Light and Night Main Story Chapter 8-01: Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏) | 光与夜之恋 主线剧情第八章(英译)

10/08/2021 07:09:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


Previously in Ch. 7, MC discovered that Charlie is a doctor while she was having a checkup in the hospital, and Osborn, while laying low and pretending to be dead from the bombing incident, seems to have also made a certain discovery of 'Project Eclipse'...


Before reading this chapter, please consider checking out the Light End and Night End of Ch. 7!


Belated Midsummer (迟来的盛夏)




"Our summer escaped so freely, submerging into the realms of beauty."






You: He is actually a doctor... How could it be? This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard of throughout the entire year. He's even working in Guang Qi city? Is this world so small that there's only one city left?



Mao Ge: Who's a doctor?


You: Charlie. The one that gave a lesson to the rogues at the bar on the other day.



Mao Ge: You're saying that my new idol is a doctor? That's so cool!


You (shocked): New idol???


My thoughts were originally drifted into the outer space, but Mao Ge's shocking statement has pulled me back here.


You: Mao Ge, how can you make such a narcissist as your idol? Sober up a little!


Mao Ge: I'm too sober right now! You don't understand how greatly shocking it was for him to order every single alcohol in the bar!


An An has definitely told him about it! But, looks like she didn't tell anything about the "fiancé" incident, thank goodness, thank goodness. 



Manman: Then our center of focus are not quite the same.


You: Manman, not you too--


Manman skillfully sprinkled a couple of wolfberry seeds into her thermos, then took a light sip from it.


Manman: Things like idols... are nonexistent. But I noticed, his watch is something of Master George Dannet. And it is probably Master's last piece of work before his retirement.


Mao Ge: Didn't he only have made 37 watches throughout his lifetime?!


You: !


It was chaotic on that day, I didn't even notice it! I should've secretly took a picture of it if I knew earlier.



Manman: This isn't anything yet, the more impressive thing is the slightly flamboyant patterned shirt on him. If I didn't see wrongly, the pattern on it is probably weaved with Sea Silk*!


You: Sea Silk?!


That is the rarest silk made grown from pen mollusks! Currently there's only a single family* left that knows how to harvest, dye and embroider it. 


*T/N: Known as byssus, or sea silk, it’s one of the rarest and most coveted materials in the world. Women in Mesopotamia used the exceptionally light fabric to embroider clothes for their kings some 5,000 years ago. It was harvested to make robes for King Solomon, bracelets for Nefertiti, and holy vestments for priests, popes and pharaohs. There is only one last surviving sea silk seamstress known, and she has no intentions to sell sea silk. 



Mao Ge: The silk from the seas, never for sale...



Hao Shuai: Are you guys talking about Sea Silk? Is it the square scarf in the display room on the 36th floor?


Hao Shuai popped over in curiosity.


Mao Ge: No, we're talking about another piece.


Hao Shuai: Where is it where is it?! Is it a new collection in the display room?


Mao Ge: You've already missed it, who asked you to not join us that day.


Hao Shuai: Sigh, what a tough life for a handsome man.


Mao Ge: Step aside, there are much more that are far more handsome than you exists. My new idol not only has great taste and infinitely resourceful, but also imperious! Only with a few casual words, and the rogues have all changed their expressions on the spot.



Manman: Agreed, although I didn't see it very clearly, but I can already self-insert 30k words in my head.


Mao Ge: Say, when will a coward like me ever have such boldness of his, that I can tell those annoying clients: "I'm busy, don't rush me".


Thud thud thud-- A figure with arms crossed, chins up have appeared outside the matte glass door at the right timing.



Hao Shuai: Mao Ge, you can do it, please begin your performance!


As he speaks, Hao Shuai pushes Mao Ge to the entrance.


Mao Ge tidied his hair in a panic, an arm supporting himself against the wall, putting on a "do not disturb" face, and he's actually looking a little like someone you shouldn't get on his nerves. But right on the next second, he is immediately beaten back into his original form.



Jiang Lai: Why aren't anyone opening the door after knocking for so long?


Before the sentence ends, the door is opened. Mao Ge bounced towards the wall like a ball, eyes glistening in golden stars.



Jiang Lai: Huh...? Uh, take this.


Just when Mao Ge climbed up from the floor, a golden little box is shoved in his hand.


Mao Ge: This is--


Jiang Lai: Birthday present.


Mao Ge stunned for a couple of seconds, then pointed at his nose.



Mao Ge: For- For me?



Jiang Lai: You have an opinion on that? Give it back if you don't like it.



Mao Ge: It's mine if you are giving it to me, thank you, hehe.


He wasn't showing a single sign of anger from Jiang Lai's tone, but instead letting out a dazzling smile.


Jiang Lai: Wearing cartoon T-shirt every day, aren't you childish?


Mao Ge: Does it look bad? Oh right, there's an art gallery this week, I have tickets, wanna go?



Jiang Lai: Wh- Who wants to visit a gallery with you, I--


She seemed like she wanted to say something, but after looking around the office, she swallowed her words back. Probably because the few of us are here, so she can only stomp on the floor.


Jiang Lai: ... Don't be late for the meeting later.


After Jiang Lai left, I keenly sensed a sliver of unusual gossip.



You: Manman, do you think--



Manman: I think so I think so!


Hao Shuai: You girls noticed that too right? Mao Ge must have something in Jiang Lai's hand.


Manman and You: Uh..? 



Hao Shuai: You girls didn't know, Jiang Lai is Mao Ge's junior during their university years, the two of them are acquainted since university, and joined Warson one after another. Jiang Lai has been ignoring Mao Ge. There isn't something in her hand, why would Mao Ge still approach her, and even enduring her bad temper?


Ignoring? I don't feel like it's quite the case. If I didn't see it wrongly, there was a flash of suspicious fluster appearing on Jiang Lai's cheeks just now.


Who would've thought that the face carrying the look of disdain on every single day would also have some seriousness and cautiousness? Even the arrogant demeanor of hers doesn't look as irritating anymore.


To realize someone isn't as irritating anymore, it's probably because I've now seen a never-before-seen yet a really refreshing side from her.


Just like the narcissist. Wearing an immaculate white coat, looking completely cool-headed, and that's actually making me to think he's somewhat pleasant-looking.


No wait, why did I suddenly think of him? I immediately shook my head, chasing the name out of my head.



Yet the bane person seems to continuously haunt me. My phone buzzed in vibration, and Charlie's name appeared on my screen. I sighed, and quickly walked to the corridors.


Charlie: Not hearing my voice for a few days, you're now missing me very much right?


Why on earth did I find him pleasant-looking earlier?


You: Charlie, can you act a little more normal?


Charlie: Normal? There's not a single second where I'm abnormal.


You: ......



You: If you're calling to talk nonsense, then I'll be hanging up. 


Charlie: How can it be nonsense, this is the care from Dr. Zha. 


You: ?


Charlie: A reminder for you to come here to collect your checkup report. Tsk, this result--


I suddenly became alert.


You: What happened to the result? Don't you scare me like that, the previous doctor told me it's most probably a cervical illness.


Charlie: Do you think cervical illness is a small issue? These diseases are usually common among middle-aged and old people, you are too young for that. If you aren't taking it seriously, you'll be suffering a lot more in the future.


His sudden serious tone have subconsciously stunned me.


You: You seemed to be a little different from your usual demeanor--


Charlie: Do you like it? Are you now enchanted enough that you wanted to marry me already?


You: ......


In another second he returned to the one I'm familiar with. I can almost feel my mind splitting, so much I almost wanted to ask him if he has a normal brother.


You: You are really weird. It's my first time seeing someone who can obviously talk normally, but deliberately chose not to.


Charlie: You talk as if you really understood me.


You: Of course I don't understand you, but there's such vibes. You're obviously a formal and serious doctor, but acting so cynically, and wanted to show everything off at such a high-profiled manner.


Charlie: I have everything, so obviously it's difficult for me to hide it, might as well as displaying them out generously.


You: Since you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth, why did you choose to become a doctor?


Charlie: Of course it's to give you a surprise when you see me.


He chuckled a little, sounded slightly distorted over the phone. I got a little speechless, and I knew he's joking as soon as I heard it.


For one moment he talks in such a straightforward manner that it's difficult to respond to him, yet in another moment he'll prevaricate with jokes, what a weird person.


You: I thought you'd say things like "only sublime careers would match with a perfect human like me".


Charlie on the other end of the phone stunned for a couple of seconds, then laughed loudly.


Charlie: Hahaha, Y/N oh Y/N, you are really an interesting person. Keep this up and you will make me feel like it's more necessary for us to get married.


You: Huh???


Charlie: A weird little dwarf, with a perfect Prince White*, what a perfect match.


*T/N: Word play of Snow White lol


You: Who on earth would be a perfect match to you?! Also I'm not a little dwarf, I want to be the stepmother, and feed you poisoned apple every single day.


Charlie: Eating every day?  Well it's not like I can't do that either, the hospital is indeed not far from your company anyway. But it'll be easier for you to put this wish of yours into a reality if you marry me.


You: I'm hanging up.


I placed my phone down with no expression over my face, yet I can still faintly hear Charlie's voice from the speaker.



Charlie: Be prepared, my queen, although I'm very busy, but I will look for you in your palace anytime.


You: Palace your foot! I don't want to see you for even a single bit!


Beep-- beep-- beep-- He hung up the call on me.


You: Hey! Hello---



I leaned against the doorframe completely dejected. To think that I will have to see him very often in the future, I feel like my life is now full of tragedy.


You: Say, do you all think that humans really have debts from their past life?



Mao Ge: Then wouldn't my debt be Jiang--


Together, Manman and I widened our mouths in shock.


Mao Ge: Ah, the meeting is almost starting, let's not be late!


Mao Ge leaped up from his seat as if he woke up from a dream, dragging Manman and I and rushed towards the elevator in great speeds, even Zheng Lin's words are still lingering in the air.



Zheng Lin: Mao Ge, there are some matters that you can never run away from.



Chapter 8-03 can be read here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.