Main Story Ch. 5-05 - His Boundaries (他的边界线) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

8/20/2021 06:14:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


Previously on 5-03... (Read it here

Sariel: If your design mindset are still stopping at the superficial level of art, then I'll recommend all of you to start working as a salesperson starting from tomorrow, and experience what it means to be "people-oriented".


The meeting room is overly quiet, nobody actually expected Sariel to suddenly make a comment.


Sariel: Y/N, follow me.





We've been walking all the way to the elevator, and Sariel still hasn't told me where we're heading to. Completely unsure of what to do, I stood by the side to look at the ceilings, then the floor, but in the end, my gaze still falls onto him.


The way he spoke earlier, was it his recognition towards my efforts? Does that count as me successfully making him to see me in a whole new manner now?


My heart uncontrollably leaped in joy, that I even find Sariel extraordinarily good-looking today. His cold side profile is good-looking; his silver hair that curls up at its end is good-looking; even his golden pupils that are always looking down from above too, is very good-looking~



Sariel: If you insist to use such expressions, please don't look at me, I dislike horror films.


You: ......?


I turned my head away in anger, trying really hard to put on a calm expression, but I still couldn't help myself but to let out a laughter.



This time, it's Sariel's turn to look at me. I silently glanced over from the corner of my eyes, and saw him smiling too.


You: Director, am I able to go up to the grand show? I'm not dreaming, right?



Sariel: Yeah, then you should quickly wake up.


You: No, I won't wake up, I won't wake up! Even if it's a dream, I'll only wake up after I got on the stage.


Sariel: There are much more that you need to do.


You: I know, but at least let me to be happy for a little while~ I didn't even know a thing when I first use the sewing machine, I was so clumsy. I've never thought that I could step onto such a grand show someday.



Sariel: Even now you aren't getting any smarter either.



You (pouting): As my mentor, can't you at least praise me for a little?


Sariel: Praise you for?


You: For example... 'Creative with deft hands', or 'clumsy birds soars early*'?


*T/N: 笨鸟先飞 is literally translated as 'stupid bird gets to fly first' and it's actually a Chinese phrase that says the ones with weaker ability works earlier than the rest because they are afraid of being left out. '菜鸟', the word for 'rookie/newbie', also uses the word 'bird'. 


Sariel: Clumsy bird?


Sariel blinked. It seems like he's trying to digest my words.



Sariel: You've actually given yourself a pretty suitable nickname.


You: ...!


Isn't it apparent that you're the old fox?!


But I didn't dare to say it out, so I can only diss him in my heart.



Following him to his office, Sariel pulled his drawer open, took out a paper box and stuffed it into my arms.


You: Isn't this my shoe? Why is it with you?


Sariel: I accidentally saw it, so I carried them here. It's just as expected, the work is so messy.


You: ...... 


You: My current capabilities have improved since the time I made that pair of shoes!


Sariel: Is that so? Then prove it to me. Head to the HR department later to receive your show designer permit. Starting from tomorrow, learn pattern-making from Lao Zhong every morning, then to the show's backstage for practical in the afternoon to learn the event flow for fashion shows.


You: Learning pattern-making? Does this pair of shoes still require amendments?


Sariel: Of course, if it isn't properly amended, you will still be ineligible to participate the grand show.


You: ......


Sariel: Not convinced?


Being stared by Sariel's calm gaze like this, I gradually walked out from joy. I can feel it from his words, that as long as the words are not on the stage, he will never allow himself to relax and be satisfied with the current situation. This is his principle that has been carved into his bones.


You: Understood, I'll make amendments properly. Thank you for arranging these for me.


Sariel: You're mistaken, I wasn't helping you. I was just thinking that you aren't considered incurable. 


You: Oh...


It's obvious that he's helping me, why won't he admit it?


Sariel: When it's the time to learn, learn properly. Don't talk nonsense with Lao Zhong, do you understand?


Nonsense?


I remembered the time when I was at Lao Zhong's shop, the way he moved and winked when he mentioned about Sariel. He can't possibly be knowing some unspeakable secret about Sariel, right?


Suddenly feeling enlightened, I quickly patted on my chest.


You: Director, don't worry, we'll not be discussing about you!


Sariel's expression turned stern.



Sariel: ... Which ear of yours heard that I was mentioning about myself?


You: Was it not? Then what do you mean? We'll avoid that topic.


Who would've known that a gloomier solemnness would've came over his face.


Sariel: Lao Zhong is waiting for you at his shop. Head over quickly.


He turned over, waved his hand to shoo me off, as if he didn't want to see me anymore.


It's so obvious that he had words that he wanted to say, yet he chose to keep them to himself. What a weird person.


You: Oh... See you again, director!


I hugged the shoe box in my arm and took a few steps behind, but stopped again.


You: Director, although you've probably gotten sick of me saying this, but I really wanted to thank you!


Until the girl's figure have completely disappeared, Sariel has finally looked towards the empty entrance. It seems like there are still some end notes of joy lingering there, like the scent of cream or ice cream, he wasn't clear about it either, only his knitted brows have unknowingly smoothed out. 



Sariel: Such a clumsy bird indeed.




After that day, I've started my daily raid in two locations at a go, fighting monsters to level up. Learning in Lao Zhong's shop in the morning, then observe at the backstage in the afternoon. My shoes too, have been gradually amended into a finer product, and the time until the show is approaching closer as well.



Finally, just one more day, the grand show that has been highly-anticipated will soon open its curtains. I successfully graduated from Lao Zhong's lesson, and rushed towards the show rehearsal with my final product.


Just when I took out my shoes, ring-- my phone rang, it's a public article that Mao Ge has sent over, he giant "Warson Grand Show" has attracted my gaze in an instant.



Phone Notification: Mao Ge has shared an article: "Warson Grand Show: Struggling with Death, or a Newbie in Veteran Luxury?" 


Mao Ge has shared an article: "Warson Grand Show: Struggling with Death, or a Newbie in Veteran Luxury?" Ba Ye will bring you to expose Warson's brand secrets with the ups and downs of the Lu Family's destiny! 


It's a long article that writes the weakening and fall of Warson's branding in these past few years, although it's one of the four largest luxury brands in the world, but the actual value isn't high.



Article: Warson Grand Show: Struggling with Death, or a Newbie in Veteran Luxury?  -- Original Article written by Ba Ye


"Article: Even though they have spent great sums to invite Mr. Sariel to be in charge as the design director, and they are even going to display their family collection that has yet to be shown in the world, Ba Ye still thinks that path for Warson's brand revival will be difficult. Since the group's CEO is a no-name newbie, and has never stepped foot into the fashion industry."


Article: "According to understanding, the newly-appointed CEO is the eldest grandson of the Lu family. The Lu family has allowed a 26-year newbie to take over the Warson brand, unsure if it's the result of an internal family feud, or a tactical manner to give up on the Warson brand."


At last, this article is even mentioning about gossips of the Lu family.


Article: "As the nobles over hundred years, the Lu family is outrageously low-profile, only standing up for the brand from time to time, and rarely accepts interview invitation. The person in charge of the family, Mr. Lu Sr. has never showed himself for several decades. I wonder if this new CEO Lu Chen will be able to overturn the downturn of Warson through this grand show?"


I have yet to even finish reading, and messages have been flooding in one by one.


Group Name: Group A Family .^_^


Group Chat Text Message:


Mao Ge: What pheasant public account is this? How dare them for saying that our company is having a downfall? Are there people actually believing in this?


Hao Shuai: Right? Our Warson has been so stable for so many years, it can't be facing a downturn just because we're at low profile!


Zheng Lin: Stay calm, this is obviously written for clout, the more ridiculous it is, the more views they can attract.


Manman: My timeline is flooded by this article!


Mao Ge: It can't possibly be something from our rivals right? How can such an article appear before the grand show?


The originally calm backstage seems to have been affected, everyone have started discussing the results of the first grand show after Evan has took over Warson. There are voices of anticipation, and there are also voices of doubt, everyone held onto their own opinion, making my heart to be in a mess.


I can't hold back from my anger that I've kept in my heart, and I've been typing my comments furiously.



You: The Warson brand is developing great under Evan's lead. Evan is an excellent CEO, he's a humble person, and has a good foresight, the grand show will be successful!


??: Please make way--


You: Ah... Sorry!


I quickly turned around to make way, but I've bumped into the person behind me instead.


The boiling liquid poured onto my arm, and a patch of redness appeared on my skin.


??: Why don't you grow a pair of eyes?!


You: Are you alright?!



Jiang Lai opened the wet paper bag in panic, then glared at me.



Bob: Jiang Lai, I've heard your voice as soon as I entered, what happened?


Bob stride towards us from behind her. It seems like he's disturbed, he looks rather unhappy.


Jiang Lai: It's nothing, I just bumped into someone. Teacher, I'll buy another cup of red tea for you.


Bob: No need. As expected from the student of Director Qi, not even apologizing after bumping into someone.



You: ...... It's indeed my bad for not noticing there's someone behind me, but this has nothing to do with Director Qi.


Unsure why, but I can instinctively feel that Bob is having a beef with me, or putting it more accurately, he has a beef with Sariel.


Jiang Lai: What's with your attitude towards a teacher? You don't even know how to respect others.


Some people have quietly surrounded us, and looked at us curiously.



Bob: Jiang Lai, it's such a pity that your talents have gone to a waste.


Jiang Lai: Teacher, you--


Bob: The mentors were praising you so much, it's a pity that I could provide some aid to you.


Jiang Lai looked at me angrily, and her expressions turned heavy, but unlike the confidence and pride she had in the past, what replaces it is a feeling of unwillingness and disdain.


Bob patted on Jiang Lai's shoulder, keeping his expressions of pity, then scanned his surroundings with a stern expression.



Bob: Why are all of you surrounding here? Get working!


Bob: Y/N, I hope you understand that the reason why you can stand here today is merely because you've met Sariel's ideas. Warson has always been the pronoun for elegance, a noble brand that has been standing high for almost a hundred years. In this important show that represents Warson's highest standards and to stabilize the brand positioning, such item should not exist in it.


The smile on his lips have gradually turned into a mocking tone. It seems like his unhappiness has been piled up for a long time.



Bob: In the end, some people don't even know Warson's foothold. Fashion design isn't play house, the most important thing for a designer is to take care of the brand's positioning. And sorry to say, your work is only suitable to appear in FMCG* brands.


*T/N: FMCG = Fast Moving Consumer Goods.


I've received a hit from Bob's stare before I could even finish digesting these words, those words are full of ridicule and disgust. 


At that moment, I suddenly got stupefied.


[Choice]

Light: Refute

Night: Not arguing with him



[Light Choice: Refute]


You: No... That's not it.


I calmly shook my head, trying with all my might to search my own thoughts.


You: I think outfits aren't merely an ornament, in the end, people still need to wear them. No matter how grand or elegant they look, in the end, we still have to return it to its essence. Fashion isn't an goal, it's merely a tool, only the people are the goal.


Bob: Those who're designing for FMCG too, are thinking just like you. 




[Night: Not arguing with him]


I wanted to tell him that it isn't like that, but before the word 'no' could slip out from my lips, I've swallowed it back.


Under the eyes of many, this isn't the best response. It might even bring more unnecessary trouble to Sariel. Also, it's pointless for me to say anything.


The pair of shoes that I think isn't bad at all, it has not given me enough capacity to face Bob. I too, can't say things without filter just because I receive a tiny bit of acknowledgment from Sariel.


If I wanted to refute him, then I'll need to use the same level of capability.




Bob: Jiang Lai, let's go.


They glanced at me with a complicated look, then turned over, and disappeared from my view.




Chapter 5-08 Can be read here




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.