time to prepare for the Grand Show, everyone has no time to care about the others, that even the lunch in the design center is delivered to their seats.



HR: I'm fine.


She lowered her head as she looked at her ankle, and I looked over too, and only then I've noticed the obviously reddened skin on her ankle with her pair of tall high heels.


You: Are you okay?


HR: I think I might've twisted my ankle just now. It's alright, I'm used to it.


You: Don't they hurt? I have some ointment on my workstation, and a backup pair of flats, do you want me to take them for you to get them changed?



HR: Thank you, but if I don't wear high heels, my entirety will feel very unconfident and unimposing. Comparing to an aching leg, this is more deadly.


You: Then... How about I distribute it for you? Since I've collided into you just now...


After I've hesitated, she gave me two lunchboxes.


HR: Then allow me to trouble you. One is yours, and another one is for director Qi. I noticed that you just came out from the director's office.


You: Leave it to me.


HR smiled as she nodded, turned around and walked away.


There are some other busy colleagues walking around the corridor, yet my gaze can't help itself but to stare at that those pairs of high heels.


They came in various heights and designs, but none of them that didn't exude a dazzling, eye-catching aura. From time to time there's a girl that twisted her leg, but even so she would still continue walking forward without a change in expression.


High heels have made women to carry so much discomfort, but at the same time also giving them unparalleled curves of beauty and confidence, perhaps this is what makes people having a love-and-hate relationship with heels.


You: It's almost as if beauty and constraints has been an unsolvable issue since the past.


I suddenly had thought in mind. 


You: Basing off beauty, can I make a pair of high heels that has maximized comfort? Something that will make girls selecting it without hesitation. But how do I achieve this aim from the unique structure of high heels?


I think as I held onto the lunchbox, and knocked onto the office door.


Sariel: Come in.


Sariel raised his head and glanced at me, and his golden pupils gradually widened.



Sariel: So you've finally decided to give up on design, and transfer to work for the HR?


You (pouting): That's not it, I'm just helping to deliver lunchboxes!


Sariel surprisingly let out a smile, and pointed towards the table beside his hand, then lowered his head and continued to look at the design drafts. It's already 1pm, and he's still burying his head into work, doesn't he feel hungry?


I lightly placed the lunchbox onto his table.


You: Director Qi, don't forget to eat.



Sariel: Mm, open it for me, thank you.


You: ......


I quietly followed his instructions, and handed him the chopsticks.


Sariel is focused on looking at the design drafts in his hand, took over the chopstick and took a small bite of the dish into his mouth.


Sariel: *coughing sounds*



He immediately raised his head, and looked at me with shock. His brows have turned into a frown, and you can even see the panic and awkwardness in his eyes.


You: Director Qi, what's wrong?


I immediately panicked, but I dared not to pat his back, and quickly pulled a couple sheets of tissue and handed them to him.


"Clang!"


The chopsticks are thrown onto the desk, he quickly ran past me, and left the office.


You: What's with him...


I looked at the box of Kung Pao chicken rice, feeling at a loss.


"Bzzt---."


A message notification have came up on my phone.



HR: I forgot to inform you, Director Qi can't take spicy food, so please don't mix them up.


I looked at the box of lunchbox in my hand, it's the same Kung Po chicken rice, but I didn't smell anything spicy.


You: So this is his lunchbox?!




Read 4-09 here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.