[Light and Night] 5☆ Date with Evan - Echoes of the Deep Seas (深海回音) | 光与夜之恋 陆沉 【屿海情书】活动剧情卡 英译

12/08/2021 01:35:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this story date, please check the prologue here~



You can also check the video recording here if you'd like!





The bright sunshine sprinkles on the deck wantonly, the azure skies are so clear that it's almost transparent.


The waves are pushing Guang Qi city on the shore further and further away, as if it's about to shroud the entire city into the layers of clouds.


I cling onto the railing languidly, allowing the sea breezes to mess my hair up.



Evan: You don't look so energetic.


A jacket is gently draped over my shoulders, the inner layer still lingers with Evan's warmth.


Evan: Did you not sleep well last night?


You: Yeah, I'm a little seasick.


After the beginning of winter, the remains of autumn are dyed with colors of red maple leaves. Evan and I snuck some free time from our busy schedules, and headed to an island named Ritou* to spend our weekend.


*T/N: Made-up name for "Island of Separation".


I massaged my temples, as I welcomed the wobbling speedboat, only to feel dense in my head and stomach.


You: It's such a rare occasion for us to go out and have fun, yet I still had to trouble you to look after this--



Evan: To look after this disobedient little girl? You knew you'd be seasick if you pull all-nighters, yet you still did it.


Evan gently patted on my back, then took out a box of ginger candy, it's an old brand with a plain packaging.


Evan: It's to warm up your stomach, you'll feel better after eating it.


I took the ginger candy and swallowed it obediently, the taste of brown sugar's fragrance mixed with spice quickly spread everywhere, and lightened the bitterness in my mouth.


You: I didn't expect you to actually like eating this...


Evan: It's not me who likes it.


You: Huh?


Evan placed the hair drooping by my face to the back of my ear.


Evan: The winds are too strong, let's talk after we get inside.


I quietly followed behind him. So... Did he purposely bring this for me?


Fingertips gently caressing the box in my pocket, the spice of the ginger candy gradually diminishes, only leaving with the aftertaste of its sweetness.



There's the open air restaurant of the Kazama* after walking through the cloister, the rows of long tables are serving various kinds of tidbits.


*T/N: Ship name.


On the side of the delicate bone china cutlery, there are a few fresh begonias placed in the liuli vase, yet to be fully bloomed.


Evan: I've ordered a light lunch, you still have to to eat even if you're unwell.


You: Okay!


The end of the restaurant is a souvenir shop, a row of puppet mobile phone accessories are displayed before the glass window, the adorable looks have immediately taken my attention away.


You: How adorable!


I dragged Evan to the shop entrance, holding a cartoon seagull as I swing it before his eyes.


You: Doesn't it look like you?


The seagull toy kept its broad wings, wearing a shirt and a suit, with black rims of glasses covering half of its face.


Evan did not refute, also picking a flying fish toy and compared it by my side, with his eyes exuding a smile.



Evan: This looks like you too.


There are two patches of silly blush over the flying fish's cheeks, right now it's widening its big brown eyes, looking at me innocently.


You: Not at all!


I quickly snatched the toy from his hand, although saying so, I still paid for it obediently.


You: Evan, lend me your phone for a bit. Treat this accessory as the gift of return for this trip... It's done!


The seagull is hung under the completely silver phone, and its round body swung around.


I looked at the prudent Evan, then looked at the stocky and adorable toy, the clear contrast made me unable to help myself but to laugh.


Male Staff: Missy, you have such great taste! This is the last pair for these toys!


This comes in... a pair?


I blinked in confusion, Evan kept his phone, and his lips curved into a smile.


Evan: Mm.



You: So you knew about it all along!


The male staff covered his mouth and laughed secretly, I pretended to let out a couple of coughs, pushed and shoved Evan as I dragged Evan back to the table.


It's close to noon, the tourists in the restaurant are continuously increasing, the sounds of chattering could be heard everywhere.


I half-supported my head as I looked at the two tiny toys on the table, while stuffing a big piece of pumpkin tart along the way.


You: So the two of you are a pair, but the two of you are different species...


Evan: It's not a pair in the natural world. The seagull and flying fish is considered a wonderful legend of Ritou.


Evan pushed the freshly brewed roselle tea towards me.



Evan: According to the legends, this sea just awoken from the harsh winters a long time ago. All creatures moved forward along the set trajectory, and that includes the flying fish.



Evan: It swims carefreely in the seas, until one day, when it leaped out from the water surface, a seagull flew past coincidentally. The moment their gaze met, they sorrowfully realized that they have actually fallen in love with each other. From then onwards, the seagull hovered in the skies and became unwilling to return, and the flying fish is unwilling to dive into the deep seas.


You: What happens next?



???: Then, their stubbornness summoned the God of Seas stationed in the Ritou. The God of Seas said, as long as the sea is dried out, the flying fish in the water will become a seagull.


On the table beside me, a silver-haired granny sat there unknowingly.


There's a floral scarf tied around her neck, the clear sunlight poured on her face, showing some fine lines from it.


You: Granny, have you heard of this legend too?



Granny: Of course, any child grew up in the Ritou would be able to memorize this story.


You: Then did they get together?


The granny did not utter a word, so I can only threw my gaze seeking for help at Evan.


Evan paused, and continued from the story earlier.


Evan: After that, the seagull continuously picked up rocks and threw it into the ocean, and finally it's so exhausted that it's about to collapse. Its body gradually sinking into the depths of the sea, at its final moment, it saw the flying fish, and the flying fish saw it too. This is their first time, also their only time to have shed a tear. The tears blended into the seas, and turned into the various creatures of the Ritou.


You: The cries in the deep seas... But what's the use of it? In the very end, the seagull and flying fish didn't know they have cried for each other.


Evan: Mm.


You: What a sad legend...



Evan: But it's often the stories with a tragic end that can be passed down. Just like this island, everyone have gradually forgotten its original name. Only remembered the seagull and flying fish parted here, hence they named it the Ritou.


The waiter softly interrupted our conversation, and served the delicious lunch properly.


Only then I noticed that there's also a seagull accessory tied onto the granny's handbag.


On the side of the accessories, there's a "Yan" embroidered crookedly on it.


What's different is that, this seagull has long discolored. To place it with the delicate, luxurious aged bag together is such a mismatch.


You: Yan... Is that your name, granny?


I pointed at the accessory on the bag. The granny only smiled faintly, and shook her hair.



Granny: This isn't my name, but someone very important to me.


As she spoke, the granny gently caressed the yellowing accessory with her fingertips properly, even her gaze have became much more gentle.


Granny: This is made a very long time ago, even the word is sewn by him. The other flying fish is even uglier, with a "Ying", sewn like a centipede.


You: Did he left?


The granny became a little absentminded, as if she has fell into her endless memories.


Granny: I was the one who left.


You: Eh?


Two cubes of sugar sank into the bottom of the cup, and very quickly melted with the bitter coffee.


Ripples surged in the granny's eyes, but there aren't much sadness from her voice, as if she's telling the most ordinary matter.



Granny: When I was about 16 or 17, I originally thought I'll be staying in Tanhei* forever. A Yan and I have grew up together, and each time he returns from the seas, I'd be happily waiting for him at the port. Afterwards... a war broke out. Father relied on his small business and used a lot of relations, preparing to bring the entire family to escape to Russia. I was stubbornly unwilling to leave, so father could only lock me into the attic, that's the one and only time I didn't appear at the port.


*T/N: Name of a fishing village there. I used JP for all location names in this card.


In a rainy season when she was 17, they were forced to separate in the midst of war.


The story later didn't sound bright, one headed to the freezing country in the north, and the other remained in the warm Ritou, and have never met ever since.



You: Then how about letters? Although it might be difficult, but if you keep writing there's always a chance for it to be delivered...


Granny: I've wrote them before. I wrote so much, but I've never received a reply.


Granny picked up her coffee, and took a light sip. Under the sunlight, the wedding ring between her finger exuded a shimmer.


Granny: Those were all boring matters of the past.


You: How could this be...


Evan gently covered the back of my hand with his palm, an reassuring warmth soothed my sadness.


As we spoke, Kazama's speed began to slow down.


Granny: You're almost there, Ritou is the most beautiful at this season, have an enjoyable journey.


You: Granny, aren't you disembarking with us?



Granny: I have to continue boarding the yacht, until the final stop Koryoko.


You: Koryoko?


A long sound of horn interrupted our conversation, the yacht parked stably at the port.


We can only stand up and bid farewell, following the crowd as we disembark the yacht. 


Seeing me being absentminded, Evan patted my head.



Evan: Are you still thinking about what happened earlier?


You: Yeah. Evan, what kind of place is Koryoko?


Evan: It's a little island, at the southmost of Ritou. But it's too desolated, only the fishermen who head to the seas would rest on that island occasionally.


You: Why would granny go somewhere that desolated? I thought she's visiting her relative in Ritou.


Evan: She's probably... there to bid farewell.


You: Eh?


Just when I was about to continue asking, Evan have instead gently held me by my shoulder, and brought me out from the bustling crowd.


The sea breeze by the shore is salty and damp, immediately bringing away the tiredness that have lasted for days.



Evan: Have you already thought of where to go?


I opened the sightseeing handbook, but the tourist spots marked on the map are now unappealing to me at all.


The endless seawaters are right under azure skies, the Ritou is just like a scroll painting, slowly opening itself before my eyes.



You: I suddenly think exploring freely isn't a bad idea too.


The mist dispersed. I looked towards this little island showered under the sunlight, and I've decided to head to--



[Choice: How about we start from here.]



Intimacy: Sky by a Thread

Listening: Clouddrift Bay

Heartthrob: Tanhei Village



[Choice: Do Nothing]


Closing the handbook, I raised my gaze and look into the distant, the thick colors of snow covered the faraway skies.



You: I've decided not to going to the tourist spots.


Evan: Looks like you have a better idea.


You: Actually I don't... Evan, didn't you say you'll stroll aimlessly every time you come to the Ritou? I wanted to also walk on the paths you've walked before, and look at the scenery you've seen before. You used to be alone back then, so now I'll be your company.


Evan stunned slightly, the pair of eyes behind those glasses became soft.



Evan: Alright. 



We walked along the warm sunlight, and walked all the way north until QiuMing Street.


The mottled stone walls and building quietly lined up on the sides, the fresh laundry hanging on the second floor is gently lifted by the winds.


There are children playing and chasing around on the stone road, and there are also elderly chit-chatting joyfully on the long benches.


This is the place that has the most ordinary world of the Ritou with the sparks of life.



You: Evan, where is the furthest place you've walked to?


Evan: I don't remember it either. 


After pondering for a moment, Evan extended an arm and pointed to the horizon in distant.


The bright lights chased off the mists. Under the clear skies, I can see the blurry shadows of Koryoko. 


You: So far...


Why does Evan like strolling so much?



Evan: Are you now thinking, why would someone like to keep strolling so much?


I met Evan's eyes, and averted my gaze feeling a little guilty.


You: No no, I was just thinking... What sort of delicious food are there in Ritou!


Evan: There definitely are, but they aren't really famous.



Evan led me into an alley, behind the old cobblestone building lies a push cart.


On the slanting blackboard reclining against the push cart, "Ritou's Handmade Cooling Soup" is written on it with chalk.



You: Cooling soup?


After Evan paid for it, he pushed a bowl of weird sweet soup towards me.


The glutinous rice sinks at the bottom of the bowl, with green bean, red bean, candied dates, winter melon sugar, and red and green shreds of fruit.


I gave a sip out of curiosity, a refreshingly sweet scent filled my mouth in an instant.


You: So cooling...!


Evan: Because there's mint water.


At this moment, the heat from the baking sun have completely dispersed within this little bowl.


You: Evan.


Evan: Hm?


Evan raised his head slightly, the light sprinkles over the table through the parasol tree.


I supported my cheeks languidly, and looked at him quietly.



Evan: Spacing out already?


I shook my head, finger drew a circle along his outline.


You: I'm just thinking that you are different in Ritou compared to usual times.


Evan: How different?


You: It's hard to say. I think you're a little more carefree.


Just like the deep seas of Ritou, the steady and self-sustaining Evan is being left in the bustling Guang Qi.



Evan: Then, which me do you like better?


You: Of course I like--


Just when words got out of my mouth, only then I realized that this question itself has traps hidden within it.


You: I like the cooling soup better!


I lowered my head and quietly ate. Evan soothed his brows, his entirety showered in the warm light.


An extremely faint chuckle wafted over from the winds, gently landing on my heart.




[Intimacy: One-Line Sky]



Evan and I walked through a forest and arrived the southmost area of Ritou following the GPS.


Under the steep cliff lies a rock beach formed under the beating waves.


The rock beach extends forward, blending with the azure skies, looking like an endless straight line.



You: No wonder this place is called One-line Sky!


I carefully climbed somewhere high, this island reef is so quiet that only sounds of rolling gravels could be heard.


There aren't even a single drifting boat in the distant seas, it feels like I've entered a forgotten time.


You: Ah--!


I spread my arms open and yelled as I welcome the winds, the choppy echoes came back from the edge of the reef.


You: Evan--!


The waves surged, and covered my voice.


I can only tiptoe and wave at him, then curved my fingers into a shape of loudspeaker, and placed my hands by my mouth.


You: Let's shout together!! It can relief stress!


Evan shook his head gently, but a faint smile lingered by his lips as he held my wrist and brought me back to the shore.



Evan: Be careful.


You: It's hard to see nobody around, do you really not want to give it a try? Then what do you do whenever you have a lot of stress? If it were for me... my mood will get a lot better if I had a great feast, or to properly cry after watching a movie.


Evan curved his index finger and placed it under his lips, looks like he is really thinking about this question seriously.


You: Hehe, it can't possibly be an unspeakable way of catharsis, right?



Evan: Unspeakable way of catharsis?


Evan leaned a little closer towards me.


Evan: Which way are you thinking about?


I'm stared at so much that my cheeks are burning a little, and I'm a little regretting to simply blurting things out.


He pulled some distance from me, then looked towards the surging seas.


Evan: Nobody has ever asked me this question before. If I had to say it, it's probably strolling.


You: That simple?


Evan: Mhm.


You: Then what are we waiting for?


I held his hand and ran towards the wide beach of the reef.


The soft white sands on the beach is so comfortable, I threw my shoes away in a whim, stepping onto the shorelines and ran forward.


A large wave surged, the cooling seawaters covered my ankle that I shrunk myself from trembling.


I suddenly missed a step, and lost my balance in an instant.


*SFX: Thud* 


You: !!


My body didn't fell into the sea as expected, but instead have fallen into a warm embrace.


On the next second, I feel my legs leaving the ground.



Evan: Are you alright?


You: Yeah...


Evan carried me bridal style, the sudden sense of dangling made me subconsciously hooked myself over his neck.


During the movement, the corner of my lips accidentally brushed past the side of his neck, and brought up a damp warmth.


You: You can put me down now...


Evan placed me back to the ground as a faint smile exudes from his gaze.


My cheeks are heating up slightly. I wanted to say something, but I can only stutter and blurt out nonsense.


You: I didn't expect the waves to be this big...


Evan: It's very big indeed. When I was very little, I always think the sea has a life itself. Each time the waves surged, it's its breath.


You: Then have you felt the breath of the seas?


Evan: What?


You: Wanna feel it?


In a whim, I pulled Evan and lied on the beach.



The scene before us immediately became vast, with a few light clouds slowly floating in the clear blue sky.


The sunlight faintly pours the shadows of the clouds on the white sands, time felt like it has slowed down at this moment.



Evan: Are you feeling uncomfortable? It'll be a little better if you pillow my arm.


Seeing Evan closing his eyes, I bravely snuggled over, and gently leaned my head against his elbow.


The faint scent of cedar from his collar has covered the salty dampness of the sea breeze.


Evan: It's also a fortunate thing to be able to take a pause like this occasionally.


We lied down quietly just like that, and the relaxed body is very quickly drowned in tiredness.


Until Evan ruffled my hair, that only I finally open my eyes in a blur.


Evan: You'll catch a cold if you fell asleep here.


You: Okay...



Evan extended an arm towards me. I held onto his palm, standing up while still longing for the beach.



Evan: Turn around.


You: Huh?


I didn't understand why, but I still obediently turned away. His hand gently brushed along my spine, shaking off bits of the golden sand.


Evan: There's sand all over your clothes. 


You: Ah... There are some on you too.


The sun gently pours on Evan, I extended my arm to pat the fine sands on his left collar.


[Help Evan to pat off the sand on his left collar]



[Outcome 1: Tap anywhere but his ?]



[Tap on his hair] How about I lower my head?

[Tap on his right collar] Is there something here?

[Tap on his chest] You surprised me.

[Tap on his abdomen] I exercise daily.

[Tap under his belt] What kind of response do you wish see from me?



I quickly kept my hand back, fingertips slightly burning.


You: There's sand here too...


I lowered my voice as my guilty conscience kicked in, avoiding Evan's gaze that exudes a faint smile.


Evan: I know.


Splashes from the waves wet the hem of my dress as the breezes brush past my skin, rippling a sliver of coolness. 


I subconsciously scrunched my nose.


Evan draped the jacket on his hands over my shoulder, then extended an arm to hold mine.


You: You'll be cold later!



Evan: So hold me tight. Hold me tight, then I won't feel cold anymore.


The warmth fell on my palm, followed by the gradually pulsing throbs.



The sun has already set, the sea breeze brushes past our hair as the cooling dampness seeps into our pores.


Yet the temperature coming through the fingertips is the first intoxicating warmth in the season of early winters.




[Outcome 2: Tap on his left collar]



[Tap on his left collar] I didn't even notice it, thank you.


The sands are shaken off, and blended into the dark golden beach.


Looking at the vast surface of the sea, I suddenly wanted to leave something here.



You: Evan, let's write our names on the beach before we leave!


I simply picked up an air-dried seashell, and draw a curve line on the flat beach.


You: Ah, it's crooked...


I originally thought Evan didn't notice it, so I secretly covered it with sand, and quietly walked to the other side.


I didn't expect to hear a light chuckle, so I can only turned to look at him with a puffy face.


Evan bent his fingers and placed it by his lips, slowly stopping his smile.



Evan: I'm sorry. I just find you looking really adorable just now.


He leaned over to take the dried seashell from my hand, and drew a pair of glasses on the beach.


Evan: It's too complicated to write down our names. How about we draw an item that represents us? 


You: Sounds like a good idea! But what to draw...


After giving it a thought, I drew a rainbow beside the pair of glasses. 


Evan: Why a rainbow?


You: I originally wanted to draw a little sun, but it's too tired to always radiate light and heat! Might as well becoming a rainbow, rainbows are the seven-colored light breaking down from the sun. Although its appearance is very short-spanned, but it can always bring infinite wonders to people.


Evan: Like now?


Evan sticks my hand onto his face, slightly  tilting his head , and looking at me with a gentle gaze. 



The sunset rays gently pours on the crooked doodles, and also lengthened our shadows.


On our way back to the port, the sounds of the waves are gradually furthering away.


Under the sinking dusk lights, the seawaters seeps to the shore, and soothed the traces we left there.



[Listening: Clouddrift Bay]


It's a holiday that is hard to get by, so I've decided to relax completely and feel the boundless times of Ritou.



Taking a short ride of sightseeing car, passing through the longest road of Ritou, we've arrived the Clouddrift Bay filled with coral reef.



Sea breeze brushes past the layers of cloud in the azure skies, brushing past the lush silvergrass, and finally brush over my face, cooling my entire body.



You: How comfortable! This is how a holiday should be!


The waves moved back, while conches of various shapes are washed ashore, glimmering bits of shimmer under the sunlight.


Evan simply picked one up, with the sea breeze messing up his fringe.


A tiny conch rests in his palm, like a colorful feather of a peacock.


You: So pretty! But I don't know the species...



Evan: This is a triton conch, on Ritou, it's also called echo conch.


You: Echo conch?


Evan: Yes, it's said that those who chase for the tides around Clouddrift Bay will pick up a type of magical conch. This type of conch can seal the words they wish to say, that's why it's called echo conch.


You: So that means... This thing can record voices?


Evan: You can put it that way.


You: How could that be possible~


I smiled as I lifted my head, but only to meet Evan's serious gaze.


You: Eh?



Evan: Don't you believe it?


Facing Evan's calmness, I actually began to start doubting too.


You: It doesn't look... much different compared to normal conches.


I knocked on its shell, there's only a dull sound.


You: Hello hello...?


No response either.


You: How about this, if you can store a voice message in there, I'll believe you.



Evan: Sure.


I was originally planning to make fun of Evan, but I didn't expect him to agree to it straightforwardly.


The waiting time always feel long, after quite a while, Evan has slowly returned.


Evan: Done.


I wonder what he'll say... I took the echo conch, and started to feel nervous all of a sudden.


The cooling yet tough shell sticks by my ear as time passes second by second...


Yet just as expected, there were only sounds of sea breeze with the undulating waves.


I shouldn't have hold any imaginations to ridiculous legends like this!


Just when I was about to expose Evan, there's a husky voice sounded by my ear.



Evan: Did you hear it?


No way, did the conch really make a sound?


I was so shocked that I immediately raise my head, only to realize Evan's face is just within close reach.


Evan: Did I scare you?


He held my hand, and placed the echo conch back to my ear.


A faint smile surfaced from his face, and he's leaning over a little more closer.



Evan: I'm sorry, I lied to you just now.


I puffed my cheeks in dissatisfaction, wanting to poke Evan away from me, but he have instead held me within his arms.


Evan: Y/N, although there aren't sea conches that could store messages, but these words are what I wished to tell you.



[A voice clip will play]



It's actually outside of my plans to bring you to Ritou.


Before this, I have never traveled with anyone else.


When the weather was good in the past, I will aimlessly walk forward along the western coastline.


Occasionally I'd wonder, would my body be drowned by the waves if I kept walking?


I met many people along the way.


But over time, I realized that they can only show you the path, but they can't walk the path for you.


I've also begun to understand, that if I were to truly look at this world, I have to walk down the path alone.


Times like this are just like the tides, undulating in my life.


But until today, I suddenly realized, I don't have to date all sceneries alone.


Turns out that it can also be a happy thing for two person to be shoulder-to-shoulder without conversing.


By the time I turned around, you're following behind me.


Stepping on the footprints I left on the beach, hopping and leaping as you walk forward.


When the sandcastles we built are buried by the waves, you'll continue building them.


*chuckles* In order to watch hermit crab moving home, you chased along the long reefs.


The colorful shells all fell out from your arms, and you have no choice but to pick them up all over again.


There are many moments that I would think, it seems like there's nothing in the world that could knock you down.


You're walking very slow, and I too, have slowed down my footsteps.


I'm still looking at the endless undulating tides before my eyes...


Yet my heart, has slowly calmed down.


I know, Ritou is still Ritou, there's not a single bit of change in it.


The only thing that has truly changed, is myself.


Yet everything are because of your existence.


*seagull noises*


Alright, I'm done saying.


How about you?


If there's really a sea conch that can store messages, what would you like to tell me?


Nothing much to tell?


Really?


If there isn't any, then why are you blushing?


Or should I say, will you only be willing to tell me if we are in another setting?


Come a little closer?


Alright, just tell me.


The words you wish to store in the conch is... Hoping I can possess the simplest form of happiness?


Only these? Then why do you have to avoid my gaze?


Actually... Your wish has already came true.


Hugging you right now, is the simplest form of happiness.


Don't move, let me stay like this a just a little longer.


When the sunset has completely disappeared from this reef, let's slowly go home together.




[Heartthrob: Tanhei Village]



You: I wanted to have a look at Tanhei village.



Evan: You wanted to see an abandoned city?


You: Yeah.


Accurately speaking, I wanted to have a look at the old times carved onto this island.


It's said that it was the most bustling place of Ritou, and in order to avoid disasters, the villagers moved out one by one, and there's only an abandoned stone house left.



Evan and I boarded the sightseeing cable car all the way until the Pointe West beach, and the remaining path required us to walk.



Walking up the mountains along the algae stone steps, the empty village wrapped with creepers gradually entered my sight. The mountain is looking lush green from afar.


You: This is just so beautiful!


The entire mountain is shrouded under the bright sunlight, there's not a sense of years of abandonment, but it have instead presenting its serenity.


You: Evan, have you been to Tanhei?



Evan: Yeah. When I was a little over 10 years old, this was the place I stayed the longest besides Guang Qi.


You: Then what were the things you do when you're on the island?


Evan: Hm... Strolling I suppose.


You: Strolling?


Has Evan always been strolling aimlessly on the island during his teenage years?


You: Then didn't you have already strolled across the entire Ritou? It must've been really boring to come here with me.


Evan: It won't. It's always a first whenever I'm with you.


Evan's gaze fell on my shoulder, the sea breezes brushed from afar, scattering his soft voice.



Going around the mountains, a colorful treehouse entered my sight.


You: Evan, look over there!


The afternoon sunlight gradually spills through the layers of clouds, and in the overlaying aquamarine colors, the colorful graffiti on the walls are particularly eye-catching.


You: The owner of this house must've been someone interesting. Let's have a look!


I tugged Evan's sleeves, but he have took the chance to hold my hand, and wrapped it within his palm.



Evan: The path is a little steep, walk slowly.


I smiled a little, and also held Evan's warmth in my hand.


You: You too.


We kept walking along the path, and arrived the entrance of the treehouse. 


The wall that has been through times is layered with dust, but it still didn't cover its original bright images.


Two little humans drew by concrete paint are running hand in hand by the seaside, laughing heartily; also lighting up the bonfire by the beach as they cuddled each other.


The peeling wall painting are like films with scratches, gradually revealing the images of the past.


You: It has been so long since I've seen a graffiti with such liveliness in it. Although it's rough, but it's very warm.



Evan: Mm. I think these are the wonderful memories that the owner of the painting wishes to remember the most.



Upon opening the treehouse door, the moldy smell did not arrive as expected. But on the contrary, what welcomed us is the scent of leaves.


The décor in the living room is very simple, there are only two racks, a dining table, and the tidily placed fishing tools.


You: I didn't expect the house to be quite clean after years have passed!


Evan: Someone cleaned this place before.


You: Eh? Hasn't this place been abandoned already?


Evan's finger glides past the veil lamp on the table.



Evan: There's only a layer of thin ash, it doesn't look long abandoned. There's probably someone wishing to keep this house, but not living here at usual times.


Evan's guess aroused my curiosity.


You: Let's go and have a look upstairs.


We walked up the wooden stairs, and surprisingly found the lighting being good.


You: It's such a pity to not live here.



The second floor is a short attic, with an empty balcony attached to its end.


The afternoon sunlight pours into the room, scattering warm bits of light on the floor.


There's a hammock hanging on the aisle, thin the layers of the metal rack, there are a couple of old yellowing books stacking on it.



Evan: They are Russian novels.


You: What are they about?


Evan: Warfare.


I simply flipped a few pages, the winds made the pages fluter.


You: Ah--


Evan: What's wrong?


You: Nothing, the bookmark dropped.


The little piece of paper slotted between the pages fluttered in the air, and flew somewhere.


I immediately squatted down and searched around.


Evan switched on his phone torch, with an arm gently supporting against the table corner.


Evan: Be careful not to bump into it.


The bookmark fell into a slit between the racks, in the dim light, I tried my best to extend my arm, but I wasn't able to catch on anything.


I twisted my sore arm, and a familiar warm breath could be felt from the back.


Evan: Hold my phone for me.


Evan squatted down sideways, his slender arm passes over my shoulder, and easily picked the bookmark dropped at the corner.


You: Thank you...


I turned around to draw the bookmark away from his hand, and coincidentally Evan is also slightly lowering his head.


The fringe scattering before his forehead gently brushes pas my damp lips, bringing out a sliver of flirtatious dampness.


As the warm breath pours on my face, my body trembled a little, and leaned backwards from losing my balance.


You: !


Evan quickly grabbed onto my waist, the familiar absinthe scent wafted from his collar, and just like that, I'm now encircled within his embrace.



You: ... Thank you.


I moved my body a little, and Evan increased the strength of his grip at my waist.


Evan: You should look at the other party when you say thank you. Why don't you dare to look at me?


Against the light, behind the dark cold rims, lies Evan's deep pair of gentle eyes.


My heart suddenly contracted. I gripped onto his hem, slowly raising my head to meet his gaze.


You: I wasn't...


Before I can look properly, Evan suddenly lowered himself. The scent from him has gotten clearer, and dominated all of my breath.


Evan: Really?


I subconsciously took a small step backwards, and accidentally bumped into the bookshelf.


Thud--! It sounded like the metal dropping on the floor, and what followed was the floating dust that comes with it.


You: Ahem ahem...


Evan: Did it scare you?


I shook my head. Evan pulled some distance away, and only then I could clearly see that it's a metal box that hasn't been maintained for a long time that have fell onto the floor.


Patches of rust are all over the box, the lock is already broken from the fall, the postcards stored within scattered everywhere.


You: Judging from the post cut, they are all mailed from overseas.


Evan extended an arm to help me up, then leaned over to keep the cards properly, and dusted off the dust on them.


Evan: It's Saint Petersburg. 


I leaned closer and flipped the postcards, there are so many postcards coming from Russia.


The writing are very neat, but the content are all general greetings.


You: "Seeing my words are just like seeing me in person. Have you been doing well recently?"


You: "Seeing my words are just like seeing me in person. I hope everything has been well."


Behind these casual talks, there's even a same line of Russian written on it.


You: Is this...?



Evan: I love you.


You (flustered): Huh?


Evan bent down a little, and leaned sideways by my ear.


Seeing me looking completely dumbfounded, he smiled helplessly.



Evan: I'm saying, this Russian phrase means "I love you".


Realizing that I've misunderstood him, I quickly lowered my head, pretending to be tidying the postcards properly. 


Suddenly, a familiar name entered my view.


I tugged Evan's sleeve.


You: Look here!


The postcard that has an image of Hermitage Museum printed on it has a "Ying" signed on it.


You: It's the same name with the granny on the yacht! But could it be just a coincidence?


Evan: I believe that isn't the case.


Evan placed another stack of postcards on the table, drew one of them out, and flipped it over.


The traces of ink smudged faintly, but a powerfully written "Yan" can be vaguely read from it.


You: Wait a second, the one Yan wrote has never been delivered...


I quickly browsed the rest of the postcards, and none of them are of exception, there were no stamps, nor there were any post cuts.


You: But why?



Evan: Perhaps he wished to leave everything to time.


Winds slowly brushed into the room. The postcards Ying sent are already very old, each wrinkle on them exudes the yellowing traces of age.


You: Would everything possibly be better if no words were told?


The hammock swung a little with the winds, perhaps Yan was lying on it throughout many lonely nights.


Reading and caressing these yearning thoughts from the wartime separation with the lights from sunset.





Evan did not answer, only pondering for a moment, then leaned against the hammock, and held my hand to let me sit on one side.


Evan: Come a little closer.


The hammock is bent a little more downwards, the sunlight gently poured over half of his frame, with the other half poured on Yan's letter.


Evan held the postcard up, his deep voice spilled from his throat, just like the floating dust in the afternoon.


Evan: I've been well. The albizias have bloomed on Mt. Onmyo, it's very beautiful, but it's a pity that I didn't manage to find the one we planted together.


Evan: I've been well. It's the season to make rice cakes. Do you still like eating red bean rice cake soup? I've learnt to make it a few times, but they lack your flavor.


Evan: I've been well. I returned from the seas in the afternoon, and took the remaining pearls to make a bracelet. I originally wanted to send it to you, but forget it, you probably wouldn't have the need to use it too.


Evan paused, his knuckles moved to the top right corner of the postcard, the space for stamp still has its traces of glue on it.


One postcard after another, his voice seemed to have a unique magic that could pass through the torrents of time.



Evan: I've been well. It was still half year ago since the last time I received your postcard. I walked past your house on the other day, the silvergrass has grown to the windows.


Evan: I've been well. There are typhoons recently, I've stayed at home for many days. There aren't anything bad, just a little bored.


Evan: I've been well. There's only the last book left unread among novel you gifted me before you left. My vision has been a lot worse recently.


Evan: I've been well. I've finally received the concrete paint from the boatman some time ago, and I was about to draw something on the outer wall. It's just that...


You: What happened?


Evan pulls the postcard slightly further from him, an almost inaudible sigh dispersed within the quiet attic.


Evan: It's just that my vision is getting gradually unclear, my writing is a little ugly, you would definitely make fun of me.


My breath paused slightly, a bad premonition is just like a drop of ink, spreading unstoppably in clear waters.


Evan: I've been well. I've been staying with everyone in the dugout, I'm safe for now. But it's too dim here, I've wasted a piece of paper, I feel a little sad...


Evan: I've been well. I accidentally knocked over the photo frame when I woke up this morning. I stared at our photo together for a while, but I still couldn't see it clearly. But thankfully, your looks have been carved into my mind long ago.


I opened my mouth wanting to say something, but a certain soreness have cruelly tangled around my heart.



Evan: Do you want me to continue?


I nodded, Evan saw me looking down, and sat up as he helped himself up from the hammock.


A warm breath shrouded me from behind. He encircled me from behind, and loosely held me in his embrace, the hand holding the postcards circled to the front.


Evan: I've been well. It has been a long time since I looked into the mirror, I only found out I already had quite some white hair when I was at the barber's shop yesterday! How about you? Would you be secretly smiling occasionally, and be thankful that you are forever young in my heart?


Evan: I've been well. It's also a warm winter this year, the snow in Saint Petersburg must've been thick, right? You loved snow the most, you must've been really happy.


Evan: I've been well. The seas are open recently, I wanted to visit Koryoko again before I completely lose my sight. I hope you've already ended your short trip to Norway by the time I'm coming home.


You: Koryoko? Isn't that the place Granny Ying wanted to go?


Evan: Mm.


Evan placed the postcards aside, I turned around and looked towards him, but he gazed towards the surging azure waves in distant.


You: Did something... happen in Koryoko?


Evan: A shipwreck.


Evan's voice was faint, but it's exceptionally clear in this quiet space.



Evan: During an autumn 40 years ago, Junsho* departing from Koryoko encountered a rainstorm on its return trip. Among over 20 crewmembers in the seas, none of them survived.


*T/N: Ship name.


A swelling soreness surged from my heart, I tried my best to suppress my teary eyes, and poured out the rest of the postcards out from the metal box.


Yet no matter how I find it, there are nothing else that is written after this date.


You: ......


Yan has forever remained in the depths of the seas, just like the seagull in the legends.


So... That's why Granny Ying said her destination of this trip is Koryoko.


My throat is turning a little bitter, I subconsciously leaned towards Evan, only feeling his embrace being incomparably warm and safe.


You: I seemed to have asked a lot of things that made granny sad on the yacht.


He shook his head, warm fingers passing between my fingers, and gently locking into mine.


Evan: The ones you asked are her happiest moments.


Evan allowed me to hold onto him in uneasiness, and led me to turn another postcard over.


Evan: I've been well. Would you be unused to it when you leave the islands? This question sounded a little silly. You're not a fish, how would you not be used to it?


Evan: I've been well. I've been sitting at the port for the entire afternoon. You'll be here waiting for me each time I go to the sea. Come and think of it, it seems like I've never waited for you.


Evan: I've been well. Although my vision has weakened a lot, but my hearing seemed to be sharper than before. The waves hitting the reefs, herons flying over the top... Why have I never noticed there are so many pleasant sounds in the past?


You: Evan.


Bright sunlight pours over us, but it felt like my heart has been covered by heavy curtains. And behind the curtains, is the boundless deep seas at night.



I picked up the postcard, placed them down, and after repeating them a few times, I've finally stood up and walked to the balcony.



Looking down from high up, the reef extends endlessly along the sea surface, and crossed into a line with the sky.



Evan: Do you want to feel his world?


You: Eh?


Suddenly, Evan's hand passed by my side, his palms covered my eyes.


I subconsciously grabbed onto his wrist.


Evan: Can you hear it?


You: Yes, there are sounds of the waves.


Evan: And?


You: Sounds of the rustling leaves. It seems like there's a book blown open, the pages are rustling.


Evan's voice sounded husky as if it has brushed against a sliver of sand, yet it also carries a bit of faint gentleness.


The sounds of the waves are like the white noise, mixing with various frequencies as it surges over.


It feels like my entirety has been submerged into the seawaters, with a warmth that I can't grasp onto completely surrounding me.


Evan: Y/N, I think death is not the loss of life, but only to have walked out from time. Whether life or work, leave all of the irritancy here forever.


Waves surged one after another, pushing its vast encirclement towards me, and moved backwards with its gentle tolerance.


When I opened my eyes slightly, light immediately spilled from the slits between the fingers, while also chased the haze that has been spreading in my chest.


You: Okay.


I paused, and while Evan was unaware, I turned around to take away the golden-rimmed spectacles on his face.


Looking at the slight surprise flashing past Evan's eyes, I slowly let out a faint smile.



You: Looking at the scenery like this is good for the eyes. I'd say the same for you. Just leave all of those irritancies here forever.


Evan finally understood what happened, lips curved into a helpless smile, spilling an extremely light chuckle.


He leaned against the edge of the balcony as he stared at me for a moment, and without any warning, he suddenly extends an arm and pulled me closer.


You: Eh?


My body collapses forward with the loss of balance, and wrinkled each other's shirts.



Evan: I didn't wear my spectacles, so I can't see well*. So, I can only stay a little closer to you.


*T/N: His eyesight is not bad. lol.


The warm breath is gently blown away, the butterfly stopping on Evan's shoulder fluttered its wings, and slowly flew away between us.


Suddenly, I felt like there are also many butterflies flying in my body, about to fly out from my mouth.


You: I'm asking you to watch the scenery, not me... here, here, I'll return it to you.


I simply stuffed the spectacles back into Evan's arms. He lowered his head and smiled, then wears it back to his nose bridge.



The sun starts to set to the west, and slowly sinking into the crossing between mountain and seas.


You: Let's go downstairs. As for these postcards...


Evan: Do you wish to bring them out for Ying?


The cards on the hammock are scattering around, like the unhealed wounds exposed to the air.


I kept my short-lived lingering gaze, and ended up shaking my head.


You: Let's return the belongings back to their owner.



Before leaving the treehouse, we tidied the postcards properly, and placed them back into the metal box.


The wooden door is gently closed, and everything are just the same as the time we've arrived.



Evan and I walked shoulder to shoulder, and quietly walked down the slope.


Evan: Are you still feeling troubled?


You: Yeah. I'm not sure if what I did was right. If I didn't bring the postcards out, granny might not know about it forever... The one she has been seriously waiting for, is also seriously waiting for her.



Evan: I think, this can't be differentiated between right or wrong. You've only made a choice to respect his decisions.


Perhaps Evan was right, Yan didn't want Ying to know he's about to lose his sight, and Ying has never mentioned about the separation without goodbyes back then in the postcards.


Evan: Let's let them to keep their happiness in each other's memories.


A pebble brushed past my foot, then rustled as it rolled down. I subconsciously slowed down my footsteps.


You: Evan, if it were for you, will you feel regret?


Evan: I can't answer you regarding this question for now. Perhaps time will tell us the answer.


Evan held my hand, the sunset pours on his body, outlining an extremely faint golden light.


I turned back for the very last time. Under the orange clouds, that treehouse became gradually smaller, and hidden in the intercrossing veins.


Uncertain of the reason, I recalled the words Yan written on his bookmark-- There's no misfortune comparable to losing memories.


Hence I softly called out Evan's name, and held his hand in return.


You: Evan.



Evan: Mm, I'm here.


Evan's faint smile is the last gentle light under the darkening skies.



[Common Ending]



By the time we're back to the port, we manage to catch the last speedboat of the day.



The boat slowly sails away from the surface of the seas, and two hours later, it will arrive the Guang Qi filled with lights.


In the souvenir shop, there are only couples of tourists still choosing their souvenir.



You: Mister, I wanted to buy two hanging chain for the toys.


I circled to the cashier, and swung the little flying fish under the phone.


Male Staff: No biggie, I'll gift you two, it's free.


When the male staff turned around, something fell off from his waist, falling onto the glass display rack, making a crisp sound.


You: Did you drop your key?


Male Staff: Ah! Thank you.


He bent down to pick up the weaved button, and in that big bundle of golden keys, a dirty flying fish toy is exceptionally eye-catching.


The toy flipped its body, revealing its crappy embroidery, it's a discolored "Ying".


You: Eh? Isn't this--


Evan and I quickly exchange glances, smiled together in tacit, and spoke probingly.


You: Mister, is this your toy?


Male Staff: It's not quite mine... Actually it belongs to my granduncle.


The male staff touched his neck, and placed the hanging chains on the table in order.


Male Staff: Do you want pink or blue?


You: Blue color it is. Your granduncle... must be a nifty person isn't he?


I carefully observed his response. Hearing my words, the male staff startled a little, then waved his arms as he laughed. 



Male Staff: No way, it is definitely not his works with by first glance... Oh! The word embroidered might be possible. But this is his most treasured item when he was alive, I was raised under his care, so carrying this around me is just me keeping it as a token of memory.


You: Does he have no other family members?


The male staff shook his head, and his voice slowed down.


Male Staff: My granduncle didn't marry, he has always been alone, until he passed away. He passed away in a shipwreck, so there's no way for burial. Whenever it's a festival, I can only pray in the house he used to live, and consider that a ritual done.


I took the hanging chain the male staff have wrapped, and gently held it in my hand.


Evan noticed me looking a little absentminded, walked forward and held me by my shoulder, and squeezed it a little.



Evan: Let's go.


You: Okay.


After saying goodbyes with the male staff, we walked to the bow as we braced the cooling night breezes.


The skies have now completely darkened, Evan and I leaned against the rail as we watched the sun slowly setting into the sea, letting its rays glistening across the entire deck.


Evan: Why did you take out your phone and place it down?



You: I feel like I can't take a photo with even one tenth of the beauty here. Forget it, it isn't bad to occasionally record it with my eyes too.


Evan did not say a word, only pouring his gentle gaze on me.


You: What's wrong?



Evan: You were the one saying it. I can't take a photo with even one tenth of the beauty, so I have to record it with my eyes.


A faint smile lingered past the corners of his lips, my cheeks immediately began burning.


You: Ahem, uh... This trip is really nice.


I forcefully changed the topic, yet I can't help but to peek at Evan. Under the dusky light, he seemed to look exceptionally soft.


You: I've indeed saw a few seagulls, but it's a pity that we didn't see flying fishes. But it's good to leave some regrets too.


Evan: Are you this easily satisfied?


You: Of course, isn't there a saying "life has many against the will, so just think of the happy thoughts"~


The dusk is about to disappear, the skies in the west is only left with its last bit of orange-red brightness.


As we spoke, there's suddenly a silver light gliding through the sea's surface, then a second one, and a third one...


You: !! Evan, hurry and look!

 

I shook his arm in agitation, pointing forward with my index finger excitedly. 


Slender flying fish leaped up from the seas, and formed into a white line in the surging waves.


It opened his fins, and glide freely on the sea's surface, as if it's attempting to chase the last bit of sunlight in mere seconds.



Evan: Looks like luck have always favored you.


You: It's favoring the both of us!


I smiled and looked at Evan, and suddenly remembered the legends he depicted earlier.


You: It's said that the seas and skies are just one line apart, it'd be great if the flying fish can get past the shoreline and arrive the skies. But.. Even for people in reality, it's never something easy to be together by breaking through obstacles. Moreover it's a legend...


I slowly lowered my voice, on the surface of dimly sparkling waters, a blurry layer of mist surfaced from it.



Evan: Actually, there's another ending of the story between the seagull and the flying fish.


You: Eh?





Evan leaned against the railing with his back, the evening breeze lifts his shirt.


Evan: Legend says that the moment before the seagull crashes, this love to death has finally touched the God of Seas. Yet the winter is about to arrive, and very quickly the entire land will be sealed in ice. Hence the God of Seas circled an area of sea, that place is eternally warm, and eternally peaceful. Although the seagull and flying fish are still separated by sea, but they are still sweetly together. The flying fish tried its best to leap its body, and the seagull is also willing to fly low for it. Despite they have only a short 40 seconds of encounter, but they are forever on their journey, and they will never stop.


Evan looked towards the deep seas quietly, Ritou is quietly distancing from us in the dusk lights.


A seagull unintentionally glides past our line of vision, and a transparent flying fish leaped out against the light.


Their wings and fins gently touched, then completely disappearing in the sunset, drowned in the gentle night.






While waiting for new updates... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.