Encounter with Sariel - Chapter 1-02: Pure White Shards / Lost in the Past | 光与夜之恋齐司礼邂逅:第一章【02 - 纯白碎片・迷失过往】

7/04/2022 01:19:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

You can read Chapter 1-01 here before proceeding with this Encounter for context!



【迷失过往】

02: Lost in the Past -

- 2-1: Abyss of Memory Loss -



Who are you? And who... am I?




My head has never hurt this much before. Feeling like I'm floating on the vast seas, faint sounds of calling sounded by my ear, one after another.



You: Who... who is calling me...


I used all my might to widen my eyes, feeling completely incapable of using a single bit of strength all over my body. I panted as I nervously stared at the ceiling for quite a while, only then, the unspeakable powerless has finally receded.


I sat up slowly, and examined my surrounding environment.


You: Where's this...


What lies before me is a minimalist, wooden style room, but the overall arrangement and furniture shows a sense of luxury, that I could feel the great sense of elegance of the room's owner.


But why am I waking up from this unfamiliar room?


Suddenly, a slit opened from the room's door, and a ball of white shadow flashed by. What's that? My heart throbbed in shock, and I quickly climbed up from the bed.



I pushed the door open to find a spacious living room before my eyes, where a silver-haired man is holding a book, sitting at the center of the living room sofa.


He is frowning slightly, gaze never on the book, as though he's thinking about something else.


Upon hearing a sound, he lifted his head up, expressions stunned slightly when he saw me.


I am stunned.


What a beautiful person... such delicate outline, light-colored skin, beautiful features... there's nowhere about him that doesn't attract my gaze.


It's just that the pair of eyes are now containing a heavy and cold emotion, that I dare not to approach him.


He stood up and walked towards me.



??: You're finally awake, how do you feel now?


Seeing that I'm only staring at him in a blur, the man's beautiful brows turned into a frown.


??: Answer my question.


- 2-2: Doubtful-



Does he... know me?





[Choice]



2-2-1: Who are you?

2-2-2: Who am I?

2-2-3: Run away




2-2-1: Who are you?


You: Who are you?


A sense of heaviness trailed by the man's eyes, and he frowned again.



Sariel: Do you really not remember anymore?


You: ... What do you mean?


The man gazed at me, deeply, quietly, and seemingly inquisitively.


I can't help but to feel afraid, and retreated a step backwards.


You: Excuse me, mister, where is this place? Why am I here?


The man closed his eyes without uttering a word, and his cold expression sunk a little.


??: Do you remember who you are?


You: Of course I know, I'm-- I'm...


I stunned, words froze by my lips. I couldn't tell at all, on what my name is.


The room falls into a deep silence.


Fear struck me too suddenly, and my mind went into complete blankness. I tried my best to search within my memories, but there aren't a single thing there.


So... who am I?


??: ... Go back to the room and rest up for now.


He speaks as he walked a few steps closer towards me.


You: I don't know you, don't come over.


I kept retreating backwards, and my weak legs have suddenly tripped instead, and just when I was about to see myself falling to the floor--


A large hand suddenly held my waist. The man stood right before me, looking at me from above.


You: Let go of me!



??: Be quiet.


His expression and tone still sounded cold, but the sternness hidden within made me helpless all of a sudden.


To lose all of my memories as soon as I woke up, not only the first person I saw is unfamiliar to me, he's also such a difficult person to be with.


Helplessness, discomfort, feelings of being wronged and other sorts of emotions interweaved in my heart. Very quickly, my eyes are already filled with tears.


The man startled a little, and a sliver of helplessness surfaced from the beautiful face, as though he can't bear himself to see me cry.



??: ... Don't cry anymore.


I was originally just sobbing, but upon hearing his softened tone of speech, my nose suddenly felt sore, and tears are instead falling uncontrollably.


You: ... I- I don't want to cry either, but I can't remember anything at all, I can't control myself...


The man pinched between his brows and lets out a sigh.


Then, my body suddenly became light, and be bridal-carried me to the bedroom.


You: What are you doing...? Who exactly are you?


??: Save your energy and don't talk, I'll tell you later.


His expressions has returned to his earliest coldness, but his tone is still gentle, that I subconsciously stopped crying slowly.



??: Lao Qi oh Lao Qi, this is my very first time hearing you speaking so gently, shot yourself in the foot, huh?


??: Shut up.



The man turned around, as though he's speaking to the air, then closed the door. 


On the next second, he placed me onto the bed, and sat down by the chair beside me.


??: Rest well, don't simply move around.


[Leads to 2-3, just scroll down~]




2-2-1: Who am I?


You: Do you know who I am?


Seeing the man suddenly widening his eyes, I realized that my question came a little sudden.


You: I'm sorry... my head is feeling dizzy, I think I don't remember anything anymore...


The man stunned, strides towards me, and asked me sternly in a quiet voice.


??: Do you remember what happened before you were asleep?


Before I was asleep... I searched for my memories in my mind, but I can only see a ridiculous blankness.


You: Name, parents, friends... I can't remember any of these anymore...


A great sense of fear surges from the depths of my body. Ridiculously, I realized that I couldn't grasp onto even a single fragment of memory.


Panic, sadness, helplessness, all sorts of emotions are in a mess.


??: Look at me.


A hand suddenly lifted my chin, and I had no choice but to gaze towards him.


??: Do you remember who I am, then?


His gaze sank, as though a cloud of mist is hidden within, but it's also as though it's igniting a fire.


A familiar feeling quietly surfaces from my heart.


You: You are--


His finger tightly pinching my chin subconsciously added some strength.


You: I don't know...


A sliver of disappointment and frustration flashed past his eyes.


Why did he show such an expression when I said I don't know, he looks a little annoyed, is he someone that I am supposed to know?


I struggled a little, but he pinched my chin even tighter.


You: Can you let go? It hurts a little.


The man lets go of his hand, pinched between his brows, seemingly a little helpless and apologetic.


??: ... Go back to the room and rest for now.


You: Who are you to me? Why should I listen to you?


I subconsciously retreated backwards, but my legs suddenly weakened, and after wobbling a little and seeing that I'm about to collapse to the floor--


A strong arm held me just in time, and a faint scent of sandalwood surges up.


This feeling is oddly familiar, but as long as I think about it in detail, my mind hurts as though there are needles stabbing me. I can't help but to struggle even more.


You: Let go of me...!


??: Don't move.


He paused, frowning slightly, and lowered his voice.


??: ... What are you crying for?


I've just realized that my eyes are already teary before I even knew it.


??: If you wish to waste time on meaningless crying, I'm fine with that.


They are clearly cold words, but surprisingly comforted my anxious heart. He's right, besides venting my mood, it's useless to cry.


I reached out my arms and aggressively rubbed my eyes blurred by tears, and allowed this cold man to look clear again in my line of vision.


Judging from each and every action from this man ever since he saw me, he is someone who knows me.


What I have to do now is to calm down and try my best to gather any information related to myself, and have control on my current situation.


And he is the way I can break through this.


??: If you're not crying, then go back and lay down. Holding you makes my arms very sore.



I nodded, and obediently returned to the earlier room.


By the time I laid down on the bed, the man walked in too, then leaned into the chair on the side.


[Leads to 2-3]


2-2-3: Run away


The man's cold words shocked me.


An unfamiliar room, an unbelievably beautiful man that I'm unfamiliar with, memories that I can't recall... all of these exudes danger and creepiness.


The man is still approaching me a step after another, and the fear in my heart immediately reached its peak--


With my mind set, I pushed him off aggressively, and gathered my strength to run out from the house.


I ran towards a single direction with all my might, as though there's a hungry beast chasing after me, that I don't even mind even if the slippers on my feet were left behind.


I ran all the way my clothes are drenched with sweat, and until I have not a sliver of strength left on me, that I've finally knelt down on the ground and gasped for air.


As my heartbeat slowly calms down, sounds of the bustling city are finally heard.



But I stunned right at my place the moment I looked up.


Because the bustling city now, to me, is also cold and unfamiliar.


Normal End



- Strangers -

Would the trustworthy person be just right before my eyes?





- 2-3: Calm Counters -


I looked at the man massaging his temples, and subconsciously curled myself up into the blankets.


What exactly could my relationship with this man be? Although he's very good-looking, but he doesn't seem to have good temper, and he looks a little arrogant.


I can feel that he knows me, but would someone like this be my friend?



??: Is there a flower on my face?


I shook my head.


??: Then please look away, stop staring at me.


You: Okay...


I pouted and averted my gaze. Now I'm not even allowed to look at him anymore, this person does really have a terrible temper.


You: You just told me you'll tell me what I wanted to know. May I know if you know my name? How old am I? I--


Sariel: Shut up for now.


The man pondered for a few minutes, and took out his phone.


He exhorted to the person in the phone call a little, and asked the other party to send my information over.


About a few seconds later, the man's phone notification sounded. He took a glance, then handed the phone to me.



??: Look at it yourself. Control your emotions when you read it, don't be suddenly surprised here and there.


You: Okay.


I took the phone over, and slide it as I read in detail.


You: So my name is Y/N, and I'm a designer... and you're Sariel, the design director of Warson Group? And turns out I'm your subordinate?


Sariel's originally frowning brows slowly soothes out, and squinted at me.



Sariel: Though I really didn't want to acknowledge that you're my subordinate with your actual capability.


You: ... Can you tone down when you talk to me?


Probably not expecting me to refute him, Sariel rose a brow slightly as he examined me.


You: My mind is now in a mess, nor I can control my emotions well... You don't seem like you can't quite handle me crying, correct?


After a short silence, Sariel looked away, and scoffed softly in his throat.


Although he doesn't have a good temper, but he's still a sensible person, and he's a man of his words too.


Let me try asking him some deeper question then.


You: Do you know why I'll lose my memories?


Sariel: ......


You: Also, should I be visiting a doctor?


Sariel: I've already asked for a home doctor to check up on you when you were unconscious.


You: Then what did the doctor say? When will I be able to recover my memories?


I looked towards Sariel in anticipation, but he only turned his face away slightly, avoiding my gaze.


Sariel: The doctor said, your case isn't a normal memory loss, so there's no way for him to help you recover through normal treatment methods. But there's someone who can use another way to help you recover your memories, I'll bring you to him afterwards.


You: ... Huh? I don't understand what you mean, what do you mean about my case isn't a normal memory loss? And what do you mean by using another way to help me recover my memories? Normally speaking, shouldn't you be looking for other doctors if the doctor you found earlier couldn't treat me? Or are you saying that the one you're looking for is not a doctor at all...


Sariel: You only have to remember what I said just now, you don't have to understand it.


Sariel's expression that allows no refutes blocked off my further inquiries, and it looks like he isn't planning to explain to me in detail anymore.


I took a deep breath, forcefully suppressing my anxiousness once again, and asked in a hoarse voice.


You: When will we be departing to look for this person you mentioned?


Sariel remained silent for a moment, and spoke coldly.


Sariel: When the time's right.


You: Doesn't that mean that this person you mentioned isn't that easily found, am I right?


Sariel: ... You can understand it that way. You can live in my place for now, when the time is right, I'll bring you to that person.


You: You're allowing me to live in your house throughout this period?!


Sariel: Is there anywhere inappropriate?


It's inappropriate in every aspect!


You: This isn't appropriate isn't it, we're just a normal superior and subordinates... You've already agreed to help me to recover my memories, it'll be too troublesome to you if I were to live in your house again.


Sariel stood up, crossed his arms and looked at me from above.


Sariel: I'll ask you, do you still remember where your house is?


You: Uh.


Seeing that I'm stuck with my words, Sariel sneered mercilessly.


Feeling dejected, I looked down, and subconsciously saw the phone Sariel placed on the table.


You: Oh right! The message you showed me just now has my address written doesn't it?


Sariel: It's written indeed.


You: Can you let me have another look at the information?


Sariel: I can forward it to your phone.


Sariel tossed another phone to me.


I swiped the screen in joy, but I stunned when I saw the password entry screen.


I tried my best to recall numbers that could possibly be the password, but my mind is in complete blank, and there's no memories that I can rely on to become my attempts.


Sariel sneered as he leaned down, arms supporting against the bed on both sides, and approached me from above.


Sariel: So, do you think there's a point for you to go back in your current state?


You: ... ... ... ... ...


It's pointless.


Someone who can't even unlock her phone, what else can she do even if she can go home safely?


The great sense of powerlessness surrounded me slowly. I curled myself together, lowered my reddening eyes, and no longer spoke.


A soft sigh seemed to have sounded by my ear. The phone I clenched tightly onto is drawn away, and another item is stuffed in my hand.


I looked up, and noticed that I'm holding another phone.


You: ... What's this?


Sariel: This is your phone.


You: Huh?


I brightened the screen, and the password unlock interface is still what first pops out.


Even if this phone is really mine, it's still useless if I can't unlock it...


As though he has seen through my thoughts, Sariel's fingertips pointed at the phone screen.


Sariel: Your phone has a feature to unlock by fingerprint.


You: Eh?!


I suddenly shivered, and immediately straightened up my body and swiped the screen bright again, and nervously attempted to press my finger onto the fingerprint unlock area.


You: ... Ah, it's true!


Looking at the unfamiliar traces that was indeed left by me, the surging joy in my mind has replaced the hovering powerlessness.


I looked at Sariel in front of me, and felt a little puzzled.


You: ... Then why did you give me another phone just now?


Sariel sat back into the chair, supporting his chin with an arm, and glanced at me with a mocking smile.


Sariel: I just wanted to make sure that you're clear on how unwise it would be for you to leave this place hastily at this stage. If anyone would like to cheat you, that would be overly easy, since you couldn't even recognize your own phone, is that not?


I can't help but to fluster, so I quickly lowered my head and pretended to look at the phone, so I wouldn't get teased by him again.


Sariel is my superior, not only he knows me, he also has my detailed information. I can also learn about other information related to me through him.


Also, with someone to take care of me, I would also be able to accommodate to my life after losing my memories too. How about I agree to him and stay here?


But-- I closed my eyes.


There must also be other reasons for Sariel to not allow me to leave his house. I've clearly asked him two questions just now, but he only answered one.


Is the reason of my memory loss that hard to be spoken of? What exactly is he hiding? An unspeakable worry surges in my heard. I slowly looked up, and met Sariel's gaze who's also looking at me.


That pair of eyes are still so beautiful.


I wanted to see if there are anything he's scheming or if there are any trickery from his eyes, but I didn't. Although there's only forbearance in his eyes, but it's honest and bright. These eyes are even... giving me a very familiar feeling.


-- Can I believe in him?


-- I can only believe in him.


At least for now, besides believing in him, I don't have a better choice for the time being.


I took a deep breath, lifted my head up, and smiled at Sariel.


You: Then I'll interrupt you for a few more days at your home. I'm sorry, I've caused you trouble just now.


Sariel: You're indeed quite troublesome when you cry.


I understand that he's mocking me about me tearing up over little things, so my cheeks can't help but to fluster.


You: I won't do that anymore.


I obediently placed the phone beside the pillow, laid down, and stared at the ceiling. I'm calmer than I've imagined, I didn't go hysteric, nor I doubted everything.


I believe that the memories that belonged to me will eventually return to me, and as long as I know who I am, it's not so scary anymore.


My tensed body slowly relaxed under the warm sunlight, sleepiness struck me, and I closed my eyes.


Until sounds of long, steady breaths are sounding in the room, Sariel has finally looked up. Looking at the gradually relaxing face after the girl is asleep, his constantly frustrated heart has calmed down too.


Every response ever since her loss of memories, is already much stronger than he has imagined.


Sariel stood up and walked to the girl's bedside. The girl's slightly frowning even in her dreams.


Sariel: You really can't make me stop worrying at all...


Sariel frowned, muttering softly, raised his arm and gently soothed the girl's frown.



Completion of this segment leads to Chapter 1-03!

You can read Chapter 1-03 here!




Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.