Main Story Chapter 10-03: Ward No.6 (六号病房) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

12/16/2021 04:53:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please check out Chapter 10-01~




A relaxing upbeat melody sounded from the depths of the alley.


The signboard of the shop before my eyes has "Jianbing" written in a playful font.



You: So the lunch you're mentioning is... Jianbing?


A few minutes ago, I was feeling troubled on what to eat with Sariel. According to his usual tastes, it's either vegetable salad or vegetable salad with a tiny bit of meat added into it.


You: But weren't you in much disdain about it before? Or are you taking consideration of my tastes?


Sariel turned his face away, so I can't see his expressions clearly, only to hear him scoffing lightly.



Sariel: It has nothing to do with you, I just happened to have a craving all of a sudden.



A female staff with a kind smile led us to a window seat as she introduced the dishes on the menu.


Staff: Which set would the two of you like to order? It's also possible to mix and match yourself.


The scene of Sariel placing an order back then* is still fresh in my memories, hence I quickly spoke before him.


*T/N: Reference from Chapter 7-08.


You: I'd like to have one all-in-one, and only egg and lettuce for him, no sauce needed.


I smiled at Sariel in attempt to seek his praise after I finished my sentence.


You: I didn't remember wrongly, did I?


Sariel seemed to look a little helpless, then turned his head towards the staff.



Sariel: It's fine for me to have the same as hers.


Staff: Certainly, two all-in-ones then.


The staff headed to the counter to place the order. I looked at Sariel in doubt. He is about to pour tea *into a bowl, and rinsed the chopsticks.


*T/N: This is still a traditional way for Chinese to dine in Chinese restaurants. Teas are usually served hot in a teapot, some restaurants will even provide a small basin/ bowl. So you can place your cutlery into the bowl, then soak them with tea, or pour the tea over the cutlery to clean them.


You: Are you really Sariel?



Sariel: Are you really not clumsy bird?


I angrily glared at him. Appraisal complete, it's Sariel indeed.


You: Speaking of it, this shop looks like it's newly opened, how did you notice it?


Sariel: ... I walked past it.


I looked out from the window, it's an alley with almost no trace of humans. It'll take at least seven or more turns if we were to walk from the office. 


You: Walked past, huh...


Sariel's slender fingers subconsciously knocked on the table as he threw me a glance, then turned his head away to examine the decoration in the shop.


You: Sariel, thank you.


Sariel: I don't understand what you're trying to say*.


*T/N: Whenever he says this it actually means he does, the tsundere in him didn't want to admit it I promise you he isn't mean ;u;


A while later, two same jianbings are served on separate places.


Since Sariel's the epitome of "quiet in meals, quiet in sleep", I no longer spoke, only to eat quietly.


It's just that there's always an unsettling feeling when I eat, it feels like there are two*--


*T/N: Eyes looking at me


I quickly raised my head, and I indeed met Sariel's gaze that he has yet to keep in time. Yet uncertain of the reason, he looked like he's holding back from telling something.


You: Understood, is there a mission for me?


Sariel sighed as if he's giving in, and spoke in a rarely seen hesitation.



Sariel: Nothing. I just wanted to ask you-- Do you have other mentors that you'd like to learn from?


You: Eh?


What does this mean? Is Sariel making me to change mentors?


Sariel: You don't have to have any concerns, just be direct if you have any requests, I'll try my best to make arrangements for it.


His expressions looked particularly serious. It feels like it's a decision that he made after thorough considerations. Yet I can't help but to feel a little panicked.


You: Are you not planning to be my mentor anymore? Why?


Didn't we agree to complete next year's designs for Pristine together? Did something shocking happen?


"Thud". He curled his finger and gently knocked on my head.



Sariel: Look at your expressions, did you self-direct a drama in your head again?


You: So why is that?



Sariel: I'll no longer care about you, aren't you supposed to start cheering?


You: Not at all, I only wanted you to be my mentor. Whether it's the past, or in the future.


Sariel startled as he stared at me with incomprehensible emotions exuding from his gaze that disappears instantly, then turned into a wave of gentle beams in an instant.


Sariel: I didn't say I'm not going to mentor you. It's just that there might be unavoidable changes in your job scope in the future, so you'll have to be prepared.


So that's how it is. I sighed in relief. But after thinking in detail, I shook my head again.


You: No matter the changes, I can't think of any sort of job scope that you're unable to guide me.



Sariel: Indeed, it's better for you to not trouble others with those fundamental skills of yours.


Still as merciless as usual whenever he speaks.


You: So no changes in my tutor?


Sariel: It won't.


You: That's good to know, you scared me to death, there are so much more I have yet to learn from you.



Sariel: By the time you finished learning that much of things, even decades would never be enough for you.


You: So does that mean I ask learn from you for decades?


Sariel paused, and a suspicious tint of redness flushed across his cheeks.



Sariel: In your dreams. You'd be an old lady by then, and you'd even probably be a troublesome old lady, the busybody kind that would butt into anything.


You: Then you'll also be an old grandpa with white beard, the kind that will have a straight face from day till night, that even kids would cry from that scary face.



Sariel: ...... Don't worry, I will definitely not let you find me when that day comes.


You: Then I'll block you from your house, or towards various deep mountains and old forests, I'll be able to find you anyway.


Sariel: How would you know?


You: Since you'll coincidentally hear me talking about you every time anyway. At worst scenario I'll just talk badly about you everywhere, I don't believe you'll be able to stand it.


Sariel: Why are you so naughty today?


You: Perhaps it's because... Jianbing is too delicious.


Or perhaps the surrounding sunlight is too good, so good that I got my courage to approach him.


Sariel: I will not spend my time on things with no value.


You: Of course there's value, there has to be value, you definitely gain more value than you'll expect if you were to mentor me. I absolutely can bring the brand into glory under Director Qi's guidance.



Sariel: You have yet to even done much work, yet you're quick in big talks. What happens if you can't make it?


You: I'll gladly receive punishment. But on the contrary, if I were to do well, should there be some rewards for me too?



Sariel: What do you want?


You: How would I know what I want all of a sudden?


Sariel: 10 minutes, there won't be any if you miss the time.


You: You--!


I picked up a piece of jianbing with my chopsticks, then placed it down, then picked it up again as I struggle in my thoughts.


The reward can't be too great, it must be able to be kept for a very long time, it must be meaningful, also... Suddenly, a white fur ball* flashed before my mind.


It's the one that I saw in Sariel's courtyard, because it's too adorable, I even tried searching for similar fur in the textile market, but the touches are all incomparable to that one.


Is that a ball made from Sariel's shed fur? Will he hit me if I ask for it? After serious reconsideration, I still decided to bite the bullet and asked that question. 


You: Can I ask for a fur ball, please?


Sariel: Fur ball?


You: The one dried on the drying line in your courtyard, it's white, about this size, it feels super comfortable to the touch...


Sariel's expressions looked gradually awkward at each word I spoke. By the time I'm done, his hand is already on his forehead.


Sariel: How did you know about that fur ball?


You: I picked it up when I fixed the tap for you, I even washed it.


Sariel: ......


You: Is that fur ball made of shed fur?



Sariel: Another word about it and you won't get a chance to think about rewards in your lifetime ever again.


I immediately covered my mouth, but the picture of him hugging his tail as he combs it is getting gradually clearer.


You: It's really so adorable...


Two glaring blades are thrown towards me. 


You: Alright, then does that mean I can't have fur ball as reward...?


I drooped my head in grievance. Sariel closed his eyes, his long lashes tamely shuts, as if it's having an internal battle.


Sariel: Childish.



You: All hail Sariel!


I cheered with both of my arms high up. I then suddenly got reminded of something, then poked his hand again.


You: Uh, can I ask for a bigger one?



Until just the moment before we part in the office, Sariel still hasn't given me an answer.


You: So can I? Or can I not?



Sariel: Think about it yourself.


You: How can I think about it myself on something like this?!


He stride forward in large steps as I trotted behind him. Looking at his tall silhouette from behind somehow gave me a sense of security.


Throughout these days, there are so much changes happening in my life. There were good ones, bad ones, proactive ones, passive ones, and I have gladly accepted them all, and hence I have also grown a lot from them.


But, no matter what happens, I will never hope for changes in Sariel being my mentor.








 

While waiting for the next part... feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)






Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.