Main Story Chapter 14-14: The Angel who Crossed Boundaries (越界天使) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

7/01/2022 01:53:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Please consider reading Chapter 14-12 before proceeding~


TRIGGER WARNINGS:

Mentions of mania, strangling people, blood, trauma, substance abuse




-- Guang Qi Mental Health Center --


It's my first time visiting this place after living in this city for many years. I'm here too early, and there's still an hour until the agreed time with Charlie.


Throughout the waiting period, I can't avoid recalling what happened after leaving his father's villa back in that day.



You: This is--



Charlie: A photo of Sun TaiZhong. I noticed it in the old man's drawer.


Charlie took photos of the documents stored in the study with his phone, and one of the photos looked rather aged.


At the back of the photo, there were a couple of words written by a oil-based marker, and the signed date was 15 years ago.


"Dear teacher, may you keep this humble gift, sincerely, your student Sun TaiZhong".


You: Student Sun TaiZhong? He's a student of your father?


Charlie: I investigated every mentor of Sun TaiZhong throughout his studying and working period, there's no such information.


You: Could he possibly have asked your father about something, and that's why he addressed him this way...


My voice became demure as I speak, looking at the fully respectful word choice from Sun TaiZhong on the photo, it's showing that their relationship is definitely nowhere shallow.


I took the phone from Charlie, and felt the coldness from his fingertips.


The background of the photo is blurry, but there's a familiar feeling that I can't tell. Tall walls, tiny windows--


I stared at it for a long time, and finally realized what it was.


You: ... This is Yu Da Academy.


I'm very certain, it is exactly the same place as the photos I received with the documents Osborn showed me.


Charlie: What did you say?


You: Yu Da Academy, rehabilitation center for bad social behavior, it was established 15 years ago, and it was abolished because it was exposed 8 years ago. In actual fact, Yu Da Academy was built for the Strains to conduct their experiments on humans. It's now a factory over there, but it originally looked like this.


In a matter of course, I told what I've investigated about Yu Da Academy to Charlie, as well as the documents retrieved from Madam Qin.


You: Do you want to have a look? The documents, I mean.


Charlie nodded as he watches me flipping the pages.


Document: "My head has been very drowsy". 


That's what Xiao Lang wrote. His writing are crooked, as though it pains him very much to write these.



Document: "The medicine they asked us to take, we've taken them all; the checkups they wanted us to do, we've also done them all. My code there was 05517, so it's always a long wait until my turn. I don't want to take the medicine, because taking the medicines will make me drowsy, but they said that the medicine is an indispensable part of the treatment, and the earlier we complete the treatment, the earlier I can go outside. So I still ate them. People around me left one after another, I was very envious of them, and I've only found out now that they were all unable to leave that place."



You: Xiao Lang is Madam Qin's son, and he's also the first batch of students of Yu Da Academy. He's now in Guang Qi Mental Health Center.


CG Road


Back then, the two of us stared at this conversation for way too long, that we can almost memorize them.


Upon linking Sun TaiZhong, Yu Da Academy and NOVATEN Pharmaceutical Group together, upon looking at the mere word "medicine", even though it's just the simplest description, an intuitive sense of alertness will surface from my heart.


Upon hearing that I plan to look for Xiao Lang next, Charlie requested for us to act together without hesitating for even a second.


From the distant, I saw the familiar tall figure, and raised my arm to wave at him.


You: Are we going in now?


I didn't know why I asked that either, but there's this feeling where each step we take will bring us a step closer towards an irreversible direction, so I can't help but to feel fear.


Charlie held my slightly sweating hand. He doesn't look like he's in a great condition, as though he has been through an all nighter, but the strength from his grip still gives reassurance.



Led by the nurses, we walked through the sunlight-filled corridor. There are many patients in their patient gowns moving about on the lawn outside the window.


Nurse: Xiao Lang's mania conditions were very severe when he was admitted, he'll strangle anyone who gets close to him, including his mother. The treatment has went on for seven or eight years, he's almost recovered now. There are times where he would even help everyone out.


You: Thank you very much for allowing us to see him.


The nurse turns around and smiles at us, and took a glance at the box of snacks in Charlie's hand.


Nurse: Madam Qin informed me about your intents to interview Xiao Lang. I'm afraid that you might not be able to get much answers if you wish to ask about what happened back then.


Charlie: By "might not be able to get much answers", you mean...?


The nurse slows down her footsteps, and lowered her voice.


Nurse: Xiao Lang's memory loss has been terrible, experts said it's probably a reaction from his avoidance of trauma.


Charlie: Do you still remember the name of the expert back then?


Charlie's expression was very serious, that the nurse frowns as she thinks seriously.


Nurse: About that, let me think... I just started working here back then.


She spoke of a name that I have never heard of, and Charlie doesn't seem to be familiar with it either.


Upon relaxing myself slightly, that I've only realized the air surrounding him has been tensed.


The nurse has already stopped in front of a pale green door, and the board on the door writes "visitor's room".


Nurse: We're here, you can both enter, just call me via the bell if anything happens. Xiao Lang is very easygoing, it's just a precaution to let you meet here, you actually don't have to worry about anything.



She opened the door for us, and Xiao Lang is sitting right on the stool. He's still a little blur and stunned when he saw us, but stood up very quickly, and smiled at us.


Just as the nurse described, Xiao Lang is very easygoing. Besides speaking a little slower than usual, it's almost difficult to tell that he was ill. We carefully mentioned about what happened back then, but he did not show any anomalies either.


But it is also just as she described, besides what he wrote in the past, Xiao Lang couldn't remember the rest clearly. He was even showing a guilty expression because he was unable to reply to us.


Xiao Lang: I'm sorry, you have both visited me, but I couldn't help you on anything.


Charlie: It's us who deliberately interrupted you by our visit. These are matters that aren't great to remember about anyway.


I quickly nodded along with him, and pushed the snacks placed aside towards Xiao Lang.


You: That's right, please don't ever think of it that way. It's fine, just treat it as a chit-chatting session with us.


Charlie and I exchanged glances, and I could see hesitance and how perplexed he is from that pair of purple eyes.


We are both coming here with an affirmative thought to seek the truth.


But upon reading Xiao Lang's self-written note with crooked writing, and now facing him as a living person, I really have no idea if I should continue inquire further on his painful past.


But Xiao Lang was the one who broke the silence instead.


Xiao Lang: You both don't have to feel any concerns, try asking more. My memory in the past was very good, I even wrote a lot about it when I was out of the academy. Perhaps I'll recall them if you ask more.


My nose felt sore, so I turned my face to look at Charlie. A momentary sadness flashed before his expressions, but looked very affirmative right after.


Charlie: Have you heard of NOVATEN Pharmaceutical Group?


Xiao Lang: Nova...  I don't know... does a pharmaceutical group make medicine?


Charlie: Yes.


Xiao Lang: I've helped the nurses to deliver many medicine, but I am not sure about making medicine. Can you write it down for me?


Charlie wrote NOVATEN on the white paper. Xiao Lang stared at it for a moment, but still shook his head.


After chatting a little longer with Xiao lang, I heard a lot of stories about his life here.


When we stood up and bid farewell, Xiao Lang still looks at us, looking unwilling to part.


Xiao Lang: Thank you for your snacks, and still chose to take out your free time to play here.


He has really treated this place as his home.


We stood up, and just when we were about to leave, it was as though Charlie suddenly recalled something, he took out a card from his pocket.


Charlie: Xiao Lang, if you haven't heard of NOVATEN, then how about this logo?


Xiao Lang: Stares at the card, as though he's recalling something. I suddenly felt nervous, and held my breath in anticipation.


Suddenly, his hands began to tremble. It started out slightly, but it began worsening, and gradually becoming just like a tremor. 


You: ... Xiao Lang? Are you alright?


Xiao Lang did not answer me. He lowered his head, curling himself up, opening his mouth, but could only make "ah" sounds.


You: Xiao Lang, are you okay!?


Charlie rushed to support Xiao Lang who was about to fall before I could get to him.


Charlie: Press the bell.


I nodded and rushed to the bedside button, and just when I pressed it, a loud thud sounded fro m behind.


You: Charlie!


My heart skipped a beat. The ultimately tender man is now having bloodshot eyes. Xiao Lang's arms are strangling onto Charlie's neck tightly, pinning him onto the wall.


Xiao Lang: It's you! I found it! I found it!


You: Xiao Lang, what are you saying?! Let go of your hand first, okay?


I rushed forward to pull Xiao Lang's wrist, but his strength is shockingly strong, there's no way for me to move the pair of hands even by the slightest inch.


As though he hasn't realized what I was doing, Xiao Lang only fixated his stare straight at Charlie, his features twisted from his deep hatred.


Xiao Lang: How dare you to come here! How dare you!


Charlie's neck and chin are completely reddened, his veins are all popping up out of pressure.


But he looked senseless, only looking straight at Xiao Lang, showing no signs of retaliation. That pair of eyes became sluggish and muddled.


I'm so panicked that I'm about to cry, I called out to Charlie by his name, but I couldn't get a response.


You: Xiao Lang, I beg of you, please let go of your hand.


My nails have dug trails of blood on Xiao Lang's hand. Charlie's reddened skin are showing specks of whiteness, and his fingers are subconsciously twitching in spasm.


I can't wait on anymore!


[Choice]



Night: Call the nurse

Light: Protect Charlie


[Night Choice: Call the nurse]


You: Missy! Missy! 


I yelled with all my might, starting to part his shoulder, nails clamping into his flesh, and gradually, blood began seeping out.


[Light Choice: Protect Charlie]


I searched for a ball pen from my pen, hands both trembling, and I can't grasp onto anything well. I almost used all my strength to stab the back of the pen into Xiao Lang's shoulder.


The man brayed in pain and swung his hand aggressively. I can't take that strength, and crashed into the metal railing of the bed.



Charlie: Y/N!


I didn't bump into my head, but I felt drained out, and I'm in a complete blur.


In my line of vision, Charlie has finally obtained a chance to breathe. As though he just woke up from a dream, I saw him in a panic that I have never seen from his eyes.


It was almost at the same instant that the nurse broke into the room. They probably saw something happening here from the surveillance camera, carrying restrains with them, and subdued Xiao Lang.


Xiao Lang's shoulder blade is bleeding, it was my doing. Seeing that bit of bright red on him, I'm only feeling particularly upset.


A soft clothing blocked off my line of vision.



Charlie: Are you okay?


You: Yeah, I'm okay.


A sweet, spicy scent surrounded me, along with the smell of disinfectants.


A warm palm pressed onto the back of my head, and it's a matter of course when my face is buried into a broad and firm shoulder.


I raised my arms, unsure of what to do, nor do I know what I'm searching for. I only got to touch a bush of somewhat messy hair, and a sweaty, well-defined side profile.


You: How about you?


Charlie: I'm fine.


He paused, voice leaning by my ear, buzzing.


You: I'm glad that you're fine, we're even now.


Charlie: Even?



You: You saved me once in the bar, and now I've saved you once too, the beauty saves the hero*.


*Word play of 英雄救美, which means the hero saves the beauty.


The arm encircling my shoulder tightened a little.



Charlie: Fiancee, your style of speech is getting closer to mine.


Why didn't you use your Talent, why didn't you retaliate, why did you looked so sluggish and lost? What exactly is the truth that awaits us?


There are so many questions I wanted to ask him, but I can't get myself to ask any.


I can only feel the fabric on my face getting dampened little by little, and my tears uncontrollably seeped out from the corners of my eyes, because of this tender yet apologetic voice beside me.


Charlie: Thank you. Also, I'm sorry.


You: Okay...


Suppressing my loudening cries, I can only barely respond to him.


I harmed someone, someone innocent, this responsibility is too heavy, that only a voice like this can shoulder it for me.


You: Charlie, no matter what happens, I'll investigate this with you until the end. All you have to do is to trust yourself.


Click, a very, very soft snap on his fingers added some space into this dull atmosphere.



Charlie: Well of course.



.

.

.

.


You can now read Chapter 14-16 here!


Until my next update, please feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.