Encounter with Sariel - Chapter 1-01: Pure White Shards / Sunset Mission | 光与夜之恋齐司礼邂逅:第一章【01 - 纯白碎片・日落任务】

7/03/2022 12:17:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Hello! This will be a story of multiple parts with multiple endings, I'll work on them part by part so it might take some time for the next updates, thank you for your patience!



【日落任务】

- 01: Sunset Mission -

- 1-1: Critical Weekend  -



Before the sun sets, I have to tidy everything in the storeroom properly...




It's early in the morning, where the morning sun just rose.


The dazzling sunlight passes through the gaps between overlapping layers of leaves in the forest, pouring specks of light in different shades onto the forest path.


And right now, I'm panting and dashing on this path that leads to Sariel's workshop like a maniac.


You: Forget about the delay in public buses, why can't I even get myself to call a cab? It's such a long struggle until the weekend's arrival, I hope I'm not late...



Not long ago, I took care of Sariel when he was sick in his workshop by chance. A few days later, Sariel gave a me a phone call, and asked me to look for him in his workshop with my usual practice design drafts.


Although Sariel was still as arrogant as ever on that day, but he has accurately pointed out the problems on my design drafts, and offered me professional suggestions.



At the same time, he also gave me permission to remain in his workshop until I'm done amending my design draft.


Before leaving, I can't help but to muster up my courage and ask Sariel if I can pay another visit. Sariel crossed his arms and leaned against the doorframe, looking towards me languidly, not giving any comments.


You: As long as you allow me to come here to learn, I'm willing to do anything!


Sariel chuckled softly.



Sariel: Come over then.



Ever since that day, as long as Sariel is free over the weekends, I'll proactively offer help in his workshop.


Sometimes I'll clean the courtyard, sometimes I'll feed the lizard, and sometimes I'll head out to run errands for him.


Although I'd usually be squeezed dry by Sariel, but no matter how busy he gets, he'll always spare time to have a look at the drafts I drew, and offer some tips.


The day where I can visit Sariel's workshop has gradually became the day of the week I look forward to the most.



You: *huff*... *huff*... Five more minutes until I reach there!


The sounds of winds rustling by my ear suddenly stopped, the melodious birdsongs in the forest also disappeared as though someone pressed the pause button.


You: ...?


It feels like there's an unfamiliar gaze examining me from behind.


Who is that?


I stopped my footsteps and turned around quickly. In a trance, I think I saw a pair of black eyes, with a scary coldness and inquisitiveness within.


The surrounding temperatures suddenly plummeted, and goosebumps climbed all over my body in an instant. But by the time I pulled myself together and take another look, there's already nothing over there. 


The gentle breezes brushes over my face, birds continued chirping on the tree branches, and I let out a long sigh.


You: I probably haven't woke up...


I shook my head aggressively to allow myself to sober up, and continued moving towards my destination.



Faint golden rays brightened up slowly, and the grey, blurry mists have dispersed. I panted, and finally stood before the villa.


The time on my phone is now 9.30AM.


You: Hah... hah... finally, I've finally made it...



Click-- The door opened.


Sariel appeared at the entrance, staring at me coldly, dressed entirely white, only the ends of his hair curling up slightly.



Sariel: Someone with such a "great sense of time" like you is already a rare sight.


I tidied my fringe in panic, and placed the messy strands of hair to the back of my ear.


You: ... Director Qi, good morning, uh, the sunlight today is so great...


You: If you could plan your time in advance, you wouldn't look this embarrassing now.


You: The bus tires got punctured halfway through, and I couldn't get a cab even after a long wait. So I ran my way on the last segment of my journey. I'm really sorry, I wasn't coming here at the last minute on purpose.


I secretly examined Sariel's expression. Disdain still exudes from his gaze, but he did not say anything, but the curled edges of his hair have drooped instead.


You: But you've immediately opened the door as soon as you heard my voice, were you very worried about me that you stayed on guard by the door?



Sariel: You really do overthink a lot.


He paused, and a sliver of mockery surfaced on his face.


Sariel: If your bizarre capability of correlation can be used on designing, then it won't take you long to be a top-tier designer.


... Looks like I've been overthinking.


Sariel: Why are you standing there in such a silly manner, aren't you going to come in?



My mission today is to tidy Sariel's storeroom for him. I was stunned the moment I followed Sariel into the storeroom.


Boxes of various sizes are stashed like a mountain, where each of them are packaged delicately.


I looked at the paper note stuck on them carefully, part of them are delivered by brands that seek collaboration with him, and another part are purely gifts sent to Sariel.


Sariel: Get rid of them all before the sun sets.


You: What are all of these?


I randomly opened a box, and a long robe fully embellished with diamond shards appeared right before me.


Although it's of great value, but the design of this clothing is too pompous. I imagined how Sariel looks like when he wears this long robe, and I can't help but to laugh at how entertained I was.



Sariel: If you have the time to be silly and happy, how about sparing that time to improve your productivity.


You: Okay! But are you going to throw them all? It feels like a waste...



Sariel: Handle them however you may, but you aren't allowed to disturb me.


- 1-2: Tidying the Storeroom -


After tossing his sentence, Sariel left the basement very quickly. I tied my hair, rolled my sleeves, and I'm prepared to have a battle with the box-filled room.


[Choice]



1-2-1: Throw them directly

1-2-2: Get rid of them after examining the boxes carefully

1-2-3: Clean the room too



1-2-1: Throw them directly


After tidying a few items, looking at the large amounts of remaining boxes, I started to feel a little tired.


You: Since Sariel is telling me to handle them however I wish, let's throw them all away then.


I made an appointment for the recycling company to pick them up.


Of course, in order to not wake Sariel, I requested the truck from the recycling company to park in somewhere 50m away, then carried the boxes over one by one. I've settled everything before sunset.


Sariel is still busy, so it's not nice of me to interrupt him too, so I left my design draft on the tea table, and

nimbly closed the door.



A few days later, I'm on my way home after work. The moonlight is a little faint, the originally brightly lit housing building is completely dark. I felt a little unsafe, and hastened my speed.


Leaves rustled, and a hoarse cry suddenly surged under the moonlight. I looked up--


My throat is suddenly strangled by an ice-like hand. Everything happened too quickly, before I can get myself to scream, a stinging smell filled my nose.


Losing my strength, I blinked, heartbeat gradually slowed down. The moonlight, the shadows of the trees, the city have all became blurry and vague, struggling as they are completely devoured by darkness.



??: There's only one ending for those who have ruined my plans.


This is the last thing I've heard before I lost my consciousness.




Normal End

- Branching Unexpected Happenings-

Who knows if a momentary convenience might attract more troubles?



1-2-2: Get rid of them after examining the boxes carefully


It's too wasteful to throw them away, so I've decided to examine them and see if there are items that can be donated.


[Leads to 1-3, just scroll down~]





1-2-3: Clean the room too


Not only is this room filled with things, it's also filled with dust. Looks like it has been a while since Sariel's in.


After spending some time with him, my tolerance towards dirty and messiness has also lowered.


You: It's still early, might as well help Sariel to clean the room. With that, it'll also be more convenient for me to tidy them too.


With great familiarity, I brought the mop, cleaning cloth and broom, and carefully cleaned the storeroom.


By the time I've finished cleaning and tidying the room, the moon is already hanging high up in the skies outside.


You: It's already so late...



Sariel: So you know that it's very late too?


The sudden voice made me jolt from shock.


I don't know when Sariel has made his appearance, but he's crossing his arm and looking at me emotionlessly while leaning against the doorframe.


Sariel: Still remember what I said in the morning?


You: !!


Oh right, he said "get rid of them all before the sun sets"... yet I was too indulged in cleaning, that I forgot about this timing completely.


You: I'm sorry...


Sariel: ......


Sariel turned around, looking as though he's about to leave, but paused after taking a few steps, and turned his face over slightly.


Sariel: I plan to have a meal outside.


You: Hm?



Sariel: If a certain someone wants to go together, it's not like I can't bring her along with me either.


Huh? Does he mean he's taking me out for a meal?


You: But I've clearly worked overtime...



Sariel: You've worked overtime, but you've also worked extra.



By the time I walked out of the workshop, Sariel has already parked his car at the entrance, and he's looking into the distant while leaning against his car door.


His expressions are gentle, with not a single sign of impatience. Water-like moonlight softly pours onto him, adding a tint of brightness onto his hair, and also softened his cold features.


In a trance, I feel like I've seen a Sariel that is different from usual. Out of nowhere, I suddenly had a wish--


I hope to see more sides of him in the days to come.




Normal End

-A different side of him-

It feels like I've missed something... how about trying to look more carefully!




- 1-3: A Weird Mirror -


I've decided to first open all the complicated boxes that takes up a lot of space, then flatten them all, so it's also more convenient to deliver them too.



You: What's with this super heavy matryoshka doll? Just how many dolls are contained?? Oh goodness... there's actually a limited edition perfume gift box here, the bottle is so delicately made! But it's almost expire, let's throw it.


There are many limited items that can't be bought by money that can expire in Sariel's place, I suppose I can only say that this is exactly his style.


I smiled as I shook my head, and randomly opened a brand new, pure black box. There's a delicate, antique hand mirror lying in it.


You: What's this?


A complicated pattern is carved around the edges of the mirror, and there's even a ruby embellished on its top, overall, it looks like a very antique yet expensive piece.


This is my first time sorting out antique items from this stash, is this a gift from someone to Sariel too?


You: How odd, no notes? Could it be at the bottom of the box?


The moment I hold onto the mirror handle, a strong sense of hatred surged from within.


Rich, gloomy, exuding an evil aura.



You: ...!?


I wanted to throw it away, but the mirror suddenly flashed. I subconsciously raised the mirror and aimed it to my face. On the flat and smooth mirror, there are no images seen within.


A dark smoke comes out from the bottom and tangled on my wrist, and everywhere it reaches felt extremely cold.


Faint, fine colors of blood arranging into hoops, as though they are some ancient yet evil ritual.


My head hurts as though there are needles piercing me. I'm in so much pain that I wanted to call for help, but I couldn't make a sound, only to watch the black gas consume me completely.


You: ......


"Clang--" The mirror fell onto the floor, and the empty storeroom returned to how it was.


The door is slowly pushed open, and the figure that arrived upon hearing the sounds quickly jumped towards the collapsed girl.


It looked at the perfect mirror in panic, then smelled the smell on the girl. The round eyes are suddenly filled with fear and worries.



??: Lao Qi! Hurry and come down! This is bad!


There are no sounds from the second floor, and the lizard is in so much panic it began hopping and yelling--



??: Hey, the one with surname Qi! Something happened to your girl!



Completion of this segment leads you to part 02!

Read Part 02 Here!




Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.