Main Story Ch. 7-19 - If It’s the Grand Finale (假如是终曲) | Light and Night 光与夜之恋

9/27/2021 12:32:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

 

Previously on Chapter 7-16... (read here)


Driver: The vice director has called.


Charlie picked the call, and the sounds of chaos and cries of the people could be heard in an instant, along with the clanging sounds of metals. Like a marching song from the otherworld, breaking the silence of this moment.


His brows turned into a frown, carrying the girl, and hurried into the apartment.


After five minutes, the car flashing in red lights crashed into the dark night.



On the next day, I woke up from an excruciating, throbbing headache, and the memories last night is still stopped at the moment in the bar.


You: How much did I actually drink?! I wonder how everyone else are?


Just when I picked up my phone and was about to open the call log, the news popup has took my attention away.


"Beware of fire safety! There was a fire in a residential located at Linwan Rd. Alley 79 has at 2300 hrs, three people were heavily injured, and have been sent to the hospital for rescues. The cause of fire is still yet to be known..."


"According to sources, this is the 5th case of fire happening in Guang Qi city recently, we have invited an expert..."



You: There are so much of fires that came out of nowhere recently, gotta check my kitchen soon.


I immediately get down from the bed as soon as I thought of it. However, before my legs could even touch the grounds, I could see starry dots everywhere before my eyes, then gradually becoming a big patch of black, swallowing my entire vision.


I subconsciously held onto the side of my bed, and slowly crouched down.


As if there was someone calling out my name, sounding close for a moment and distant in another. It took about five to six minutes, and only then the scene before my eyes have gradually cleared up.


You: Was it low blood sugar? I've been feeling dizzy recently. 


I made myself a glass of sugary water, then carefully checked my kitchen before heading out.



As soon as I entered the office, everyone are discussing about the fire last night.



Mao Ge: Have y'all heard of the fire last night? It's too spooky! I've heard that the family has only been using induction cookers, there aren't even any fire in the house, how did the fire happen?!



Zheng Lin: Could it be possibly caused by the aging circuits? Since it's an old community district after all.


Mao Ge: That's possible. But I've also saw this from the forums, they said that there were no source of the fire, because it's the fire of karma!


You: How supernatural!


Mao Ge: Don't you dare not to believe it. I've heard that their family have abandoned a baby girl over 20 years ago. Who knows their daughter got rich later in life, and the parents wanted to have her back. They have actually managed to find her, and the daughter is already a mini boss! The parents thought they will be able to live happily for the rest of their lives and was planning to move in to their daughter's mansion, in the end--



Hao Shuai: What happens in the end? Mao Ge, don't leave us with cliffhangers!


Mao Ge: Last night, the daughter looked for her parents, and just when the three of them gathered, the house caught fire right away! It was midnight, and they weren't using much electronics, if it weren't karma then what is it? Who asked them to abandon babies back then?!


Zheng Lin: But didn't the news said that all three of them were injured? How can this considered as karma?


Mao Ge: I've watched the complete analysis from supernatural group, they said that the reason why they can't find the source of fire was because it's an internal combustion!



Manman: Eeeeew, Mao Ge, don't continue anymore, I can feel my goosebumps already!


Mao Ge: According to my years of experience in watching horror movies, I'm guessing-- The daughter is actually not human, but a spirit that is returning to take their lives, she--


Mao Ge gets more excited as he speaks, that Hao Shuai and Manman had to cover his mouth up.


Hao Shuai: It's a child talk, a child talk*.


*T/N: 童言无忌 is usually said when someone said something extremely spooky, to 'apologize' to any nearby spirits so they won't feel offended and haunt us.


Manman: This conversation ends right here! I'll order some milk tea to calm myself down, anyone else wanna join?



You: Milk tea!


I was overjoyed, but three seconds later, I waved my hand in rejection.


You: Forget it.


Mao Ge: What's wrong? How about we order your favorite one?


Zheng Lin: Is your body not feeling well?


You: Yeah, I don't know what happened either, I've been feeling dizzy recently, perhaps it was because I've been pulling off too much all-nighters and eating too much junk food.


Zheng Lin: Was it dizziness from low blood sugar? Or have you not completely recovered from the time you were sick last time?


You: I don't know too, everything before me would suddenly turn pitch black, I'll hear buzzing echoes in my ears, as if there's someone calling for me. My limbs will go numb, and I wouldn't be able to move--


Mao Ge: My aunt had those symptoms too! After a visit to the hospital, the doctor said it was a tumor that have been pressing onto the nerves thankfully it was benign! 


You: Mao Ge, don't scare me!


Mao Ge: I wasn't scaring you! Check early and you'll have less worries earlier, hurry up and take a day off to have a look at the hospital!


I sat down in anxiousness, and I can't help but to open up the search engine and typed my symptoms.


You: What disease would have dizziness, blurry vision and echoes in hearing?



You: !!! High blood pressure, high blood sugar, cerebral infarction-- how is there even cancer?!


I scrolled a few pages downwards, all of them are listing various types of diseases. But they are all having the same characteristic: they are all serious.


Feeling spooked, I quickly closed the webpage.


You: I'm this young, it can't possibly be happening, right? No it won't, it won't, it won't! ... Won't it really?



A few hours later, in The First Hospital of GuangQi City.


After having my body check done, I nervously sat in front of the doctor.


You: Doctor, may I know why I'm having dizziness?



Doctor: It's difficult for me to say this based on your symptoms, we'll have to wait for the report. But judging from your age and occupation, the possibility of cervical disease is high. Remember to collect your report tomorrow.


You: Sure sure, thank you doctor!


I let out a sigh in relief, and even my footsteps felt lighter.


Just when I was about to walk towards the elevator, a breeze brushes over, and I could see the balcony that has its doors somewhat closed.


A weak, demure voice could be suddenly heard.


You: ?


Sounds like someone is crying.


Walking close to the balcony, the faint cries sounded clearer. I looked towards the slightly opened door, and I can't help but to feel more and more unsettling, so I reached out an arm to push it open.


The sun was so bright, the glasses reflected the scorching rays from the sun. I stopped my footsteps and widened my eyes.


There's a woman sitting on the edge of the balcony not far away! Her legs are both hanging in the air, and she is so frail that it feels like even winds could easily bring her away.


You: !!


Hearing footsteps, she turned around, tears all over her face.


Only then I noticed, more than half of her face has dark-colored traces of burns, and it was a shocking sight.



Long-haired woman: Stop staring at me!


She howls at me like an injured little beast.


You: I'm sorry!


I hurriedly gazed away, yet I could still see her from the corner of my eyes, worrying that she will disappear if I'm not paying attention enough.


Long-haired woman: You were also shocked, correct?


I subconsciously shook my head, but I felt my actions were powerless.


Long-haired woman: You were also shocked, I knew it.


You: I--


I can't simply console her with my words. Right now, I will only bring her greater pressure no matter what I say.


Calm down, you got to think of something.


It's the wards, also it's lunch hour right now too, there will definitely be nurses or caretakers passing by soon.


Delay as much as you cam, then wait for help to arrive.


I quietly stood there, not daring enough to make a move, praying that she has that little bit of will to live, allowing her to pour her emotions to me, and not to decide to end her life right there.


Long-haired woman: If you're just like me, you'd choose to die too, right?


She took a deep breath, there's a stubbornness in her eyes that are just like the moths flying into fires. An endless sky lies behind her petite figure, making her to seem lonely and hopelessness.


Long-haired woman: The doctor told me yesterday, my face will never return to how it was anymore. Didn't they say skin grafting will cure burns? Why can't I recover? I'm not afraid of pain, I'm really not afraid of pain, as long as I can recover, I can do whatever requested-- I was... I was really good looking in the past...


She began trembling as she speaks in a crying voice.


Long-haired woman: My boyfriend told me I'm the kindest lady in the world. I didn't change, I'm still kind, but why did he not want me anymore? I was just buying him birthday present, why did the mall suddenly caught on fire? Why did I not just die in the fire?


She's crying so much that she could no longer utter a word, only a hoarse cry could be heard, with bitterness and resolute written all over her eyes.


Right then, a few screams could be heard from downstairs, looks like there are nurses that have noticed us.



Nurse A: Miss Qin why are you there? It's very dangerous, hurry and come down!


Nurse B: Hurry! Someone hurry up and stop her! Where's the security? Hurry and call the security!


Long-haired woman: Don't come over, don't come over!


Nurse C: Miss Qin, please believe that our hospital will try our best! The expert that we've mentioned to you before, his skills will definitely not disappoint you!


Long-haired woman: But what for? What for?! My life can't return to how it was anymore!


The woman screeches in her cries, with the large shadows of the dark clouds shrouding her.


I suddenly understood, perhaps what she cares right now is no longer her appearance, but an affirmative pledge and trust.


Rather than pain, sometimes, betrayals are more lethal.


The persuasions from downstairs still continued, but the woman's emotions have gotten increasingly agitated. Her body trembles violently, and she is looking like she's about to fall.


If there isn't anyone stopping her, she will really fall!





Chapter 7's Light End can be read here


Night Ends to be updated!


Meanwhile, feel free to check out other translations for Light and Night here!





Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.