Main Story Chapter 10-06: Ward No.6 (六号病房) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

12/20/2021 07:26:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Before reading this chapter, please check out Chapter 10-03~



As of this Friday, I've been through all areas that I've chosen for survey, the surveying mission this time has now reached its end.


During weekends, I snuggled up in the sofa to watch TV, feeling unwilling to budge even a single finger. The news is broadcasting the continuous occurrences of fire for the past few days, and the cause of fire is still under investigations


Recalling the scene when I was trapped in the house by fire, I still can't help but to feel afraid.



You: It's better to stop watching...


As someone who has experienced it first hand, any words related to fire can easily bring back those scary memories. Time is required for my mood to slowly recover.


News Announcer: Currently, our reporter is at Guang Qi First Hospital's Burns Unit...


The scene changed to Guang Qi First Hospital, the camera scans over the packed flow of people in the hall. Suddenly, a familiar silhouette entered my view.


Orange-brown hair, tall figure, and the face that flashed before my eyes--


You: Tangyuan?! Why is he at the hospital?!


I stared at the TV for a few minutes, wanting to reconfirm it, but the camera never turned back anymore.


After thinking about it, I still took out my phone and dialed his number.



Jesse (talking loudly): Hello? Y/N? What's wrong?


His voice was very loud, but it still couldn't cover the bustling background noises.


You: Where are you now?


The other end of the phone is obviously stunned, only to stutter in his replies after a while.


Jesse: Hey, my signal here is really bad, I can't hear you, the rehearsal room is really too secluded...


You: Why don't I believe it? Let me ask you, are you in the hospital now?


Jesse: Haiyo, what are you thinking? I'm rehearsing now. I've practiced too late last night, and I even caught a cold, ahem ahem ahem, you hear that? Even my voice is sounding a little nasal. In order to not infect you, I'll not see you for the next few days. I--


Hospital Announcement: Ding dong-- Patient No. 17, please head to clinic no. 1 for consultation.


Jesse: ......



You: XIA! MING! XING!


Jesse: Can I still make it if I were to be frank now?


You: You're already having a flu, so I won't disturb you anymore, remember to drink more hot water*.


*T/N: "Drinking hot water" is a Chinese phrase that typical parents/ boyfriend will tell their children/ girlfriends to do (especially when girls are having the satanic ritual every month). It's so common that it's now usually perceived negatively by the recipient. 


I pretended like I'm about to end the phone call--


Jesse: I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry missy! *sighs* I'm in the hospital, there aren't much major problems, all pointers are normal, the doctor even said I'm overnutritioned.


You: Not much major problems? Then what problem is it?


Jesse: Aiya, I was just having some minor injuries. But it's already recovered, and there are no problems anymore!


You: Then why are you hiding it from me?


Jesse: I'm afraid that you'll be worried.


You: Others will be even more worried if you hide it from them. Remember to tell me when something happened.


Jesse: Alright, I'll remember everything you say. I didn't know you care about me so much.


This time, he answered very quickly, his tone is even sounding a little complacent.


You: I just happened to see you on the news camera, so I'm calling to show some concern.


Jesse: Yes yes yes, there are so many people in the TV, yet you saw me at your first glance.


A laugh can be heard from the other end of the phone.


You: I'll not visit you anymore if you laugh more!



Jesse: You're even coming to visit me? Wait up, I'll change my patient gown away immediately!


You: Patient gown?


Jesse: You have yet to have your breakfast, right? The hospital cafeteria probably don't have much food left at this time, what do you want to eat? I'll buy outside!


You: That's not it--


Jesse: Forget it, I'll buy them all, there are quite a few of them are your favorites, I'll be waiting for you!


He ended the phone impatiently without waiting for my reply. I can almost imagine him wearing that loose patient gown as he sprints in the corridors with a silly smile all over his face.


You: It's clear that he's the patient, yet why does it feel like I'm the patient instead...?



I bought some fruits on my way to the hospital. I looked at the message I just received on my phone, and began to frown.


You: Ward 04 of Zone 3. Hasn't he recovered? Why is he hospitalized?


Just when I'm in doubts, my phone vibrated again.


Jesse's Message: The manager insisted for me to get admitted, he's making a big fuss over such a minor issue.



Zone 3 is mainly wards for burns patients. The lighting is dimmer than other places. I walked as I have an inauspicious feeling in my heart.



As soon as I opened the ward door, Jesse immediately stood up from the edge of his bed.


But his ankle and calf is neatly bandaged with gauze, and none of it looked like it's a minor injury as he mentioned.


You: Sit down immediately! You're lying to me again aren't you? This is not a minor injury at all.



Jesse: I really wasn't lying to you, I'm already completely recovered. If you don't believe it, I can carry you right now.


You: ...?


As he spoke, he has already held onto my waist with a single arm, with a lift, my legs are already slightly mid-air. I lifted my gaze to see the pair of clear aquamarine eyes smiling at me.


Jesse: Now you can believe in me, right?


You: Alright alright, you can put me down now.


Jesse: Did you lose some weight recently?


After letting go of me, he sat back to the bed, suddenly recalling something, and carried many plastic bags that are still steaming.



Jesse: Ah, almost forgot, time for breakfast.


You: Thank you. But, how did you get injured? This zone is all wards for burn patients.


Jesse scratched his ear, looking a little embarrassed. 


Jesse: I encountered a little shop caught on fire on my way home, so I went over to the rescue. I ended up getting myself burnt by accident.


Another fire again.


It seems like accidents of fire are surrounding me recently. Although I've tried my best to tell me this is merely a coincidence, but the weirdly unsettling feeling still climbed up along my spine.


Jesse: Are you alright? You look so pale. Your nails are almost stabbing into your flesh.


My hands on my knees are enveloped into a pair of warm hands. Jesse slowly and gently pulled my fingers open from my fists that I've clenched unknowingly.


[Choice]



Light: Don't tell him about the fire in your community area

Night: Tell him about the fire in your community area



[Light: Don't tell him about the fire in your community area]


You: I'm fine.


Jesse pinched my fingers, not too lightly, but also not too strongly. I raised my head and coincidentally met Jesse's eyes. The lively green eyes are full of smiles, yet they are buried with deep concerns and worries within.



Jesse: Others will be even more worried if you hide it from them. Remember to tell me when something happened.


Jesse: He purposely dragged his tone and imitated my tone when I was angry earlier. I can't help but to smile, and my heavy feelings immediately got shrugged off in an instant.


You: I'm really fine, I just suddenly remembered there was a fire in my community area too.


Jesse suddenly sprung up and examined me from top to bottom. I quickly pressed him back onto the bed.


You: Don't look anymore, I'm completely fine, and my house is safe too.


Jesse: Really?


You: Yeah.



Jesse: This won't do, I'm not feeling assured, I still wanted to check.


You: It's really alright, it has been so long ago. You're still caring about my matters when you're wrapped like a mummy yourself?


Jesse: Your matters are mine, if I don't care about it, who will? If you're afraid, you can stay over my place, there are enough rooms, and I don't collect rental either.


I smiled as I nodded. I've decided to not tell him that the fire happened at the building I stayed in, since I still ended up being safe anyway.




[Night: Tell him about the fire in your community area]


You: Actually the community area I lived in had a fire some time ago too...


Seeing Jesse's expressions changing in an instant, I quickly explained further.


You: But my house is well, there aren't any problems with it.


Jesse turned quiet, like a child with his toy, flipping my hand back and forth.


This made me to recall something. Many years ago, I helped him to fight off the older children back then, but there was still a period of time where he was still afraid.


Every time he walked past that alley, he'll always hide behind my backs, holding my hand, and fiddle with my fingers anxiously just like what he's doing right now.


Is he also worrying and feeling afraid for me? My heart suddenly felt very soft. I pretended to talk in a commanding tone.


You: Alright Tangyuan, hurry and spill it already, otherwise I'll not tell you anything in the future.



Jesse: Why are you always like this?


He held my hand tightly and frowned in grievance.


You: What did I do?


Jesse: You never tell me whatever happened to you, and I'm always the last one that gets to know it. You've always been like this since you were little. *sigh* Why is it so difficult for me to want you to rely on me a little more


You: Well, you were busy with your performance back then.


Jesse: So if I were not to be busy for my performance, will I be the first person you go to?


He looked at me with full of anticipation, his gaze filled with nervousness.


You: I'll definitely do that in the future.


His face only bloomed into a dazzling smile after hearing my guaranteeing words.


Jesse: It's a promise, I'll forever be the first one in the future. 



Jesse (in a tiny voice): It'd be even better if I'm the one and only.


You: What did you say?


Jesse: Nothing. I'm saying if you're afraid, you can stay over my place, there are enough rooms, and I don't collect rental either.


I smiled as I nodded. I've decided to not tell him that the fire happened at the building I stayed in, since I still ended up being safe anyway. 



You: Right, I almost forgot.


I pulled my hands out from his, then pinched onto Jesse's soft cheeks.


You: Don't think you can fool me by talking so casually! What do you mean rescuing? It's very dangerous! You aren't even a firefighter!



Jesse: Hey, ouch ouch ouch! Why did you suddenly remember this again?


You: If something happens to you, do you know how worried I'll be!?


Jesse: Don't worry, how would I be daring enough to make you worry? Shouldn't you praise me for such a heroic deed?


You: If I were to praise you, then wouldn't you be butting your head into one recklessly next time?!


Jesse: Did you know? If you were to pinch a man's face for more than 5 minutes, it means you're into him.


My hands froze, it wont' do if I continue pinching, nor it would do if I let go of him.


You: What nonsense are you talking about?



Jesse: Missy, according to your past behaviors, aren't you supposed to say, "I'll let you pinch my cheeks then, and we'll be even!"


You: Are you treating me like an idiot?


Jesse: You won't be at a disadvantage if you like me anyway!


Nurse: Ahem, uh--


The ward door is knocked. I quickly let go of Jesse's cheeks, coughed, and sat properly.


A nurse is pushing a little cart as she enters with a smile, as if she has seen nothing.



Nurse: Xia MingXing, it's time to change your medicine.





Alternatively, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!


If you'd like to support my translations, feel free to contact me for commissions or buy me a ko-fi here!


Until next update! :)




Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.