Light and Night Main Story Chapter 8-09: Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏) | 光与夜之恋 主线剧情第八章(英译)

10/15/2021 04:58:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

 Previously on Light and Night's Chapter 8-07... (read here)


He doesn't seem to care how ridiculous he looks for even a single bit, the first one that he cared about was actually me.


I don't know how to answer him, only to point at his headgear.


The youth stunned for a couple of seconds, then burst out in laughter.


The pink strawberry head looks casual under the sunlight, how adorable. Even my mood is now uplifted.


You: I'm fine. Thank you so much for what happened earlier, I'll buy you a drink!






You: What do you want to drink?


Youth: I'll go with this one.


He pointed at the orange-flavored soda in the vending machine, that is a very old local brand, children of Guang Qi city would drink it since childhood.


You: Then I'll get this one too, I haven't been drinking it for ages.


I took out my purse, but he insisted to pay instead.


You: I said it's on me.


Youth: I had coins with me, and I was frustrated on where I should use them. Here.


He shoved the soda into my hand. The outsides of the cold drink has already formed a layer of water beads, bringing some coolness as it rolls onto my skin.


You: Then thank you for the treat, the next round will be mine.


We sat down in the lounge. It's actually my first time sitting with someone wearing a strawberry headgear, so I can't help but to glance at him for a few more times to examine him.


You: Are you a staff in the broadcasting station? I'm Warson's designer Y/N, how should I address you?


The strawberry-head youth stunned for a moment, and started pondering seriously.



Youth: You can call me--


You: Tang Yuan?


I don't even know why I'd say this name out of nowhere, perhaps it's because this youth has brought too much of nostalgia to me.


Youth: Do you still remember him?


I didn't expect the youth to suddenly turn over, sounding surprised, and even the glass bottle almost slipped out from his hand.


You: Why is that? Do you know him too? He's my childhood friend.


Youth: N- No, I just simply asked.


He shyly sat upright, scratching his head, but noticed that it's a large strawberry on his head, then placed his hand down again.


Youth: Don't overthink it, I don't know the Tang Yuan you mentioned.


You: I wasn't overthinking.


Why is this boy acting so weird?


Youth: I am a staff of the broadcast station.


You: No wonder. Then you must've known Jesse, right? I heard that he's the guest for the finals this time, I wonder if he's an easygoing person. An internationally famous opera actor, a genius boy, there must've been many excellent fashion designs that he has seen. I wonder if he'd like mine.


Youth: He definitely will! And he will definitely like your designs very very much! I guarantee that.


You: How can you guarantee that? Do you know him in person?


The youth nervously turned his head around, and let out a dry laughter.


Youth: I- I talked to him a few times, he's still someone that is easy to get along with. So you don't have to worry, and you don't have to overthink it, he will definitely be very cooperative. 


He more he speaks, the more demure he sounded, yet his tone is full of sincerity and affirmation.



You: Yeah, then I hope your kind words will come true, hopefully everything will go well!


The orange-flavored soda is bubbling in my hand, I took a sip, it's so sweet, it's the taste of childhood.


You: You've been wearing this headgear, isn't it stuffy?


Youth: Not stuffy, not at all.


You: If you're feeling stuffy, you can take it off, I promise I will not look at your face.


Youth: That can't do, I still can't take it off now.


You: Why?


You: Uh... Be-because I... Because there's a very long scar on my face, it's exceptionally ugly, and it has scared many people before. I didn't put on concealer right now, and I don't want to scare you.


As he speaks, he nodded aggressively, as if he's verifying his own saying.


You: So that's how it is, I'm sorry for offending you earlier.


Youth: What did you mean by offend? Weren't you worrying that I'd feel stuffy?


He pointed at the headgear above his neck, and he sounded like he's in great mood, so I can't help but to start smiling too.


You: Yeah, I'm worrying about you! But I also think that it's alright even if you have a scar. Wasn't there this saying, where scars are the badges of a man?


The youth can't help but to let out a laughter, and shook his head bashfully.


You: I think, as long as it's those who understand you, they will not be mindful of this scar. Let those who don't understand to stay ignorant, there's no need to be mindful about them.


When I said this, the youth has been quietly looking at me.


You: What's wrong?


He shook his head, only to take a deep breath, and stayed quiet. He looked forward into the distant for a very long time, as if he's went back into time to recall some past happenings.


By the time he spoke again, his voice became a little hoarse.



You: What if it's something that you can't explain? Then will those who understand still be willing to understand?


His almost undetectable dejection suddenly reminded me of that rainy day many years ago.


You: I don't know too... Perhaps understanding was just a form of wonderful wish, the greater the anticipation, the greater the disappointment will be. If we can find someone that we can understand them unconditionally, that is probably something fortunate.


Youth: Someone who I was willing to understand unconditionally... I had one in the past. Someone that was very, very important to me. But I've lost her.


You: Huh?


Youth: Because I did something that made her sad, and I didn't explain it to her. She will probably hate me for her entire life.


The youth paused, and his fingers that have been clenching tightly onto the glass bottle is turning slightly pale.


Youth: I promised to stay by her side forever, but I had no choice but to leave. I wanted say goodbye to her properly, but she wasn't even willing to listen to my voice.


You: ......


Youth: I know she was just sulky, she has been sulky whenever she's mad. Then whenever the issue has passed, she'll regret those actions. I should've just acted like how I've always been in the past, pestering her and apologize to her many, many times, until she forgives me. But back then, I actually lost courage. I was thinking, since I'm no longer able to accompany her, perhaps it'd be better if I don't explain.


His voice sounded calm, and is even sounding a little relaxed. But it seems like I can feel that he has spent great strengths when he spoke to suppress his sadness.



You: What happens after that?


Youth: We've never met ever since.


You: Have you regretted it before?


The youth did not say a thing, only the breezes answered in his place.


Youth: I'm sorry, I suddenly spoke so much on my own.


You: It's fine.


I shook my head, but another face abruptly appeared in my mind.


The youth that guaranteed me that I will be able to win the competition while grinning as he patted his chest; The youth that would knock onto my window during midnight and hand me a cup of hot milk tea from his arms; The youth that has been accompanying me throughout my growth, but suddenly vanished without a trace in a blink of an eye.


Where is he now? Is he doing well? Did he find new friends?


I have never felt such an urge to ask him these questions until now. Why did he leave without saying goodbye? After all these years, did he forget me?



You: You might not believe it when I say this, but you sounded very much like an old friend of mine.


Youth: Old friend?


You: Yeah, it's the Tang Yuan I mentioned just now, what the two of you experienced are very similar. Actually, the inspiration I had for this design came from him. He's two years younger than me, and he lived next door. We've been to the same primary school and the same middle school. I thought we'll continue to go to the same high school. But one day, he suddenly left. Actually I almost forgot about this, but when I went back to my old home a few days ago, I accidentally saw his card of apology. He must've secretly placed it into the biscuit box before leaving. Besides him, no one else knows I like to hide things into biscuit boxes. He has always liked to tinker with handicrafts, and he even likes magic, I knew the card was of his doing as soon as I see it.


Youth: Then do you... hate him? If he's back, I'm saying if, will you forgive him?


Will I forgive him?


Youth: Will you?


The strawberry-head youth asked again, as if he's very concerned about that Tang Yuan's destiny.


I shook my head, showing a sulking expression.


You: I think he has definitely forgotten me. Otherwise why wouldn't he even give me a single call?


Youth: No no, he didn't forget you, he'd remember more than anyone else!


You: ?


Youth: Really, it's true!


The youth leaped up, and sprouted nonsense in panic.


Youth: He must've been quietly watching over you from somewhere! For example, he'll be very angry if you're bullied, and wanting to hit right back for you; he'll be happy when he see you happy, and he'll be panicking more than anyone else if he sees you sad! But he definitely has his own reason, so he can't see you.


He spoke so confidently and plausibly, as if he's afraid that my wrath will go on. In that moment, I suddenly felt like these are all illusions of reality.


Outside the windows, the winds have shaped the cream-colored clouds into various shapes, like different cotton candies hanging on the clear blue skies.


I suddenly had a nostalgic feeling. It's as if I've returned to the alleys during childhood, living a slow, casual life, and threw all of the troubles somewhere far behind.


It's as if I will never feel bored, nor feeling the time is passing slowly, even if I continue to sit here quietly.



You: Why do you mind so much about what happens between Tang Yuan and I? Was it because you've made a mistake, so you didn't want the same ending to happen fall upon us?


Youth: *long, heavy breathing*


What answers me was only a long, paced sounds of breath.


The strawberry head has already leaned towards the back of the chair. He's sleeping soundly, and there are quiet mutters coming out from his lips.


Youth: I'm sorry...


Looks like he's really in deep regrets, I hope that person can forgive him.


I took out the glass bottle from his hand, and placed it properly on the side.



I planned to continue the interrupted work after returning to the props room.


??: Wu Yue has mentioned about you to me for many times.


A woman's voice sounded from the door, and the prop room's door is pushed open. The sudden winds blew off the drafts in my hands onto the floor.


Wu You stood by the entrance, and her smile is directly provoking.



Wu You: She said you are her greatest opponent in the competition, and she almost lost to you.


You: Your sister is very good as well. But you aren't here to purposely talk about her to me, right?


I raised a brow in confusion, hinting her to make herself clear.


Wu You: She isn't considered my sister, she was only born a few minutes earlier than I do. In terms of talents, I am far more excellent than her. You have indeed impressed me. But this has made me even more confident to win you.


You: So you're here just to taunt me?



Wu You: I'm just here to tell you, you have the same bad habit with that woman, only know how to keep working on designs, and are completely clueless in business. It's hard to find a good match, I just wanted to remind you to not lose too badly.


You: Thank you for your reminder.


Understanding her intents, I do not wish to continue minding about her.


You: But I think rather than wasting your time to remind me, how about you think on how you can use your advantage to welcome the likings of businesses?


I bent down as I was planning to pick up my design draft, and another hand has fell above it.


Wu You: I will definitely work my way well, and you will also be defeated by me, just like how you have lost the competition back then.


She placed her design draft back into my hands, smiling, then turn around and left.


[Location: Lu's Mansion]



It's midnight, and the entire city has fell into deep sleep, only this castle in the northern forests that are still brightly lit.


A few corpses that smells terribly burnt are covered, and are quickly delivered into the that secluded chill room.


The elderly took back his gaze from the dimly colored ring with an imposing expression, standing with his back before the French windows.



Lu Ting: The spiritual power from the Spirit Ring has been depleted by half, is there some explaining that you needed to do?


Arms crossed behind his back, Evan looked indifferent.



Evan: New opportunities arise from any incident. I will investigate this matter as soon as possible. But I think you'd have more of the need to explain to the master on why are the vessels have been self combusting continuously, dear uncle.


Evan politely handed a black envelope, and the letter is slowly opening before the elderly.


Lu Ting immediately glared towards Evan, his gaze is immediately filled with anger and hatred. He faintly realized that the situation is far more complicated than what he has imagined, and is far worse than anticipated.


??: Lu Ting, you have reported to me that everything are going very smoothly.


Lu Ting: Master, currently- currently it seems like those vessels might not be able to sustain until the day we rejuvenate our glory.


??: How long have you been hiding this from me?


With a thud, Lu Ting's knees dropped to the ground.



Lu Ting: Master, although this path may not work, but thanks to Evan, I have found the most useful method. I will proactively receive punishment, and deal with these vessels.



Chapter 8-12 to be updated!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.