Encounter with Sariel - Chapter 2-01: Scales of Memories / Chase of the Clouds and Winds | 光与夜之恋齐司礼邂逅:第二章【01 - 记忆之鳞・逐云流风】

7/11/2022 11:53:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Hello! This is the second chapter for Sariel's encounter, it's highly recommend to read through all three sub-chapters of the first chapter before proceeding to gain context on what's happening!


Chapter 1: 1-01 Sunset Mission | 1-02 Lost in the Past | 1-03 Together from Dawn till Dusk 



【逐云流风】

01: Chase of the Clouds and Winds -

- 01-1-1: Returning to Lightcloud Swamp* -


Sariel is taking me to look for the person that can make me recover my memories.

*Lightcloud Swamp (轻云泽/ Qing Yun Swamps) is where Sariel was from, the translation was literal, it means 'swamp of light clouds'. You can also learn more about this place via his birthday event or birthday card. The train station leads to Greensand Town (沙青镇)literally translated to 'sand green town), then heading to Rainy Island (霖岛, where the first character translates to never-ending rain). 



The skies looks misty as though it's veiled with a layer of mesh early in the morning, where the sun hasn't risen.


Just a few hours ago, Sariel chased me off the bed, and told me that we're going to look for the person that can make me recover my memories.


We've arrived the train station in the suburbs by the time I've returned to senses. It's an old, ancient train station standing alone in a barren land, it looks like an opening of an urban legend.


You: Why does this place looks so uncanny...


Sariel glanced at me.



Sariel: Don't you find your memory loss itself being something uncanny too?


Well he's right about that too, uncanny problems can only be solved through uncanny solutions, it's very logical. I followed behind Sariel and walked into the train station lobby embarrassingly.


The train station looks rather old. There are a couple of fully dusted benches scattering across the empty hall, with a signboard that has lost its paint hanging on top.


You: "Lightcloud Station".


I read out the name on the signboard, and a sense of familiarity flashed by in a trance.


You: Where's the ticket booth of this station? I'll buy the tickets, don't worry, I brought my purse.


Sariel: No need. You can wait for the train over there.


Sariel casually pointed to the platform not far away from us.


You: Then what about you?


Sariel: I'll retrieve the tickets.


You: Huh, didn't you say there's no need to buy tickets?



Sariel: Could you actually be still sleeping? Who told you that not needing to buy tickets equals to not needing tickets? Just wait for the train over there, remember not to fall asleep while standing.


My originally sleepy brain became sober in an instant.


You: I'm not THIS stupid alright.


Sariel: The question you just asked is enough to make people doubt you very easily.


Sariel sneered softly, then turned around and walked out from the station.


- 01-1-2: Confusion-


I looked around my surroundings, but I didn't see any machine to collect tickets. Being uncertain of where Sariel is going, I felt oddly panicked, so I've decided to--



[Choice]



01-2-1: Follow Sariel

01-2-2: Wait for the train at the platform




01-2-1: Follow Sariel


Turns out I still can't help but to feel worried, I should follow Sariel and look at the situation.


I peeked out from the entrance of the train station. On the outside, the sun has completely risen, and Sariel's figure is just somewhere close by.


You: Sa--


Just when I was about to step out from the main entrance of the train station, the scene before my eyes suddenly began to turn blurry. My body collapsed backwards uncontrollably.


Before falling into darkness, the last thing I heard was Sariel's angered voice intertwining with an unfamiliar voice.


Sariel: Who's in there?!



???: Ordinary humans are strictly not allowed to enter and exit freely in train stations for Erdas.


By the time I woke up, the first thing I saw is the arch ceiling of the old train station. 


My mind is in complete blank, my head hurts so much it's about to burst, and with difficulty, I supported myself with attempts to sit up.



Sariel: Lie down properly, don't move.


The familiar voice recalled my ability to think. I lifted my head and looked over to see the warm yellow afterglow brightening Sariel's features. With his back facing the light, I can't see the expression on his face clearly.


You: Wait, what time is it now?!


I quickly searched for my phone to look at the time, but my arm was oddly disobedient, as though it's filled with lead.



Sariel: 5PM. It's not your problem, accidents happened.


Sariel sighed softly, and supported me to sit up slowly.


Sariel: Follow me back, and rest properly.


Sariel didn't explain anything to me, but I have a vague feeling that I'm drained out of strength, as though something major has happened.



We returned to Sariel's home, and I've been staying in his place to receive his care for the following few days, and my body is slowly recovering.


However, the matter of recovering my memories has became something placed on hold.



NORMAL END



- Platform Shadow -

Dangers are always hidden in unexpected places.

(Attain SNS Post - As the Saying Goes)




Sariel: As the saying goes, if an old dog barks, he gives counsel. 

You: Okay then, I'll definitely pay attention to Teacher Qi. 

Sariel replied to You: Practice what you preach then.




01-2-2: Wait for the train at the platform


Someone who am almost in an amnesia like me couldn't help Sariel out either, might as well wait for the train.



- 01-1-3: Fragrance in Embrace-


A platform this giant is completely empty, that besides me, there's only an elderly with fully white hair sitting on the bench, dozing off while leaning against his walking stick, his eyelids are almost forming into a single slit.


Hearing my footsteps, the elderly turned his head towards me, and stared at me for two seconds.



Elderly: Are you an ordinary human?


You: What ordinary human or unordinary human are you talking about? Is there something special about this train station?


Elderly: Ordinary humans can't enter Lightcloud Station. How did you get in?


You: There aren't any guards here, and the door is right here, so I just walked in like this.


Elderly: I repeat, ordinary humans are not allowed to enter Lightcloud Station.


The elderly stood up with support of his walking stick. His originally squinted eyes suddenly widened and stared at me without blinking while repeating his words with pauses at every syllable, as though it's a certain type of dangerous warning.


A nameless chill is sent down to my spine, that I subconsciously took a couple of steps backwards.


My back suddenly bumped into something, so I subconsciously wanted to dodge away, only to lower my head and see the familiar white cuff placed over my shoulder with a faint scent of sandalwood, and the reassuring voice sounded from behind.



Sariel: I took part in Lightcloud Station's design, so I'm much clearer on whether ordinary humans can enter. Moreover, she's mine*.


*This part can be read in a few ways - Sariel saying this as MC is someone he brought in/ someone working for him, but it can also be read romantically, as in 'she's my woman'. Note that in this part they were not officially dating yet btw (their confession was in Feb 2022 but this story was released late Sept 2021) so yeah I hope that explains a little on my word choice because Sariel's purposely talked vaguely if he's claiming her so there's no way MC gets chased out (due to a past war that made many Erdas from the Rainy Island disliking humans).


Sariel's arm crossed before me, and shielded me securely in his arms.


My back is tightly leaning into his chest, so close, that his breaths brushing across my ear, where the sounds of heartthrobs by my ear sounded as though it's a resonance between our hearts.


The elderly's expression seemed rather surprised. He squinted, staring at Sariel for a good couple of seconds, and his tone is no longer offensive by the time he spoke again.


Elderly: Oh? Sariel, I've heard a lot about you.



Sariel: Quit the formalities. We're not done with the fact that you've threatened her.


Elderly: Well you knew it too, ordinary humans have no way to enter the barrier of Lightcloud Station, what for breaking the rules for your girl?


Sariel: I have no need to follow those ridiculous rules.


Elderly: Haha, you're really just as unscrupulous as the rumors. Forget it, since I've already reminded you, what happens next will only depend on your luck.



Sariel: If your nonsense is as short as how long we've known each other, there'll perhaps be more people who would be willing to talk to you.


A couple of sounds of the wooden walking stick bumping the floor are heard, and by the time I looked towards the opposite side of the platform, the elderly's figure has already appeared on the bench, still looking like he's dozing off.


Sariel paused for a couple of seconds, and only let go until he has confirmed that the elderly will no longer make a move.


I immediately turned around to look towards him, but he has already returned to his usual unfazed expression.


You: Sariel, did we fall into some sort of big trouble? What ordinary human, what barrier, what exactly are all of those...


Sariel: It's a long story. Anyway, just follow me closely from now on.


Seeing that I'm frowning in confusion, he added another sentence.


Sariel: You'll know everything once your memories are recovered.


His tone is still as calm as usual, but just like how it has been in the past, it feels like it's a promise with magical powers, soothing away all of my fear that strikes me suddenly.


You: Then why did you tell him- tell him that I'm y- y...


Heat quietly climbed to my cheeks, there's no way I could bring "yours" out of my lips.


Sariel stunned for a few seconds before he turned back and gazed at me.



Sariel: You ARE mine. What, is there a problem with my description? 


You: It doesn't seem like there are any problems with it either...


I muttered my reply, and a hard card suddenly appeared before my eyes.


Sariel: Keep this well, this is the ticket.


I took the yellowing ticket from Sariel's hand, turning it over and over as I examined it, but I can only see a few faint traces of writing on it.


You: Is this ticket really usable?


Sariel: ... Looks like your memory loss couldn't reduce even the slightest bit of your curiosity. Get in the train.


As his distinct tone ended, a white mist suddenly rose from the empty platform, making one to feel a misperception as though they are currently in an alternative world.


Between where the clouds and mists intertwine, a dark green train quietly appears on the tracks, and slowly opened its door.


I looked at everything in amazement, mind completely blank, until Sariel's voice pulled me back to the world before me.


Sariel: What are you still spacing out for?


Half-boarding the staircase of the train, Sariel extended an arm towards me. The rising sun warmly shrouds him, softening his originally cold features.


Uncertain of the reason, whenever I look at his pair of clear golden pupils, the anxiousness in my heart will subconsciously disappear competely.



After boarding the train, Sariel has been looking out of the windows with an arm supporting his cheek.


You: Thank you for helping me out from the situation just now...



Sariel: I don't want to get involved with unnecessary troubles.


The cold response blocked off my words of gratitude that I wanted to say, and the atmosphere suddenly became a little awkward.


You: By the way! You mentioned that you've participated in designing Lightcloud Station earlier... is that true?


Sariel: Yeah.


You: But aren't you a fashion designer?


Sariel's lowered his long lashes slightly.



Sariel: I was once in the architecture industry, but that was already something that happened long in the past.


You: Long in the past? You don't look old at all, I didn't know you're a genius across different industries.


Sariel: ... You really have lost your memories completely.


I blinked at Sariel as I waited for the next half of his sentence, but Sariel doesn't seem like he wanted to explain any further, and only then I recalled another question.


You: That elderly said I can't board the train because I'm an ordinary human, is it because the passengers who board the Lightcloud Train must be either rich or nobles?



Sariel: ... That's not what he meant. The Lightcloud Station was built for the convenience for people everywhere to travel back then, there were no restrictions. It just happened that there were some changes in situations in recent years, that there are some people who wanted to make a fuss out of it.


I nodded as though I've understood him, but not entirely.


The train passes through a forest, with patches of shadows of the trees projecting into the train through the windows, and a cluster of light speckles danced before my eyes.


They leaped again and again before me, that as I looked at them, my eyelids became gradually heavier.


With a weight on the shoulder, Sariel turned his head over in surprise. There's a fluffy head placed on his shoulder.


Sariel opened his mouth, as though he's still hesitating if he wanted to wake the girl up.


The train suddenly took a turn, and under inertia, the girl's head bumped up from Sariel's shoulder, and it looks like it's about to tilt to the other side.


Though with a faint disdain on his expression, Sariel still reached out an arm to hold the girl's head, and with a slight tug, he allowed her to pillow on his shoulder again.


The girl nuzzled onto Sariel's shoulder with her cheek, clinging tightly onto his arm like a sloth, and giggled a little.


Sariel (sighing): ......


The train travels into a short yet compact tunnel.


In the instant where light and darkness interchanges, nobody saw the delicately-shaped ear of Sariel's that has been quietly tinted with a beautiful pink.


By the time I widened my eyes, what welcomes my sight is a well-defined jawline.


Gazing upwards, it's the light-colored skin with thin, lightly-pursed lips, and gazing even higher, I can see his dense and long lashes as well as his clear and bright pupils. There's also a tint of elegantly pleasant scent of sandalwood lingering at the tip of my nose.


I pondered in a blur, and closed my eyelids again.


Wait a second, a distance where I can see his eyelashes clearly?! I immediately widened my eyes, and my sleepiness has all disappeared.


When did I fall asleep while leaning onto Sariel's shoulder? I'm even hugging his arm...



Sariel: Finally awake? 


Sariel turned his face sideways, his slightly teasing gaze met mine.


My cheeks suddenly became boiling hot, so I quickly let go of my arm and straighten my back, nervously tidying my hair, and no longer dared to look at him.


The announcement of the station's arrival sounded across the empty train.


You: "Greensand Town"? Feels like I've heard of this name somewhere*...


*Timeline-wise, she has been here once (for Sariel's birthday event)


I tried my best to recall, but my brain hurts as though needles were stabbing me. I can't help but to hold my head.



Sariel: Alright now, don't waste your brain cells here. Get ready to disembark.



As soon as I walked out of the train station, I'm welcomed with the sceneries filled with antiqueness, elegant wooden houses, stone bridges with azure ripples on the flowing river... The entire Greensand Town opens before my eyes just like a scroll of painting.


Each and every piece of tile and bricks, and every corner of the housing and alleys here exudes peacefulness far away from the secular world.


Fragrances of osmanthus blossoms brushes along with the gentle breeze, sweeping all of the remaining exhaustion away from my body.


You: The winds are so comfortable!


Sariel frowns as he took out his phone and tapped a few times, and only to speak after staring at the screen for a moment.


Sariel: We can get to business if you're done resting.


You: Sure! How about we make a phone call to that person to set a meeting appointment somewhere?


I looked at Sariel with anticipation, but he is, however, looking at me emotionlessly.


You: Uh, you don't have his number?


Sariel: I don't.


You: It's okay even if you don't have his number, then what about his address?


Sariel: I don't.


You: ... You've got to at least know his name, right?


Sariel: "Clubmaster".


You: "Clubmaster*"? Is this really a person's name?


*会长 (Hui Zhang), it means something like a club owner, it gets difficult to understand if I keep his original name in translation so I'll use a makeshift name until I can figure out what I can do about it.


Sariel: This is the clue I received.


You: Then do you also not know about his appearance?


Sariel: He'll change his appearance for every time he shows up.


You: This sounds like some sort of horror story... If you only know his name--


My gaze falls onto the bustling passerby on the cobblestone path before us, how about we stop one of them to ask about it?


[Choice]



01-3-1 Ask a well-dressed-looking middle aged man

01-3-2 Ask a teen moving in a hurry





01-3-1 Ask a well-dressed middle aged man


I gritted my teeth, and randomly stopped a well-dressed middle aged man.



You: Excuse me, we're looking for someone who's called "Clubmaster", may I know if you happen to know him?


Middle aged man: Of course I do!


You: That's wonderful! Then do you know where we can find him? My friend and I have something that we'd like to ask him!


Middle aged man: Haha, I'm about to look for him too, come along, you two!


You: Thank you very much!


I didn't expect our luck to be this good, that all my efforts aren't in a vain!


On our way to look for Clubmaster, the middle aged man was a complete chatterbox.


Middle aged man: Clubmaster and I are old friends. Although he's stubborn, but his pursue for self improvement is something respected among us as his friend.


You: I see...


Middle aged man: To have people as young as you two looking for him today to learn his techniques, Lao Wu will definitely be overjoyed! There, he's right over there.


I looked towards the direction the middle aged man pointed to. A middle aged man is holding a book up, reading it as he sways his head along in a pavilion.


There's a blackboard written at the courtyard, with "Eastern Poetry Club" roughly written on it.


You: So this is... Clubmaster?


Middle aged man: Well isn't Lao Wu the clubmaster of our Eastern Poetry Club!


You: ......


Upon bidding farewell to the middle aged man as though I'm escaping while dragging Sariel away, I asked a few more passerby about the "Clubmaster".


But it turns out that we're brought to Plaza Dance Society, Slacking Society, Working Society and other sorts of places.


It's already nighttime by the time we bid farewell to the so-called "Clubmaster" and returned to the main street. We're at a loss in the crowd, and we didn't now who the "Clubmaster" truly is.


NORMAL END



- Who is he? - 

My luck is a little bad, it would've been great if we can encounter someone close to the Clubmaster.

(Attain SNS Post: Slacking Club)



Sariel: Turns out a certain someone could be this delighted when having fun in the Slacking Club. 

You: Well wasn't that because that girl was overly enthusiastic...

Sariel replied to You: Looks like she's seen your potential in slacking off.







01-1-2 Ask a teen moving in a hurry


I reached out an arm to stop a teen in a hurry.



You: Excuse me, we're looking for someone called "Clubmaster", may I know if you happen to know him?


The teen was originally looking annoyed when he's stopped while he's rushing somewhere, but became excited as soon as he heard "Clubmaster".


Teen: Are you two asking about the Clubmaster? Then you've got the right person, he's the idol of my life! Clubmaster wins in all of his games, with his glory of winning every match, nobody wouldn't know about him in Greensand Town! You both came with such great timing, he's coincidentally opening a poker battle stall in the night market teahouse.


A sudden burst of cheers interrupted the teen's gleeful description, and also breaking the original silence that Greensand Town has.


I raised my head and looked towards the source of sound to see a market not far away from us.


Teen: Right over there! It's coincidentally the yearly night market!


Sariel turned his head towards me.



Sariel: Did you hear that clearly?


You: I heard it clear! Our luck is so good that we actually encountered the yearly night market! It feels exceptionally interesting just by the sounds of it!


Sariel: ... Your ability to catch the main point is really nowhere different from how you were before you lost your memory.


You: Aiya, don't glare at me like that, who knows if the Clubmaster we're looking for would actually be someone we can simply stroll around and find in the night market?


I thanked the teen, and walked towards the night market with Sariel.


Pedestrian: Hey! Outta my way!


A man's yell is suddenly heard from behind, and Sariel has already held my shoulder before I could respond to it.


On the next second, my face is tightly stuck onto his firm and warm chest.


A warmth rushes straight up to my cheeks, sounds from the outer world disappeared in an instant, and all that remains in my ears is the sound of my unrhythmic heartbeat.



Sariel: You're so soft in the head, that you don't even know someone's about to run into you.


You: Thank you...


Sariel lets go of me, and continued walking towards the night market.


A wind brushed across my cheeks, carrying the rare summertime breeze, and it even contrasts my boiling cheeks better.


Accompanied by the sounds of my accelerated heartbeats, is the doubt surfaced from the bottom of my heart.


Why didn't I smell the scent of sandalwood when Sariel held me in his arms earlier?


The glistening waters under the stone bridge reflects the rose-colored sunset, rippling in a dreamy dazzle. As the breeze brushes by, specks of golden osmanthus blossoms bloomed between the trees.


I took a deep breath, but I didn't manage to smell an expected scent.


A nameless anxiousness suddenly spreads in my heart.



(This leads to Chapter 2-02!)

You can read Chapter 2-02 here!

.

.

.

.

.




Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here (not obligatory don't worry about it)!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.