Main Story Chapter 10-01: Ward No.6 (六号病房) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

12/08/2021 07:17:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please check out the LIGHT END and NIGHT END of Chapter 9!



Ward No.6 (六号病房)

 




"Your smiling gaze and laughter have truly made me ill. As the fever disappears, my lonely health returns."



Stretching all fingers, then repetitively clenching and relaxing my hands. Sunlight passes through the office's half-opened blinds, scattering specks of light on the back of my hands.


You: Nothing seems to be wrong...


These are my hands, and no matter how I look at them, they are just an extremely ordinary pair of hands.


Yet an hour ago, it seems to be a little weirs.



Location: Breakfast Shop


You: Auntie, I'd like to have a cup of soy milk and a rice ball please.


Shop Owner: Coming up, please wait a little while, miss.


While waiting by the cashier, there's suddenly a commotion from the originally quiet crowd queueing quietly by the entrance.


I looked over out of curiosity, only to see a emaciated girl standing among the crowd, her hair messily stuck on her face as she looked around her surroundings with an anxious look.


Shop Owner: Sigh, it's that little girl again.


You: Auntie, do you know her?


Shop Owner: A poor child indeed, she's mute, she can't speak, nor she knows how to write. She has been coming to my shop for the past two days, and there has been no adult with her, I guess she's probably lost. The people of our neighborhood just lodged a police report, we have to keep her for now, and look after her a little before the police arrives.


The girl waved her little hands, and tried to gesture something in the air with all her might, but even if she tried so hard that her cheeks are completely reddened, her throat can only come out with short-lived whines.



Shop Owner: Sweet child, you haven't eat anything have you?


Seeing the rice ball handed out from the window, the girl's eyes gleamed. But nobody have expected for her to accidentally trip over the floor with only a couple of steps.


Shop Owner: Oh dear, don't run so fast!


I quickly helped her up, yet something incredible happened.



Girl: I want to go home, Yeye misses daddy and mommy already...


You: ...!


The instant I touched her hand, a young voice faintly sounded in my mind. 


What followed are some fragments of images that flashed past, with red and white logo, long alley, busy roads... They don't belong to me, but they have appeared in my mind without a reason.


You: ... What did you say?


Shop Owner: Miss, have you forgotten? This child can't talk.


I nodded, I guess I must've gotten silly. Could I've been hearing hallucinations? Or was there someone speaking coincidentally?


Yet when I looked around, I can't find a single silhouette of a child.


You: I've probably really heard hallucinations...


But I still can't help but to be a little mindful about it. I walked out from the shop while carrying my breakfast, and suddenly a guess flashed brightly in my mind.


I quickly ran back to the girl.



You: Are you Yeye?


The girl looked up in surprise, responding to me with her voice.


Shop Owner: Looks like it! Miss, how did you know?


So those images... I tried focusing, and kept thinking about it repetitively, then held her hands again.


But nothing happened this time, only the girl named Yeye looking at me with full of anticipation.


You: Weird, it happened earlier...


With no choice left, I can only close my eyes and tried my best to recall it.


You: Red and white, was it a metro logo? Which station could it be...


Although the image disappeared very quickly, but I have indeed recognized some familiar landmarks. There was a shop entrance decorated with a sculpture of a chef and pheasant, looking like a specialty restaurant.


You: I think I've passed by this place when I was coming out in search of inspiration before, I even snapped photo and asked An An to dine here together next time.


I opened the chat history, there's indeed this photo indeed, then as long as I recall the itinerary of that day...


You: It's Pineslope Station! Auntie, I know what I say might be very ridiculous. But can you contact the police? Her home is probably in Pineslope station.


The shop owner seemed to have not understood what happen, only stunned in place. The girl whined as she stood by her side, grabbing onto her hand.


Shop Owner: Sure sure, don't panic, I'll make a call.


The girl leaned in my embrace, yet her gaze is still fixated on the shop owner's phone.


Shop Owner: Hello police? It's me. Did you say there's a family losing a daughter in Pineslope station? Her name is Ye YunChu?


Girl: *sobbing*


Hearing this name, the girl sobbed as she extends her arm to reach for the phone. The answer seems to be obvious now.


Shop Owner: Dear police, we will be waiting for you in the shop. Thank you, thank you very much...




You: So... can "Talents" change?


This is the first time I could feel emotions from humans, it feels very similar to what I can feel from objects, but it's even stronger, so strong that I can see quite some blurry images.


You: How did it turn out this way...?


I supported my cheeks as I looked out to the familiar scenery outside the windows, feeling complicated emotions. I'm a little curious, yet I'm also a little afraid.



Manman: Y/N, what's wrong? You've been spacing out for a long time.


She waved her hand before my eyes in curiosity. 


You: It's nothing, I'm just feeling a little odd. Manman, if I were to say I might know a little mindreading-- Oh no, consider that as a psychological reading, would you believe it?


Manman: Psychological reading? Then isn't that like the ones that could do psychological profiling in those American dramas? Aren't you an impressive one!


You: But all I need to do is to hold someone's hand, don't you find it ridiculous?


Manman: What's so ridiculous about it? Aren't there also people differentiate things by scent in variety shows? Or something like fortune telling by touching bones, I still believe in metaphysics. We are coincidentally interrogating Mao Ge, Hao Shuai can't even get his confession even though he talked until he's blue in the face. So it's up to you now.


You: Hey hey hey, what are you interrogating--



Bam-- Rays from two table lamps hit on the wall, looking like a scene of spy interrogation.


Hao Shuai and Chen Che sat together in a row, and Mao Ge is sitting in front of them with full alert.


The pantry entrance is tightly shut, and the current atmosphere is extremely serious.



Hao Shuai: Suspect Mao Ge, male, 27 years old, single, designer from Group A of Warson Group Design Center. Has mentioned that he has someone he likes but never told us, through our investigations we found out the target is Group B's designer Jiang Lai. I didn't expect it, I kept thinking you were just afraid of her. Do you have any objections?



Mao Ge: Jiang Lai and I are senior and junior, of course we have to look after each other when we work in the same company. Looking after doesn't mean I have to like her.


Hao Shuai: I have evidence, I hereby summon the witness Li Manman.



Manman: Present! On Mao Ge's birthday two weeks ago, Jiang Lai purposely came over to send a present. Mao Ge invited Jiang Lai to an exhibition, got declined, and he was looking completely unhappy. Right after, he said something that shocked the entire office: "Then wouldn't my debt be Jiang*--".


*T/N: Reference from Chapter 8-03.


Mao Ge: I only said "Jiang", it isn't even "Jiang Lai'.


Hao Shuai: There's only a single person with the surname "Jiang" in our company.


Mao Ge: The neighboring village in my hometown are all with surname Jiang, what Jiang Si, Jiang Xin, Jiang Yi, there's even Jiang ZiYa!


*T/N: I can't translate this to English but I wanted to share how funny it is in its original text. Jiang Si means "Ginger shreds", Jiang Xin and Jiang Yi when combined it means "Doubtful", and Jiang Ziya  was a Chinese noble who helped kings Wen and Wu of Zhou overthrow the Shang in ancient China (in a famous Chinese novel).


Hao Shuai: Stubborn. Chen Che, go.


Chen Che looked hesitant, looks like it's really hard for him to "interrogate" people.


Manman: Haiya let me do this, everyone, I've found us a psychological reading goddess-- Y/N.


Hao Shuai: Y/N you even know this?


You: Uh, just a little, just a little.


Hao Shuai: Don't be humble anymore, hurry up and begin your performance.


The handphone torch shined brightly between us, I could even hear Mao Ge's heavy breathing sounds.



Mao Ge: Y/N, haven't I be good to you? Are we still bros?


You: Mao Ge, I'm sorry, they are greater in numbers.


I held Mao Ge's hand, closed my eyes to take a deep breath, and muttered "Mao Ge's emotions" internally. 


The flow of time is no longer clear, my arms are a little sore, that I even started doubting if that's caused by maintaining the same posture for too long.


You: No way... It worked well earlier.



Just then, the scene changed in my mind. Images of the young girl's lively face appeared before my eyes, there's her smiling, looking troubled, sentimental, prideful, even crying...


I feel like I'm standing on a tall mountain slope fully bloomed with camellia. I ran along the only path, running across years and years of landmark, and the end of the path is the school opening ceremony.


The summer sun scorches, the senior picked up the junior's heavy luggage, and showed her a silly smile.


So it was a very long one-sided love...


Hao Shuai: How is it, how is it?


Opening my eyes, Mao Ge has already changed into an expression for me to spare him, I suddenly understood something.



You: Uh... There's a very important girl in Mao Ge's heart, this girl has been acquainted with him for many years. But it doesn't seem like she's in the same company as him.


Hao Shuai and Manman: Huh?


Mao Ge instinctively sighed in relief, then looked at me in shock, his lips opened into a tiny "o" shape. I winked at him.


You: Sorry, these are only all I can feel.


Manman: Y/N, you weren't bribed by Mao Ge right?


You: All of you watched me entering the pantry, no? Mao Ge can't even foresee the future to know that you guys asked me to read minds here.


Manman: That's true too...


Hao Shuai: This... Could it really not be Jiang Lai?


Mao Ge: I've already told you it wasn't!


Changing his look with guilty conscience, Mao Ge jumped from the chair, and hooked onto Hao Shuai's neck.


Mao Ge: So you dare to interrogate me thinking you're fully fledged now, huh? The two of you, treat me lunch today! Also, don't ever gossip about Jiang Lai and I again!


Manman: Aiya I have nothing to do with this, it was all Hao Shuai's suggestion...


Hao Shuai: Hao who? Shuai who? I don't know him! Let me tell you, the new Lanzhou Ramen in the canteen is so good--


Watching them having fun together, I can't help but to let out a laugh.


Judging from the current situation, it seems like I can indeed feel people's emotions and some blurry images.


It's just that the time of sensing isn't stable, and what I see aren't always crystal clear.


You: Then what about other living beings?



My curiosity made me ignore my meal. As soon as it's lunchtime, I immediately carried a bucket of dried fishes and rushed straight to downstairs.


Buzz buzz-- the phone vibrated a couple of times, it's Mao Ge's message.


Mao Ge's WeChat: Thank you for your help, heroine! I'll treat you to a great meal tonight.


Your WeChat: It's alright, but I'm still a little curious, the one you like is Jiang Lai, correct? Why don't you wish to admit it?


Mao Ge: Sigh, since you're so chivalrous, it's considered that we are now both on the same boat. Jiang Lai and I are colleagues, yet I'm only liking her one-sidedly, it'll trouble her if the rumor spreads. You know how much of a gossiper Hao Shuai is, he would even tell it to the security guard.


Although I've already guessed it faintly, but a gentle emotion still surfaced from my heart.


He's clearly a straightforward and open person that can't keep a single bit of secret, but he has been so attentive for the girl he likes.


Your WeChat: Don't worry, I'll definitely keep it a secret.


Arriving the garden corner, there's are a cat languidly bathing under the sunlight. I've already been familiar with it at usual times, so it welcomed me with their bellies up when they saw me.


You: I have something that I need a little help from all of you, don't move okay?


I placed a hand on the tri-colored cat's paw.



You: Uh... So you actually dislike dried fishes?


Tri-colored Cat: Meow~


You: You said you like milk-flavored bread???


Tri-colored Cat: Meow meow meow!


You: Then wag your tail for me, I'll bring some for you next time, but you can only eat a little bit, okay?


Before my voice died away, I've already seen that cat's tail wagging like a propeller.



You: You're saying that person always dressed in white is treating you guys well? He only gives cat food? He even fiercely not letting you guys to eat more? You all think he's fierce too, right?! Let me tell you, not only he doesn't eat spicy and oily food, he even only add lettuce and eggs in jianbing*...


*T/N: Reference from Chapter 7-08.



??: Why haven't I know that you can speak in cat language before?


You: I just learnt it. Director, you can bring more cat food for them, don't be too fierce, they are all scared of you--


The atmosphere suddenly became quiet, only then I realized the person speaking was Sariel.


So did he also hear my complaints about him...?


Feeling completely stiff, I raised my head, and carefully observed Sariel's face that I can't comprehend his expression, and quickly stood up.



You: Hahaha, what a coincidence.


Sariel: Hmph. I'd also like to know why I can always coincidentally hear you talking bad about me  behind my backs every single time.


You: You won't hear it if you don't come over...



Sariel: Playing the ostrich I see.


You: Or you can pretend to have not hear anything, I've immediately forgotten the time you picked rubbish here.


Sariel's expressions immediately darkened a little, I quickly read the atmosphere and made a lip-zipping gesture.


Sariel: What else did you say about me?


You: Nothing else, you can ask the cat if you don't believe it!


I quickly lowered my head to look for my companions, but the tri-colored cat has already disappeared.



You: Traitor!



Sariel: ......


Sariel actually chuckled softly.


I tilted my head and looked at him in confusion. Sariel kept his smile, and looked away unnaturally.


Sariel: Have you taken lunch?


You: Not yet.


Sariel: The canteen is already closed.


You: Yeah, I know. I was planning to buy some food from the convenience shop.


Alternate translation: "Let's have lunch together." hehe :)


Sariel: I haven't eaten either.


You: Oh... Hm?



Sariel: Forget it, come with me.







Chapter 10-3 is now updated here!
 

While waiting for the next part... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.