Main Story Chapter 14-20 (NIGHT END): The Angel who Crossed Boundaries (越界天使) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/02/2022 07:58:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Please consider reading Chapter 14-18 before proceeding~


You can also consider reading the LIGHT END here if you haven't!


TRIGGER WARNINGS:

Mentions of blood, knives, assault





The rich smell of blood surrounded me tightly. I covered my mouth, and a sour taste surges out from the depths of my throat.



I couldn't recall how Charlie dragged me out of the hospital. By the time I returned to my senses, I'm already in the bustling street.


The crowd separated Charlie from me. When I subconsciously wanted to call out to him, a man dressed in black suit walked against the crowd, and stopped before me.


When I lifted my head and saw his face clearly, I'm shocked and confused.



You: ... Lu Ting?


Why is he here? And why is he obstructing my path?


I don't understand the answer to all of these, only to have a sharp instinct that he is coming here with ill intentions.


Lu Ting did not answer, only examining me with a frown.


Lu Ting: The illusionary world just now, were you the one breaking it?


You: Illusionary world? You're saying that one in the hospital--


So the illusionary world was made by Lu Ting?! Just when I realized this matter, I suddenly felt my throat tightened, and my voice stopped immediately.


It's a very weird feeling, as though there's a shapeless pressure drilling into my brain, controlling my attempts to speak.


Lu Ting walked a little closer to me. I saw his eyes clearly, and there's a dangerous tint of redness within.


It's him who made me unable to speak! He's a Strain!


His identities and actions, even the odd timing of his appearance here have all made me panic, and immediately wanting to turn around and escape.


However, a similar feeling just now surges again. This time, my legs stopped obeying me, only to stand still at where I am.


I'm being controlled.


How did he do that? Only with a mere exchange of glance? What's his aim from doing this?


Incapable to move, I can only widen my eyes, and looked at Lu Ting approaching me with full alert.



Lu Ting: There are a few questions that I require your answer. Since you know about illusionary worlds, you should understand that it is impossible for ordinary humans to break through my illusionary world. But you aren't a Strain, nor you are an Erda, what exactly are you...


His gaze is filled with doubt, but it contained more joy and anticipation.


But I couldn't understand what he said at all, of course I'm not a Strain nor an Erda, I'm just an ordinary person through and through.


I wanted to refute by voicing out, but I couldn't budge at all.


Lu Ting: I almost forgot, you can't speak.


A red light flashed by Lu Ting's eyes.


You: *cough cough*...


As though I've just awakened from a dream, I've finally obtained the controls over my body once again. Before I can think in time, I immediately turned around and run away, and began to yell for help at the same time.


You: Help me!


From the corner of my eyes, Lu Ting's face became wretched, but he didn't make a move.


Why isn't he chasing after me? I thought in a blur, ran even faster, and saw the nearby alley getting closer and closer. 


Just then, a woman's figure suddenly flashed to the alley entrance, and obstructed my path.


Turning around in panic, I noticed there are a few more people behind me. Their expressions are all sluggish, as though they are all soulless puppets.


I suddenly realized what the sense of anomaly I've been feeling since the beginning was.


We're clearly still in a bustling street, but there aren't anyone approaching Lu Ting and I, not even with a curious look.


Are these people... all controlled by Lu Ting?


The approaching sounds of footsteps are just like a countdown to danger, I wanted to look for a timing to break through the surroundings.


However, Lu Ting has no plans to give me a chance like this at all. A figure jumps out from the corner, with a blade in hand, and pounced right towards me--



??: Watch out!


A warm and powerful embrace wrapped me tightly. Both of us rolled on the floor, and barely managed to dodge the attack.


I looked up, and saw the person before me clearly.


You: Jesse...


Even I didn't realize that my tensed nerves relaxed for an instant, because the person appearing before me is someone I can absolutely trust on.


As though it's the sunlight that chases off the endless night, I couldn't avert my gaze off him for a moment.



Jesse: It's okay now, Y/N.


Jesse blocked himself before me, as though he can block off all the insidious and sinister matters outside.


Lu Ting's examining gaze looked around us, and the redness under his eyes deepens.


Uncertain if it's my misperception, I felt Jesse's figure to have tensed.


Jesse: You are... a Strain.


Lu Ting: And who are you?


As though there's hatred and disgust that he couldn't suppress, Jesse's back began to tremble slightly.


Probably having himself noticing the difference in Jesse, Lu Ting's expression became a little tensed. With an arm raised, the controlled people are all attacking us at once!


You: !


Before I can manage to call out to Jesse for him to be careful, he has already hugged me quickly, dodging with nimble movements.


However, Lu Ting gave us no chance to have a breather, and immediately commanded those people to continue surrounding us.


It's not good to keep dodging like this either. I looked towards Jesse worriedly, and coincidentally met his gaze.


He smiled towards me with comfort.



Jesse: Don't be afraid, I know what to do.


Startled slightly, I nodded in affirmation.


You: Okay, I'm not afraid.


He raises his arm and tossed out a few yellow talismans and bit the tip off his index finger. The talismans slowly burned, flew to different directions, and steadily stuck onto those who are controlled.


Then, Jesse muttered some words. The men and women who were moving stiffly showed an expression as though they've just woken up from a dream, then collapsed altogether.



Lu Ting: You can control souls of the living?


I widened my eyes in surprise. So did Jesse allowed those people to be out of Lu Ting's control?


You: !


I turned around, but I noticed that Jesse's temples began sweating.


You: Is it because you used a mantra? Are you okay?


Very rarely, he did not answer me, but to lower his gaze, and looked towards the collapsed people on the floor.



Jesse: Formation of ShiFang in hand, control all beings and evil shall be gone*...


*I don't know where exactly this is coming from, but in 《罗天大醮设醮仪》, ShiFang is one of the Sages that is invited in the mantra, and the ritual was for nation's safety, atonement of sin, for birth, and many other usages. However, similar mentions are also used in some fictional stories as a barrier to trap enemies, where it literally means "10 directions". So I'm about 60% certain it's partially made up. I guess you can imagine it as some magical circle...? Basically, 吾有十方阵 means "I have ShiFang formation in hand",and 却邪驱万物  means "Control all beings and dispel evil". 


The talismans Jesse tossed out suddenly lets out a golden light, and projected a giant image on the ground.


As though he realized something, Lu Ting was about to retreat backwards, but a barrier that connects from the skies and ground has already formed in an instant, and trapped him within.


Not only that, the golden talisman writing on the barrier is getting increasingly blinding, and the rays of light are just like arrows, about to pierce through Lu Ting's body.


Lu Ting's eyes reddened so much as though they are about to combust. He glared at us with hatred, and on the next second, his body actually disappeared in the lights of the formation*


*You can imagine it as something like a magical circle, but likely related to Taoism rather than the ones you see in general anime, since Jesse practices Taoism.


You: Did he escape?


Just then, the scene before my eyes darkens, and turns out Lu Ting appeared in a spot only a few centimeters away from me!


I couldn't manage to dodge him, only trying my best to turn sideways to avoid being attacked on my vital organs. It was almost an instant, that the sounds of body being pierced sounded by my ear.


But the pain I've imagined did not arrive.


In the rich smell of blood, I saw Jesse's paper-like pale face, and the continuously dripping blood in his palm.


You: Jesse! Your hand!


As though he has no time to spare to comfort me, he only made a sound in response, and took another talisman from his other hand without my awareness.


He waved it aggressively, countless blood spilled, and fell into the soil.


The surrounding air suddenly cools down, the eerily cold wind surrounded us. I suddenly feel a dark power gathering us.


I got so nervous that I almost forgot how to breathe. I've seen how Jesse uses mantras for many occasions, but my instincts are telling me, that it's different this time.


I can't let him continue anymore!


You: Wait--



Jesse: Spirits of all realms I summon thee, act on my commands; With my soul as thy medium, from hell you shall all come to life*!


*I also have no idea where this is coming from. The original text is, from my personal understanding and may not be 100% true, 九幽生灵众 (Every spirit being from all nine realms**),听吾令随行 (Move according to my commands/ orders);以吾魂作桥 (Use my soul as the bridge),万千幽冥生 (all spirits shall come to live from hell)

**The Chinese Mythologies have 4 main systems - Kunlun Mythologies, FengLai Mythologies, ChuShen Mythologies, and ZhongYuan Mythologies. In the Mythologies, Dan Dao (丹道), a side branch of Taoism (sometimes also seen with negative connotations from Taoism), there is 九重天 (nine realms of skies) and then there's also 九幽 is the nine realms of the grounds. There's a mountain in Dan Dao called 背阴山 (Mt. BeiYin), (remember the Yin and Yang concept in Taoism) where this place is completely filled with the power of Yin with not a single trace of Yang, and with the nine realms, you have 18 layers of hell behind Mt. BeiYin - hence this part from Jesse is him summoning every spirit from the nine realms of the grounds. The last part, 万千 is a term where I'd generally translate to "millions" but it also has the meaning of "many, all" depending on the context. 幽 usually means "quiet" but it can also be used for ghosts (幽灵). 冥  means hell or darkness, and 生 represents life - so in this part it means he's bringing the ghosts from hell he commanded into life.


In an instant, an eerie overcast brushed around us.


The moon and stars are already covered by dark clouds before I was aware of it, with little specks of lights continued to gather around us, and finally reflected into endless shadows of people.


The semi-transparent "people" who are exuding black aura crawled out from the soil, all looking twisted and ferocious, with eerie laughs sounding from their mouths. 


I looked towards Jesse in disbelief.


And this time, he stopped looking me completely. Rich shades seeps out from the pair of bright eyes, looking straight towards Lu Ting on the opposite side.


Those "people" have all gathered into a gale, carrying their corrosive wraths and hatred, brushing by out side, and cried as they gushed towards Lu Ting.


Colors of blood is seen in the skies, where grounds thundering as though there are beasts trampling across the land. Sounds of swallowing and tearing echoed continuously by my ears, it was as though I'm standing in hell.


It felt like a long, long time has passed, but it also felt like it took only a moment, the gale stopped, and the world has returned to its quietness.


We are now only surrounded by the collapsed passerby, and Lu Ting has already disappeared.


You: Is he... dead?



Jesse: He escaped.


Jesse lowered his head and looked at me, showing a weak smile.


Jesse: Although I'm feeling a little unwilling to admit defeat, but forget it, I'll seek revenge from him next time.


Looking at the familiar smile, I subconsciously pounced and hugged him.


Right when I hugged him, he leaned on my shoulder, as though the last strand of his strength was drawn away.


I quickly supported him, and lowered my head to look at his fully bruised hand. His hand is so cold, and he's holding me with almost no strength.


You: You've bled so much...



Jesse: It's just my hand, I'm not injured anywhere else, it's fine.


Jesse's gaze darkened after only saying a sentence.


He touched my hem, and the trace of blood on it has darkened, and turned into clots.



Jesse: Is this your blood?


I stunned for a moment, and suddenly recalled the scene in the hospital, it's probably gotten on me by accident.


You: I can't tell this clearly for now... but it's not my blood.


Jesse: ... That's good enough to know.


He used all his remaining strength, and hugged me into his arms tightly.


The feelings of pain and lostness that can't be sorted out is soothed by this firm warmth, and I hugged him back tightly too.


Jesse: If I knew it earlier, I shouldn't have put on a tough side on the rooftop.


You: What?



Jesse: There's just no way for me to not care about you. I will never...


His voice is hoarse and weak, that I can't even hear him clearly even if he's this close to me.


You: You should rest up, don't talk anymore.


Some weight is felt on me. It's him nodding lightly.


Moonlight pours onto the soft bedding, and Jesse gently covers the blanket for the girl.


On his way home, due to exhaustion, the girl fell asleep on his shoulder.


He actually had a lot of questions he wanted to ask, and it must've been the same for her as well, but they both know, that it isn't a good timing for questions for tonight.


The pain coming from his face is continuously reminding Jesse, that he is not going to be able to hide it soon.



He lowered the brim of his hair, and quickly left the house.


Because he used that tabooed mantra, he has already exhausted himself completely.


But he knew, that this is not the only punishment he's about to face.



Three youths in uniforms collapsed messily on the floor. The ambulance stops before them, and disappeared after carrying them up.


Jesse clenches onto his fist, and looked at the ambulance driving away with an empty gaze. Suddenly, a figure dashes quickly towards him, and a loud slap followed right onto his face.


???: What did you do to those people?!



Jesse: They almost killed an innocent child--


Jesse's Father: No matter what the reason is, you can't use that type of mantra! Where did you secretly learn it from? Say it!


Holding his burning cheek, looking at his father's disappointing gaze, the joy of him beating bullies have all dissipated.



Jesse: I'm not going to tell you! What's wrong with me wanting to become strong and save people? If I can't protect my family and be righteous, then what are you making me to learn these mantras for?!


Jesse's Father: How dare you to talk back to me! The Xia family doesn't need to be protected with means like this!


The more he listens, the more wronged he feel. Tears are about to burst on the next second, so he bumped his father off, and ran off without looking back.



On that night, he spaced out towards the night skies in the balcony. His father quietly walked up to his back.


Jesse heard it, but did not speak. The other party remained silent for a long time, so long that the night breezes have blown the clouds away, and he finally spoke.


Jesse's Father: Do you still remember your grandfather? There are times I would still see him in my dreams.


Jesse nodded, but still unwilling to speak.



Jesse's Father: The will of the deceased will always live with us. But these wills are not necessarily good, there are also many bad ones, that they can even be called the wills of the evil. 



Jesse's Father: Us Taoist exorcists have borrowed the power of the Gods, that we can do things that ordinary people can't. It is our duty to practice righteousness with our tiny bodies. But to summon evil spirits and command souls, evil sorcery like this not only won't bring righteousness, but it'll also bring you to the wrong path, and you will be devoured.


Jesse drooped his head, looking at his little palm, deep in thoughts.


Jesse's Father: Tell me, where did you learn the mantras to command ghosts? Did you secretly read the forbidden books?



Jesse: I didn't! I don't even know where you've hidden the books. I just happened to chat with some ghosts that had some experience in things, and somehow I managed to learn them in a blur.


Jesse's Father: I see... Xia MingXing, you have to remember this. The better your Talent is, the heavier your responsibility is, and there's more need for you to have self restrains. You might not understand it completely... but you must first make a promise to me.


Jesse looks up, his father's heavy palm caressed the top of his head, then patted on his thin shoulder.


Jesse's Father: The stars in the skies are our ancestors. You have to make an oath, to never use evil sorceries like that ever again.


Jesse: Understood... I'll never use it again.



Well, that was what he said, right? But by the end of the day, he still betrayed his oath.


So he paid a heavy price. Perhaps, this is a warning from his father who has turned into a star.


The subway compartment slowly stops before him. The automatic door opens, Jesse walked into it, and leaned against the door.


It's clearly not midnight, but there isn't another person in the train.



The train slowly departs from the platform, the advertisement light boxes are all tossed behind. It's pitch black outside the windows, reflecting Jesse's face.


The originally perfect skin, as though it's just like an old wall, it began to crack, fall out, and a dark, red liquid seeps out from within.


As though it's cursed.


He raised an arm to gently touch the side of his face, again and again, as though he is seriously remembering that special form of pain.


Father was right, when forbidden powers are used, he'll eventually be devoured by it.


Jesse: But... I think I wasn't wrong. I can't allow the Strains to take important people away from me anymore.


Uncertain if it was a misperception, he felt a creepily cold wind from the train.


The wind is howling, as though they wanted to bring him to somewhere unknown.


Perhaps what awaits before him is only a darker darkness. But besides continuing to move forward, there's already no other choices for him.


.

.

.

.

You can read Chapter 14's LIGHT END here!


Chapter 15 will be officially released in another week. Translations will be much later.


Until my next update, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.