Light and Night Main Story Chapter 8-07: Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏) | 光与夜之恋 主线剧情第八章(英译)

10/13/2021 06:01:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


 Previously on Light and Night's Chapter 8-05... (read here)


Evan: Looks like you aren't dead yet.


Osborn: Are you very disappointed?


Evan: There will always be unexpected happenings.




Three days later, I brought the completed proposal, and arrived Guang Qi TV Broadcasting Station.  Jiang Lai and Gao Cheng has already arrived. Before I can even greet them, I have received Mao Ge's call.



Mao Ge: Y/N! Are you guys going to the broadcasting station today? Have you started work?


You: Yeah, we just arrived, we haven't entered yet.


Mao Ge: That's good that's good! I have something important to tell all of you. You can turn on the speaker.


His tone sounded unusually stern compared to the past. Although I'm confused, but I still did it as instructed.



Jiang Lai: Anything again? Don't delay our work.



Mao Ge: It's not gossip this time, it's about your rivaling company.


Jiang Lai: What's with the company? They won't be able to win us anyway.


Mao Ge: Although they are indeed not as good as Warson, but I heard that the designer they sent out this time is Wu You. Y/N do you still remember Wu Yue? Wu You is her little sister, her designing capabilities is about the same as hers.



You: Wu Yue's little sister?!


Mao Ge: Yeah, I've dealt with her two years ago, this person's capabilities shouldn't be underestimated, and she has extremely strong desires to win.


Mao Ge acted completely different from his usual demeanor, and he's actually stuttering.


Jiang Lai: Just spill it out already.


Mao Ge: Although it isn't good for me to say this, but she has her own way of dealing with people and things, and she also has a strong personality.


Jiang Lai: I thought what else it'd be, if her personality is strong, then I can show her something even stronger.


Mao Ge: This is exactly what I'm worrying about! You got to keep your temper down, don't let her to catch you and make a drama out of it.


Jiang Lai: I know I know, you nag even more than my mom does. Enough talk, we're going to be late.


Jiang Lai ended the phone call, wrinkling her nose without feeling bothered. Gao Cheng, who's standing by the side held onto the folder in his arms tightly, looking at her worriedly.



Gao Cheng: I think what he says makes sense...


You: Jiang Lai, do you remember what Mya said? We are now a team, representing Warson, so we have to watch our behavior.


Jiang Lai frowned a little, only to turn her head over a little, and nodded unwillingly.


Jiang Lai: I know. Even if I find your designs very ordinary later on, I will only keep it to myself, and I won't say it.


You: ...... Then let's go in.


I massaged my aching temples, and I started to feel a little uneasy. It's my first time having an individual field work, so there are many situations that I can't estimate, let's see how it goes and move with the flow.



When we've arrived the backstage, the director is already waiting for us.


That is a woman that looks very competent, with a casual ponytail tied behind her head, dressed fully in black, looking neat and generous.


You: Hello director, we are designers from Warson, pleased to work with your team.



Director: Hello, you can just call me Cheng Ke, let's chat in the meeting room?



On our way there, the director has gave us a brief introduction towards the current program's situation. As soon as the meeting room's door is opened, there are already a few people sitting by the long table.


A girl in white suit immediately smiled as she stood up as soon as she saw us, and solicitously pulled the chairman's seat.


Cheng Ke: I'm sorry, thank you for the long wait.



??: Not at all, we're only here for a short while, it's worthwhile to wait for such an important collaborative project. Right, Sis Cheng Ke, the producer left earlier to attend to some errands, he asked me to inform you to decide on the collaboration.


Cheng Ke: Are you acquainted with the producer?


??: Not really, I only know him just now, but I found out that we click well after a short chat.


The director smiled, not saying a word, only to gesture us to take our seat.


??: Hello, I am Wu You. I believe the three of you are designers from Warson. As expected from a big company, even manage to pinch the arriving time for business talks so well, not a single minute off.


Jiang Lai: We aren't even late--


I quickly tugged Jiang Lai's sleeve, and threw a glance at her.


You: We're sorry for making everyone wait. Since it's an important collaboration, let's quickly begin discussions.


Wu You: Sis Cheng Ke, to be honest, we actually brought one proposal each, thinking that you will have more options in hand. Then I'll kick start this. 


As described by Mao Ge, Wu You is a very talented designer, her proposal is detailed to the finest, exudes maturity, and added onto her lively body movements in demonstration, it sounded very persuasive.


But unsure why, I am incapable of connecting her with the quiet, fully determined-looking Wu Yue during the competition. She is like the complete opposite of Wu Yue, warm and cheerful, smooth and slick all round.


After they have completed their presentation, the director turned around to look at us.



Cheng Ke: I heard that each of you have also brought a proposal as well?


You: That's right. Because the three of us are proficient in different styles, so we have prepared a proposal each.


Goa Cheng and Jiang Lai presented their creativity in order, receiving nods and smiles throughout the process. Jiang Lai seemed to have been motivated, so she subconsciously raised her tone, and even scoffed lightly towards Wu Yue at the end.


You: The next one would be my proposal.


I handed the folder to her.


You: My proposal may be different from traditional competition stages. I have set the main theme as "Book of Life", where each page will be a season, representing the wonderous ups and downs of life. It also recaps the participant's growth throughout the past three months. 



You: Turning the stage into a book, using the method of page-flipping to replace announcements, shifting the scenes, and link every song together. The proposal also uses renewable materials that are closer to nature primitive texture to produce the costumes. This design not only would allow to stay closer to the current trend of recycling, but it also conveys the youths' striving for simplicity.


Cheng Ke: Very well, I have a basic understanding to everyone's design. Y/N, your design have showed the stage performance to the greatest extents, I believe it will allow the audience to enjoy an extraordinary audiovisual experience. However, it will definitely shred off the sense of competition, there are no competitions that tried such a method, so it is hard to judge the future reviews. Wu Yue's proposal is very mature, it is a design that fits the competition show market very well.


My heart sank. Just as she said, the competition show has already formed into a fixed style, with a fixed audience, it doesn't need a risky take, only needing to maintain its original form. This is the most stable way, and it's a surefire way to never go wrong. And a change is the most dangerous thing to them, nobody will be willing to let go of an apple within an arm's reach just to obtain a watermelon afar that is still uncertain if it can be harvested. It's just that--


Cheng Ke: Can I have a look at your design again?


I hurriedly handed my design draft, watching her to flip the pages as she nodded, with a smile that is gradually more obvious over her face.


Cheng Ke: There's still one point that I have to make in advance. Although the production team has a say, but the broadcasting station still has the final say. Yours and Wu You's designs are the ones that matches the needs on our end. Would the two of you mind submitting a more complete design draft by weekend? I will discuss with the producer on the feasibility of your proposals and make a decision, alright?



Wu You: Of course, no problem.


Cheng Ke: In order to guarantee fairness, I will select a few participants to be your muse. I'll send their details to you later. Also, there's a tiny request, I hope you can use the materials and accessories by our sponsors for our guests costume, they are all in the props room.


You: Okay, understood. Then we will be receiving materials from the props room, see you on Sunday, director.


Until the girl's figure disappeared at the corner, an orange head immediately popped by the meeting room entrance. The youth's eyes looked around the meeting room, after ensuring that there aren't anyone else here, he let out a grin.



??: Sis Cheng Ke, are you free now? I need a tiny favor from you--


Cheng Ke: Jesse? When did you come back? Why didn't you tell the program team?


Cheng Ke welcomed him with all smiles.



Jesse: I just arrived this morning, I'm still having jet lags.


Cheng Ke: Then hurry up and go back to sleep, why are you coming to the site? You said you wanted to help?


The youth rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment, smiling as he nodded.



10 minutes later, we arrived two sets of information of the participants. One of them is Lin ZiFeng, a popular candidate to win the first place, and one more--



You: Jesse? Why don't I call this name among the participants?



Staff: He isn't a participant, he's a performer that we spent great efforts to invite over, so his costume is the most important among all.


I opened the folder from the staff, and the number on his age shocked me greatly.


You: 21 years old! He's already a famous opera actor in Europe at this age! He's even receiving awards as the best male actor from Tony Award and Drama Desk Award!


Staff: That's right, we requested for so long for him to agree with it. We were originally rejected by his company, saying that he has no plans to enter the Asian markets for the time being. Even Sis Cheng Ke almost gave up, who knows their team suddenly agreed a few days ago. This is his first show in Asia, so please make his costume well!


You: We will certainly do our best.


The height and body measurements are all written in the details column, even labeling zodiacs and blood type, their favorite food and animals, it's so detailed like a student record. 


Staff: Jesse is very low profiled, besides his works, there aren't much personal information you can find online, this is purposely provided to you.


You: That's great, then I wouldn't need to search for it anymore. Is he Asian?


Staff: Yes, but I've heard that he has moved to Europe since he was very young, so there's no Chinese name.


I quickly circled some information that could probably aid in my design. Seeing my movements, Jiang Lai looked a little weirded out. 



Jiang Lai: Did you really design the proposal just now?


You: ...? Of course.


After receiving an affirmative reply, Jiang Lai's expressions turned even more melancholy, the way she looked at me is as if she's now looking at a stranger.


Jiang Lai: You can't be possibly meet the director's likings by coincidence, right?



Gao Cheng: About that, can I have a word? Y/N and I came here together from the competition, she's really impressive, this is her true capabilities...


Gao Cheng carefully observes Jiang Lai's expressions from the corner of his eyes, looking so worried that he'd anger her. Yet she only drooped her eyelids, and bit her lips. After a short silence, she raised her gaze to look at me again.


Jiang Lai: Are you confident to win the collaboration?


You: Of course.


Jiang Lai: Then do it seriously, and don't let the bootlicker to win. I despise opportunistic people the most.


She clenched her fist, and returned to her usual angry demeanor.


Unsure if it was my misperception, I suddenly realized that the alertness and hostility of hers are like a layer of transparent chiffon curtain, and it has already unknowingly disappeared into the winds.


Standing by the side, Gao Cheng let out a light smile.


Seeing Jiang Lai Like this, I decided to--


[Choice]



Light: Invite her to work together

Night: Don't let her worry, you will work hard yourself




[Light Choice: Invite her to work together]


You: Do you want to cooperate in this? Since it's our common mission after all.


Jiang Lai looked troubled, clenching her teeth as she shook her head.


Jiang Lai: I can't, I've sworn to never cooperate before.


You: Well then, then I'll split the work with Gao Cheng.


Jiang Lai: About that--


You: ?


Jiang Lai: If there's anything that you need my help, it's not like I can't help you either.


You: Yeah!



[Night: Don't let her worry, you will work hard yourself]


You: Don't worry, I'll work hard. Since if I lose I'll be embarrassing Warson after all.


Jiang Lai: Good that you know. About that-- Although I refuse to cooperate, but if there's anything that you need my assistance, it's not like I can't help you either.


You: Yeah!



After completing the task distribution, I walked straight towards the broadcasting station's props room. I made adjustments to my proposal as I select suitable materials to further perfect the draft.


The afternoon sunlight casually pours through the glass windows, making one to have a misperception as if it's still summer. It seems like there's a silhouette flashing by the empty hallways.


You: Who is it?


I turned around in alert, but I didn't manage to see anybody.


Bang Bang--! The rack beside me suddenly swayed lightly, I quickly reached an arm to stabilize it. After examining it from top to bottom, I noticed that it's actually the screws that went loose.


You: It'd be bad if it hits someone.


I squatted down, and screwed the culprit bulging out from the racks tightly.


I was too focused on the task in hand to notice the inaudible sounds above me, and an unforeseen event has happened right then.


Because of the shaking, the tripods that were originally placed on the top of the rack has rolled till the end, and the plastic rope that were used to tying it suddenly snapped, the tripods fell down one after another!


The sudden sound scared me, and just when I wanted to escape, my limbs suddenly numbed disobediently, and my vision became blurry for once again.


You: So dizzy--


I knelt onto the grounds, with only one question in mind: would it hurt if I'm hit by plastic rods?


But, seconds have passed... It's still quiet everywhere, I didn't feel any forms of pain from collision.


You: ?


I raised my head, only to notice a youth stood right beside me. Tall and skinny, with both hands holding onto a few plastic rods.


I'm still a little dizzy, and I can't see his face clearly, only to see a pair of clear, light green-colored eyes fixing its gaze at me.


It feels weirdly familiar.



You: You are--


Hearing me, the youth stunned, and suddenly let go of the tightly clenched hands. The plastic rods all fell onto the grounds in clanging sounds, scaring the birds on the branches outside the windows. Yet he's just like a statue, standing still right on the ground.


What a weird boy...


You: Thank you, are you hurt?


He didn't answer.


You: Are you hurt?


He still didn't answer.


You: Hello, are you hurt anywhere?


I finally raised my voice, then saw that 'statue' to slowly come back to live, and sprinted towards the door as if he's in a 100m race.


You: Wait up!


Hearing that from me, the youth ran even faster.


Perhaps it was out of curiosity, or perhaps it was caused by instincts, or perhaps it's some reasons that I can't explain well, by the time I've returned to my senses, I've already rushed to the entrance and blocked him.


The youth immediately stopped, and turned around to face me with his back. 


You: Huh? Why are you turning around?


I curiously poked my head closer, but only to see him immediately covering his own face.



Youth: I'm not used to others looking at me...


Why is his voice also a little familiar? 


You: Excuse me, have we met anywhere before?


Just when I said that, I suddenly felt like I'm saying some corny pickup lines like the womanizers from TV dramas.


Youth: No no, we definitely have never! Don't come close for now!


You: Okay. But I still wanted to thank you for what happened earlier.


Youth: Can you turn around?


You: Eh?


I am confused, but remembering that he said he's not used to being looked at, I still followed suit. 


Youth: Alright, you can turn around now.


You: Pfft...



What am I looking at? An exaggerating strawberry headgear is now on the youth's neck, seemingly silly and ridiculous.


You: Why are you wearing--


Before I can even ask anything, the youth has already grabbed my hand, and examined them closely.


Youth: Did they hit you? I accidentally let go of my hand just now, did it scare you?


He doesn't seem to care how ridiculous he looks for even a single bit, the first one that he cared about was actually me.


I don't know how to answer him, only to point at his headgear.


The youth stunned for a couple of seconds, then burst out in laughter.


The pink strawberry head looks casual under the sunlight, how adorable. Even my mood is now uplifted.


You: I'm fine. Thank you so much for what happened earlier, I'll buy you a drink!



Chapter 8-09 can be read here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.