Main Story Ch. 7-08 - If It’s the Grand Finale (假如是终曲) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

9/12/2021 11:59:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 7-06... (read here)


Someone is standing under the orange-yellow light from the lamppost. The tall figure looks a little familiar.


I rubbed my eyes and hesitated. I don't know if I should call him out, yet the person has already turned over.


Sariel: Do you actually feel extreme discomfort if you don't cause trouble for even a single day?


You: Director Qi!



Sariel is holding my cloth hanger in his hand, and he is looking extremely unhappy.


I awkwardly stood where I am at. The first thought that flashed past my mind was actually "thank goodness the socks were washed".


Sariel: Are you really a designer? Or should I send you to the short put team?


You: Were you hit by the cloth hanger?


I subconsciously reached out an arm, but I didn't know which part of him I should touch.


Sariel: No need.


Sariel grabbed onto my wrist, and shoved the cloth hanger back into my hand.





Sariel: Just by standing still and you'd be doing the world a favor and earn virtue for yourself. 


You: I'm sorry, I was too excited just now, so I was careless.


He didn't care to respond, only with his expressions darkened, and swiftly tidied his hair.




Sariel: If you dare to say this out, I will make sure that you'll never be able to laugh again.


Say what out??


In an instant, a scenario of an animation protagonist having socks on the top of his head with an annoyed face has appeared in my mind.


You: Pfft...


Sariel threw a cold glance to me.


I immediately gestured to zip my mouth, and let him stay reassured.


You: But Director, why are you here?


Sariel pointed towards the paper box in his hand, turning his gaze elsewhere, and his expressions suddenly turned a little unnatural.





Sariel: Passed by, brought it to the vet.


I curiously bent down and looked towards the paper box, and immediately met with a pair of round eyes. Isn't this the lizard Sariel is raising?!


Seeing me, the little lizard blinked its eyes, looking rather pitiful.


You: What kind of illness did it get?


Sariel: Ahem, heart disease. 


Just when he finished his sentence, the little lizard has drooped its head, and with a plop, it lied down in the box, looking really uncomfortable.


You: Poor little thing. What did the vet say? How will it be treated? It looks so unenergetic.


Sariel: Just eating lesser would do.


You: Eat lesser? Just eating lesser would cure heart diseases?


I looked at Sariel, completely puzzled, I kept feeling that this owner is really unreliable.


Sariel touched his nose*, then cleared his throat.


*T/N: When a person lies, the subconscious part of the brain sends out nervous signals that appear as a gesture, thus contradicting what the person has just been speaking.


Sariel: That's what the vet said.


You: Why haven't I heard of such treatment method? Also is there a vet nearby our house? You aren't conned, are you?


Sariel's expressions gradually turned panicked, I could even hear him breathing a little heavier. 


Sariel: You actually still have the mood to worry about others.


You: ?


Sariel heavily placed the box onto the floor, and a familiar smile full of mock has resurfaced on his face.


Sariel: Applying two day-offs, and uncontactable no matter what, did you happen to get abducted by aliens onto some UFO?


You: ...?


Sariel: Who was the one that told me she'd be performing well in the interview with such confidence? The other party even called the office.


You: My interview?!!


Sariel: Your interview? Well I'm sorry, it's now mine*.


*T/N: I just wanted to write this for people to realize that Sariel actually dislikes interviews so much, but he still decided to get interviewed in MC's place.



You: How did it became yours? My interview huhuhu... Wait no, didn't you look down on that magazine publisher before?


Sariel: Do you think I wanted to do that?


I don't know how I should explain the happenings for the past two days, and I squatted on the ground dejected just like a robot with electric supply completely cut off.


You: If I'm saying that I was really being troubled by some people due to some unresolved personal matters, would you believe it?


I raised my head, and blinked to Sariel. 



Sariel: If I'm saying that you will become a Senior Designer, would you believe it?


You: ...... But this is real! Everything happened too suddenly. When I face trouble next time, I'll definitely inform you in advance! I know this sounds like an excuse, but I really wasn't lying to you.


I looked at Sariel with a pitiful expression.



You: Can you trust me for just this once?


Sariel did not make a sound for quite a while, and drooped his gaze as he looked at me just like this.  With the lights being blocked behind him, it's difficult for me to read his expressions.


You: I'm sorry...


But before I can even finish my sentence, Sariel has gently pulled me up. His hand is really warm, that I even forgot to struggle away from it, and just allowing him to pull me just like that.


The streetlight above me flickered for a bit, and continued to shine in its warm orange light. There are tiny dusts fluttering between us.



Sariel: *takes a deep breath* No more next time.


You: Okay.


Sariel: Hold this, look at it when you're back.



He let go of his hand, and handed me a paper bag, and I could briefly see one of the pages of the documents in it. It's probably the leftover work for the past two days. I wanted to have a look, so I obediently took it.


Sariel: I'm leaving.


However, just when he was bending down to pick up the paper box, he suddenly staggered, and I quickly rushed over to support him.


You: Director, are you okay?


Sariel stunned for a few seconds, and shook his head.


Sariel: I'm fine, you can let go of your hand now.


You: Are you driving over?


Sariel: What are you planning to do?



You: I'll see you off until you arrive your car, is the lizard heavy? I can hold the box for you.


Sariel looked shocked, nd quickly looked around his surroundings, with some embarrassment still lingering in his gaze, as if what I said earlier was really embarrassing to him.



Sariel: *scoffs* Am I that weak? Hurry up and let go of me.


You: I'll let go only if you agree with me.



Sariel: You--


You: Director, you've already forgave me, so you have to give me a chance to express my gratitude too. Just let me send you off. Also you have a little animal here that is sick, I can also help you to watch it.


A creaking sound could be heard from the box just in time, as if it's agreeing to my words.


After staying silent for a few seconds, Sariel has finally let out a quiet sigh, so I considered that as him consenting to it.


So I bent down to carry the paper box in my arms, it indeed has quite some weight.


Sariel: Walk faster.



It probably has rained earlier, the grounds are wet, and the neon signboards reflected in the puddles are still swaying lightly as it continued to change its colors continuously.


A shiny layer of mist veiled over the plants. A kitten dashed past, splashing a few water droplets up, brushing past my ankle with its damp fur, leaving a cool feeling.


You: Do you know? Those water droplets in our eyes are diamonds in the kittens' eyes.



Sariel: What nonsense are you uttering again?


You: I wasn't telling nonsense, they are thinking just like this. They always think humans are silly, only knowing to move in a hurry, and not knowing how to properly admire these natural diamonds.



Sariel: Are you implying that to yourself? Silly as always.


You: ...... 


Despite not seeing each other for a few days, the words Sariel uttered are still as irritating as always.



??: Jianbing*, fragrant jianbing for sale--


*T/N: Jianbing (煎饼) is one of China's most popular street breakfasts. Like an omelet wrap. It starts with batter ladled onto a round cast-iron griddle, ingredients may also vary.


You: Smells so good!


I can't help but to look towards the source of the fragrant smell, and indeed I've saw a familiar old lady from a stall near the subway entrance, and my stomach began rumbling too.


You: Director, since you've brought the lizard out to the vet, you definitely have yet to have dinner, right?


Sariel: Just be honest and say that you wanted to eat it.


You: Save me some respect~


Sariel: ......


You: Let's go let's go, it's my treat.


I dragged and tugged him, pulling the Sariel that is showing a look of disdain and unwillingness towards the jianbing stall.


You: Granny*, it's been a while, I'd like to have two jianbing please.


*T/N: Not biological.



Stall Owner: Right up, you still wanted all-in-one, right?


You: Yeah! Thank you granny! Director, what do you want to add?


Sariel hesitated for a moment, lifting his noble arm and traveled along each and every ingredient.



Sariel: This, this, this, this, this--


Wasn't he uninterested just now? Why is he eating so much?! Is he Sariel?



Sariel: I don't want all of these.


You: ...... You're only adding egg and lettuce? Not even wanting any sauce?


Sariel: Is there a problem?


You: No, not at all.


An immortal that only drinks dewdrops indeed.


The granny smiles as she took  a scoop of the batter, and threw glances at Sariel from time to time.


Stall Owner: Girlie, this person is...?


You: He is a very famous designer, and he is also a big leader in my company.


I leaned towards the granny, and lowered my voice.


You: Don't see him showing a look of disdain like this, he just doesn't have much other expressions, and has been always looking like this.



Sariel: Ahem--


I shut myself up obediently.


Stall Owner: I'm finding this young man looking a little familiar, have you bought jianbing from my place before too?


Sariel: I never eat things like this.


You: Uh, he means he has never ate it before, and he's attracted to the fragrance today, haha.


Stall Owner: Girlie, are you busy recently? My grandchild just returned to the country after graduated overseas, and he's preparing to look for a job in the country.



You: Big Brother Qin Rui is back?


Stall Owner: Yeah. This time he's not leaving anymore, the two of you can meet up more often now, and have meals together--



Sariel: There's something urgent, we'll leave first.


You: ?


I haven't responded in time, and Sariel has already took the jianbing from the stall owner's hand, leaving some coins, and dragged me away in a hurry*.


*T/N: Someone is jealous.


You: Hey, you haven't picked up the lizard! Bye bye granny--



Even until Sariel has stood properly by his car, I am still feeling a little puzzled.


You: Why are you suddenly in a hurry?



Sariel: I suddenly remembered it.


You: Ah, then hurry up and attend to it, don't delay it anymore. Bye bye, director!



Sariel opened his mouth, as if he wanted to say something, but it ended up turning into a helpless sigh.


Sariel: Next time when we're not in the office, you don't have to call me director.


Seeing him driving off I opened the paper bag, wanting to look at how much work I've missed out, but I was completely stunned on the spot.


Codonopsis, White Atractylodes, Poria, Angelica... they are all traditional medicine. There's also a paper that is fully written with cooking and consumption methods.


You: Why is Sariel giving me all these?



Right now, on the car slowly moving forward, the paper box on the passenger's seat is suddenly pushed open.



Lizard: Lao Qi, a little sore*.



After a few seconds, Sariel has responded to it, and threw a sharp glare over.



Lizard: I'm not saying that you're feeling sour*, I'm saying that I've been maintaining this position, so it's a little sore.


*T/N: The word 酸 can mean sour, sore, and jealous. Sariel mistook Lizard for calling him out for being jealous.


Sariel: ......



Lizard: It's too hard for me, forget about being carried by you to repeat walking past there, I still had to learn how to act. If you're a lizard, there are probably at least a hundred tails at her place*. 


*T/N: Just in case if you didn't know... Lizard tails can fall off lol.



Lizard: You didn't even tell me in advance on what kind of sickness I'm supposed to  be having, thankfully I was smart. Can you please bring other cats or dogs next time when you're here instead? Always saying that I'm sick, what happens if I'm really sick?


Sariel: You're too wordy.


Lizard rolled his eyes, and lied onto the edge of the paper box.



Lizard: I'll tell you, those Chinese herbs will definitely be useful, guaranteed to make her healthy!



Hearing this, Sariel's expressions seemed to have softened.



Lizard: How could this world have such a smart and considerate cutie like me?! It's too tiring to act, Lao Qi let me have a bite of the jianbing, you didn't even add a single bit of meat, how could you--


The little lizard tried its best to leap towards the jianbing from the paper box, but Sariel has pinched right onto the back of its neck, and threw him to the back of his car.


The car has now driven into an empty street, all the way towards the edge of the city.



Chapter 7-11 can now be read here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.