[Light and Night Event] LANYU x Light and Night Collaborative Event Story: Episode 02 || LANYU×光与夜之恋限时联动・兰倚线香 :剧情02

10/14/2021 09:06:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Read Episode 01 of the collab story here!


Note: This is a time-limited event from the collaboration of fashion designer Lan Yu. 




In a blink of an eye, it has already been two weeks since I started learning about sample making and accessories for wedding dress from Lan Yu. On this day, I arrived the workshop on time as promised.


However, Lan Yu isn't designing outfits like usual, but is instead sitting at the waiting area.


A girl is sitting right in front of her, exuding a calm yet joyful expression.


From my understanding throughout the days I've stayed in this workshop, I suppose she is a customer coming here to customize her wedding dress, who is currently reminiscing her experience in love, and use it to confirm the direction of the wedding dress' design.


With the permission from the customer and Lan Yu, I waited by the sofa on the side, and the girl continued telling her story.



Customer: My husband and I came from different countries, we knew each other from a students exchange program. When we were together, not only we were sweet like couples madly in love, we also noticed that our life ideology clicks well. But sadly, the exchange program was very short, my husband very quickly returned to his home country. Because of our academics and career, we have been in a long distance relationship for a very long time. We can only involve ourselves into each other's lives through phone and video calls.


Speaking until this point, a bitter smile exuded from the customer's lips.


Customer: The person you're closest to, is actually thousands of miles away from you. And because of the difference in time zone, if any emergency happened, the other party was completely unable to provide the care and help at the right time. That period of time was indeed too long. I even started to doubt the feelings that I've had throughout the time when I was studying here, I wonder if it's really worth it to keep waiting and being on the fence.


She sighs as she spoke, as if she has returned to the moment of hesitation, and my heart subconsciously tightened at her description as well.


Customer: However, when I was feeling lost, my husband told me through his actions, that it is worth it for him to put great efforts for this love. He gave up his career overseas, and came to my country. Starting from zero on this piece of land where he has absolutely nothing. I am very worried that he will regret it in the future. 



Customer: But my husband have instead told me-- "There's no love that doesn't require any sacrifice, there are two personalities, so there's always places where you have to match with the other in life. If that's the case, then why can't I make such sacrifices?"


After she finished this sentence, the client lowered her head, and the depressed smile turned into a gentle one.


Throughout the entire process, Lan Yu has been listening intently from the beginning as she write memos down. Along with the customer's description, she expressed her surprise, or her empathetic sighs. 


The story reaches a happy ending, and the girl is prepared to stand up and take her leave. After sending the customer off, Lan Yu stopped the recording pen on the table.


Seeing me showing a slightly confused expression, she explained to me patiently.



Lan Yu: When we are creating a wedding dress, we hope to create a design that fits the customer's personal love story, making it a unique design. The usage of a voice recording tool is to avoid missing out any details in my memo. It also helps us to sort out the customer's needs in more detail. Of course, this is also permitted by the client. My task later is to sort these recordings out.


I subconsciously glanced at the recording pen, and only then I realized that the recorded clip is already as long as five hours. 


This means, sorting itself will be a tremendous task.



At this time, Lan Yu covered up her mouth slightly, and let out a small yawn. Noticing the green around her eyes, I can't help but to feel a little worried.


You: Did you not rest well last night?


Lan Yu took a sip of the coffee on the table, her tone still sounded relaxed as usual.


Lan Yu: Who would've expected the muse of inspiration would pay a visit to me during midnight? I'm afraid that I will forget some details on the second day, so I wanted to immediately record it down. I didn't expect it to be dawn by the time I've completed the finishing touches.


I feel deeply about the reasons for her poor rest.


As a designer, there are many days I had to pull all-nighters. Although burning the midnight oil could push the output of inspiration, but the body will suffer on the next day.


You: You've already worked hard for a whole day, hurry up and get some rest! If you don't mind, I can help you to transcribe the recording.


Lan Yu patted my shoulder, and smiled as she shook her head.


Lan Yu: Thank you for your kindness, but there's no need to trouble you. Although it is cumbersome to sort the recordings, but it is very much necessary for me to do so. Rediscovering the tiny details throughout the process can always bring me some directions. However, in order to complete this task in high efficiency, I should take a short nap indeed.


I watched her taking out her phone and set a 30-minute alarm, then set two more alarms every three minutes after that.


Noticing my gaze of curiosity, Lan Yu smiled bashfully.


Lan Yu: An alarm basically can't wake me up, can I trouble you to--


You: Understood. If they can't wake you up, I will wake you up.


Lan Yu: Mm, thank you.


Very quickly, Lan Yu fell asleep on the sofa.


The workshop is very quiet in the afternoon. I laid on the table, and freehandedly sketching the images of adornments that appeared in my mind.




Feel free to check out other parts of the event here:




Thank you for reading and feel free to check out other translations of Light and Night here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.