Light and Night Main Story Chapter 8-03: Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏) | 光与夜之恋 主线剧情第八章(英译)

10/11/2021 06:57:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously in Chapter 8-01... (read here)


Mao Ge: Then wouldn't my debt be Jiang--


Together, Manman and I widened our mouths in shock.


Mao Ge: Ah, the meeting is almost starting, let's not be late!





Manman: Tell us honestly, what's up?



Mao Ge: We're in a meeting, be quiet.


Mao Ge's cheeks are as red as tomatoes, yet he's still unwilling to utter a single word, and looking forward so stiffly.



Manman: I'll let Hao Shuai to interrogate you after the meeting ends.


You: Right, why isn't Hao Shuai here? Isn't this the grand meeting for junior designers?


Mao Ge: This is a voluntary meeting, you know this too, he just wanted to have an easier life.


Designers from each group took their seats in order, and very quickly, the conference room is full.



Mya: I'm glad to see that none of you are late, then let's begin. Let's first talk about your proudest work ever since you joined the company. Who goes first?


Everyone looked at each other without expecting Mya to ask such a question. Then Mao Ge has already proactively raised his arm to volunteer.


Mao Ge: I'm a junior designer from Group A, I've been in Warson for 5 years, and I've participated many projects, while also made various individual works. The work that I'm most satisfied about is the time when Warson collaborated with Guang Qi's Old Folk's Home 4 years ago. I've designed summer outfits that are suitable for daily living, it's not only lightweight and breathable, but a health check system is also implemented. Then, many old folk's home in Guang Qi city started to use my design too, I still feel pretty accomplished from it.


Mya: The design back then was indeed praiseworthy. But you rarely showed any works that are as impressive within the three years after that. What you'll need from now on, is to walk out from the success back then, and achieve a breakthrough. Next, Gao Cheng, your turn.


Under everyone's gaze, Gao Cheng have stood up nervously.



Gao Cheng: I- I still have no successful individual works yet, but I have cooperated with the person in charge to handle the production of the sister brand during the last season. All of the crafting orders are completed by me, including sampling and supervising the factory.


Mya: Your sample-making craftmanship is indeed good. But as a designer, you should be working hard towards this direction* when you're in the design center. Humans can't always stay within their comfort zone, otherwise it will be more and more difficult for you to achieve success in designing works.


*T/N: Designing.


Gao Cheng nodded, and he was so embarrassed that his cheeks are completely flustered, and everyone's gaze at him now contains a sliver of pity.


Myra: Who's next?



You: May I?


Mya gestured Gao Cheng to sit down. I saw him letting out a sigh in relief while also throwing a thankful gaze towards me.


You: I'm a newbie designer from Group A, the work that I'm most satisfied of is the dress I've made for Lin Yao. I've received inspiration from her new film, and took a brave take to try a completely opposite style from her usual image. Although this dress didn't appear on the red carpets in the end, but it has accompanied Lin Yao to complete one of her important closing of her life's chapter.


Mya: Mm, not bad. Keep up with the good work. I hope you can all understand, designing is lonely, but it has never been a one-man fight. What it needs is for you to go all out to face every audience and partner that you're working with, as well as the new you that is born for each time you're in contact with the outside world.


Mya switches on the projector, and continued the topic earlier.



Mya: The reason why I asked this question, it's because I wanted to see if you are clear on what you truly wanted. Coming next, Warson will assign individual field work for you, and I hope all of you can give it a good thought before this.


Followed by the clear sounds of button clicking, the screen has displayed about 6 companies logos and names. There are TV broadcasting stations, airlines, and there's even the city zoo.


Mya: I've already split all of you into individual groups based on your skill mastery, and work on the collaboration. Those who aren't nominated will be in charge of assisting.



Manman: I'm so jealous, I wonder if I'll get chosen.


To be in charge of individual field work, it means to walk out of Warson, and representing Warson to be in touch of various industries. This is the acknowledgment from the company towards our personal capabilities, and also the first time a designer can announce their names to the outside world.


Everyone stared at the screen closely, with their eyes gleaming in desire.


Mya: Group C's Gabriella and Qin Jia will be in charge of the design of airline uniform. Group D's Zhou XiaoFei and Shen XiaZi will be in charge of designing the city zoo's work uniform.


Seeing the company names on the screen to be crossed off one by one, the only one now left is Guang Qi TV Broadcasting Station.



Mya: There's only one last left, costume designing for the finals of the musical talent show "Song of Strength" by Guang Qi TV Broadcasting Station. There are no arrangements yet, because this project is more unique. It requires the participant to represent Warson to participate bidding with other companies. So, according to Director Qi's opinion, the opportunity is open for the floor.


So everyone has a chance? A tiny commotion started among the originally quiet group of people.


You: What should I choose--


[Choice]



Night: Fight for it

Light: Hesitate


[Night: Fight for it]


I'm moved, and my arm is already raised high, and I can't wait to grab onto this rare opportunity, even if I knew I don't have much chances with my current capabilities.


But if I don't fight for it, then I'll definitely miss it.


You: I wish to fight for this mission, because I believe I might be the most suitable candidate.


Mya was a little weirded out, and gestured me to stand up.


Mya: Tell me your reason.


You: I used to participate in singing competitions at school. Back then, my partner and I practiced for a long time, and designed the stage and costume delicately, and we were prepared to win the first place on our first take. 



You: But I was ditched right on the day before the competition, so I had to prepare everything all over again. I redesigned a new costume and the stage decoration overnight. The feelings throughout this period is still unforgettable until this date, the feelings of pride, defeat, nervousness, and to go all out for victory. The most important thing in design is to achieve a form of emotional resonance with the audience. So I think, I will understand the feelings of the participants.


Mya nodded, then entered my name on the screen. There are a few more others that raised their arms in the meeting room, and everyone took their turns to describe their ascendancy.




[Light Choice: Hesitate]


I'm tempted. It's a chance that is hard to get by, so I have to seize it. But at the same time, I know that I am actually not confident in it. If I fight for it, it's not only courage and the sense of urge that I need to rely on, but more on the sense of responsibility.


I have never participated any designs related to musicals, and the one and only time where I can briefly relate an experience was the time I participated the singing competition in school when I was in the 3rd year of middle school.


I remembered that I've practiced for a long time with my partner, and also carefully designed the stage and outfit, prepared to snag the first place at the first go. But who knew I was ditched right on the day before the competition, and I had to prepare everything from the start all over again.


Although I've only used a whole night to design my new competition outfit and stage decoration individually, but that was just an insignificant student's competition. A challenge from Guang Qi TV Broadcasting Station, can I really do this?


Just when I was hesitating, Jiang Lai has already stood up.


Jiang Lai: I wanted this mission, I believe I can complete it well with my capabilities. I have earned a lot of experience when I was designing for my university's musical troupe.


Mya nodded, and wrote Jiang Lai's name on the screen.


Mya: Anyone else?


I finally mustered enough of courage to raise my hand, and described my ascendancy towards Mya. There are a few more others that took their turns to stand up afterwards.



Mya: Alright. We've decided to assign Y/N, Jiang Lai and Gao Cheng to be in charge of this mission. Finally, I hope the designers chosen to remember, you are now representing the Warson Group. Each and every behavior of yours shall not damage the company's reputation. The meeting's dismissed.


I'll have to meet with the person in charge at the TV Broadcasting Station in three days, the time is really tight, and the three of us stayed after the meeting ended to discuss on the overall proposal.



Gao Cheng: We- We'll be working together after this, I'll try my best, please take good care of me.


Gao Cheng seemed to have never expected himself to be selected, and his face is still looking completely shocked.



Jiang Lai: I'll make this clear first, I'm not against any of you, but I refuse to collaborate. I wish that we can each prepare our proposal so the organizer can choose from it.


Gao Cheng and You: ?


Although I'm already used to Jiang Lai's terrible temper, but I am also clear that she isn't someone unfair when it comes to designing.


You: Why?


Jiang Lai: No why, I just don't want to.


You: We are partners, so I have the rights to know the reason. It will be difficult for us to cooperate if you're acting like this.


Jiang Lai took a deep breath, looking a little displeased, and drooped her eyelids in an unusual demeanor.



Jiang Lai: I just don't like it because I don't like it, what more other reasons can I have? I was  sabotaged before, does that count now?


Gao Cheng, who's standing on the side dare not to even let out of a sigh, only to look at me as if he's asking for help. I can't help but to let out an internal sigh.


You: Gao Cheng, do you agree with it?


Gao Cheng nodded vigorously, and even carefully raised his hand to show double of his agreement. Seeing so, Jiang Lai showed Gao Cheng a very friendly smile, that Gao Cheng was so scared he took a few steps backwards.



You: ...... Well then, we'll each prepare our proposals on our own, and let's meet at the broadcasting station three days later.




Very quickly, I received the theme of the "Song of Strength" finals-- Sonata of Life.


The TV programmed requested us to not only design costumes based on the theme and the participants' individual temperaments, but it is also further required for it to complement the stage aesthetics and the overall presentation.


In order to recall the feelings when I was participating the singing competition back then, I prepared to take a trip to granny's tailor shop after working hours.



Just when I arrived downstairs of my office, a familiar voice sounded behind me.


??: Miss Y/N!


You: Wen Wan? Is there a reason you're looking for me?



Wen Wan: Big Bro Xiao asked me to bring something for you.


He took out a square box from his bag and handed it to me. When I opened it, a brooch is laying inside, and it's the exact same as the one I've lost.


I carefully pinned the brooch to my chest, and put the box into my bag.


You: Thank you, but why isn't he coming in person?


Wen Wan: Big Brother Xiao has something that he's investigating, and it's really impossible for him to make time for it.


You: Investigating? Is he alright?



Wen Wan: He's fine he's fine, you don't have to worry.


Wen Wan nodded, and glanced around his surroundings, then lowed his voice.


Wen Wan: Big Bro Xiao wants you to watch your own safety, and call him anytime if anything happens.


The sudden reminder that came out of nowhere made me a little confused, but I still nodded.


Wen Wan: I've brought the item and message to you, so I'll be leaving first. See you again.


Wen Wan smiled in a silly way, waved his hand, then turned around and left.



I lowered my head to look at the brooch on my chest, the laurel wreath shines slightly under the sunset, with a faint blue flowing under the leaves. It's kind of blue that is very soothing, between the pure blue skies and the deep lakes, making me to subconsciously recall the scorching yet gentle flames.



You: Osborn seems to be very busy, so I should work harder too.






Chapter 8-03 can be read here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.