Main Story Ch. 5-01 - His Boundaries (他的边界线) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

8/18/2021 07:57:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


For Chapter 4, please read the LIGHT END here, or read NIGHT END here.


His Boundaries (他的边界线)






"The city lights shines coldly on the horizons, just like a person entering his dreams."





Mao Ge: Y/N, wake up, it's almost deadline for your draft submission.


You: Mm...!


A week ago, my design draft have passed the preliminary selection, so I've been restless as I immersed myself in the process to prepare for the final product. My colleagues that are participating in the competition are all pumped up, since being able to get onto a top-tier show as a newbie is a valuable opportunity and experience that is difficult to be attained.


After rubbing my sleepy eyes, I carefully packed my shoes into a uniformed paper box, sealed it, and wrote my name.


You: Mao Ge, Sis Zheng Lin, I'll be heading out to submit my shoes!



Mao Ge: I'll go with you! Manman asked me to submit her work on her behalf, she's on leave--


Manman: I'm here, I'm here I'm here!


Li Manman who has been working all night and only returned home after sunrise rushed into the room like a gush of wind, and took over the paper box from Mao Ge's hands.


Mao Ge: Didn't you go home to replenish your sleep?



Manman: I can't even fall asleep, everything in my mind are related to the drafting competition. I'll cut things short, we'll be heading out!


Manman and I rushed to the designation location, and submitted our works together.



HR: Kindly confirm both of your submitted works, there will be a review meeting three days later.


Manman and You: Yes, no problem.


After witnessing the HR lady locking the paper boxes with our names on into a safety box, Manman and I have tacitly let out a breath of relief.


Manman: Right, thank you for helping me to look for materials last night, this hair clip is for you, I made it myself.


A wing-shaped silver hairclip embedded with pearl and moonstone is placed on my palm, shining a soft light under the sunlight.


You: It's so beautiful... Thank you very much!


Manman: You're welcome! Ah, I guess I can feel your emotions when you participated for Warson Prize. To complete a design in such a short period, it's too exciting. I think, perhaps President Lu has also gained inspiration from that competition, that he have decided to organize this competition.


You: President Lu? Is the drafting competition related to him?


Manman: I've heard from Mao Ge, it is President Lu and Director Qi's great efforts to push this through the directors' decisions that newbies' works can be displayed in the grand show. Originally it was against the board of directors, but the CEO insisted, that results in this competition.


You: So that's how it was.


Manman: Although I have no idea where Mao Ge have heard all of these context in such great detail, but it does feel like it'd be something that President Lu will do.


You: Something that he'd do?


Manman: Well isn't my boyfriend studying in the same school as President Lu? When he mentioned about President Lu, all he said was "an ambitious person who's bold and decisive".


You: ... Eh?


I thought she'd be saying things like "calm and unwavering", or "undemonstrative", or even putting it in more exaggerating words it'd be "looking ordinarily but actually unpredictably profound". The Evan in my impression is very different from "an ambitious person who's bold and decisive".


Manman: He said that when everyone were thinking of how to get wasted during the university years, our CEO has already submitted his graduation thesis very early on. When everyone were having headaches about their graduation thesis, the company he started has already begun to take shape. Also, he almost never participated any school gathering, and his friends or family never appeared by his side either.


So Evan back then was like that... I suddenly understood a little, on why I can frequently feel a sense of distance from him.


Manman: Back then, there were even rumors in the campus, saying President Lu could only achieve these because of his family's finances, but he's capabilities are actually mediocre. They even said he's withdrawn from society and sees highly of himself, but President Lu has never responded to any of them. Do you believe it?



You: ... I don't believe it.


Although Evan has never told me anything about himself since we've known each other, but I can faintly see the wide seas from his calm eyes. My instincts are telling me that those flowing waves are not of pride and hypocrisy. 


You: I think it's because he already has a different wavelength comparing with everyone else's footsteps. There's a difference in view from different floors of a building, after all. Also, people always take their first impression on someone and consider it as the person's whole.


Manman: You're right, those rumors are really baseless.


An expression filled with righteousness is written all over her face, as if she's about to say something, but her phone suddenly vibrated.


Manman: My boyfriend's call.


I stood a little further, and saw her subconsciously pouting, with a tint of redness gradually appearing on her face.


Manman: Mhm, I've submitted it. Are you at the entrance? Alright, I'll come over now.


You: Is your boyfriend waiting for you at the entrance?


Manman: Yeah... He insisted to pick me up, I'll get going, bye bye!



In the CEO office that is more than 10 floors away from the design center, Evan is holding onto his cup as he took a light sip of coffee from it. In his ears, he could still clearly hear the conversation earlier.


A strand of sunlight entered from the shutters. Evan lifted his gaze, and the shutter gradually turns under his gaze, allowing the golden light to pour in vigorously.


Upon submission and returning to the office, I was about to lie on the desk to rest for a moment, but my phone began to ring.


You: Hello, this is Design Center's Group A, may I know who you might be looking for?


??: Looking for you.


You: ... President Lu?!


Evan: You recognized me very quickly this time.


You: What a coincidence, there aren't anyone in the office, I heard the phone ringing as soon as I'm back.


Evan: Yes, it's really a coincidence.


It seems like Evan has let out a low chuckle from the other end of the phone.


Evan: Are you free right now?


You: Yes, I'm free.


Evan: Then open the door.


You: ... What?


Evan: I'm saying, open the door, I'm outside.


Holding onto the receiver, I opened a slit from the door unbelievably, and got welcomed by a pair of gentle eyes. Evan tilted his head as he stood behind the door, with his handphone sandwiched between his shoulder and ears, with the coffee in his hand that's still steaming a little.


Evan: Have you confirmed it now?


I quickly opened the door, and frantically pushed the clothing on the sofa aside.


You: President Lu, please have a seat.



Evan: It's a little hot, you can drink it after a while.


Evan did not sit down, and instead only placing the coffee down, and walked towards my desk as he picked up the design draft on it.


You: Uh, this is my work for the drafting competition this round...


Evan: I know.


He smiled as he nodded, but his gaze never left the draft.


You: What do you think?


Evan: I am pretty good sense when it comes to judging people*.


*T/N: Evan mentioned about how much he's trusted her sense, a.k.a. saying that she's done a good job.


You: Thank you very much... I'll work even harder!


Evan: Why are you always so nervous when you're seeing me? Are you afraid of me?


You: No, not at all, but you're the CEO, so I'll be a little nervous regardless.


Evan nodded intently, yet a sliver of mischief flashed before his eyes.


Evan: Then, as CEO, I can only give you an order. You'll only need to face me with your truest self. Since, I believe I've seen quite a lot about you.


Come to think of it, it is indeed what he's said, me looking lost in the coffee shop, and the panicked look in the elevator, he has seen them all.



Evan: So, would you listen to the CEO?


He raised an eyebrow, looking at me with full of amusement, and he has gazed at me so much that I'm a little flustered.


You: Yes...


And only then, Evan has smiled in satisfaction. He felt the temperature of the paper cup with his palm, and passed it to me.


Evan: Alright, you can drink it now.


The latte flows past the top of my tongue, with just the perfect temperature, it's just like the man before me. I can't help myself but to recall Manman's words. Withdrawn, alertness, gentleness, or full of ambition... which exactly is the true him? Or are all of these part of him?


Evan: Y/N, I have a regular primary family, a streamlined social circle, and I also have friends in a secular sense. Is a private life like this considered normal?


You: Ahem ahem ahem--


I suddenly feel very embarrassed, could he possibly have heard our conversation earlier?! It can't be that coincident, right?!


You: We're not discussing about you in the office on purpose, it was mentioned by accident.


Evan: I know, but I'd still like to explain it to you.



You: ... Me? Explain to me?



Evan: Otherwise who'd you like me to explain it to?


A tint of childishness appeared along with his smile, it's a lively expression that I've never seen from him.


You: Bu why do you want to explain these to me?


Evan: It's probably because, you aren't a mere spectator to me.


A cloud drifted by lowly outside of the windows, blocking the sunlight, and making the atmosphere misty yet thick.


When I've finally returned to my senses, his silhouette is no longer in the office, only that cup of coffee that is still slightly steaming. 



Chapter 5-03 Can be read here...




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.