6☆ Date with Osborn - Colors of the Wild (林野沁色) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

10/02/2021 09:30:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 



The heavy dark clouds have been gathering above the skies, with sounds of thunders could be heard from time to time within the pouring rain. It's just noon, yet it's so dark outside that it feels like late night.


If it weren't for this pouring rain, I'd be boarding on a plane to traveling to a famous city, and I should be enjoying the locally famous Songkran* water festival right now.


*T/N: Songkran is the Thai New Year's national holiday. During the celebration waters are splashed.


But right now, I can only be stuck at home as I space out while looking out from the windows. This is a holiday that I've been anticipating for months...


Suddenly the sound of my phone's ringtone snapped me back to reality. I picked up the phone, seeing Osborn's name flashing on the screen.



Osborn: Are you home now?


You: Yeah, I'm spacing out at home... But I'm supposed to be experiencing Songkran.


Osborn: I know, I saw your post on the timeline. What are you planning to do for the next few days? Any other plans?



You: If the rain never stops, I will probably only be watching recent fashion shows and draw design drafts. Otherwise... I'll pretend to be a mushroom* at home.


*T/N: There's a modern Chinese slang that expresses doing nothing at one place (usually home) that they get so bored they will become a mushroom. It's like the expression of people saying they are rotting at home for doing nothing.


A chuckle can be heard from the phone.


Osborn: *chuckles* This bored? Do you need me to console you for a bit?


You: You'd be consoling me if you would chat with me more often.


Osborn: Trivial things like chatting doesn't count, what I'm saying is to bring you out to have fun.


The words "have fun" are like a spell, immediately dispersing the haze entangled around my heart.


You: Go out to have fun? Right now?


Osborn: What are you thinking, of course we'll have to wait until the rain stops. Till then, I'll bring you to a vacation spot.



It's already weekend by the time the continuous heavy rains have ended. Osborn's car is driving on the curved roads. I looked out from the windows as I watched the endless clear skies, it's hard to imagine that this sky was fully covered by heavy, dark clouds just a night ago.


But right now, the bright sunshine is gradually returning its warmth to this land, even the winds coming into the car windows are warm.



I quietly closed the windows, and turned on the air conditioner.


Osborn: Feeling hot now?


You: A little. I thought it'd be very cooling after heavy rains.


Osborn: That's why I'm bringing you there, you'll find out very soon.


The lush forests passes by the windows as Osborn drifts into the mountain roads, and the sea behind us has became further and further away from us.


Not long after we moved forward along the road, we've arrived the "Joyful Manor" located in the middle of the mountains. Surrounding by forests and streams, this manor is indeed suitable to be a great spot for a relaxing vacation.


The rays of sun passes through the lush trees, gently pouring onto my skin, yet it's completely unlike the scorching rays at the mountain foot. 



It's not even noon, and there are already many private cars parked in the manor, with tourists bustling around, heading towards their respective destination with sounds of joy and laughter.


You: Looks like there are quite a lot of people feeling bored because of the rain.


Osborn: Well it might be one of the causes, but it's more towards the activity tonight.


You: What activity?


Osborn startled slightly, but very quickly returned to his normal demeanor, putting on a smirk intently.




Osborn: You actually didn't know about it?


You: Know... what?


Osborn: Nothing. It's good that you don't know too, so you can anticipate it a little more.


He gave me a mysterious smile, and obviously he's not going to reveal the answer in advance.


Osborn: Let's have lunch, so you won't run out of stamina in the afternoon. There are a lot of fun places in this mountain.


The time is still early, Osborn and I had a lunch with full of nature's flavor. Handbooks of attractions could be seen everywhere, so I simply picked up one of them and flipped it open with full of interest.


Weird thing being, there's nothing here mentioning about night time activities. My curiosity is now gradually increasing.


Since it's an activity that could be searched, then how can a complete handbook of the tourist spots not introducing it...


Just when I was spacing out while reading, Osborn quietly leans to my side.



Osborn: Not done thinking of where to go yet?


You: Uh... I'm not done reading yet. Any recommendations on where to go?


I raised my head, coincidentally meeting his gaze of interest, and a familiar teasing smirk is on his face.


You: Your expressions... feels like you are observing some interesting little animal.


Hearing what I've said, he didn't show any intentions of refuting, but instead smiling so much his eyes have turned into crescents. 


Osborn: Wrong, you're a little mushroom.


You (pouting): The rain has stopped long ago, so I'm no longer one!


Osborn: Alright, if you said you aren't, then you aren't. Ah, it's still a long time until tonight's activity, where should we go now?


There are so many attractions and games to play, where should we go next?


[Choice: It's still a long way until tonight's activity, which attraction should we go next?]



Calling: To the suspension bridge

Listening: Ride on a cable car

Heartthrob (1): Rafting on the mountaintop

Heartthrob (2): Head for bike-riding



[Choice: Do Nothing]


I flipped the attraction guidebook again and again, but there isn't any particular activity that have attracted me



Osborn: Aren't there anywhere you'd like to go?


You: I haven't seen anything that piques my interest for now. How about you recommend some to me?


Osborn: About this... It depends on what kind of requests you have. Do you want somewhere quiet, or to play at somewhere more exciting? Or to the mountaintop or the riverside, you can mention anything.


I pondered for a while and gave it a serious thought, but each suggestions are sounding so tempting and it's really too difficult to make a choice.


You: I think... Anywhere would be great!


Osborn: Anywhere? You're really giving me a big problem to solve huh. You won't be declining them one by one by the time I mentioned where to go, right?


You: Although I might do that when we eat, but I will definitely not do that this time. I'll go anywhere you say. Or we can just lurk around here? I wanted to save my stamina to participate the activity tonight!



Osborn: Alright, it's all up to you. Coincidentally I know somewhere that has mushrooms, wanna have a look over there?


You: I've told you it's not a mushroom!


But this refute didn't sound affirmative enough. Osborn indifferently smiled, and held my hand as we walked out.


[Calling: To the suspension bridge]


I simply browsed the handbook for tourist attractions, and very quickly my target was fixed on a magnificent scene in it.


A suspension bridge between the mountains, connecting the forests and river on both sides. The rapids flows right under the bridge, falling into a wide waterfall, with a rainbow spreading from the water splashes.


Unable to hide my excitement, I showed the handbook towards Osborn and pointed on the photo.



You: Let's go to the suspension bridge!


Osborn gave it a faint glance, his lips have slowly curved up as he smirks intently.


Osborn: I'll tell you first, this photo is taken a few years ago. It might not be like this anymore.


You: ... You can't possibly be telling me that the suspension bridge and waterfall are gone, right?



Osborn: Well not till that extent. You'll know when you have a look over there.


You: Then that'll be fine! Let's hurry up and go!



The waterfall is not far away from the manor. Not long after we walked along the  mountain paths, a suspension bridge is appearing before us.


But different from what's on the photo... is that this suspension bridge before our eyes has obviously been through times under blazing winds and heavy rains, the bright colors from the paints of wood and rope have already faded, revealing its original, aged tones of colors.


The river waters under the bridge are still flowing tirelessly. Perhaps it's because of the heavy rains few days ago, the waterfall now looks even more turbulent than the photos.


The brisk autumn winds brushes past the forest and river, where the seas of forest in distant are blown into waves of lush green, the suspension bridge seems to be swaying slightly, letting out some almost inaudible creaks. 


Creak, creak...


I can't help but to have goosebumps all over.


On the contrary, Osborn was so calm as if he did not hear the rubbing sounds of the rope, his expressions are even... oddly exuding a sliver of excitement.



Osborn: Let's go, have a look up there.


You: You... You can go first, I'll follow you.


He shrugged, then walked onto the suspension bridge as if he's walking on flat floorings, as if the swaying of the suspension bridge was merely my hallucination. 


Unwilling to admit defeat after seeing him doing so, I took a step out, carefully stepping onto the suspension bridge--


However as Osborn is getting closer to the center of the suspension bridge, the swaying is getting increasingly obvious. I immediately kept my leg back just right after I took my first step, and quickly fled the suspension bridge.


The feeling of standing on the stable grounds is so great. I chose to steadily stand on the land.


Osborn stood right in the middle of the bridge, putting on his usual smile over his face, as if he's not surprised at my reactions.


Osborn: Aren't you going to come over?


You: ... Aiya, the scenery here is so great! I'll snap a few pictures then head over!


Not giving him a chance to continue asking, I picked up the camera and recorded the beautiful scene before my eyes.


Although I'm unable to capture the scene where I can face the waterfall directly, but the scenery from this angle is equally magnificently brilliant.


by the time I placed my camera down in satisfaction, Osborn has already reached the other end of the suspension bridge, spacing out while staring into the waterfall.


I took a deep breath, mustering my courage and stepped onto the suspension bridge once again, slowly moving towards him step by step.


But within merely a few steps, the fear from swaying has captured me, making me no longer daring enough to move another step forward.


It can't be helped, I can only look towards Osborn's direction, and shout loudly:


[Call him]



[Mutter gibberish]


Perhaps it was because of the strong fears from the suspension bridge, the voice I shouted sounded too demure, and was completely drowned under the sounds of the waterfall, Osborn didn't hear me at all.


Without any choices left, I can only support my weak legs as I carefully retreat back to the land.


After a long while, Osborn has came back from the suspension bridge.


By the time we've returned from the forests, the sun has already gradually begun to set, falling behind the connecting mountains. 


After a simple dinner, the night breezes are gradually becoming more cooling. Osborn brought me a jacket as he held my hand led me to the other side of the manor to participate the long-anticipated activity.



[Call his name (Xiao Yi, 萧逸)]


Osborn raised his head, and lifted a brow after seeing where I'm standing at, and walked towards me with large strides.


The suspension bridge that was just stabilized began to sway vigorously. I can only grab onto the rope on the sideways tightly, trying my best to balance myself.


Seeing so, Osborn, who has arrived my side smiles as he held me, allowing me to lean towards him.


My legs are still feeling weak, and I can only cling onto his arm tightly like a koala, worrying that I'll be swing under the bridge with a single sway.


A light chuckle could be heard from above. He gently pats my head, consoling me like how he consoles a kid.



Osborn: Why are you coming up if you're so scared?


You (pouting): Who asked you to stand so far away... Also, I wasn't even...


I met the pair of eyes with a hidden smile, my guilty conscience immediately made me to swallow the word "afraid" that I've almost mentioned.


Osborn: Done snapping pictures? Wanna snap a few more over here?


You: I think I'm fine... Let's hurry up and go back!


I'm unwilling to think if the swaying underneath my foot came from the bridge or because of my trembling legs. Tugging onto Osborn, we hurriedly escape the suspension bridge.


By the time we've returned from the forests, the sun has already gradually begun to set, falling behind the connecting mountains. 


After a simple dinner, the night breezes are gradually becoming more cooling. Osborn brought me a jacket as he held my hand led me to the other side of the manor to participate the long-anticipated activity.




[Call him by a nickname (I used Xiao Gege/ 萧哥哥)]


There aren't other tourists nearby. Besides the thundering sounds of the waterfall, there's only the sounds of cicadas from the forest.


In order to let him to notice me as soon as possible, I suppressed my embarrassment, and shouted out the way I secretly addressed him.


It seems like Osborn didn't manage to respond at the first moment, but looking around his surroundings first before turning around to look towards me.


His voice could be heard from the other end of the suspension bridge, mixing with his sly smile.



Osborn: What did you call me just now? I didn't hear it well, say it again.


You (flustered): ... I don't wanna, it's obvious that you've heard it already.


Osborn: What a pity.


Despite him calling it a pity, his tone is still full of smiles.


He walked towards me with large strides. The suspension bridge is swaying so much, I can only grab onto the rope on the sideways with all my might, but the rough hemp ropes rubbing against my palm is starting to cause some pain.


Until a pair of wide hands holding onto my shoulders, that I am finally daring enough to slightly loosen my grip.


Osborn: Don't be nervous, although this bridge is a little aged, but it's still quite safe. The scenery there isn't bad, wanna head there to have a look?


You: ... In the middle of the suspension bridge?


Osborn: Mhm, I'll hold your hand to walk over there, don't be afraid.


Osborn smoothly held my hand, as if he's also transferring some courage towards me. I nodded violently.



You (blushing): Then you'll have to hold it tight.


Osborn: Leave it all to me.


Under his lead, I walked forward, step by step.


Following by his side, even the swaying under my feet are no longer scary, but became a stable rhythm.


In the middle of the suspension bridge, a magnificent rainbow is floating above the waterfall, coming from the misting vapor, decorating the clear blue skies.


I picked up the camera as I recorded the beautiful scene before my eyes, completely forgetting the fear.


Perhaps it's also because I knew, the pair of hands that are protecting me, the man that has been focusing his gaze towards me, will always stay by my side.


By the time we've returned from the forests, the sun has already gradually begun to set, falling behind the connecting mountains. 


After a simple dinner, the night breezes are gradually becoming more cooling. Osborn brought me a jacket as he held my hand led me to the other side of the manor to participate the long-anticipated activity.




[Listening: Ride on a cable car]


I flipped the attraction handbook open, and very quickly found the page for the cable car, then pushed it towards Osborn.



Osborn: Wanna ride the cable car?


You: Yeah! It was raining so heavily a few days ago, it's definitely not easy to walk on mountain paths, let's look at the scenery from the cable car.


Osborn: Sure, as long as you don't find it boring.


You: It won't be! Isn't the main thing to do in a cable car to focus on enjoying the scenery outside the windows? 


Osborn raised an eyebrow, with an obvious smirk hanging on his face.



Osborn: Then I'm afraid that the time to enjoy the scenery will be far longer than you've imagined.


You: ?


Osborn: You'll find out once you're in the cable car.


Osborn is leaving me a cliffhanger, no matter how much I've pestered or tempted him, he wouldn't spill a single word.


With full of questions in my heart, we boarded the cable car.



At the beginning, the scenery outside of the windows have successfully attracted me. But very quickly, I realized where the problem lies.


The speed of this cable car... is way too slow!


A little bird flew out from the forests, flapping its wings as it flies past the windows, and it didn't even take it a moment to fly way past the cable car.


I looked towards the mountaintop, the long slideway seems to look endless, I wonder when we will finally arrive.


Osborn: How's that, told ya I wasn't wrong.


You: Yeah, I didn't expect there to be such a slow cable car in the world... But from another perspective, at least the price for the ticket was worth it, I can feast on the scenery from the cable car with only a single trip. 


Osborn startled for a moment, then laughed heartily.


Osborn: Haha, that's indeed true. Then besides looking at the scenario, is there anything else you wanted to do?


I stared outside the windows, after giving it a good thought for a while, I firmly shook my head.


You: On the sightseeing cable car, enjoying the scenery is the basic form of respect.


Osborn: Mm, what you said makes sense. Since your eyes are busy looking at the scene, then at least your ears are free, no? Sigh, how about I tell you a story about this mountain?


You: Story about this mountain... It can't be a horror story right?


Osborn: What are you thinking? It's about something I've encountered here in the past. As for the content, it's more towards warm and peaceful ones, there's not a single bit of horror element in it.


You: So in other words, it's not that meaningful?


Receiving a light knock on my forehead, I can't help but to raise my arms to cover my forehead. Osborn then nonchalantly cleared his throat.


[A voice clip will be played here]



I'll tell you first, it's all some trivial happenings, I'll tell as I remember.


Why are they all trivial matters? Because you can't expect to have major things to happen every day.


Especially when you're riding on a motorbike all the way to the mountains to relax, and not thinking about anything.


Back then there weren't much roads on the mountain, so motorbikes are much more capable in adapting to the mountains compared to racecars.


What happens if there are narrow paths? Then I can only get off the bike and walk. I still treasure my life pretty well.


*chuckles* Treasuring my life isn't even contradictory to being a bounty hunter.


Don't look at me, look at the scenario, pay more respect towards cable cars. Didn't you say this just now?


Okay okay okay, I'll continue telling.


Why, wanted to listen to a longer story?


Then I'll probably... really have nothing much that's interesting.


Well it's just two magpies spending an entire month to build their nest, but there was a rainstorm when it was almost complete.


Then? Then the kind-hearted me placed the nest they built back to the tree. Hm.


But the two magpies obviously didn't like me, flapping their wings and searched for another place to build their nest.


Isn't it a little boring?


Then how about this, you ask questions, and I'll answer them.


What to ask? Of course ask anything that you're curious about. Anything on this mountain would do.


*Bird sound*


What is the type of bird that flew over there? Uh... Ahem, such questions don't count.


Of course it wouldn't count. If you're asking me what kind of fish I've fished on the deck, I might actually know the answer.


Birds... are outside my scope of knowledge.


*Clears throat*


This can't do, I'll have to redeem my image in your heart.


How about this, you point towards somewhere, I'll tell you what exists there.


For example, the high hillside over there has two hawthorn trees, wild ones.


Interested? I'll bring you over there when it's autumn.


Forget about eating, the hawthorns are terribly sour, I've never seen it being sweet before.


What's on the mountaintop? Besides cable car and the slideway, there's only an observatory.


I think it's probably newly constructed after the development of the scenic spot, there used to be nothing there in the past.


You can actually see the sea view from the mountaintop. Hey, wanna have a look over there later?


[End of voice clip]






In a blink of an eye, we have reached the end of the the long slideways. Osborn and I stood on the observatory at the ridge, looking over the view where the skies and the seas are connecting.


The borderline between the seas of forests and the oceans, is now right under our foot.


By the time we've returned from the forests, the sun has already gradually begun to set, falling behind the connecting mountains. 


After a simple dinner, the night breezes are gradually becoming more cooling. Osborn brought me a jacket as he held my hand led me to the other side of the manor to participate the long-anticipated activity.



[Heartthrob (1): Rafting on the mountaintop]



My gaze travels through the pages of the handbook, and finally fell onto the page with an introduction of game activities.


You: Canyon rafting... How about we play this one?


Osborn lifts a brow, looking a little surprised.



Osborn: Are you sure you wanna play this? Not afraid?


You: Of course not!


I said that so confidently, I could almost slap my chest to guarantee it.


But after meeting the pair of clear eyes that seems to be able to see through people's hearts, my guilty conscience has subconsciously kicked in.


You: Fine... Maybe I'll be a little nervous after sitting on the raft. But since we're already here, of course we have to play something exciting!


Osborn: Sure, as you wish. As long as you aren't afraid, I'll accompany you until the end no matter how many times we're playing.


You: Hurry up then, let's go! Let me see where the starting point of rafting is...


Before I can find the corresponding starting point, the attraction handbook is already taken away from my hands.



Osborn: There's no need for a map, directionally-challenged dummy. As long as I'm here, I'll never let you be lost.


Osborn pulled the handbook away, holding my hand and led me outside.


Leaving the manor, we walked towards the starting point of the canyon rafting activity along the road.



This mountain has been developed into a tourist spot a few years ago. The main roads are reconstructed, but vehicles are only allowed to drive from the mountain foot to the manor. If the tourists wish to head towards the mountaintop, they can only either choose to walk or cycle.


Hence, most of the roads heading towards many of their attractions are merely a simple mountain path instead of the flat and broad asphalt roads.


Uncoincidentally, despite after the dark clouds have dispersed, the rainstorm a few days ago is still affecting the environment. Not only the water vapor is still lingering in the air, it has also dampened the soil.


Right now, Osborn and I are walking on a muddy path. With steps plunging in different depths from the footprints left by the other tourists, I can't help but to feel grateful that I am not the earliest one to arrive here. 


If it weren't for these footprints, I'm afraid that it'll be even more difficult to walk on this path. However, seeing the unavoidable spots of soil on my sneakers, I still feel a little pained at the sight. This is the pair of shoes that I've just washed...


The person by my side suddenly stopped his steps, and I am also forced to stop because our hands were tightly held together.



You: What's wrong?


Osborn: Want me to carry you on my back?


He pointed towards my sneakers, he has obviously noticed my gaze earlier.


Osborn: You seemed to really mind about it. There's actually a way for you to not dirty it.


You: It's alright, we've already reached here anyway. Also...


I measured him up from top to bottom, curiously pointed towards his trousers-- Someone's situation is way worse than mine.


You: Also, seems like people who are heavier are even more unsuitable to walk on mountain paths~



Osborn: Yeah, I'm really unsuitable to walk on mountain paths. So, you'll have to hold my hand tighter, so I won't fall.


Osborn smiles slyly as he held onto my hand even tighter raising it as he sways it before my eyes.


A warmth could be felt across my cheek, I immediately turned my head away, holding his hand and continued forward in large strides.


The forest breeze brushes over as the leaves rustle, with only quiet sounds of two people walking together, resonating with the unknown sounds of heartbeat into my ears.



Before Osborn's trousers are full of mud, we've finally arrived the starting point of canyon rafting.


Luckily, there aren't much tourists here. It's Osborn and my turn after only a short wait.


The staff checked the safety measures as they explained the things we should be cautious of when rafting.


However, I've suddenly felt nervous out of nowhere after sitting on the raft. The more detailed the explanations from the staff are, my heart beats even faster.



Staff: ... During the rafting process you'll be passing through rapids and holes*, during this time you should not use paddles to accelerate. When you're going downstream, remember to maintain your body's balance and stay parallel with the riverway, try your best to flow down along the downstream. Due to the rainstorm a few days ago, the holes are probably covered by waters, but the water levels have also rose a lot.


*T/N: Features formed when the river passes over the top of a rock, ledge or other obstacle in the river.


Staff: Besides, remember to not get too over when you're having water fights while drifting.



You: Water fights?



Staff: Many tourists will have water fights. As long as you can maintain the raft's balance, then it will not be dangerous.


Osborn, who's sitting opposite of me, patted my hand in a consoling manner.


Osborn: Don't be nervous, relax a little.



His words seems to magically bring a form of sense of reassurance, calming my accelerating heartbeat caused by nervousness.


You: Understood, I'll try to relax. Also, the best sailor is right by my side, there's nothing to be afraid of.



Osborn: That's my good girl.


He rubbed my cheeks, wiping away the water droplet splashed on my face that I wasn't aware of, then tightened the safety equipment on me.


In a blink of an eye, the raft queued before us have departed.


Staff: It's your turn. Hold onto the safety rope tightly.


As the rubber raft drifts to the starting point, I subconsciously held my breath, and held onto the safety rope on the raft.


On the next second, the raft glides over the water surface, and rapidly slides downwards--


The blazing winds brushes past my ears along with the excitement from the feelings of weightlessness, condensing into a sound of cheer at our throats, until the large splashes of water wet our bodies, the small raft has finally fell into a stable riverway.


An usual smile is hanging on Osborn's face, but it is looking more brilliant than ever.


Osborn: Wasn't that exciting?


You: Yes! I've even heard your scream just now!



Osborn: That wasn't a scream, it's a cheer in excitement. Also, didn't you scream too? 


You: I wasn't~ I was also cheering alright. My screams aren't like this, it's not that you have never heard it before anyway.


Just right after I finished my sentence, a scream could be heard from the upstream afar, even accompanied by sounds of trembling. Looks like the raft behind us has departed.


After a while, when the raft has slide down into a splash, the screams have finally stopped behind the water curtains.


Osborn and I looked at them, stunned, only to snap back to reality after quite a while, and laughed in tacit.


You: See? THAT'S what you call a scream.



Osborn: Mm, a very stable soprano. How about showing me when there's a chance next time?


You: I'm afraid there won't be a chance, I'm not that easily scared anymore.


I raised my head to show my little proudness, feeling very confident with my courage after practice.


However, Osborn has been smiling slyly from the very beginning, with his gaze full of ambiguous feelings, like a hunter that has fixed his aim onto his prey.


At the next moment, a water curtain suddenly splashed towards me. I can only see Osborn's victorious smirk after the vapor dispersed.


You: Osborn!!


Osborn: The Songkran you've missed, I'm now making it up to you. If you aren't going to fight back, then you can only be bullied by me.



You: How would I ever let that happen?! I should be the one bullying you!


Unwilling to admit defeat, I started to fight back, entering this great war of water splashing.


Just like this, accompanied by the sounds of waters and laughter, we've drifted along the stable riverway.


But very quickly, the surrounding water currents started to become rapid.


Looking from a distance, it seems like there's an inflow of water coming from a river in front, leaving a curtain of water, splashing numerous cooling splashes.


Noticing the potential dangers from the waters, I reached an arm out to tug on Osborn's sleeve.


You: Osborn, should we avoid the area of water inflow over there?



Osborn: So smart. Then you gotta sit well, we'll be switching lanes.


Osborn picked up the paddle, and easily controlled the raft to avoid the rapid waters.


Seeing the downstream not far away from us, the sounds of repetitive exhorts from the staff before our drift sounded in my head again--




Staff: ... During the rafting process you'll be passing through rapids and holes*, during this time you should not use paddles to accelerate. When you're going downstream, remember to maintain your body's balance and stay parallel with the riverway, try your best to flow down along the downstream.


You: Osborn, we have to turn the raft to make it parallel with the riverway, then keep the paddle!


Osborn: Yo, not bad, didn't you remember pretty well? Hold tight onto the safety rope, don't ever let go.


The rubber raft is adjusted to the standard angle of safety, and it's slowly drifting downstream.


But right then, an unexpected matter happened. The raft behind us were unable to avoid the rapids, and have been flushed towards us, crashing to our raft heavily instead--


You: Ah!!



Osborn: Watch out!


The raft that was originally drifting normally suddenly got bumped to the side, brushing right past a rock exposed outside, and got caught into the rapid waters.


Before we can respond to it, we're gliding downstream in a slanted manner along the slope of river.


In panic, I carelessly threw my arms in the air. Until a large hand grabbed onto me, and pulled me into a warm embrace.


The raft aggressively crashed onto the river shores, moving up and down along with the violent rapids, almost toppling over. I can't help but to hug onto Osborn even tighter. 




From the corner of my eyes, it seems like I can see him reaching am arm to grab onto a drooping vine to forcefully correct the raft's direction.


But the weak vine can't sustain the pulling force, and snapped right away. Thankfully enough, the raft stopped being bumpy, and the fearful feelings of weightlessness have also greatly reduced.


Osborn: Don't be afraid, hold me tight.


The gentle notes lingered by my ear, and they are just as reassuring as the tall figure that has been shielding me firmly.


On the riverway with a large gap of height, we glided down in high speeds. The running sounds of water filled our ears, even the gusts of winds are brushing past the hair by our ears.


Among the chaotic sounds, the sounds of violent heartthrobs have instead gotten clearer and clearer. The similar frequencies intertwined, unsure if it's mine, or if it's Osborn's.


Until the surroundings are turning calmer, Osborn has finally let go his arm. I gradually raised my head from his embrace, looking at the surroundings with aftershocks. 


The most dangerous waters are now far away, and for once again, we drifted into a stable stream.


Osborn lowered his head, eyes reflecting my slightly paled face.


Osborn: Are you alright? Did that scare you?


You: A little...




Osborn: Don't be scared, it's alright now.


The violent heartbeats gradually calmed down. I pressed onto my chest, but suddenly recalled the scene I glanced from the corner of my eye.


You: Right, your hand...


I pulled his left hand, and indeed saw a faint streak of redness, and the vine fragments remained.


Osborn pulled his hand back as if he didn't mind it at all, and very quickly washed away the green residue left on his hand.


Osborn: I thought you'd definitely close your eyes just now. Looks like you are getting braver, it's a good thing indeed.


You: ... Did it hurt?


Osborn: Hurt? You're underestimating me too much. I only tugged it once, even tug-of-war hurts more than this.


You: Pfft...


Seeing him comparing with such a serious face, I can't help but to burst out in laughter.


You: But I really didn't expect to face such a situation...


Osborn: Yeah, even I was shocked too.


You: Really? Why do I feel that you're really calm just now?



Osborn: It can't do if I'm not calm, I can't possibly let the raft topple. Moreover, you're still in my arms.


The purposely lowered husky voice is right within reach, even the splashes of waters couldn't cover the scorching heat on my face.


I tried hard to suppress my embarrassment, holding onto his shoulder, and pushed him an inch further. My mind is thinking about how to change the topic.


You: ... Don't think that I won't ask you to compensate me by saying that!


Osborn: Compensate what?


You: You told me before we departed, if we happened to encounter a 'what if' situation, then you will have to bring me to buy lottery. So you'll have to accompany me until I win the jackpot!


Osborn was stunned at first, then laughed uncontrollably, even the raft itself felt like it's slightly shaking.


The laughter stopped after quite a while. He held my hand, and lightly pressed onto my palm.



Osborn: *laughs* You can buy however much you want, no matter what prize you strike, they are all yours. I've already found my jackpot anyways.


He stared at me with full of focus, with a layer of warm light halo from the sun embellished over his features. His usual unruliness are all gone, leaving him with only the clean, pure gentleness.


The final stop of the drift will be right after the next turn, yet I wished for this journey to stop at this moment, sealing into the ambers of memories, letting it to shine brightly in the long river of time.



By the time we're back to the homestay, the sun is already gradually setting, falling into the back of the connecting mountains.


After changing into the clothes that were completely drenched, Osborn took a jacket for me, and tugged me as we head to the other side of the manor, to participate the long-awaited activity.



 


[Heartthrob (2): Head for bike-riding]


The attractions listed in the handbook are always about the same. After flipping through the pages for ages, I've finally found an attraction that I'm interested in.



MC: Oh, there are cycling paths here! How about we ride on bicycles? Also the handbook says this road can go straight up to the observatory on the mountaintop, we can even have an ocean view from there!



Osborn: Sure. But there are quite a lot of people visiting this place today, those electric bikes* from the rental stop are probably all rented out by others. If there's only mountain bikes left, you'll have to make mental preparations for that.


*T/N: Osborn actually said stamina-saving bicycles, but generally in tourist spots, most of them rent out electric bikes and road bikes (unless you're in the mountains or other areas, then other types).


You: Don't worry, I'm not that squeamish.


Seeing me speaking in such a confident manner, Osborn smiles as he lifted his eyebrows, holding my hand as we left the restaurant.


Until we've arrived the rental shop, I've finally realized the words of grandiloquence I've uttered earlier. Those lightweight, convenient  bicycles have been all rented out by the tourists arriving after the rainstorms, and there are only a few sturdy, heavy mountain bikes left, leaving me only being able to stare without making a further move.


I then stubbornly chose a small-sized mountain bike, and tried to cycle a round in the rental area. Perhaps it was because of the uneven terrain, I've been panting from lethargy after only a single round.


Osborn hurried towards me, and held on my weakened legs along with the almost-collapsing mountain bike.



Osborn: You managed to cycle a whole round, impressive. Uh, but the cycling track has a way higher grade of slope than this place, are you sure that you want to ride on a mountain bike.


You: I was originally very certain, but now... forget it. It's too tiring! No wonder everyone are so unwilling to ride them!


I leaned onto the bicycle handle, trying my best to calm my breath down, not even wanting to move at all. Osborn looked at me in amusement.


Osborn: *chuckles* If it's your first time riding one, it's very normal. Save some stamina to participate tonight's activity then, let me give you a ride.


You: Isn't it illegal to carry people while riding bicycles on the road?


Osborn: Yeah, but there are exceptions for cycling tracks in tourist spots.


You: But you'd be really tired if you're the only one cycling, how about we take turns?


Osborn: Then I'll be in charge to cycle uphill, and you'll be in charge to cycle down.



You: But that--


Osborn: No buts. Do you still want to look at the sea?


You: Hmph... I can cycle to the mountaintop myself too.


Although I've been saying that, but both of my legs are still feeling sore, as if they are warning me not to push myself.


Osborn smiles as he reaches an arm to me, helping me off bicycle seat, and changed it to a mountain bike with a back seat, then casually cycles it to me.


I sat at the backseat, both hands grabbing onto his hem just nicely.


You: Alright, let's go!


Osborn: ... Just like that? Aren't you afraid of falling down?


Along with his tone of speech, my hands were tugged forward, and are now tightly circling over his waist.


Osborn: That's right. Hold me tight, don't ever let go.



Only separated by the thin cloth, I can almost feel his warmth, and the lean shapes of muscles...


A heat could be suddenly felt over my ears, so I can only stick my cheeks onto his back. The warmth that belongs to only him spreads to me, although it's not as scorching as the sun above us, but it has made my cheeks to burn even further.


The gentle breezes brushes over our hairs, we rode to the mountaintop, accompanied by the sounds of cicadas surrounding us.


Yet when we're almost arriving the mountaintop, a middle-aged tourist riding downhill suddenly called us.


Tourist: The young couple over there! Don't go forward anymore, the road in front is blocked!


You (blushing): Young couple...


Hearing the way the tourist addressed us, and by the time I've just snapped back to my senses, Osborn  has already stably braked the bike.



Osborn: Uncle, what happened over there?


Tourist: Aiya, it's all because of the rainstorm few days ago, there were many stones that were flushed down, and it has blocked this road. Anyway there's no way to go up using this road. If you want to head to the mountaintop, you'll have to go back along the way and turn to the path of staircase.


After the tourist is done talking, he rode downhills in a flash,  only leaving us with a gradually disappearing back view.


You: What should we do now? Should we walk the staircase instead?


Osborn: That road would take at least 3 hours. The skies would be dark by the time we've climbed to the mountaintop.


You: But to go back without seeing the seas, it's really a pity...


I can't help but to feel a little dejected, even my arms that were hugging him tightly have subconsciously loosened.


But on the next second, a warm, large hand has grabbed onto my hands, and firmly fixed them onto the waist again.


Osborn: If you wanted to have a view of the sea, then we'll go somewhere else. But we'll have to go through the mountain paths. Sit tight.



You: Eh?! Where are we going?


Osborn smiles as he stepped onto the pedals again, but didn't reply to my question, allowing it to shatter within the rustling sounds of the leaves.



Very quickly, he turned into a curvy, narrow mountain path. The tires run over the stones, letting out some fine, crackling sounds.


The shock-absorbing system that have made my legs so sore is finally showing its importance now, neutralizing the bumping from the mountain path, allowing me to enjoy a moment of peace and quiet.


By the time the sounds of  the winds have gradually softened, Osborn has finally stopped the bicycle. A forest of well-arranged trees appears before my eyes, with the wild grasses deliberately growing everywhere, it shows how abandoned this place has been. 



You: Is this an orchard?


Osborn: It was, but abandoned afterwards.


I turned over to glance at him. Unsure why, right now there's not a single bit of smile on his face, but instead he looked like he's... reminiscing something.


But as soon as he notices my gaze, his usual nonchalant smile has climbed back to his lips.


Osborn: Since we're now here, let's pluck some fruits to eat. Want anything?


You: Uhm, what kind of fruits are available here?


Osborn: Let me think.... The best in this season is probably plums.


You: Sure, then let's pluck some plums!


We've arrived the plum area after walking past the crossroads in the orchard. The orange-yellow fruits are grown on the trees, the dewdrops hiding under the leaves are still yet to disappear, shining in clear, bright lights.


Perhaps it's because there was nobody taking care of them, the tree branches are already stretching outwards, and the plums are fruiting unevenly. Osborn and I can only split up to harvest the ripe fruits..


I aimed at a round plum hanging on the tree branch, trying my best to jump a few times to pluck it down, but I was only able to briefly brush its outer skin.


A low chuckle suddenly could be heard from my side. I stopped the jumping movements, and looked towards the owner of the voice.



Osborn: Don't mind me, go on, that's quite adorable.


You: ......


Osborn: Need help?


You: Of course! Otherwise why would I need to see you making fun of me?


Osborn raised a brow, putting down the fruits in his hand and walked towards me.


I moved a few steps aside, and just when I was ready to make space for him to give him the best spot to pluck the fruit, I didn't expect myself to be lifted up by a sudden force--


You: O- Osborn!?


Osborn: What are you afraid of? I'm holding you alright.




The pair of pale aquamarine eyes are so close within reach, staring at me with full of smiles, almost lighting up a fire across my face. I dare not to look into the depth of his eyes, and I can only helplessly gaze away.


Right then, I suddenly saw a smudge of gold flashing past my eyes-- The plum I was eyeing for is robbed away by a squirrel!


You: Osborn! Fruit! My fruit!


Osborn: Still can't reach it? Then I'll hold you up higher.


He changed a position as he speaks, and held me up even higher.


The pair of large, warm hands are tightly holding between my waist and hip, I can feel his breath falling right on my neck, blowing up layers and layers of little trembles, spreading towards my entire body.


I slightly lowered my head to look at him. It seems like it's my first time looking at him from above. So those green eyes are this clear when they are under the sunlight...


I suppressed my embarrassment as I moved my gaze away, lightly pushing his shoulder away from me.


You: I didn't mean I couldn't reach it... Hurry up and put me down.



Osborn: *chuckles* Not plucking the fruits anymore?



You: The plum just now was taken away by a squirrel, it took me so much effort to find a round fruit.


Osborn: Is that so... Then I'll hold you as we walk a few more rounds here, surely we can find better ones.


As soon as he finished his sentence, he held me up and ran around really quickly. Completely caught off guard, I can only circle his neck and stick onto him tightly.


The shades of the trees and sunlight are pouring onto us interchangeably, my exclamations have gradually became laughter as our voices intertwined together.


After quite a while, we are finally done picking the plums, and headed to the other side of the farm.


Walking through the lush forest of fruit trees, looking out from the cliffside fence, the scene where the skies are connecting with the seas has now appeared before us.



You: Wow! You can really see the sea from here! Osborn, how did you know about this place?


Osborn: The owner of this orchard was an old sailor.


You: Is he someone you know?


Osborn: I've learnt a lot from him when I was on the seas. But his health wasn't good, so he's not suitable to stay in the environment of the seas since long ago, so he opened an orchard here.


You: Let me guess, he chose here because he can see the sea here, right?



Osborn: So smart. After that, this mountain is about to be developed into tourist spot, so the orchard is also shut down. Perhaps those who have been sailors will always have some attachments to the seas, so he returned to the seas again.


You: But didn't you say his health condition was...


Osborn gazed towards the distant seas.


Osborn: Unsuitable, but nobody could stop him. Not long after he returned to the seas, he passed away.


His tone was faint and calm, but his gaze looked heavy, like the calm before the storms.


Looking at Osborn like this, I can only feel my heart feeling indescribably sore, but I don't know how I can console him, so I can only quietly hold onto his hand.


You: You must've been really sad...


Osborn was first stunned for a moment, then let out a fully consoling smile, holding my hand back with his large hand.


Even though he has covered it up really well, but I can see that the storms in his eyes has yet to calm down.


Osborn:  Do you know why he will open an orchard?


You: Because... He likes eating fruits?


Osborn: Almost there. It's hard to get fruits on the seas, so he has some form of stubbornness in him. But by the time he's really retired, he started to miss the seas, and insisted to go back. Speaking of it, it seems like many sailors are like this too.


He stared into the endless seas. I could almost see the undulating waves in his eyes, but I can't see if he was actually missing it.


You: ... Is it the same for you too?


Osborn: Me?


The lightweight question wafted back into the seas, like the boat that have carried the old sailor to set sail, but could never bring him back anymore.


In the gentle breezes, a light chuckle suddenly could be heard from the side. The haze from Osborn's face have also gradually dispersed.



Osborn: I've never left the land, and I've also never left the seas. So there's nothing much to miss about. If there's somewhere I wanted to go, I'll depart immediately. If there's someone I wanted to see, I'll immediately see her right away.


Osborn kept his gaze from the seas, smiling as he held onto my hand.


The sea breezes brushes halfway up to the mountains, lightly swaying the lush leaves in the forests, and his hair that seems to be dyed with the colors of the deep oceans.


Despite Osborn hasn't been putting up any sad expressions, but on our way back, he has not been uttering a single word, making me to subconsciously recall the question he didn't answer me.


Facing the old sailor's passing, no matter how well he has covered it up, but there's always a form of sadness exuding from him...


Just when I'm still sinking into deep thoughts, we've already returned to the place we parked the mountain bike. Seeing Osborn getting ready to mount up the bicycle, I quickly voiced out to stop him.


You: Wait up--


Osborn: What's wrong, still not wanting to go back yet?


You: No, I'm just helping you to bring a promise to reality. 


Under his puzzled gaze, I hurriedly mounted onto the bicycle and securely occupied the seat.


You: You've promised to let me ride it downstairs, you can't take back on your words~


Osborn: Of course not. But it's going to be quite a difficult ride in this mountain path, you sure you wanna do that yourself?


You: It's fine, this mountain path isn't long, it'll be much more relaxing by the time I reached the main road.


I triumphantly patted the backseat of the bicycle, looking at Osborn sitting behind me, an unspeakable sense of fulfillment has completely filled my heart.


So, with my amateur riding skills, we've rode past an extraordinarily bumpy mountain path. Until we've finally returned to the main road, I can even feel Osborn's tensed body finally relaxing itself. This made me unable to hold back from wanting to make fun of him for a bit.


Looking at the wide cycling lanes, and then remembering how dejected he looked earlier, I suddenly had an idea.


You: Great Racer Osborn, it's now your turn to hold tight!


Osborn: What? Am I not holding you tight enough?


I let out aa sly laughter, then stepped hard onto the pedals for a few rounds. The mountain bike is indeed like an arrow leaving its bow, bringing us to rush all the way downhill.


The sounds of the gusting winds could be heard, and the arms over my waist are gradually tightening. Osborn's thumping heartbeat is sticking closely to my back, agitating me to let out a hearty laughter.



I controlled the bike's speed along the way, and finally parked the bike at our starting point stably.


Turning over, I saw Osborn's shocked face, and I can't help but to laugh even louder.


You: The Great Racer Osborn is still shocked while sitting behind a girl on a mountain bike, how lame~ 


Osborn took a couple of deep breaths, and until his breath is finally completely calm, he finally reached out an arm to violently ruffled on my head.



Osborn: Riding so fast downhill like this, any human would be scared by you. You are the only one daring enough to torture me like this, naughty little girl.


I snuck a glance at Osborn's expressions as I listened to him muttering his ramblings. Right now, the haze over his face has finally dispersed completely.


Noticing my gaze, he paused a little, and stared at me, looking a little at a loss.


Osborn: Why are you staring at me like that, something on my face?


You: No, it's just that I'm finally not looking at the Osborn that is forcing a smile out.


As if he didn't expect for me to say words like this, Osborn stunned a little, and only to finally smile again after quite a while.


Osborn: It's not forcing a smile, I just didn't want to make you worry.


You: You were so dull and silent just now, how could I not worry...


Just when I finished my sentence, someone has already pinched my cheek.


Osborn: My bad, I didn't know your eyes were this sharp. But speeding downhill is really dangerous, don't do that anymore. 


You: Understood! I was trying really hard to squeeze the brakes, my hands are already hurting from it.


I showed my reddened palms before his eyes for a bit, but he has immediately caught them tightly.



Osborn: Then in order to compensate you, should I feed you later?


You (flustered): ... I don't want that!


I can't help but to move my gaze away from my burning cheeks. Osborn smiled, ignoring my declines, and held my hand as we headed towards the restaurant.



After a simple dinner, the night breezes are gradually becoming more cooling. Osborn took a jacket for me, and led me to the other side of the manor.




[Common Ending]



Right now, shrouded under the night skies, a small festival is now ongoing.


There are three giant barrels placed at the center of the venue, with rich beer flowing out from them as they filled the guests' mugs.


There are various types of beer placed around the surroundings, with the fermented scent of malt lingering around the entire manor.



You: This is... Beer festival?!


Osborn's eyes turned into crescents, smiling as he nodded.



Osborn: Since you've missed Songkran, then let's experience Oktoberfest*. 


*T/N: Oktoberfest is a drinking festival, the largest beer festival and travelling funfair in the world. It used to take place in October, but as the festival got longer, the starting dates were moved into September because the days were longer and the weather was warmer. Consider this as a little thought from Osborn to make up your sadness of missing a trip to Thailand and bringing you to 'Germany'.


Osborn: Night breezes with beer, aren't they a good match?


I took the beer he handed me, and take a sip to give it a try. The cooling liquor mixing with bubbles have soothed the heat pent up in my heart.


You: Indeed a good match, especially the beer coming that are just out from the fridge!


However, just when I was about to have my second sip of the beer, a pillar of water have accurately shot towards me--


Despite Osborn have quickly pulled me into his embrace, but I was still unable to avoid being fully splashed by the liquor . In an instant, the strong scent of liquor have surrounded me.


The traveler beside me holding on his bottle with only half of the beer left, and kept apologizing towards us. 


Traveler: I'm sorry! I didn't control properly when I opened the bottle, I didn't expect it to spill so much.


You: It's okay, someone probably gave it a violent shake before this...


Osborn and I pulled the tissues as we wiped our own drenched hair and clothing. Until the accidental troublemaker have gone far away from us, we finally looked into each other.


You: This has really became Songkran, and it's even a Songkran where you can't splash anything back...


Osborn: If you really wanted to play, then I can let you to splash me for a bit too. But only with water, not with liquor.


You: You'll catch a cold after I splashed you! I won't wanna do that.


Osborn: I'm not that weak alright. How about you give it a try?



He smirks as he leans closer, blocking off the slightly cooling night breezes with his body, and encircled me firmly.


The clothing wet by liquor is closely sticking to his chest, exuding a faint scent of liquor, entwining with his scent of black cedar, yet it's oddly more intoxicating.


It's still early. I flustered as I pushed myself away from his embrace, tugging him as we walked into the depths of the festival.


No matter if it's a festival or a normal day, and no matter if it's a sunny or rainy day, as long as I'm with him, it's the best occasion.



- END -




Osborn's Event: Delightful Moments




Osborn's Event: Observation Diary

All 4 Records can be checked here!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!



Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.