Main Story Ch. 5-18 - His Boundaries (他的边界线) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

8/24/2021 11:11:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 5-15... (Read here)



Lu Ting: Make arrangements right away, we'll play a new game tonight.




I can only faintly feel Evan has let out a breath in relief after we've arrived the lounge.


Evan: I'm sorry for putting you into such a difficult situation earlier.



You: It's fine.


I tried my best to shake my head, not wanting to let him feel apologetic. This man is shouldering the heavy burdens from work on a side, yet still stuck in a chasm-like family that is just like the den of dragons and tigers on the other side. Only right at this moment, that I could feel a glimpse of his reality.


Sadness suddenly surged from my heart, so I could only hold onto his hand.


You: ... Why is your palm so hot?!


Evan's chest bumped lightly into my back, his hot breath, along with the smell of alcohol has surrounded me. Only then I've noticed his bloodshot eyes have begun to exude some strange, unknown feelings.


You: Are you alright?



Evan: I'm fine, don't worry.


He shook his head, and turned my hand over. A cooling metal touch spreads over my fingertips right after.



You: ... Ring?!


The deep red jewel embedded in the prongs of the ring is reflecting the scattering lights from the chandelier. 


Evan: Don't take it off before the banquet ends. No matter what happens. Remember that.


He gazed at me seriously, as if he was about to entrust me with something, but he ended up keeping his hand back.


Evan: I have something to deal with, I'll be back soon.


Evan's figure disappeared from the entrance very quickly. I obediently stood there, but his depressed face couldn't escape from my mind, so I've followed him.



Walking out from the side door, I got surprised to notice that what lies behind the doors is a wide flower field. In the flowery path, Evan's tall figure seems a little blurry. He's lowering his head, and it seems like he's conversing to somebody.


A boy of around 5 or 6 years old is grabbing onto his sleeves, with another hand pointing towards somewhere in distant, with anxiousness written all over his little face.


You: Did someone's child got lost...?


Evan knelt down, and patted the boy's head. I can't hear what he said, but I can see the boy gradually began to smile. The boy turned over as he waved towards Evan, and ran into the depths of the flower field. Until the tiny figure has disappeared, only Evan continued to walk forward.


Suddenly, a cold wind blew from nowhere, brushing over the flower fields as the flowers waved repetitively. For one moment I've lost my balance, and I instinctively wanted to grab onto something. 


The beautiful petals slide away from my palm, and my hand is suddenly covered in warmth.



You: ... Evan?!


The Evan that have went far ahead suddenly stood before me. He held onto my hand, and looked at me helplessly. The wind brushes his short hair up, and covered his eyes.


You: I-- What a coincidence...


Evan let out a long sigh, and placed my hair that were messed up by the wind to the back of my ear.


Evan: What should I answer? Should I say 'what a coincidence', or "I've expected you to not be obedient"? 


You: I was just a little worried about you, you don't look well...


Evan: I'm just heading out to get some medicine to sober up.


You: ... Sober up? So you were drunk?


I didn't know it was such a simple answer.


You: You'll get drunk too?



Evan: Do I seem like I'll never get drunk in your eyes?


Evan shook his head, and the helplessness in his face is even more obvious now.


Evan: Please allow me to trouble this lady right here to help me back to the lounge for some rest.


You: Okay!


You: The medicine to sober up that you've mentioned earlier, where do you take it from?



Evan: I'll go there myself later.


You: How can you do that? I'm taking care of you right now, of course I should be the one going!


Evan: You...


Evan no longer smiles, and stared at me quietly for quite a few seconds, and finally gave me a silent permission. 


Evan: Then allow me to trouble you. Go all the way along this long corridor, then turn left on the fourth intersection, and you'll find a dark green house. The butler will get the medicine for you.


You: Okay! Then you rest here, alright? I'll be back real quick! Don't move around~


I muttered the route internally, and dashed forward as quickly as I could.



You: The fourth intersection... dark green house... Ah, it's there!


An elderly wearing a uniform saw me from the entrance, and bowed politely. 


You: Hello! Do you have medication to help sobering up? Can you give me some?


Elderly: Please wait for a moment, I'll get them for you.


In a short while, he held onto a small, white bottle from the house, and handed it to me politely.


You: Thank you very much!


I hold it tightly in my hand, and was about to turn back along the original path.


But... just when I've took a step forward, the scene before me has shocked me so much that I couldn't move.


There are three tall walls right before me, so close that no lights could enter. I subconsciously walked backwards, but immediately contacted the cold wall surface, a wall has suddenly appeared behind me!


You: Wasn't it a long corridor here?!


The hoarse songs of the birds flew past, and the wall before me started to gradually move backwards, the flock of black birds flew past the skies, and suddenly disappeared in a blink of an eye.


The mist wafted over from all directions along with the faint winds, all of a sudden, there are nothing else in my sight. Only the gurgling sounds of the waters, mixing with the almost inaudible panting, as if there's someone speaking...


Fear and panic gradually filled my heart. I held onto the medicine bottle tightly, and dare not to make a move.



??: Help me--  Somebody... please save me...


Is this... a cry for help?!


My heart immediately skipped a beat, and my body can't help itself but to rush towards the source of the voice--



The giant water fountain gradually appeared within the mists, and it is flowing with clear, transparent waters, but the surface of the water is so calm that there is not a single ripple on it.


??: Save me--


I saw a boy floating out from the waters. His hand is still instinctively struggling, but his eyes have long closed.


You: It's the boy beside Evan earlier!


I can't afford to think about every single paradox that is happening around me, all I could think of is to save this person.


You: Kid, kid can you hear me--?


The boy's eyelashes trembled a little, and I knelt onto the floor in joy, supporting myself with an arm on the ground, and trying to reach his hand bit by bit.


I can almost reach him, almost there--


Bam--!


Suddenly, a whirlpool appeared on the surface, and the fountain shook vigorously. I held onto the edge of the water fountain, and my body has already been completely drenched.


The waters are raging as they leaped high upwards, I quickly grabbed onto the boy at the moment when the boy flips p, and pulled him into my arms.


You: That's great...


The boy's body is cold, but his forehead is boiling hot, and his face is so pale that is almost transparent. His petite body is now curling up in my arms.


I placed him onto the lawn, and took off my accessories. I quickly pressed onto his chest as I watch the waters coming out from his mouth bit by bit.


You: Kid, can you hear me?



??: *cough cough cough--*


A big mouthful of water came out from the boy's mouth as he choked, his whole body is now trembling, and his pale face is gradually looking a little more livelier.


??: You... Who are you?


The brown pupils that gradually opened up looked confused and disappointed, it seems like there were bits of redness flowing past.


Another pair of familiar eyes appeared in my mind.


You: Are you awake?


The boy stunned as he looks at me, and suddenly a sliver of grief and resentment appeared from his face.



??: I don't know you, why did you save me?


You: I don't know you too, but you are almost losing your life, of course I had to save you!


??: You shouldn't do that.


You: There's no should or shouldn't when it comes to saving lives, no matter who it is, as long as they see it, they will save you too!



??: Who exactly are you...


He struggled as he wanted to grab onto my arm, but the calm surface of the fountain shook violently for once again, and this time, even the entire lawn began trembling.


I subconsciously bent down, wanting to hold the boy into my arms, but... I could only catch onto the wind.


The boy that was lying down on the ground earlier, disappeared into thin air so quietly just like a leaf. I looked at my drenched palm and the traces of water on the lawn, a ridiculous feeling and fear have flooded over my heart like the tides.


*Sound of bird cry*


Yet another hoarse cry of the birds. I raised my head, and under the golden lights of the sunset, I could see a faint parabola. As if there's something reflecting the rainbow light that fell into the fountain.


My heart froze in shock, the cold winds blew past the bald space between my fingers, and blew the misty atmosphere away.


You: ...!


-- That's Evan's ring!


For that one moment, there's only a clear voice echoing in my world.


I promised Evan to never take off the ring no matter what happens. I can't take my words back.


I closed my eyes, and leaped into the fountain.






Chapter 5-20 can be read here...




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.