Main Story Chapter 14-16: The Angel who Crossed Boundaries (越界天使) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/01/2022 11:28:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Please consider reading Chapter 14-14 before proceeding~


TRIGGER WARNINGS:

Mentions of illegal drug trial, substance abuse




After visiting Xiao Lang, I've found more victims of Yu Da Academy. But there were only some of them who are willing to communicate with me.


Whenever they describe the incident, they will show a pained expression. And there were also times it is worse than pain, it's a form of numbness, as though they can avoid the harms from their memories by pulling themselves away from it.


From their description, I've learnt that there are way more than over 80 people who died to Yu Da Academy's "treatment", and the count of those who've been missing are even much greater.


Almost everyone mentioned about "medical treatment", but I do not understand what this means.


Again and again, I have to recall the aim of me doing all of these, it's for the truth, for these pains to not be buried off, and for... these people around me.


Only with this, that the suffocating feeling after each phone call or meeting will disperse.


The continuous, intensive investigation drained me out completely, that even this bustling city I'm living in seems to be filled with pressure in my eyes at this point.



On that night, I took a trip back to my old house. Sitting on the rooftop and looking over the unchanging old street for over decades, it's as though I can momentarily stop thinking about many matters by doing this.


Just when I was about to leave, looking sideways, I noticed someone unexpected on the rooftop next door. 


You: Jesse? What brings you here?


When Jesse saw me, his smile stalled for a second before it bloomed.



Jesse: I didn't expect you to be here too.


He stood up, easily took a stride to my rooftop, and sat by my side.


Jesse: I was just having a feeling to come back and have a look.


I nodded, and suddenly, I detected a faint smell of burnt ash.


My heart clenched, and recalled the time Jesse ignited incenses before me.


I immediately grabbed onto his sleeve, and leaned a little closer.


You: What's that smell on you, did you burn incense just now?


Jesse laughed and pat on my hand.



Jesse: Why didn't I know your sense of smell was this good back then? Okay, I'll admit it, I did burn incense just now.


You: Did you perform a ritual again? Are you tired now--


Before waiting for me to finish, Jesse shook his head.


Jesse: But I didn't use any mantras, only burning the incense and prayed in front of my father's photo.


You: Your father...


I immediately recalled the scene I accidentally saw when I touched Jesse, so he's back to pray at his father, right?


Unsure of what to say, I can only raise another hand, and gently placed it over the back of his palm.


You: I'll send my prayers to Uncle* later too.


*Not biological uncle, just a way of endearment.


Jesse: Sure! He hasn't seen you for so long, he must've missed you too.


Jesse paused, and looked into the clouds in the skies.



Jesse: In your eyes, what kind of person my father was?


You: Eh?


Cheeks in my hands, I looked towards the empty lot in front of Jesse's house and recalled the times we've spent there.


You: I didn't communicate with Uncle that much, only remembering that he's a good policeman who's serious and responsible, and he's very busy at work. Whenever I go over your house to play, he's always not home. Also... he's a stern person, he doesn't like to smile, and he's also very strict towards you. I was initially a little scared of him, but granny said, the reason why Uncle was like that, was because he had high hopes on you. So there are times I'd secretly feel envious of you too, I think it's pretty nice to have a father like that. 



Jesse: Listening to how you evaluate him gives a somewhat unfamiliar feeling.


I looked sideways, feeling a little puzzled. But Jesse's still looking up to the skies, gazing directly, and looking into somewhere very, very far away.


You: Why are you suddenly ask this?


Jesse: Maybe it's the seasonal blues, so I got a little emotional.


He turned his head sideways and smiled at me, but the usual perkiness is nonexistent in his gaze, but instead looking a little lost.


Jesse: Say, would there be a side that we don't understand, even if it's the person that we are the closest and the most familiar with?


[Choice]



Night: Probably

Light: I don't think so




[Night Choice: Probably]


You: Probably, actually, I sometimes feel the same about you too.


Jesse: Me?


You: Taking now for example, how you look like there are many things occupying your mind makes me feel unfamiliar.


Jesse: ......





[Light Choice: I don't think so]


You: I don't think so. When faced with the person they are the closest and the most familiar with, it's difficult for people to hide themselves.


Jesse: Is that so?


You: Taking now for example, although you didn't want to tell me, but I could still see it with a glance. Something is bothering your mind.


Jesse: ......



You: Don't worry, I won't ask in detail. Just tell me when you feel like telling me.


I smiled at him, and followed with a wink.


You: After all, there's also one or two little secrets that I don't feel like telling you either. We'll be even with this.


Jesse: Hah, turns out you're scheming for something else.


Jesse smiled. The moonlight pours into his eyes, and he finally looked like his usual self.


Jesse: But it's a pity, as someone who's the closest to you, I've already seen you through!


You: Then why didn't you say so earlier?


Jesse: Because I think, if you really do need my help, you'll definitely ask me. You didn't tell me, only because you think you can solve it well, and you don't wish for me to be worried either. If I were still like how I used to be, where I had to care about everything you do... then I'm really not growing as a person at all.


Is he talking about the time when Yangyang was kidnapped? Turns out he cares about it that much.


I can't help but to feel guilty about it, I was only showing my anger at Jesse because I was too panicked, turns out we've both messed up because we cared too much for each other.



You: I was at fault too... it's over now, let's not talk about it anymore.


Not sure if it's because it's been so long since we've opened up to each other, or if it's because of the almost unconditional trust Jesse has for me, I feel much relaxed now.


The warm breezes brushes over, and I slowly closed my eyes too.



After giving myself a short night's break, I immerse myself into the tension-filled investigation once again.


Perhaps it's because of the immense stress, I haven't been able to fall asleep for days.


After I've finally collected about ten interviews, it's about time to show them to Charlie.



When opening the door of his house, I'm shocked by the scene that welcomed me.


Snow-white papers are spread all over the floor, with densely packed numbers and symbols all over the papers. Curtains are all closed, but the chandelier on the ceiling is so bright it's blinding. There's a giant fish tank decorated at a corner of the room, with goldfish swimming within.


Charlie is seated on the sofa, the shadows of his fringe shrouded his eyes, gazing forward with full focus.


You: Charlie, don't tell me you have been awake for the entire night, have you?



Charlie: You're belittling your fiance a little too much, I haven't been sleeping for three nights.


You: You're even showing off on things like this... wait, THREE NIGHTS?!


I examined him a little nervously, worrying that he'll collapse if he's not careful enough.


Charlie: Don't look anymore, there were even longer times I had been awake for. This is nothing.



I shut the chandelier off and opened the curtains, then let some fresh air in - I've done all of these before I was even aware of it.


I turned around to find Charlie looking deep in thoughts.



Charlie: Mhm, just like the lady of the house. I like it.


A usual teasing tone, and a usual arrogant smile. But I understood that everything aren't the same the moment I saw his eyes.


His eyes looked depressed.


That pair of eyes are duller than any other moment I've seen.


I remained quiet for a moment, and took out the interviews I've sorted out for the past few days.


Charlie looked at it for a very long time, so long that I thought be turned into a sculpture.


Charlie: They are the same.


You: What are the same?


Charlie: Numbers. Codes.


He stood up, like a wandering soul, quickly paced between the papers on the floor without messing a single sheet.


Charlie: D05517, severe adverse reaction, continuous fever since 9 March.


He bent down and picked up a piece of paper.


Charlie: C03067, severe adverse reaction, difficulty breathing since 3 March, died on 5 March.


Yet another paper.


Charlie: C02367, light adverse reaction, rashes on the back since 1 February, died on 17 March due to lung infection.


Yet another paper.


His movements are accurate and direct, I looked at the scene before my eyes, feeling breathless.


You: Charlie, what are written on all these papers?


Charlie: People. People who have accepted clinical drug trials. Their data are stored in encrypted folders of NOVATEN's headquarter.


You: You were--



Charlie: I took a trip back. The password in the database hasn't changed, it's still my mother's birthday.


He spoke calmly, but I suddenly had a feeling, that he's about to cry.


Charlie: These people had no names. But their codes, don't you find them familiar?


I find them familiar, because we've read the conversation too many times, that we can almost memorize them.


You: "My code there was 05517, so it's always a long wait until my turn"... this code, it's Xiao Lang.


Charlie: Also these dates. All of these dates are a match.


I looked at him, stunned.


You: You're saying that NOVATEN Pharmaceutical Group have been doing...



Charlie: Illegal drug trials.


Charlie spoke of the term before I could.


Charlie: Illegal drug trials using students from Yu Da Academy. Fiancee, you told me, that Yu Da Academy was founded for the Strains to perform human experiments. But what if I'm also telling you, that these students were also experiencing illegal drug trials?


He walked towards me, squatted down, and place a particularly thick report onto my knee.


D0001.



Charlie: This is my mother. D0001 trial subject. But she wasn't the first one that used the substitutional medicine, she probably began taking medicine after the Phase II of drug trial has passed. But she was too ill, she couldn't wait for too long, and her illness was too unique, so there were almost no similar clinical trials. Even so, the dosage she had was very minimal.


He spoke without stopping, as though he's talking about someone unimportant, and talking about something unimportant.


Charlie: Also that name-- Beside my mother's report, every drug trial report has Sun TaiZhong's name written on it.


Those words are laying right before us, scorching our eyes.


I pressed my hand on his shoulder, an almost indistinguishable tremble is felt.


But right on the next second, I noticed that it was me who was clearly trembling.


I am incapable of comforting him in any way, a heart filled with fear is incapable of comforting another heart who's also filled with fear.


The answer we've been searching for while trampling over fear, has finally became the blades from the trampled to pierce through us.



You: Charlie, Charlie.


I called out his name.


You: Let's calm down a little, and think again.



Charlie: I'm very calm. Fiancee, why do you look like you're about to cry? That's my family matter, it has nothing to do with you.


Charlie lifts my face gently, and rubbed my sore, swelling eyes. 


I was about to say something, but I noticed beads of sweat are filling his forehead, he's looking pale, even his lips has lost its colors.


You: Are you okay?


Charlie: It's fine, just a little headache.


You: Headache? Where's the medicine you had last time? I'll retrieve it for you!


Charlie: Don't go.


His thumb softly covers over the corners of my eyes.


Charlie: I won't take them anymore.


Yeah, For My Son. That's a medicine his father made for him.


I dare not to imagine anymore, that can't possibly be true.


I tried my best to look calm, smiling at him, but I probably looked uglier than crying.


You: Then what should we do? Will it be uncomfortable for you?


Charlie: It's not uncomfortable. It'll be fine soon.


He looks at me quietly, not uttering a single word. We have very little time spent like this, so I couldn't feel peace from a situation like this.


After that, the sweat-filled forehead stuck onto me.


We didn't close our eyes. I'm looking at that pair of deep purple eyes, it's as though I'm looking at a ray of light, dispersing bit by bit, into everywhere--


It finally turned into a cluster of nothingness, as though it's reaching a destined end, just like the same fate of everything that are overly clear. 


The night descends, and this is already the 13th hour ever since I stepped into this door.


I forced myself to think, but I don't even have an idea on what I should think about.


Charlie lied. His headache didn't improve, even though he tried his best to cover it up, but I could still see it clearly.


Snap. It's yet another finger snap.


He's just repetitively snapping his fingers, sometimes it doesn't sound, sometimes it made a sound, and the voice-control lamp flickered between light and darkness.


Has this sound been this frequent in the past?


When exactly did this begin? It seems like it happened after his father arrived. Thud, thud. This sound is just like the footsteps of a bad omen.


Charlie: Fiancee.


You: Hm?


Charlie: I have to look for him. NOVATEN and Sun TaiZhong has reached an agreement, the patients of the hospital are in a dangerous situation.


I understood what he meant very quickly, the giant impact almost made me forget what's happening.


Without Yu Da Academy, nobody will ever know what are the contents in the agreement between Sun TaiZhong and Charlie's father.


You: Okay, when are we going?


Charlie: Now.


Charlie stood up, and walked into the washroom.



He opens the faucet, washed his face, and stared at the scene in the mirror. Waterfall-like sounds continuously rang by his ears.


A woman with purple eyes stood behind him.


He should be thankful that it's his mother who he saw, and not any other things that are even weirder.



???: Charlie, you've now understood why I chose to leave. Our survival are built onto others' deaths. Don't take that medicine anymore, don't take it anymore.


Charlie raised his right arm. The edge of his middle fingers are already slightly reddened, and he's still feeling restless. He has never experienced a failure like this.



Charlie: Everything will begin perfectly, and end perfectly. Everything will begin perfectly, and end perfectly. 


He chased all of the figures that trusts him, and those who wanted to accompany him off his mind, until every inch of his mind is occupied by his monologue.


Charlie: Charlie, what you did wasn't wrong.


Click.


Now, he's the perfect Charlie again.



.

.

.

.


You can now read Chapter 14-18 here!


Until my next update, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.