[Light and Night Event] Sariel's 2022 Birthday Event Story 04: Bonfire Night + Phone Call || 光与夜之恋 齐司礼生日: 千山净色・篝火夜宴

9/24/2022 11:46:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

 



You may consider reading previous parts from the links below:

Prologue | Part 01 | Part 02 | Part 03 | Part 04 + Phone Call (this post)


For this part of the story, you can start watching the video recording from this timestamp:





Finally arrived the destination...


It's nighttime, and we have finally arrived a meadow. There are many tents scattered across the vast meadow, just like the white pearls in the night skies.


Jangji led us to a tall yurt, opens the felt curtain at the entrance and invites us in.


Jangji: A-ma went to the hillside to take care of Gammu pola, she'll probably be back a little late.


We entered the yurt after him. The decors in vibrant colors are not different from general herdsmen, and the embroideries and woven fabric hung on the walls are unique as well.


Jangji lights up the stove in the middle for once again, and served us two cups of hot tea.


You: Thank you.


The jacket I brought with me in a rush isn't waterproof, and it has became damp throughout my entire day's journey. With the sudden drop in temperature at night, there's basically no way for it to keep me warm.


I held onto the cup of hot tea, and finally felt some warmth after a long time.


Noticing my movements, Sariel turns around to look towards Jangji.


Sariel: May I ask if you have a thicker jacket?


Jangji becomes a little stunned, realizing something right after, and quickly nodded.


Shortly, he brought two sets of clothings for us.


Sariel: Thanks.


The fabric of the robe handed to me is thick and heavy. The motif on it are also extremely gorgeous. Out of my career habit, I can't help but to take a couple more looks at it.


Jangji: You both can get changed first, I'll get something for everyone to eat.


You: We'll help out later too.


Jangji: No need, you are both guests. Also, a-ma exhorted me, that I should serve Mr. Nine Tail well when he arrives.


With that being said, there's no way for me to say anything more either. So I've decided to get changed quickly, then head out to see if there are anything else I could help around with.


Jangji went out, so I carried the robe to the back of a curtain, and Sariel got himself changed outside the curtain.


Although I've studied these kind of apparel before, but I am still a little lost when it comes to wearing them.


On the other side of the curtain, however, sounds of rustling fabric could be heard. Just remembering Sariel is being on the other side makes me subconsciously fluster.


It then became quiet for a few seconds, and a voice sounded from the other side.


Sariel: Are you having trouble wearing it?


You: Eh?


Sariel: I was asking, are you having trouble wearing these type of clothings? Otherwise why haven't you been making any sounds for so long?


Sariel: If you need help... you can let me know.


I was grabbing onto the collar, but was immediately stunned from what I've heard, that I've completely forgotten Sariel couldn't see me at all, and could only shake my head while being all flustered.


You: No need, I'll be done soon!


Sariel didn't say much either, and only made a sound in response.


Sariel: Mm, then I'll head out to have a look.


By the time I frantically get myself changed and walked out of the yurt, there is already a giant bonfire lit in the middle of the meadow, where the bright flames almost brightened the night sky.


Many Erdas have gathered by the bonfire, where songs and laughters weaved together, just like a grand feast in the bonfire night.


You: This setup isn't made to welcome us, right...?


I subconsciously began searching for Sariel's figure in this unfamiliar environment.


Very quickly, I found him with the help from the flame's brightness.




Sariel is donned with a white, long-sleeved robe, where the sleeves for his outer robe are over his waist, with a string of jades hung before his chest, that there's a wonderful feeling upon sight.


He's lowering his gaze, a little spaced out as he stares at the round bronze plate in his hand, and the lights from the bonfire dyed a golden sheen over his drooping hair and lashes.


In a trance, it feels like there's a god who spares his gaze to pity over every insignificant being in this world.


You: Sariel...


I called out to his name softly. There's still quite some distance between us, that a soft voice like this feels like it'll disperse in the night breezes as soon as it is voiced out.


But on the next second, where it was as though we had tacit, Sariel lifts his gaze and looked towards me.


The milky way is clearly visible in the sky, and the golden red flames are burning brightly in the wilderness, where the lights from the flames are dancing all over him, from his hair, to his body.


It was also as though the warmth of the flames have seeped into his gaze, that his gaze became tender.


Sariel: Why are you so slow?


I lifted the hem of the robe, and ran towards him in a few steps.


You: It's my first time wearing this kind of apparel after all.


I tidied my collar, looked at the bronze plate he hasn't managed to keep in time, and I can't help but to feel curious about it.


You: I've been wanting to ask you earlier, but what's this item that you're holding?


Sariel: You can perceive it as a form of talisman.


Sariel: This is something Gammu gave me many years ago, you can say that it's a proof to enter KunLun.


He then hands the bronze plate to me. I received it carefully, turning it as I examine the patterns carved onto the plate in detail.


You: This lotus pattern is so beautiful, the one who made it must have really skillful hands.


Sariel: You can keep it if you like it.


 You: Eh?


I looked towards Sariel in surprise, but he doesn't look like he's joking at all.


You: No need for that, I just wanted to have a look out of curiosity... Moreover, if it's a "token", you can't just simply gift it out, right?


Sariel: It's indeed the token to access KunLun. But didn't you also say that you wanted to come here with me again next time?


Sariel: Then in that case, whether the token is with me, or if it's with you, there aren't any difference to begin with.


Sariel: Moreover, as a talisman, it can also bless you with a safe and smooth-sailing life.


Without expecting him to say this, I stunned, and became uncertain on how I should answer him for a moment.


Just then, we heard Jangji's voice calling out to us to have our meal.


Sariel: Let's go.


By the time I returned to my senses, Sariel has already took a step forward. In a late realization, I stared at the bronze plate in my hand, and blinked.


You: I have yet to even give out my present, but why am I receiving a gift instead...


It feels like the warmth from Sariel's fingertip still lingered on the bronze plate. I smiled as I placed it into my chest, and chased after Sariel's footsteps.


-- I hope this "talisman" can bless the both of us with a safe, and smooth sailing life.


It's a bountiful feast by the night bonfires, and the enthusiasm from the Erdas have also dispelled my bits of worries that I still had earlier.


The barley wine* in my cup is now emptied. I placed the wine cup away, and the breezes in the autumn evening makes me even tipsier.


*Specifically, orge du Tibet (ནས་/ Nas/ Hordeum vulgare subsp. vulgare) that is mainly found in cold highlands such as Tibet, Sichuan, etc.


The surging tipsiness and sleepiness makes me rub my eyes from time to time.


Sariel: I find you oddly persistent at times. Just go to bed if you're sleepy.


You: No, I still have to wait a little more, wait...


It was probably because he mentioned the word "sleepy", that I feel my head becoming a little heavier, and began tilting towards a side.


Until a pair of hands held me, and allowed me to steadily lean onto his shoulder.


Sariel: You don't have to wait for Jangji's mother with me, just get some rest.


You: Hm? I'm not waiting for Jangji's mother...


You: Actually, when I came back to find out his mother isn't here, I was even feeling a little happy about it.


Sariel paused, and he seems to have understood what I meant too. He no longer speaks, only to take another look at the barley wine in his hand.


Perhaps due to tipsiness, I closed my eyes and muttered as I leaned onto Sariel's shoulder.


You: Sariel... what are we coming here for?


You: Although you said that there aren't anything dangerous, but I feel that...


You: If it's something that requires you to travel this far to handle it, it must be something that can't be solved easily.


You: Hearing your conversation with Jangji makes me even more certain of it. But... I don't want to ask for further details.


You: Because I think, at least on the day of your birthday, at this hour of 12AM, you can temporarily put those complicated matters aside.


You: Only to think about your birthday, and to enjoy the simplest form of joy.


Sariel did not speak, and unsure of how long has passed, I heard a very soft response from somewhere close within reach.


Sariel: Mm.


The cold fragrance of the wine wafts along with his breath, and the starry skies seems to have also became blurry because of my tipsiness.


I have never seen a starry sky like this, where the twinkling stars look like fireflies all over the skies.


I lowered my head to look at my wristwatch, and it's less than a minute until 12AM.


"Click". As the minute hand meets the hourly hand, I straightened myself up.


You: Happy birthday, Sariel!

I happily raised my wine cup to bump into Sariel's. Unable to dodge, he could only touch his cup with mine.


You: This is my present for you! Ta-da--


I carefully took out a golden amber pendant in my palms, and held it towards him.


You: I made this amber myself.


A soft flower petal is solidified in the center of the round amber, and complemented by the light from the flames, the pure crystal looks like it's glowing as well.


Sariel stares at it for a good while, and finally reaches an arm to receive it and place it in his palm.


Sariel: Is that a petal of Princess of the Night inside? 


You: Yeah! It's epiphyllum pumilum.


You: I wish to gift you the most beautiful moment, and I hope for every second of yours in the future to be the best moments of your life.


I don't have an idea on how much tough times he has been through in eons of his lifetime, but I wish for his future to be filled with beautiful wonders.


Sariel: This blessing is very much like your usual demeanor. So greedy that you're being so specific to the second?


You: Because you don't make wishes, so of course I had to be greedier, so I can help you to make all of the wishes you've missed.


I spoke as if it's the matter of course, and remembering the bronze plate earlier, I pointed at the amber again.


You: You can also treat it as a talisman specially from me, just like the bronze plate earlier.


You: But it's more powerful than the one earlier, not only it can bless you with a safe and smooth-sailing life, it can also bless you to be happy at anywhere and anytime.


Sariel: Only heartless people like you would be happy anywhere and anytime.


You: Then how about I keep staying by your side, and share my happiness with you forever?


I smiled as I continued his words, but I didn't expect to hear an affirmative voice right in the next second.


Sariel: Okay.


Sariel holds the pendant in his palm, where his amber-like golden pupils reflect my figure within.


Sariel: As the "token" of what you've just said, I'll accept the amber.


In the ancient mountains of KunLun, the starry night still remain twinkling.


I gazed at Sariel, and in a trance, there's no way for me to tell if I'm in a dream or in the reality, that it feels like we have also became a part of the ancient folklores.


The bright lights from the flames are just like the golden amber, tenderly shrouding us within.


Time seems to have really froze right at this moment.





Time seems to have really froze right at this moment.







[Phone Call]


Sariel: Are you still awake?


You: Yeah, maybe it was because I had too much barley wine earlier, I'm still feeling a little giddy...


You: Although I'm feeling very sleepy, but I'm also feeling a little excited at the same time, it feels very weird.


Sariel: Someone has finally began feeling unwell, huh?


Sariel: Who was the one who got all noisy and pestering me to give her cup back as soon as I took her wine cup away?


Sariel: Even saying something like "I'm not drunk", and even want to prove it to me by walking a straight line, then ending up wobbling left and right and almost tripped herself.


You: I think I remember a little... Thank goodness you were there to hold me in time, otherwise my face is probably full of weed now.


You: Speaking of it, Sariel, why are you giving me a call? Aren't we just separated by a curtain...


You: Huh, why are you gone?


Sariel: *sighs* I've told you that I'm going to brew some sobering tea over Jangji's place before I left didn't I.


Sariel: I'll go back once it's done.


You: That's wonderful, otherwise my head will definitely burst when I wake up in the next morning.


You: Then, before the sobering tea is done, can you chat with me?


Sariel: What do you want to chat about?


You: There are so many... I can't fall asleep anyway, so I thought of many, many things earlier.


Sariel: It's most likely nothing good if you were to think about it for so long during midnight.


You: You're right, it's true that most of them are things that can't be solved, that I could only feel troubled with...


You: How about we talk about something else instead?


Sariel: If you aren't saying it now, you'll still think about it some time later.


Sariel: Rather than spacing out at the ceiling and be stubborn over it on your own, might as well tell say it out directly.


Sariel: Perhaps it can't be completely solved in the end, but at least, I will listen to all of them.


You: Yeah, actually I'm just... feeling a little scared.


Sariel (in a very tender tone): What are you afraid of?


You: Time...


You: Although I said I wanted to stay by your side and share my happiness with you forever, but I know I can't do it at all.


You: My forever, might be just a short instant to you, right?


You: With this in mind, I suddenly feel the need to seize every second of life, and I'm really afraid that time will disappear meaninglessly just like that.


Sariel: *sighs* It's normal to feel afraid about it.


Sariel: There are very little people in this world who can really be unfazed towards the flow of time.


You: Then what about you, Sariel? Would you feel afraid too?


Sariel: ... I do now.


Sariel: However, it is rather meaningless to only keep being afraid.


Sariel: Do you still remember what you told me last year on this day?


You: What? I have so much to tell you every day...


Sariel: *chuckles* So you do know that you're very talkative, huh.


You: At least not all of them are nonsense... I've definitely said something very logical, that you still remember even after so long have passed.


Sariel: It has nothing to do with the content. I remember everything you said.


Sariel: Back then, you said, human lifespans are actually short*, the longest wouldn't exceed a hundred years, we have to seize the time to leave special memories.


*Reference to last year's birthday call. Refer here.


Sariel: So, no matter how much you squeeze your brains out to ponder and feel troubled over it, they are all only adding more to your troubles.


Sariel: Might as well just doing what you feel like doing, just like how you always do.


Sariel: Although time would not stop for anyone, but memories can last for an eternity.


You: Hm... It's really hard to imagine myself hearing these words from you.


You: But I think you're very correct, I shouldn't be thinking nonsense indeed!


You: I've decided to do just as you say, to execute what's on my mind immediately.


Sariel: What's on your mind?


You: Seeing you, of course.


You: But I'm still feeling a little dizzy, and the yurts around here are all looking about the same, I might not be able to tell the difference...


Sariel: It's the best for you to remain still, just stay there and wait for my return.


You: Is the sobering tea ready?


Sariel: It is still going to take some time.


You: I'll head out in that case then, you can point a direction for me, then I probably won't be lost...


Sariel: No need, I'm almost back to the yurt.


Sariel: We'll look for Jangji to retrieve the sobering tea once you're feeling better.


You: Eh?


Sariel: Executing what's on your mind immediately, no?


Sariel: Just like you... seeing you, is also what I wish to do the most right now.





- The End -


Other parts:

You may consider reading previous parts from the links below:

Prologue | Part 01 | Part 02 | Part 03 | Part 04 + Phone Call (this post)





Translates on an irregular basis, works on short bursts of energy, suffering in muscle spasms. Travelled from north to south of Japan but would go back again and again. Also a polyglot.