Light and Night Main Story Chapter 8-05: Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏) | 光与夜之恋 主线剧情第八章(英译)

10/12/2021 08:40:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Light and Night's Chapter 8-03... (read here)


Jiang Lai: I'll make this clear first, I'm not against any of you, but I refuse to collaborate. I wish that we can each prepare our proposal so the organizer can choose from it.

.

.

You: ...... Well then, we'll each prepare our proposals on our own, and let's meet at the broadcasting station three days later.

.

.

In order to recall the feelings when I was participating the singing competition back then, I prepared to take a trip to granny's tailor shop after working hours.



I've arrived the tailor's shop. Although it isn't nighttime yet, but the lights at the edge of the city has already started lighting up, with autumn breezes bringing some coldness. After sending Granny Zheng some of her favorite tidbits, I returned home, and started to look for my old belongings.


Back in those years, in order to escape from granny's search, I've secretly hid all of the items unrelated to studies at the attic. Yet after I've dug out all of the old trinkets, I still couldn't find items related to that competition.



You: Where did I hide it-- Right, the biscuit box! I saw the photo album back then too!


I took out the familiar steel-skinned big guy, and the moment I saw the "Do not open, if you open it you're a puppy" memo, I feel a little dumbfounded.


You: I should've teared it away last time if I knew it earlier, this is already my second time becoming a puppy!


I decided to pour everything out from the box, and with a clanging sound, a never-before-seen light green cube is quietly laying on the posters that have already changed their colors.



You: This is-- MP3?


I picked it up and pressed it a couple of times, but the power isn't lighting up. I wonder if it's because it ran out of battery because it wasn't used for a long time, or if it's broken.


You: Is this mine? Why don't I remember this?


It should've been something old, but the entire device still looks pretty new, and the earphone cables are wrapping by a sticky note on each side.


It's my name on one side, and the other side writes a name that has been crossed off and rewritten twice with a crooked writing-- Tang Yuan.



You: Tang Yuan...



??: Y/N, don't always call me Tang Yuan at school, I needed some respect too alright!


It feels like a door in the depths of my memories has been lightly pushed opened, the youth's familiar smile passed through the forgotten ages, and pounced towards me from somewhere afar.


That was the longest, and hottest summer in my memories.



The afterschool sunset pours on the wooden classroom tables, leaving rays of boiling shadows. The cicadas continuously sounded, and I'm the only one left in this empty classroom.



Jesse: Y/N! Quick, cover me!


I turned my head around as I cleaned the blackboard, only to find an orange head popping out from the classroom door.


The youth sneakily peeked around the surroundings, and quickly hid under the podium after confirming that there's nobody else here.


Middle-school you: What kind of trouble did you get into this time?


I placed down the blackboard eraser, and lightly closed the door.


Jesse: I ate instant noodles during class, and was caught by Madam Kill-All*. She's now searching for me everywhere, shh.


*T/N: Madam Kill-All (灭绝师太, Mièjué Shītài) is a character from The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber by Jin Yong (Louis Cha). "Miejue" literally means "destroy and eliminate", and she's the radically dogmatic leader of Emei. Her dogmatic and extreme views lead her to commit various ethically and morally vicious deeds. For Jesse to describe a teacher as Miejue Shitai, the teacher must've been really strict.



Middle-school you: Isn't this something normal to you? You don't have to go to the extents to hide in a third-year's classroom.


Jesse: I'm also taking the opportunity to send something to  you, here.


He winked at me mysteriously, and handed a CD to me.


Middle-school you: My idol's new album?! Even the record shops ran out of stock, how did you buy it?


My mouth immediately turned into an O shape., holding onto the album and am not willing enough to tear it open. The youth can't hold back from smiling upon seeing so, and smiled triumphantly, with his white teeth shining under the sunlight.


Jesse: Who do you think I am? It's just a CD, it's a piece of cake. How's that, ain't I great?


Middle-school you: You're the best today!


Jesse: I'm the best everyday alright! I don't even know why you'd like him, his singing isn't even as good as mine.


Middle-school you: Don't you dare to talk bad about my idol!


Jesse: Alright alright alright, young miss, lower your voice and don't attract people here. Oh right, I can't practice singing with you later, I- I have something important today.


Middle-school you: There's only a few days left until the competition and you dare to ditch me? What could be more important than this?


Jesse: I said it's important, then of course it's a secret.


Middle-school you: I don't believe it, I saw it with my own eyes, you've been heading to your uncle's milk tea shop after school every day, *voice muffled*--


I'm only halfway done with complaining, and Jesse has already panickily covered my mouth. He looked at me with puppy eyes, pleading for me to keep it a secret.


Jesse: Don't tell my mom about me watching over the shop...


Middle-school you: I knew it, you must've been earning money to buy new trading cards!



Jesse: Uh, you can consider it as such--


He lifted his palm away, as if he has let out a sigh in relief.


Jesse: Aiya I'm so hungry I could die, anything I can eat here?


He agilely snagged my bag before I can even hide it, and skillfully took out a few bags of matcha biscuit sticks, biting off the packaging with his teeth, and half of it has disappeared within a couple of bites.


Middle-school you: Tang Yuan, are you reincarnation of a hungry ghost?


Jesse: *choking cough*-- Don't call me with that name at school!


The youth choked until his cheeks are completely red, and glared at me angrily.


Jesse: I'm about to watch the shop so I didn't make it to dinner, biscuits will make up for it.


Middle-school you: Ditching me for a moment, then eating my snacks in another, don't you dare to knock on my window just to make me cook instant noodles for you if you're hungry by the time you're home.


Jesse: I brought you milk tea every time!


Middle-school you: I don't care, starting from tomorrow you will have to practice singing with me after school.


Jesse: Everyday? Can we negotiate about this please?


He drooped his brows and started yelling, as if practicing singing with me will delay his great plans of earning money.


Jesse: How about Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday? Pretty please, young lady?


I turned my head over, putting on an unnegotiable look.


Jesse: Why do you want to get the first place so much?


Middle-school you: The first prize is the latest MP3, mine has been broken for a month.


The youth frowned, letting out a sigh, then stuffed the biscuit into my mouth.


Jesse: Since you looked like you really wanted it, I'll help you then!


He glanced at me as if he thought of something, then let out a couple of cheeky laughter.


Middle-school you: What are you laughing about?



Jesse: Actually I have already thought of a perfect strategy, guaranteed that you'll be able to get the first prize. But I can't tell you for the time being, you'll know after the competition ends!


Middle-school you: Acting so mysterious, how can you guarantee that?


Jesse: Well I can! Go ahead and compete without worries, it's fine no matter how badly you did, you still have me.


Middle-school you: You're the one singing badly! Stinky Tang Yuan!


I still remembered, he designed a beautiful stage, and it'll snow in pink at the end of the performance.


He patted his chest to guarantee that it will definitely stun everyone. I too, deeply believe in it. Since childhood, he has showed me numerous magic tricks, and each and one of them are amazing.


But it's also this shameless fella that made me to have my first taste of being ditched. I stood on the stage all by myself, insisted to complete the competition, but I cried so much at the backstage.


Of course, the MP3 wasn't mine either, besides a pitiful participation certificate, I received nothing else.


I didn't even bother about him for three straight days.



I thought he'd appear at my door like usual, begging and shamelessly asking for my forgiveness, but I've only waited for a moving truck parking downstairs.



Middle-school you: Granny, is Tang Yuan's family really moving away?


Granny did not say a thing, only patted my head.


Middle-school you: Then did he ask you to pass any messages to me?


Granny shook her head lightly.


The fear of parting made me ignorant of the childish pride. I sprinted all my way downstairs, only to see the black truck accelerated and whizzed down the road.


Within the few minutes of me quietly standing there, my mind suddenly cleared up and realized that Tang Yuan has really left me without a sound. This time, no matter if I've forgiven him or not, the cheerful smile will never appear before me ever again.


I cried as I rushed into the room, shoving everything related to him into the biscuit box in banging sounds, and brutally stick the note of "Do Not Open" on it.


I didn't saw the regrets on granny's face as she stood behind me. 


What was I thinking back then? I was probably thinking, I don't ever want to see you again, stinky Tang Yuan, I will never want to see you for the rest of my life.


Some words always turn into reality after it's being said. Ever since then there was nothing that I could hear about him, as if he has vanished completely. Our friendship has ended so abruptly during that summer.


I gently caressed the earphone wire, eyes slightly teared up.


You: It has already been so long, although I still don't know why you have left all of a sudden...


I wiped my tears away, and I was prepared to look at other things, but suddenly, I seem to find something hidden after having a glance at the box cover. There's a pink-colored card sticking on it.


You: Is this--


I carefully teared it open, and as the card opens, I can't help but to widen my eyes.


A three-dimensional paper forest slowly stood up, with its lush greenery, and cuckoo birds that can be vaguely seen among the woods.


On the next page, a fiery red maple leave came into my view, the whole forest turned into a sea of fire, with a squirrel napping in the woods.


Then it's the dazzling, silvery winter, pink-colored snowflakes embellished with sunlight staying still in the air. The lively spring, with floras in full bloom, daisies spreading all over the mountains...


A mini me stands within each season, smiling so ever brightly. And right beside me, there's a boy smiling as he handed me ice cream and orange-flavored soda.



You: This is--


A premonition suddenly gushed up from my heart. I reached out my hand, and touched the boy's palm.


A melodious sound of piano slowly flowed out. The cuckoo bird sings gently, echoing across the layers of forest, pink snows fluttering, with seas of flowers swaying. A young and familiar voice could be heard from the tiny chip of the card.



Jesse: Y/N, I'm sorry, don't be angry anymore, please? 


You: This is Tang Yuan's voice... did he left the card?


I nervously looked at the card in my hands, and I'm full of thoughts.


You: When did it get placed here, why didn't you tell me?


I don't know, and I no longer have the chance to get my answer. I thought his disappearance without saying goodbye is the end of our story, but I didn't expect an Easter egg to be buried in time.


Perhaps, this is our true ending. Looking at the card, I suddenly remembered the theme of the finals for "Song of Strength"-- Sonata of Life.


Life is a process of diving into deep pains, then struggling to escape and getting reincarnated into a new life, then once again falling into a form of new pain. Just like the changes of four seasons, it's inevitable, repetitive, and eternally endless.


However, no matter how cold the winters are, spring always follow right after. This is the greatest gift from time to us.


The "sorry" still echoed again and again, I brushed my hand across the card that have passed through such a long time, and immediately felt more cheerful.


I suddenly felt thankful for this journey of memories, I think I have my inspiration to complete this mission now.


When I left, I took the MP3 along with me. Unsure why, but I feel that there will be a day where I can see it lighting up again.



Location: Lu's Mansion


A light rain drizzled at late night, and within the pitch black building in the forests, there's only a single window lit up.


The handphone placed on the desk vibrated. Evan placed down the documents in his hand, and looked at the bunch of numbers on the screen.



Evan: Zhou Yan, you head out first.


After patiently waiting for the phone to vibrate for over ten times, Evan finally pressed the answer button. 



Evan: Looks like you aren't dead yet.


A more intense sound of winds and rains could be heard from the other end of the phone.



Osborn: Are you very disappointed?


Evan: There will always be unexpected happenings.


Osborn: I have something that you'd find it even more unexpected, interested to hear about it?


Evan: Condition.



Osborn: Ensure Y/N's safety.


Evan paused, and frowned slightly.


Evan: That goes without saying.


Osborn: Really? Why did I heard that you--



Evan: It was only a mistake.


Osborn: Then I wish for you to make less mistakes. I'll let someone to send you the intel you wanted, hanging up.


The clock on the wall jumps to midnight, after deleting the call record, Evan's gazed out towards the night skies outside the window.



Chapter 8-07 is now updated here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.