[Light and Night Event] LANYU x Light and Night Collaborative Event Story: Episode 04 || LANYU×光与夜之恋限时联动・兰倚线香 :剧情04

10/16/2021 11:44:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Read Episode 03 of the collab story here!


Note: This is a time-limited event from the collaboration of fashion designer Lan Yu. 




Lan Yu's workshop has a room designated specifically for pattern making.


Lan Yu is always immersing herself in the pattern making room, slowly turning the items on her mind and draft papers into a sample with her own hands.


The sample is scaled down and displayed on a rack, the process of creation is basically replicating the entire process of creating the dress.


Through the large stacks of documents beside her, I noticed that during preparation, the designers of the workshop will collect hundreds of data from the customer's figure to ensure the pattern will be fitting comfortably to their customers.


Besides the customized outfit for the customers, we have also tried various new methods in the pattern making room, there are Qipao that are made of paper, bags weaved from rattan and other interesting designs.


Even during our break time, Lan Yu will also tell me her childhood and the reasons of why she have decided to take the path of designing.



Lan Yu: My mother is proficient in Su Xiu, and she is also a pattern making expert. I have been helping my mother in threading, and tried to make cloth patterns for dolls.


Lan Yu: When I was a child, there are so many beautiful dresses in my mind, but when it comes to practical, I realized that I can't turn it into reality. Until today, I still believe that the capability to realize creative ideas are sometimes more important than creativity itself. 


You: It is indeed like this to me. But... I also know someone. He's my colleague, and he's also coming from a family with pattern making background.* He has difficulty with coming up with design ideas, and he's having trouble from being unable to walk out from his comfort zone.


*T/N: This person is Gao Cheng. Haha.


Lan Yu raised her head, and sighed lightly.



Lan Yu: Yeah, there are also designers like this. It isn't easy at all to have the best of both worlds, sometimes I feel that it'd be great if I were a genius myself.


Genius designers, there are those around me too, some silhouette appeared in my mind as well. But that doesn't mean those kind of people didn't work hard either.


Lan Yu and I met our gaze, and we smiled in tacit.


Lan Yu: But, it isn't bad to attain the power of control through experience. That's why I've set a pattern making room in my workshop. Trying to present my ideas with my hands without the help of a tailor. The more I create, perhaps there are also more parts that will provide feedback to my idea too.


I took out a thin needle from the needle bag, cutting off the fabric, hearing the sounds of fabric cutting, my heart is in complete agreement to her statement.



Days passed within a blink of an eye, the fusion wedding dress of Chinese and Western culture have also completed. It's time for the customer to try on her dress.


Lan Yu told me the date on purpose, saying that the completion of this dress is also credited to the idea I gave her, so she insisted that I should come and have a look.


The girl came on her own, waiting at the lounge with both anxiousness and excitement, so I can't help but to feel curious.


You: Aren't your lover coming with you?


Customer: I wanted to only show how I look in the wedding dress on the wedding day itself. This is--



Her words paused. I looked towards where she has gazed, and Lan Yu is slowly pushing the wooden mannequin with the wedding dress out. 


Customer: Wow!


The silk hem is supported, with a thin veil of chiffon on top, a circle of dense yet delicate lace around the waist, with light-colored embroidery that brings out images of bloomed flowers across the chest.



Lan Yu: Hurry and give it a try.



After 20 minutes, the girl stood before the full-length mirror, eyes gleaming in joy, with the hem flowing as she spins.


Customer: It's better and more fitting than I've ever imagined.


She gently caressed the floral patterns across her dress, and measured herself up from top to bottom.


Suddenly, her gaze stopped at the hem.


Customer: Are these... alphabets?


The bottom of the dress has a long, cursive writing embroidered with golden threads.


Customer: Love... Sacrifice... Love and Sacrifice.


She gazed there for a long time, then raising an arm to cover her eyes, her long hair drooped down. I can't see her expressions, only to faintly hear a sob or two.


Customer: Designers, thank you so much. Really, I'm so grateful. This is the wedding dress of my dreams.


Seeing the girl's smile with tears, seeing Lan Yu's hard work has turned fruitful, I feel very happy for them too.


Designers can really be a person to fulfill dreams, turning every wonderful imagination into reality, and it is the same for wedding dress designing.


Only to use materials and workmanship that are the most fitting to the client, that a custom made full of emotions can be completed.



After sending the girl off, it is already very late, and I am planning to go home too.


Just as usual, Lan Yu sent me off to the entrance of her workshop. But just when I was planning to bid farewell, she suddenly called me.


Lan Yu: It's weekend tomorrow, will you be free?


You: Yeah, I am free.



Lan Yu: Then come to my workshop, see you tomorrow.


Lan Yu's expression shows rare signs of mysteriousness, and I agreed to her in confusion.




Feel free to check out other parts of the event here:




Thank you for reading and feel free to check out other translations of Light and Night here!




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.